• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii - European launch

Volt

Polari said:
Who cares, it's Red Steel.

Well yeah :D
But still, it wouldn't make sense, and it would also be kinda worrisome if Ubi started making games like that for the Wii crows. Way to make sure the mainstream audience can't play your games! So I really do hope it's a cock-up on the box

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Volt said:
There's a 3-screen Settings menu that basically let's you choose what kind of TV you're using. HDTV is unselectable without the component cable, so yeah, display settings can be selected just like you would suspect.

50Hz, 60Hz and EDTV/HDTV?

Kaeru

Banned
Polari said:
Who cares, it's Red Steel.

please STFU

Just because american reviewers are too stupid to realise that every FPS doesnt have to work like Halo or GoW, doesnt mean Europeans can't appreciate this FPS for what it is.

Dachande

Kaeru said:
please STFU

Just because american reviewers are too stupid to realise that every FPS doesnt have to work like Halo or GoW, doesnt mean Europeans can't appreciate this FPS for what it is.

What, suck?

Amir0x

Banned
Kaeru said:
please STFU

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*breathes in*

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Polari

Kaeru said:
please STFU

Bye. :)

SuomiDude

Kaeru does have a point though. So far pretty much all European reviews have been at least 8+ (that I know at least). Even if there was some under 8 scores, the average is still higher than what US reviews have been, much better.

Also it looks like the more people play the game, the more they like it. US reviewers had to rush through the game as quickly as possible, some probably didn't even play it that much. It takes a lot of time to master the game that I've heard, but it apparently pays off as well.

I don't even care much for the game, but the mindless bashing is getting ridiculous.

EDIT:
"Also: Red Steel got a 5 in Edge"

Agh, so now I know one bad European score then :p (Don't really care for their review scores, but it's still supposedly pretty spot-on most of the time according to others.)

Volt

Dimmuxx said:
50Hz, 60Hz and EDTV/HDTV?

If I recall correctly: yes. Can't check it right now, but I'm pretty sure that's all there is, and basically all you need for the Wii.

Also: Red Steel got a 5 in Edge, so let's not turn this into a Europe vs US arguement. Personally I got really bored of the limited gameplay mechanics about halfway through the game. The style of the storytelling reminds me of a half-assed Max Payne meets -insert random Steven Seagal movie- and the basic gameplay just doesn't feel as revolutionary or fun as you'd hope.. But of course, that's my own personal take which I'm sure doesn't reflect the general opinion (of people who've played it :)).

meppi

I find it a bit strange that everyone simply accepts that the component cables have been pushed back based on a report from 1 retailer, or was there some official word from Nintendo?

Especially since 2 large retail chains in the Benelux and 1 in the UK still have them dated 08.12.2006.

Burger

meppi said:
I find it a bit strange that everyone simply accepts that the component cables have been pushed back based on a report from 1 retailer, or was there some official word from Nintendo?

Especially since 2 large retail chains in the Benelux and 1 in the UK still have them dated 08.12.2006.

I believe they are delayed in Aus/NZ also till the 22nd.

thomaser

meppi said:

We can't get them for launch, no. We can order them, but we don't actually know when we'll get them apart from "soon", so I guess the 22nd is just a placeholder date.

Sanjay

yeah but when edge gives a 5 it actually means its a average game, so their 5 is most 7/8 that are given out to other average games from ign/gamespot/1up

This been posted yet?

wii_australian_ign4.jpg

Wii Sports DVD case for PAL regions confiiiirmed.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Hey guys, I just thought I'd depress all of us non-importers. Thanks to an incredibly weak US dollar, I reckon we're being screwed more than ever before (though it's great for the importers). Here's some figures, all converted to dollars based on the currency converter at www.xe.com :

Wii console:

US $250
UK $350
EU $330

Wiimote:

US $40
UK $58
EU $53

Nunchuck:

US $20
UK $29
EU $26

Classic controller:

US $20
UK $29
EU $26

Games:

US $40-50
UK $68-78
EU $66-79

2000 Wii points:

US $20
UK $29
EU $26

NES game:

US $5
UK $7
EU $7

SNES games:

US $8
UK $12
EU $11

N64 game:

US $10
UK $15
EU $13

Genesis/MD game:

US $8
UK $12
EU $11

TurboGrafx-16 game:

US $6
UK $9
EU $8

Fun huh! So: to buy the console, an extra wiimote and nunchuck, the classic controller, an extra game and a game each from the NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/MD/TurboGrafx-16, it'll cost us:

US $417
UK $599
EU $564

Of course, I realise the British price includes tax (17.5%) and I'm assuming even VC downloads have to pay that (though I don't actually know). I can't work out the EU price taking tax into account as I have no idea how it works, but I can at least compare the US and UK fairly:

US $417
UK $494

Thanks NOE! At least I can understand why it costs me more than $2 more for an N64 game even minus tax compared to my US counterparts, what with all the distribution issues and OH WAIT--

I'm so importing a 2nd Wii the second it costs less than £100 to do so and I know I can buy US VC games safely/cheaply.

At least we get Wii Play and DKC at launch, right guys? Guys?

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yay, it's confirmed that I will get Wii, Wii play, Zelda, Rayman, Red Steel & nunchuk on the release now. :D

I thought that it have been confirmed for a long time that we get wii sports in a dvd case?

There's absolutely 0 (zero) interest for this console in Turkey. This is mainly PC land and reaction to its graphics at demo kiosks seemed to be along the lines of "OMGWTFLOL!" and "WTFITSHAHA!"

Plus, it sells for 400 Euros. Way to go Nintendo.
:lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I'm importing my controllers from the US if the price difference is that large...it worked with the platinum wavebird (not sure that was ever even released in the UK). And if they work, I will also import my Wii points from the US because Europe is getting raped on the Virtual Console front.

Mama Smurf said:
Games:

US $40-50
UK $68-78

WHAT THE ****!

Mama Smurf said:
2000 Wii points:

US $20
UK $29

WHAT THE ****!

Nintendo's VC is ridiculously overpriced for these old games. It's extremely disappointing and I hope the VC doesn't see as much success as XBLA or Sony's VC because Nintendo need to drop the prices. I dread to think how much microtransactions and new VC games are going to cost

This kind of pricing difference has always been there between EU and US for every type of gaming console. It's nothing new and it's not limited to the Wii.

Mama Smurf

To be fair to Nintendo, I hardly expect them to reduce UK prices over what they were in the past just because the US dollar is so weak. It's practically 2 dollars to the pound at the moment, whereas it's not too long ago that it was 1.5 dollars to the pound.

EternalDarko said:
This kind of pricing difference has always been there between EU and US for every type of gaming console. It's nothing new and it's not limited to the Wii.

Well, I think it's a bit worst at the moment because of the currency rates, but we shouldn't just accept being screwed because we always have been (didn't a Sony exec guy say something like this recently? Tossers). And I seem to remember the GC released in the UK for almost exactly the same price as the US, based on exchange rates at the time. Of course, I'd already imported a GC back then, so didn't care.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
EternalDarko said:
This kind of pricing difference has always been there between EU and US for every type of gaming console.

charging 50% more in the EA for downloadable old games that have no distribution or marketing costs is ****ed up

Taker666

Mama Smurf said:
Hey guys, I just thought I'd depress all of us non-importers. Thanks to an incredibly weak US dollar, I reckon we're being screwed more than ever before (though it's great for the importers). Here's some figures, all converted to dollars based on the currency converter at www.xe.com :

Wii console:

US $250
UK $350
EU $330

Wiimote:

US $40
UK $58
EU $53

Nunchuck:

US $20
UK $29
EU $26

Classic controller:

US $20
UK $29
EU $26

Depends on whether you by online or at a highstreet retailer.

According to the official UK retail price a wiimote,nunchuk,classic controller combo would cost $116 (£60)in the UK, I pre-ordered them from a well known UK retailer for $86 (£44). When you take the tax off theat actually makes it cheaper in the UK than the US.

Mama Smurf

Just to really rub it in on the VC front, here are the even cheaper Japanese prices added:

NES game:

US $5
UK $7
EU $7
JP $4

SNES games:

US $8
UK $12
EU $11
JP $7

N64 game:

US $10
UK $15
EU $13
JP $9

Genesis/MD game:

US $8
UK $12
EU $11
JP $5

TurboGrafx-16 game:

US $6
UK $9
EU $8
JP $5

The Genesis games are so much cheaper because Japan get them for 600 points rather than 800 for some reason (thanks, rest of the world Nintendo!).

At least compared to the US we can say we have an equally crappy (actually ever so slightly better thanks to DKC) VC line up, but Japan not only rape our price, they also have an amazing game lineup. Woo.

Mama Smurf

Taker666 said:
Depends on whether you by online or at a highstreet retailer.

According to the official UK retail price a wiimote,nunchuk,classic controller combo would cost $116 (£60)in the UK, I pre-ordered them from a well known UK retailer for $86 (£44). When you take the tax off theat actually makes it cheaper in the UK than the US.

Of course, but that's no different in other countries. Everyone gets bargains and better prices at different places, but I can't take all of those into account. For example I didn't price the US Wii points at $15 for 2000 even though a retailer has been offering that.

Where did you get that deal btw?

meppi

Infernal Monkey said:
This been posted yet?

wii_australian_ign4.jpg

Wii Sports DVD case for PAL regions confiiiirmed.
Thank you! :D

tahrikmili said:
There's absolutely 0 (zero) interest for this console in Turkey. This is mainly PC land and reaction to its graphics at demo kiosks seemed to be along the lines of "OMGWTFLOL!" and "WTFITSHAHA!"

Plus, it sells for 400 Euros. Way to go Nintendo.
:lol
Well, Turkey isn't exactly in Europe either. ;)

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Video game prices in Norway are usually the UK price then pushed up as much they think they can get away with.

Mama Smurf

Well Norway don't use the Euro, do they? Nor are they in the EU as far as I know.

Of course, I didn't actually mean every country in the EU when I used "EU". I probably should have used something different, but I wanted a 2 letter abbreviation to go with US and UK so it would be easier to compare with them all in a line.

It does seem to be €250 in most European countries that use the Euro, but there do seem to be variations. Blame the Nintendo press release I checked which said €250/£180.

Oh and I'm not surprised at the Norwegian price, isn't it the most expensive country in the world? Sucks even more, hopefully you guys can easily import it from another European country for cheaper.

Well, if Norway is the most expensive country in the world, it must mean people have high incomes too, otherwise most people in Norway would be poor (which clearly isn't the case ;)). High prices combined with high incomes doesn't chance a thing at the purchasing power of the consumer. And I think a lot of people are forgetting that with their quick calculations.

Alright GAME have gone from telling me that I might be able to just walk in and buy one (if I get there when the store opens) to saying I almost certainly won't be able to.

Is the current thinking still Argos or Woolworths?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Mama Smurf said:
Well Norway don't use the Euro, do they? Nor are they in the EU as far as I know.

Oh and I'm not surprised at the Norwegian price, isn't it the most expensive country in the world? Sucks even more, hopefully you guys can easily import it from another European country for cheaper.

Norway is in on the EØS, but not in EU. And if you import something that costs more than 200Nok(31.72USD) the customs and tolling will **** you as hard as they can. Thus piracy is very normal here(and we have very fast internet connections, bluray ain't got shit on us).

Anyway, I've made some friends that frequently travel between USA, Japan and Norway(among other countries) so I'll just ask them to purchase shit for me.

Anyone know if Toys 'r' us are gonna have a wii for testing this weekend? They advertised they would, but I'm not going out there only to find they can't/won't.

ziran

radioheadrule83 said:
Alright GAME have gone from telling me that I might be able to just walk in and buy one (if I get there when the store opens) to saying I almost certainly won't be able to.

Is the current thinking still Argos or Woolworths?
i know argos has sold out of pre orders, and it looks like woolworths has too:
http://www.argos-email.co.uk/preregister/wii/
http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/product/index.jhtml?pid=50778342

i heard some supermarkets will be selling wii at launch in their larger stores, you could try there.

(i've posted these in other threads, but i think they're worth posting here):

a friend of mine contacted nintendo uk to see if controllers were interchangeable with hardware from different regions, i.e. if us controllers would work on pal machines etc, and nintendo said it should be okay, but they can't confirm anything yet.

while nothing concrete, it's not like the definite 'no' given about region encoding with games, so i'm still hopeful any controller will work on any console.

Also, Wii has arrived in Europe:
Massive demand for Wii in Europe

November 29 2006 – A huge shipment of Nintendo's new system, Wii, has now arrived in Europe ahead of launch on December 8 and with an unprecedented number of pre-orders having been taken, it is likely that there will be exceptional demand for the system when it goes on sale in Europe.

Nintendo is doing their utmost to replenish stocks and ensure that as many people as possible who want to experience Wii, can do so in time for Christmas. But the message for shoppers is clear – to play with Wii, or just to get your hands on one, you need to get moving!

"We're launching a great product and we knew that demand would be high. Nintendo's expansion of the gaming market is paying dividends and Wii really is the 'must have' item for Christmas. Obviously, we're doing everything we can to make sure that everyone who wants one, gets one."
- Laurent Fischer, Marketing Director, Nintendo of Europe

Nintendo is shipping an exceptionally large number of consoles - 4 million globally by the end of 2006 - the largest ever for a Nintendo console launch. Wii launched in the US on November 19 and sold over 600,000 consoles in just one week. That’s a rate of nearly one per second continuously since the launch date. The European and Japanese launches follow close behind – Europe on December 8 and Japan on December 2.

The intuitive, motion sensitive control of Wii means that a much wider audience than traditional 'gamers' are interested in the console – hence the surge in demand as Nintendo continues to broaden the video games market. Across Europe this year, Nintendo has reached an installed base of 7 million with the handheld, touch-screen Nintendo DS console – success which Wii aims to replicate in the home.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I reserved a Wii at La Fnac yesterday, they had 5 left.
So that I will end up with 2 wiis, as I also reserved one in Scoregames (but as this second one won't be available at launch, I'll sell it on ebay :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
MMaRsu said:
How much do you guys predict the Wii will go for on european Ebay?
I would say between 350€ and 400€: the Wii will be in shorter supply than in the US and Christmas is few weeks away.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
definitely no component at launch? What cable is in the pack? Don't fancy buying a SCART cable if I'm only going to use it for a little while.

Are component cables available from the US or Japan at all? might be here by next week?

MMaRsu said:
How much do you guys predict the Wii will go for on european Ebay?

I think it depends on Nintendo's second shipment.

I was told by GAME that I can't buy one but I can pre-order from the next shipment. They clearly want to hold onto peoples money for as long as possible.

I'm thinking the low end will be £250-300. But I don't see it going much higher than that.

painey

hooray I just got activated today after reading NeoGAF for months. I dont have a pre-order but I know someone in retail who is hooking me up on release date, no queing needed. Ive got Component Cables and the Classic controller on order with playasia so i hopefully get them for release and ill be picking up Zelda and getting Ecco on day 1.

mrklaw said:
definitely no component at launch? What cable is in the pack? Don't fancy buying a SCART cable if I'm only going to use it for a little while.

Are component cables available from the US or Japan at all? might be here by next week?

Where have you heard this? I hope thats not the case. I'll check around all of the stores near me tomorrow to see if they're getting them in.

syfodyas

Banned
Retail reveals Wii launch battleplan
11:30, Nov 29th by Tim Ingham

http://www.mcvuk.com/Retail-reveals-Wii-launch-night-battleplan

Leading games retailers HMV, GAME and Gamestation are all planning lavish midnight launches for the Nintendo Wii on Thursday night.
HMV’s flagship store on Oxford Street will open at 11pm as the official launch partner of Nintendo. The public will be given the chance to play Wii Sports against celebrities including Ian Wright, Jodie Kidd, Pat Cash and Ricky Hatton. The retailer will begin selling Wiis at midnight until stock runs out.

Gamestation’s launch kicks off at 10pm in its Birmingham store, with DJs, food and a guest appearance from ‘Mario’ himself. Gamers will have the chance to test out the console before counting down the last seconds to midnight, when they will be able to pick up their pre-ordered consoles. A Wii-themed window will host demonstration Wii pods.

Birmingham store manager Matt Perks said: “The launch of the Nintendo Wii is big news for gamers and Gamestation’s midnight opening event is just going to send anticipation through the roof.

“In addition, the Wii window will stay up after the event, giving gamers the chance to sample the latest in next generation gaming for themselves. This is another Gamestation exclusive and proves that we continue to be the gamers’ retailer.”

GAME’s event will be held at its flagship store in London’s Oxford Street on the same night, where customers will also be able to pick up pre-orders. The launch will also feature music and entertainment, as well as competitions, pizza delivery, a demonstration of Wii pods and a countdown to midnight.

“We are anticipating huge crowds of customers will come to our Oxford Street store to get their hands on their Nintendo Wii at the first possible moment," said GAME's marketing director Anna Macario.

“The console has been hotly anticipated by thousands of customers who have reserved this console for weeks in advance and we are working flat out to make sure customers get the products they want first.”

Top Bottom