• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
stuburns said:
But that's altering the game. Does it alter the native resolution without altering the game? I don't see how that works because the game itself has a native resolution, it's not like a PC game where you can alter it. Console games don't usually give you the option. If the resolution was fixed at the console level I'd understand, but it's not.

It all makes sense.
The texture resolution is much higher, IIRC from my days following the 1964 Hi-Res texture project, the textures were at least 4x higher res than the N64 could ever handle.

Not so sure about this, but the more I think about the possibility of Wii in 720p, the more I've realized we seriously need a graph highlighting the difference between 'I could care less' and 'I couldn't care less.'

MNC

caring.png

stuburns said:
But that's altering the game. Does it alter the native resolution without altering the game? I don't see how that works because the game itself has a native resolution, it's not like a PC game where you can alter it. Console games don't usually give you the option. If the resolution was fixed at the console level I'd understand, but it's not.

It all makes sense.

If you don't believe us, go download epsxe or pcsx, configure your settings to output at whatever resolution you want, pop in any retail PS1 disk and behold the wonder of emualtion.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
mentalfloss said:
Not so sure about this, but the more I think about the possibility of Wii in 720p, the more I've realized we seriously need a graph highlighting the difference between 'I could care less' and 'I couldn't care less.'

MNC said:

:lol

Borman

stuburns said:

It all makes sense.

Yes, the actual resolution it is being rendered at is higher. The image isnt being upscaled or anything. Look at just about any 3d system out there, and its possible. It's not a PC game, no, but it doesn't change that an emulator can change the resolution.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Guybrush Threepwood said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXEwDsssA94&fmt=22

This is really unprecedented in the history of video games. How many times has a competent emulator for Console X not only been released during Console X's lifetime, but is actually an improvement over Console X? You can argue that Wii hardware isn't "current-gen" hardware, but this is still astounding.

The emulator isn't perfect, but that's the thing: it's only going to improve as time goes on.

What does this mean for the Wii and for the video game industry?
It probably means that the emulator community is gonna come under increasing scrutiny from Nintendo and their lawyers, which is probably a bad thing. Hopefully this is remains a hobbyist type thing or it could open a whole can of worms.

Totobeni said:
absolutely nothing

also if you don't know , devices like Neoya X2VGA , XCM 1080p Mega-cool VGA or Denon AVR 2808 can upscale PS2 , Wii , Dreamcast , Gamecube games to 720p or 1080 better than this shitty emu .

The ignorance on GAF has towards emulation is dumbfounding. Its honestly the only way to make PS1 and N64 games playable again yet so many seem oblivious to it.

True fact: Nintendo renders N64 games at twice their native resolution when running through the Wii, using the exact same methods that homebrew developers have done for a decade.

I think it looks sweet, maybe a couple years down the road this'll be the best way to play Wii. I'm even more excited to see what they do with the Wii Online community.

StuBurns

Banned
brain_stew said:
If you don't believe us, go download epsxe or pcsx, configure your settings to output at whatever resolution you want, pop in any retail PS1 disk and behold the wonder of emualtion.
I believe you guys of course, I just have no idea how it works. Take a game like Ico, which ran at sub SD resolution. There's no option in the game to alter that. I don't doubt if you could hack the game you could alter the native resolution, but I don't understand how the emulator would be able to do that.

I've used emulators before, but it's been years. I'll check one out thanks.

zigg

jett said:
lulz no, you need to read on up emulators, games can actually natively run on higher resolutions. Actually in the case of the N64 you can even replace textures within the games to get results like this:

2313735216_88794d4923.jpg

Dear God, that looks horrible.

nincompoop said:
I guess this means the Wii is the only current gen console whose games can all be rendered in HD resolutions.

:lol

I dont think he can get around the fact that rendered polygons are just virtual floating points connected together to form a plane which is then textured. Since this is just information and not static images, an emulator can take a drawn polygon and render it at a higher resolution between the floating points.

James.jpg

this is ffXII being rendered at 2560 x something ( i cant remember what i had it at). It ran at 40fps.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
stuburns said:
I believe you guys of course, I just have no idea how it works. Take a game like Ico, which ran at sub SD resolution. There's no option in the game to alter that. I don't doubt if you could hack the game you could alter the native resolution, but I don't understand how the emulator would be able to do that.

Because a game's output rendering, from what I'm aware, isn't largely controlled by the game itself, but the hardware, firmware, and OS of the system it's running on.

It's why you can't just play console games on a PC off the bat. There needs to be some kind of software that renders the game files, hence the existence of emulators.

Because the software is emulating it its own way on different hardware, it has complete control over the way the game is rendered. An emulator built to render at a higher resolution can in turn render a game, art assets and all, at a higher resolution.

Doesn't mean it will run well or there wont be graphics issues.

stuburns said:

I've used emulators before, but it's been years. I'll check one out thanks.

Its implementations of high level emulation that make it possible.

StuBurns

Banned
EatChildren said:
Because a game's output rendering, from what I'm aware, isn't largely controlled by the game itself, but the hardware, firmware, and OS of the system it's running on.
This is where we disagree. In the example I gave, Ico, it isn't outputting in some insanely high resolution but the PS2 is making it sub-SD, because why would it? That is the native resolution of the software itself.

In games with HD mode on PS2 you have to activate it in the game, not the console.

Datrio

Shinz Kicker said:
this is ffXII being rendered at 2560 x something ( i cant remember what i had it at). It ran at 40fps.
Holy fuck, do want, now. I think emulation is the only reason I want a higher-end PC. So I can connect it to a HDTV and play hi-res PS2/Wii games.

So it safe to say the next Nintendo system will do 720p (at least) and upscale the current lineup of Wii games?

In looking at the video it looks great, would definitely want to see more of this later on.

What does this mean for the Wii and for the video game industry?
It means that the Wii is built with eight year old hardware that PCs have more than enough power to emulate, several times over.

So basically absolutely nothing we didn't already know.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
stuburns said:
This is where we disagree. In the example I gave, Ico, it isn't outputting in some insanely high resolution but the PS2 is making it sub-SD, because why would it? That is the native resolution of the software itself.

In games with HD mode on PS2 you have to activate it in the game, not the console.

Well yeah, the software still has influence over the output resolutions. It's why older PC games have limited resolutions, and some newer PC games have limited resolution output. It's why some Xbox360 and PS3 games can only display at 720p despite the console supporting 1080p.

But with the right software this kind of stuff can be overridden, and that's where emulation comes in. Emulation can override a software's 'coded' output resolutions. It's how we get console games emulating on PC in such high resolutions, and how some older PC games get modded to support new resolutions.

It's entirely doable.

StuBurns

Banned
Shinz Kicker said:
I dont think he can get around the fact that rendered polygons are just virtual floating points connected together to form a plane which is then textured. Since this is just information and not static images, an emulator can take a drawn polygon and render it at a higher resolution between the floating points.

http://jasonwynkoop.com/stuff/James.jpg[IMG]

this is ffXII being rendered at 2560 x something ( i cant remember what i had it at). It ran at 40fps.[/QUOTE]
I understand how altering a native resolution works, I just don't understand how they are doing it without hacking the game in some way.

stuburns said:

When people code a game they have to work with what they have. By building the game at that lower resolution they can get more effect on it. Its why halo 3 is sub 720.

when you no longer have the restrictions of said console you can tell your emulator which is now your "console" to render it at higher resolution since it is not being held back by standard specs.

StuBurns

Banned
Shinz Kicker said:
When people code a game they have to work with what they have. By building the game at that lower resolution they can get more effect on it. Its why halo 3 is sub 720.

when you no longer have the restrictions of said console you can tell your emulator which is now your "console" to render it at higher resolution since it is not being held back by standard specs.

I know why some console games rendered at lower resolutions. I don't know how emulators change this because the native resolution is in the game, not the console or console OS.

Haunted

nincompoop said:
I guess this means the Wii is the only current gen console whose games can all be rendered in HD resolutions.
Well played.

VictimOfGrief said:
So it safe to say the next Nintendo system will do 720p (at least) and upscale the current lineup of Wii games?

In looking at the video it looks great, would definitely want to see more of this later on.
Who's to say, really? Wii's image quality seems to be 'good enough' for the large majority of consumers - just like Youtube quality was 'good enough' and it became this huge phenomenon, even though far superior options like stage6 and other HD sites were available at the same time.

Then again, Youtube did get an update to display HQ - and more importantly - HD videos, so hopefully Nintendo steps up and delivers HD content with Wii's successor. :D

Blizzard

Banned
So dumb question, but is there a legal way to rip my own ISO image off of my Brawl disk? I have the same system as the one running in the video, except I'm not overclocked and my graphics card is wimpier. But uh...I still kinda want to try it. :D

jett

D-Member
stuburns said:

It all makes sense.

Don't you get it? The PC is effectively replacing the console, you can do whatever the hell you want to the game.

fake edit: You can call it hacking the game if it makes you better understand the process, this is something that's been going for over a decade. Stop being so obtuse and just accept it. :p

Zoc

stuburns said:
I know why some console games rendered at lower resolutions. I don't know how emulators change this because the native resolution is in the game, not the console or console OS.

I don't understand it either, but then I barely understand anything about the way computers or consoles work. They do what they do, don't get hung up on this one point.

I'd like to see MadWorld in 720p

Haunted said:
Who's to say, really? Wii's image quality seems to be 'good enough' for the large majority of consumers - just like Youtube quality was 'good enough' and it became this huge phenomenon, even though far superior options like stage6 and other HD sites were available at the same time.

Then again, Youtube did get an update to display HQ - and more importantly - HD videos, so hopefully Nintendo steps up and delivers HD content with Wii's successor. :D

Couldn't they just find a way to upscale games to 720p with the current Wii, like an external box or something?

btw, that reasoning you said is one reason why OnLive might actually work for a lot of people.

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
Don't you get it? The PC is effectively replacing the console, you can do whatever the hell you want to the game.

fake edit: You can call it hacking the game if it makes you better understand the process, this is something that's been going for over a decade. Stop being so obtuse and just accept it. :p
Obtuse would imply it's been explained and I didn't understand. It hasn't. People saying things like "high level emulation" is about as explanatory as saying "it's magic", or "God did it".

Forgot it, I'll read up on it or something.

jett

D-Member
Linkzg said:

Couldn't they just find a way to upscale games to 720p with the current Wii, like an external box or something?

btw, that reasoning you said is one reason why OnLive might actually work for a lot of people.

Upscaling wouldn't really deliver the same results.

Link1110

This is really unprecedented in the history of video games. How many times has a competent emulator for Console X not only been released during Console X's lifetime, but is actually an improvement over Console X?
ePSXe could do that well before they stopped making ps1 games. I remember buying Mega Man X6 the day it came out, taking it right home,, and playing it on emulator. I couldn't even beat that stupid thing with savestates.

Oxymoron

stuburns said:
Obtuse would imply it's been explained and I didn't understand. It hasn't. People saying things like "high level emulation" is about as explanatory as saying "it's magic", or "God did it".

Forgot it, I'll read up on it or something.
Games run at a set resolution on consoles because the power of the console is fixed, and the developers optimise the game to run on that resolution with the effects they want, hopefully without slowdown. With the PC, you have different options because the power of the machines vary wildly. However, there isn't anything inherently different about console game code vs PC game code, so, given a machine with enough power (like a really powerful PC), you can render console games at a higher resolution and have it be functional.

Haunted

Linkzg said:

External box? Hm, that would be unorthodox. I don't think Nintendo is planning anything of the sort. Maybe they'll go the DSi stopgap route - slightly more powerful redesign (Wii+) allows for 720p upscaling resulting in cleaner image quality, but not much more.

And yeah, OnLive has massive potential. Could flop or become the next big thing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've no real experience with emulators at all, but how can I get this to work (legally?)?

Install emulator?

Pop Wii game in dvd drive?

Play?

Simple as that? Will it recognise wii-mote input with a bluetooth adaptor?

(I'm thinking it's not quite like this..afterall, if it was, my Wii hardware would be pretty redundant. Which would suit me fine, but sounds too good to be true!).

Top Bottom