• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2013

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I wonder if Pikmin's delay is to tighten up the textures. That game has been in development for years.

But Mario Kart is already on there!

I've mentioned after the ND that I seriously wonder if we'll see the new Retro title. Either because Retro is working on Mario Kart or because they are helping to get it out the door as soon as possible and the title they were working on originally has been put on the back burner. I caught some grief for the suggestion, but I can see it posible and we still haven't heard anything about their title (unless it is Mario Kart).

Zenaku

Right, and that's where we can favourably argue the game had entered production. From memory (and from what I personally heard) the game had at least two planned reveals/announcements canned, including TGS. We also know it was pitched for a magazine cover (Game Informer? I can't remember who), but then pulled.

That's an even more troubled development than I thought.

I guess the one comfort fans can look forward to is the fact that the game will be translated to English during development to record the VA's, so there shouldn't be a huge wait between Japanese and English releases, unless Nintendo delays it intentionally (something I can't see happening if it hits Japan before March; Iwata wants to hit this years goal).

You will be disappointed.

Mario kart is definitely happening this year. Nintendo has no problem rushing the mario kart series and making it another mediocre entry.

And I'll still buy it, damn it.

But Bayonetta 2 isn't happening this year. 3d Mario is a maybe. 3D land was only announced it feburary of 2011, and released towards the end of the year. Same could easily happen with the Wii U game. Probably won't be as good as the galaxy games if they do push it out that quickly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
And to actually contribute to the thread's topic, I am most looking forward to, and excluding vague games with no details (eg: Mario):

- The Wonderful 101, because in Kamiya we trust, and it's the best looking game on the system.
- Bayonetta 2, because in Platinum we trust, and Bayonetta is one of the best action games ever made.
- Pikmin 3, because Pikmin. Miyamoto yabbering on about it being more like Pikmin over Pikmin 2 is a bit concerning though.
- Rayman Legends, which would be enjoyed in a couple of weeks if not for Ubisoft. Was on my launch list.
- Wind Waker HD, because the end of year line-up is looking fairly shit and I'm hoping the rougher stretches are ironed out. Haven't played through it in ages either.
- X, because Xenoblade.
- Yoshi, if just because it looks good, and I didn't hate Kirby's Epic Yarn despite it being the easiest game ever made.

And that's it. Like pretty much all Nintendo consoles I don't think there's a question of quality on the Wii U. And that includes the available library too. The quality standard is fine. The good games are excellent, brilliant stuff. The issue is quantity, and the Wii U's schedule is fucking rubbish for my taste. It would be marginally less rubbish if Rayman hadn't been delayed, but I suspect my enjoyment and usage of the Wii U is going to be confined to the last half of the year. Nintendo and everyone dropped the ball. Feels like I have a console sitting in my lounge room that hasn't actually launched yet.

Any game I didn't mention is due to it being a port (and thus no interest), or a genre/style I'm not fond of. Lego City Undercover could be cool, but I'm not there with it yet.

I've mentioned after the ND that I seriously wonder if we'll see the new Retro title. Either because Retro is working on Mario Kart or because they are helping to get it out the door as soon as possible and the title they were working on originally has been put on the back burner. I caught some grief for the suggestion, but I can see it posible and we still haven't heard anything about their title (unless it is Mario Kart).

I've thought this too. Retro have produced nothing but gold for me, but I'm also well aware of their troubled studio history. I know they're working on something, and their aggressive hirings suggest it's a big project, but when we'll see that remains a mystery. Simple logic would say they're well and truly overdue for an announcement. Factor in the Nintendo delay/development reality, and Retro's studios issues, and who knows?

I was not aware development started long before Wii U. I thought Nintendo was the driving force behind the project. E3 should be interesting, then.

The rumours could have been wrong, but they were sourced accurately enough (to me, anywho) for me to be excited about an impending announcement that never came. Twice.

I'm just gonna go ahead and inject Project Cars straight into my veins thank you very much. Wii U version for whatever they would use the gamepad gameplay wise, and PC version to make my future rig cry. >:D

ibxgpQBxxPab7C.gif

Vrooom :p

Wow, seriously wow!

I can't wait to play it.

W101 better be out before E3, I don't want it to be in the end of the waiting line because of goddamn Nintendoland 2 feat Wario or Wii Fit. Shit, I don't even need Pikmin at this point anymore if I could get W101 already.

prag16

Banned
Which is F-Zero, obviously...

What I think could be awesome if done right, would be an F-Zero game that still includes a lot of racing, but shifts the focus to open-ish type of roaming adventure. Let's take a look at some of these planets; explore the ridiculous backstories of some of the racers. Etc. I'd purchase day one.

Seriously the PS3/Xbox 360 release list doesn't look much better. What will we play between May and the console launches in November?

Saty

If Lego Undercover bombs then that's it for meaningful 3rd-party support. The Lego branded games by TT always sold strongly this gen and appeared in the top of the charts in US and UK.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nice job OP. Even though MonHan will occupy me for months, I wish there were a feeeeew more titles sprinkled in.

RPGCrazied

All the games I want are TBA. And they probably won't come out for a good year or so, maybe more for the Zelda game.

Hopefully then the system will be much cheaper.

Porcile

I'm hoping Monster Hunter can tide me over until W101 and Pikmin 3. I've never played a Monster Hunter but a post-launch drought seems like perfect time to try something new. Otherwise I'm excited for Resident Evil, and the usual assortment of First party goodness.

prag16

Banned
Both need to come out before the fiscal year ends, if Iwata doesn't want to eat his hat and cry.

I see 3D Mario as the bigger system seller of the two. I'd like to see that one Q4 to compete with all the big guns and new consoles.

Then release Mario Kart late winter/early spring to own that post-holidays dry period.

Gannd

Banned
If Lego Undercover bombs then that's it for meaningful 3rd-party support. The Lego branded games by TT always sold strongly this gen and appeared in the top of the charts in US and UK.

This is the first one built on their own IP and not an established franchise. Not the same thing.

but it will almost certainly bomb. It's not the game i espect to move tons of hardware, and current Wii U owners are mostly hardcore/nintendo core users and i don't see them digging the game. It's a game for the casual crowd, but casuals have not yet even discovered Wii U existence...

I'm waiting to see reviews to find out if the games worth full RRP. I'm not sure right now. I'd probably dip in regardless once it drops to £20.

It looks pretty good to me and I don't normally like Lego games. The game seems to have come a long way since the original reveal. I hope it has plenty of content and the gameplay is as varied as the recent trailers suggest. The $50 MSRP is an added bonus, IMO.

gogogow

Seriously the PS3/Xbox 360 release list doesn't look much better. What will we play between May and the console launches in November?

Erm...PS3/360 are on their way out. The Wii U is new and needs appealing games and there's nothing/not much in the first half that would appeal to people in the US/EU.

The games i'm interested in are X and Bayonetta 2 and they have no release date.

IMBored

We're talking 3-4 games getting released in that time frame and I bet only 1 will be worth playing. GTA5.

Taken from wikipedia Q1+Q2:

Crysis 3
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3
Tomb Raider
BioShock Infinite
Metro: Last Light
Lost Planet 3

Gears: Judgement
The Last of US
God: Ascension

jhawk6

We're talking 3-4 games getting released in that time frame and I bet only 1 will be worth playing. GTA5.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, God of War: Ascension, BioShock Infinite, Gears of War: Judgement, Injustice: Gods Among Us, The Last of Us, and anything coming for PSN/XBLA not worth playing folks, you heard it here first.

This gen better just pack it up, time to jump out.

Terra

Yes. A very good OP in these times of doom and gloom. It's needed.
Still, the Wii U has a LOT more to prove before I would consider a purchase. Nothing really hits home, in my opinion that is.

Yes. A very good OP in these times of doom and gloom. It's needed.
Still, the Wii U has a LOT more to prove before I would consider a purchase. Nothing really hits home, in my opinion that is.

I'm just really hoping it gets the next Battlefield, watchdogs, 1313 etc. Getting the best multi plats and some great japanese exclusives make the console worth owning.

jhawk6

I'm just really hoping it gets the next Battlefield, watchdogs, 1313 etc. Getting the best multi plats and some great japanese exclusives make the console worth owning.

Man....IF it gets those games, there is no way they reach feature parity. Certainly not the console of choice to play those games on anyway.

I'm looking forward to several of these games, but unless Nintendo drops the price I ain't buying. I'm sure Nintendo will feel the pressure to lower the price when the next gen consoles come out.

W101 better be out before E3, I don't want it to be in the end of the waiting line because of goddamn Nintendoland 2 feat Wario or Wii Fit. Shit, I don't even need Pikmin at this point anymore if I could get W101 already.

Imagine the meltdown if NintendoLand 2 was the big game of E3 lol...

What is every ones view on Starfox ?, i would love a Platinum developed version but then again i think Retro could make a fantastic entry to the series aswell.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Taken from wikipedia Q1+Q2:

Crysis 3
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3
Tomb Raider
BioShock Infinite
Metro: Last Light
Lost Planet 3

Gears: Judgement
The Last of US
God: Ascension

Quick look at Wikipedia:
Dead Island: Riptide - April
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - April
Remember Me - May
Grid 2 - May
Splinter Cell - August
GTA 5 - September

Now let's add games from Q1:
DmC - January
Dead Space 3 - February
MGR Revengeance - February
Crysis 3 - February
Tomb Raider - March
Bioshock Infinite - March
Metro:Last Light - March

That is without taking into consideration exclusives (e.g. TLOU and GoW) or games that hit all platforms. Wii U's list looks fucking pathetic. They're trying to sell a console with shit and it's not working.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, God of War: Ascension, BioShock Infinite, Gears of War: Judgement, Injustice: Gods Among Us, The Last of Us, and anything coming for PSN/XBLA not worth playing folks, you heard it here first.

This gen better just pack it up, time to jump out.

Yeah but other than THOSE games what will we play?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

It won't. The only chance Wii U had was to sell like gangbusters at launch and force companies to port games. That didn't happen

What is every ones view on Starfox ?, i would love a Platinum developed version but then again i think Retro could make a fantastic entry to the series aswell.

Starfox is alright. I don't think it's quite the big system seller people have convinced themselves it is. I'd probably buy a decent one, but as Nintendo titles go, I'd rather have a new Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Pikmin/Donkey Kong/JRPG (Int he vain of Xenoblade/last story/pandoras tower) on the Wii U first, before we get into the likes of F-zero and starfox.

IMBored

It won't. The only chance Wii U had was to sell like gangbusters at launch and force companies to port games. That didn't happen

I don't know, watch dogs at least since it's Ubisoft and a current-gen game, could see a WiiU release. I could also see Battlefield, if EA wants it to be COD big.

While i agree that third party support will be very thin on the ground beyond the yearly installments of CoD, Fifa, Madden and Just Dance i do think that WiiU will get Splinter Cell Blacklist and Watch_Dogs because they are published by Ubisoft.

And as much as i believe that the WiiU hardware is more powerful than PS360, i don't believe it would be capable of something like SW 1313, a step too far for it imo.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't know, watch dogs at least since it's Ubisoft and a current-gen game, could see a WiiU release. I could also see Battlefield, if EA wants it to be COD big.

Slight chance on Watch Dogs, but very slight IMO.

xandaca

Excellent work, OP. For all the complaints, there are four games I'm definitely getting this year and two I'm considering, excluding those without release dates yet (e.g. Mario Kart, 3D Mario, X, etc). The four are Wind Waker, Resident Evil, Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3, while those 'in consideration' are Monster Hunter and Lego City. It's very like Mario Kart will be added to that list (hey, I'm an optimist). As someone who has owned every Nintendo console since the SNES and is generally pretty snooty about the games I end up buying, that's a pretty decent number, especially if Mario Kart and the next COD and FIFA can be added to the list (hey, I'm an optimist and they're my trash gaming). I'd say 3D Mario, Bayonetta and X are solid bets for 2014, so I'm perfectly happy with the Wii U's slate for the foreseeable future, especially since there's more to come.

Does anyone know how much on average it costs to port a game from PS360 to WiiU ?. Even if it was $2 million, surely it would be in Nintendo's interest to pay for maybe 10 really massive franchises (GTA V, Bioshock, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider ect) to push the console early in it's life and pad out the release schedule.

zroid

Banned
Wii U's list looks fucking pathetic. They're trying to sell a console with shit and it's not working.

What they're trying to do is sell a console in its first year. The strength of its lineup is not outside normalcy for a platform in its first few months. Unfortunately with so many of Wii U's titles being late, phoned-in ports, it's facing more direct competition from older consoles than one normally would in its first year on sale.

farnham

Banned
Quick look at Wikipedia:
Dead Island: Riptide - April
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - April
Remember Me - May
Grid 2 - May
Splinter Cell - August
GTA 5 - September

Now let's add games from Q1:
DmC - January
Dead Space 3 - February
MGR Revengeance - February
Crysis 3 - February
Tomb Raider - March
Bioshock Infinite - March
Metro:Last Light - March

That is without taking into consideration exclusives (e.g. TLOU and GoW) or games that hit all platforms. Wii U's list looks fucking pathetic. They're trying to sell a console with shit and it's not working.

Bioshock, maybe MGR, GTA5 for me.. Good i need that money to spend it on wiiu and 3ds games

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nice initiative, Captain Smoker. Unfortunately though, the lineup is quite poor. And certain titles could very likely struggle against the titles Microsoft and Sony have for their respective next generation consoles. But hopefully can Nintendo realize better marketing regarding the console and thus allow for better sales. E3 can't come soon enough for this rather tiresome business climate right now to come to a halt and let actuality and not guesswork enter the arena.

As for the titles given a "firm" release date, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is really the only game that interests me at the moment. As for other titles, the usual Mario and Zelda together with the forthcoming Super Smash Bros. title are what my gaze is upon. I haven't purchased a Wii U yet due to insufficient funds primarily but also because the current game library doesn't fit my interests.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
wow....no good games til near the end of the year. how lame!
...until the good games start rollin, I'll buy the WiiU. anyways, looks like Im gonna stick to my 3DS and my 360 for the meanwhile.

I'm most likely going to get Monster Hunter so I have something to play (never played MH before) and I'm sure my brother will pick up Lego City so I'll be able to play that too.

Day 1:
TW101
Bayonetta 2
Mario Kart
Mario 3D
Yoshi Yarn
Zelda WWHD
Smash Bros.
X

I will probably get Pikmin 3 since it looks beautiful and it has gamepad only play.

Top Bottom