• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PC gaming still considered difficult with too much tinkering?

PC gaming is fantastic if you care enough about a darker shadow here, a more detailed texture there and the obvious jump to 60fps for the multiplatform games that aren't 60fps on console.

Personally I just can't be bothered. Playing the big AAA multiplats on a PC always felt like I was playing emulated versions of console games. I guess that's what happens when you grew up with consoles and have spent the better part of 35 years playing on them. I imagine PC's are great if you like the exclusives, especially genres like RTS and MMO's.

I did dabble in PC gaming last year but it just wasn't for me. If I wanted to sit at a desk and dick around with a mouse and keyboard I would work in an office.

This 2007-as-fuck post is 2007-as-fuck.

watdaeff4

Sändersson;249933528 said:
And you have to play league of legends because...?

I've also toyed with the idea from time to time of a gaming PC but also if I did so.....I would want to hook up to a TV and sit on my sofa to play.

While online shooters aren't my favorite genre I do like play them some throughout the year. I would be at a huge disadvantage

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Playing a console. Step 1: plug it in and connect to your TV.
Step 2: insert disc. Install update.
Step 3: play

PC owners need to understand the appeal of that convenience. I don't want to piss around with drivers and graphics cards and keyboards and installs and upgrades. I mean, why even bother anyway? My next Playstation will match what your PC does now, so I can wait. The PS4 pisses all over PCs from 10 years ago. Consoles are progressing regardless.

The other thing I don't get about PC gaming? You cry on about insane specs and graphics and then you play on tiny monitors. I play on a giant OLED TV and I know what I prefer.

PC gaming is fantastic if you care enough about a darker shadow here, a more detailed texture there and the obvious jump to 60fps for the multiplatform games that aren't 60fps on console.

Personally I just can't be bothered. Playing the big AAA multiplats on a PC always felt like I was playing emulated versions of console games.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Pls stop, my sides

Rellik

Haha, yeah it really reminds me of the "Pc gaming is dead" era, around the time of Halo 3's release.

It's fucking hilarious.

I hate gaming on a keyboard and mouse and I hate sitting at a desk yet I game on PC. I wonder how I achieve this magic? 🤷

I find console to be far more user friendly and intuitive. There's no requirement to trigger firmware updates, game updates happen in the background and there's virtually no need to pamper the hardware with drivers, tweaks and upgrades.

Developers can target the hardware more specifically, checkerboard rendering being the a good example of this.

Don't get me wrong, I used to PC game a lot and I owe a lot fo my best experiences to PC games, especially RPGs like Baldurs Gate. I'm no fool either (Network Engineer) but I simply don't have the energy for it now that I have a family to balance too.

Couple that with the benefits of a nice couch and great controllers (Xbox). It's a no brainer for me.

Still love you PC GAF.

Lol you just made your whole post look like bullshit with this.

I've also toyed with the idea from time to time of a gaming PC but also if I did so.....I would want to hook up to a TV and sit on my sofa to play.

While online shooters aren't my favorite genre I do like play them some throughout the year. I would be at a huge disadvantage

Personally I would use something like steam link to stream the games on the tv if I would actually want to game on it.

Besides anyone who has ever played with a high refresh rate gsync/freesync monitor of any resolution would probably never use a tv to game again.

Renekton

Yeah, same here on a stock 4690k paired with a 970. I haven't played ME:A so I have no frame of reference for that, but Destiny 2 and BF1 ran well without any really noticeable dips below 60. When one of those blimps comes falling down, sure it'll dip for a moment or two but I haven't had any significant issues beyond that. I ran BF1 with almost all settings maxed at 1080p iirc, same for Destiny.

Ah, you're talking about non-K. So I guess that's where the difference may lie. I was running my K model at stock speeds though, so it's still a little strange.
If not overclocked, your 4690K should be similar.

BF1 even stresses out the 4790K, nevermind our Haswell i5s.

I built a new PC earlier in the year. Never built one before, literally watched two youtube videos totalling less than an hour long and knew everything I needed to know to put everything together, install Windows from a flash drive and flash a new BIOS on to my motherboard, plus overclock my CPU, RAM and graphics card.

Only had issues with playing Crysis 1 on it, due to the game being 10 years old and needing an unofficial patch. A problem that would've been eliminated by buying through GOG instead of Steam.

Other than that, I've had a few crashes on Rainbow Six Siege, but I also had that game crash just as often on PS4.

It cost a lot more than a console, it was more hassle than a console and yet I'm completely fine with that as it allows me to tailor the experience to my liking.
If I want to play a game at 144FPS, I can.
If I want to max out the graphics, I can.
If I want to play with a controller, I can.
And so on.

PC gaming is the most open and accommodating platform to play games however you want to. Only limited by your budget and imagination.

You'll still be at a huge disadvantage on consoles when you're put up against people using low input lag monitors and keyboard and mouse adapters.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
well considering getting a controller to work with steam big picture is a fucking miracle I can see why people think its too cumbersome.

Rellik

well considering getting a controller to work with steam big picture is a fucking miracle I can see why people think its too cumbersome.

I press the power button on my Xbox One Elite controller to turn it on and then press it again to boot up Steam Big Picture Mode where it works perfectly.

Really difficult pressing 1 button twice.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
People on these kinds of threads tend to gravitate on the extremes on both sides, lol, either that you need a pH.D degree first in order to do PC gaming or that you can just say ALAKAZAM and everything will be automatically set up for you for a 100% smooth no-problem experience, hahah.

Ushay

Sändersson;249933363 said:
Gotta love me dem microsoft exclusive couches and xbox controllers which totally dont work for pc's.

Its almost like raising walls and roof as pc exclusive features. Consoles being a "no brainer" for you is fine amd dandy, but this weird justification is really annoying.

Couches and controllers aren't console exclusive though.

Almost as if you guys didn't read the first few lines of my post.

I find console to be far more user friendly and intuitive. There's no requirement to trigger firmware updates, game updates happen in the background and there's virtually no need to pamper the hardware with drivers, tweaks and upgrades.

Developers can target the hardware more specifically, checkerboard rendering being the a good example of this.

Don't get me wrong, I used to PC game a lot and I owe a lot fo my best experiences to PC games, especially RPGs like Baldurs Gate. I'm no fool either (Network Engineer) but I simply don't have the energy for it now that I have a family to balance too.

My argument isn't against PC, like I said I used to game a whole lot on PC, but life and circumstances changed. My choices may be weird for some of you, bizarre even, but then everyone has different tastes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The cost argument has always been a straw argument.

1. A PC is a multi functional device, not just a media device. It's simply more useful than a console. It functions as a device I can game on, program on, use Aspen, etc. I can't do this on console.
2. Doesn't really cost more once you take into account accessories, games, online, etc. There is no monthly fee. Games are cheaper. You don't need accessories for functionality. Nor need to spend 50 a year for discounts, which are still worse than PC.

It costs more upfront, but you're getting a better device and will save hundreds more on the back end.

hoserx

My argument isn't against PC, like I said I used to game a whole lot on PC, but life and circumstances changed. My choices may be weird for some of you, bizarre even, but then everyone has different tastes.

I read your entire post. It would have been fine if you stopped before that line.

Widge

Cost also has nothing to do with the perception of difficulty and tinkering.

That perception exists because it still exists. I only game on PC at the moment. You do need a certain level of investment and competence to go in on PC gaming. I would never recommend it to anyone who doesn't have this mindset.

From personal experience - I don't have any issues with drivers or whatnot. I did have an issue with Windows 10 once buggering up wireless XB1 pads. I have issues with some games. It just happens. You search and put time into sorting it out or you just drop the game, or you sit on one of the performance threads on here and kind of crowdsource a way forward.

From the outside, this looks like a pain in the arse. It's got better, better than it has ever been. I can't see it going away though. Not unless the platform got closed off and managed.

Couple that with the benefits of a nice couch and great controllers (Xbox). It's a no brainer for me.

Still love you PC GAF.

Gotta admit reading it a second time made it seem even more ludicrous. I cant even remember when windows did not download updates in the backround. Im quite sure the same goes for games since I have never had a moment when I wanted to boot a game up and was greeted with a friendly "downloading patch" message.

GHG

Playing a console. Step 1: plug it in and connect to your TV.
Step 2: insert disc. Install update.
Step 3: play

PC owners need to understand the appeal of that convenience. I don't want to piss around with drivers and graphics cards and keyboards and installs and upgrades. I mean, why even bother anyway? My next Playstation will match what your PC does now, so I can wait. The PS4 pisses all over PCs from 10 years ago. Consoles are progressing regardless.

The other thing I don't get about PC gaming? You cry on about insane specs and graphics and then you play on tiny monitors. I play on a giant OLED TV and I know what I prefer.

This must be a joke post.

Someone can't actually believe all this tripe, surely not?

hoserx

I did say 'couple that' meaning it wasn't an exclusive statement. I know how stupid it sounds using couch + controller as an individual reason :)

I think we're arguing semantics here, but you were discussing reasons for preferring consoles so listing something that both pc and console have access to doesn't make sense.

It'd be like saying "couple that with FPS games and racing games", something available on both platforms.

I wonder how many updates people think pc gamers are forced to go through? I update my gpu drivers like maybe 4 times a year. The only other updates I deal with are windows/hardware (mice keyboards) and games. And since my pc is typically running most of the time that stuff downloads and updates in that background anyways. Most games work without issue. Sure sometimes you'll get a really bad port but they're the exception not the norm.

Console gaming has its place and I understand why people enjoy it. Its simple, straightforward and requires little input by the consumer to get it working. In return for pc gaming requiring more action on my part I get more control over my experience in games.. More resolution options. 21:9 aspect ratio. Higher frame rates. Better graphics etc. Someone posted that the next console iterations would do what pcs can do now. Maybe in terms of visuals but I doubt console games are ever going to embrace 144hz-240z in the near future. In certain genres that has pretty much become essential. Consoles seem to be too worried about 4k resolution though and that probably will be the focus next gen. Honestly I really don't care about 4k gaming. There are other options id take over 4k in pc gaming in practically every genre. Shooters 144hz+. Racing games ultrawide plus 60+ frame rate. Strategy games ultrawide. Action games possibly ultrawide 60hz+ or 144hz standard 16:9 aspect ratio. Maybe I'd prefer 4k in slower paced games like walking simulators.

I wonder how many updates people think pc gamers are forced to go through? I update my gpu drivers like maybe 4 times a year. The only other updates I deal with are windows/hardware (mice keyboards) and games. And since my pc is typically running most of the time that stuff downloads and updates in that background anyways. Most games work without issue. Sure sometimes you'll get a really bad port but they're the exception not the norm.

Console gaming has its place and I understand why people enjoy it. Its simple, straightforward and requires little input by the consumer to get it working. In return for pc gaming requiring more action on my part I get more control over my experience in games.. More resolution options. 21:9 aspect ratio. Higher frame rates. Better graphics etc. Someone posted that the next console iterations would do what pcs can do now. Maybe in terms of visuals but I doubt console games are ever going to embrace 144hz-240z in the near future. In certain genres that has pretty much become essential.

And they are usually all automatic. You just need to press the install button when the updates are downloaded. Just like you have to press the accept button on consoles.

Sändersson;249935208 said:
And they are usually all automatic. You just need to press the install button when the updates are downloaded. Just like you have to press the accept button on consoles.

yep. I still counted it because it requires some input on the users behalf.

SPCTRE

Even building a PC with your own hands has become surprisingly easy compared to, say, 15 or 20 years ago ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Updating (and chosing, mind you) gfx drivers? That used to be a meta game in and of itself, now you can effectively set it up to be completely unnoticeable to the end user.

Tons of old games don't even require any tinkering anymore because there are services now like GOG ensuring compatibility for you.

So yeah, there hardly is a gap between console and PC user experiences anymore (unless you want there to be one, in which case you can still sort of... create one).

elyetis

If I don't choose to play on my 1400p Gsync monitor at a distance probably making it fill as much of my FoV as your giant OLED TV, I have both my consoles and computer plugged to the same Video Projector...

shaneo632

I think a lot of people are put off by the fact that if something breaks down it can be more of a hassle to get it working again.

Sony and Microsoft have a very standardised returns/repair process but with PCs, especially if you've ordered your build from a smaller site online, it can be a bit of a mess.

Not saying it's an entirely logical fear, but it's not totally illogical either. I have a custom build I bought off e-bay 3 years ago and fixing stuff has been a bit of a time sink when I couldn't figure out how to get it working again.

The_Lump

Banned
The PC building part of PC gaming has never really been *that* difficult, it mostly just used to look more complicated than it was.

Either way, nowadays it's no more difficult than a Meccano set. Probably simpler.

Even overclocking is simple nowadays. Gone are the days of using pencil lead to colour in parts of your CPU to unlock the multiplier in BIOS ;)

univbee

At the end of the day the problem isn't the "too difficult" part, but more the "too much tinkering" part. Which is to say there's very very little of it, especially if you know what you're doing, but it's still at least a tiny bit higher than with consoles and that's enough to be a turnoff for an alarmingly large section of the population.

This is probably the least significant issue with PC gaming for the masses compared to its other issues, but that's probably best-suited for a different thread.

I grew up playing PC games. My dad would often build his own PC and I'd remember him trying to get things to work and eventually they would. I played Doom, Doom II, Civilization, etc all when they came out. Thought it was great.

When I was in high school I bought myself a playstation and pretty much stuck with consoles for 15 years after that. A couple years ago I made the decision to switch to PC gaming, and knew it could be finicky and could be a pain building my own PC.

I researched and bought a modest PC, built it, installed Steam, downloaded a few games and they worked. Every other game I've bought to date has "just worked too." No tinkering, no messing around with drivers and stuff. It's just as easy and painless as console gaming. I love it, and if I wanted to I could be gaming on my TV...with my PC. I just choose not to.

Days of endless messing around are gone, and people that think otherwise are just ignorant.

I just ran into an issue where DOOM was just not loading and kept crashing due to low memory

Keep in mind, this came out of nowhere as DOOM would boot normally for 3 months.

Turns out, it was the system pagefile being too small and even then, I still had to put the string in to skip the splash screens because it would hang badly..

That's what people are talking about. When the consoles just play the game after downloading... Some people don't want to deal with the PC where your game is perfect and 2 months later, it doesn't boot anymore

univbee

I just ran into an issue where DOOM was just not loading and kept crashing due to low memory

Keep in mind, this came out of nowhere as DOOM would boot normally for 3 months.

Turns out, it was the system pagefile being too small and even then, I still had to put the string in to skip the splash screens because it would hang badly..

That's what people are talking about. When the consoles just play the game after downloading... Some people don't want to deal with the PC where your game is perfect and 2 months later, it doesn't boot anymore

A somewhat similar problem I had on an out-of-the-box PC, is that an Intel process would lock files and prevent them from being updated (and since an update existed, the games refused to run). Have to kill the Intel process for it to work and block it from loading. This was on a "Republic of Gamers" PC, too.

The correct answer WAS in the Steam Discussion forums but a little buried, there were several threads where there was no answer or the answer didn't apply.

My first attempt at fixing the issue was uninstalling and reinstalling the Steam client. This revealed something I didn't know and wasn't mentioned by the uninstaller; uninstalling Steam deletes all your Steam games. Good thing I have gigabit and redownloading the 600 gigs of games didn't take long.

thumb

Banned
I would echo those saying that the primary issue is not difficulty, it's more the tinkering sometimes needed to get things to work right.

And I say this as someone who uses a gaming PC as his primary platform. Gaming PCs are great, and PC gaming has come a long way in terms of usability. Modern gaming PCs are not hard to use.

But issues do still arise: if you don't believe me, read the "PC performance threads" that accompany major releases on GAF. Many of the posts are devoted to getting things to work properly, or to trying to diagnose annoying performance problems.

So yes, it's fine to laugh at all the "$5000 gaming PC", "comfy couch" stuff, but know that PC gaming still has some issues.

Deadstar

It's because things don't always work. I bought Mass Effect Andromeda and the game won't run. I also bought Tekken 7 on steam and it gives me a d3d error. The game came out months ago and this still isn't fixed. You rarely have these issues on consoles.

mebizzle

The people who claim that PC gaming is as simple as console gaming are as close-minded as the folks that say you have to endlessly tweak things. Consoles have a place, PCs have a place, neither is intrinsically better than the other because they serve two different functions, with differing audiences.

This is a stupid argument.

JWiLL

Banned
I built my own PC in December off of nothing but Youtube tutorials. Since then I've upgraded the graphics card and CPU cooler. While removing the processor, cleaning it, and reapplying thermal paste was slightly terrifying, it wasn't difficult.

It's definitely easier than ever to build, but I can see why it's not for everyone.

The only thing I find strange is when the console crowd tries to convince themselves that their ease of use leads to a better experience or something. If PC players want to play on a couch with a controller, they can do that too. I'd much rather be on my 27" 1440p/165hz G Sync though.

Top Bottom