• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Yes it is one of those must play games. Though if you go in without informing yourself what kind of game it is and end up not liking it for reasons that could've been cleared up by reading up on it, don't blame us!
I'm pretty patient with trying new things so I doubt I'd get angry about it. I watched a few trailers back when it was announced and it looked like one of the few interesting titles back then...and the only one that took quite advantage of Wii U functionality.

TheMoon

...Is Art Academy not out in all regions? I have Art Academy on my Wii U...might be a bigger more fleshed out version since there are a crapton of coming soons

Edit:
Aaaah hope it's good. Can't imagine it being bad though.

Have you forgotten that they announced a full-fledged game last year after they put out Sketch Pad? AA: Sketch Pad is what you have. It's just a holdover for the real thing. Headstrong has been knee-deep in Art Academy games. I hope they get to do something original/different/Battalion Wars U after they have mass produced like 4-5 AA games in a row.

I'm pretty patient with trying new things so I doubt I'd get angry about it. I watched a few trailers back when it was announced and it looked like one of the few interesting titles back then...and the only one that took quite advantage of Wii U functionality.

Don't forget that there's a demo.

prag16

Banned
It's apparently official; Ubi wants $60 for Watch_Dogs.

Not unexpected, but absurd and disappointing nevertheless.

Sub $20 I'll be in. No sooner than that.

EmiPrime

My cousin has made 2 Nintendo Network IDs, one on her 3DS and one on her Wii U. Does anyone know how amenable Nintendo might be to moving her pack-in (Zelda WW) to her other ID so she can just use the one?

Just to give an update, I'll create the "Wii U Games 2015" thread next month with all the updates (edit: after the release of the last game this year, being Smash).
I've almost everything done since I have more time now, so I won't change anything in this thread. ^^

It will look like this:

cars92s3s.png

toadghs30.png

Shizuka

Just to give an update, I'll create the "Wii U Games 2015" thread next month with all the updates (edit: after the release of the last game this year, being Smash).
I've almost everything done since I have more time now, so I won't change anything in this thread. ^^

It will look like this:

cars92s3s.png

toadghs30.png

Great to see you back, keep up the great work.

Splatoon has given me a positive buzz for 2015. No Zelda delay and a Prime announced. And some sort of Square RPG. And an HD remake.

I want to believe.

Pachimari

Oh wow, I just found Pikmin 3 on sale here in my country, so that's on my way with the post. It'll be my first Pikmin and I have wanted to try out the franchise since they introduced the first one on Gamecube.

I also recently ordered New Super Mario Bros. U, so I hope I'll get some flashbacks to the original from Super Famicom.

That said, I still haven't played much of Mario Kart 8, and haven't even completed singleplayer yet. Still have to try out the online component. Bayonetta 1 and 2 are still unopened.

Wii U is seriously awesome this year. And with Super Smash Bros coming later this month and Captain Toad in January, it can't become much better. Other than an Animal Crossing announcement of course.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, in the Wii U story-driven games thread, a couple people mentioned that Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC is actually better on WiiU than other platforms... even PC. My bullshit detector went off immediately, but who knows... maybe there is a reason this version is preferable.

If it actually is better, I'll pick it up.

TheMoon

So, in the Wii U story-driven games thread, a couple people mentioned that Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC is actually better on WiiU than other platforms... even PC. My bullshit detector went off immediately, but who knows... maybe there is a reason this version is preferable.

Your bullshit detector is broken. Director's Cut was developed for Wii U. All those ports are just panic ports with half-assed functionality. Deus Ex HR DC on Wii U is the definitive way to play this game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Your bullshit detector is broken. Director's Cut was developed for Wii U. All those ports are just panic ports with half-assed functionality. Deus Ex HR DC on Wii U is the definitive way to play this game.

But why is it better? I know it's going to be a downgrade in terms of frame rate and resolution, so what's the difference maker?

jmizzal

It is better, and I had it on PC first, WiiU versions trumps it

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
But why is it better? I know it's going to be a downgrade in terms of frame rate and resolution, so what's the difference maker?

I know at least initially, the other versions were super rushed ports and thus had a bunch of bugs, framerate issues, etc. but the Wii U version didn't. It seems like the PC version got patched iirc, and it's like $5 over there.

TheMoon

Have you net seen a trailer or read anything about it anywhere? Should be obvious: GamePad integration.

Dev walkthrough part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3WYHXv21hk
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-35eCQG9pLY

If that's too long, watch the features trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Pykd89ehk

Or read this: http://www.giantbomb.com/deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut/3030-42021/

It fixes, adds and overhauls so many things, there's no reason to play it anywhere else, really, if you have the option of getting it on Wii U.

I know at least initially, the other versions were super rushed ports and thus had a bunch of bugs, framerate issues, etc. but the Wii U version didn't. It seems like the PC version got patched iirc, and it's like $5 over there.

The PCPS360 versions were rushed ports of the Wii U version by another studio.

Straight Right developed the Wii U version, it's the main SKU for this rerelease. They've already proven with ME3 Special Edition that they're in the business of making definitive versions of multiplat games for Wii U. I wish they'd get to do more.

jmizzal

So, the U version of Splinter Cell Blacklist is on par? How about DLC support?

Yes its on par, it only doesnt have offline co-op, it has online co-op and online multiplayer

Graphics are better on WiiU and it has vsync, loading times to start up are little longer but thats only when it first loads

It has the DLC too

I put in 100 hours in this game worth it

daydream

Banned
That's all I needed to hear, thanks. Just ordered it (missed out on the 10€ Amazon offer but 14 bucks is still super cheap)!

TheMoon

So, the U version of Splinter Cell Blacklist is on par? How about DLC support?

It's superior as a single player game. The only negative it has are long load times. It has DLC support (sadly those never go on sale). The missing local multiplayer is a bummer but at least the online was included. I still found people playing a month or so ago when I last checked in. Wii U version is the only console version running at proper 720p without screen tearing, btw. GamePad has been utilized nicely as a gadget interface for Sam's various toys. Highly recommended.

Pachimari

I have never ever bought as many first party games for a Nintendo platform as the Wii U. Just added Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze to my library today, and so far it's real fun in singleplayer on the first two stages.

I think I'm still missing some games like The Wonderful 101 (not a huge fan of it honestly), Wind Waker HD and New Super Luigi U.

Roo

I have never ever bought as many first party games for a Nintendo platform as the Wii U. Just added Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze to my library today, and so far it's real fun in singleplayer on the first two stages.

I think I'm still missing some games like The Wonderful 101 (not a huge fan of it honestly), Wind Waker HD and New Super Luigi U.

New Super Luigi U is a must have.

butalala

I have a random question about Black Ops 2 that I'm going to ask here because I can't find an OT for the game and I don't want to risk my junior status by resurrecting an old news thread.

Basically, I started playing this a bit and I recalled that there was an update that added some new maps, including one called Nuketown. I've never seen this map in online play and I can't figure out a way to 1) tell the game to update or 2) see if I've somehow gotten the update automatically without realizing it.

I read through this thread and nothing really makes sense to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

TheMoon

I have a random question about Black Ops 2 that I'm going to ask here because I can't find an OT for the game and I don't want to risk my junior status by resurrecting an old news thread.

Basically, I started playing this a bit and I recalled that there was an update that added some new maps, including one called Nuketown. I've never seen this map in online play and I can't figure out a way to 1) tell the game to update or 2) see if I've somehow gotten the update automatically without realizing it.

Games update automatically. If you've not played it for a few months, it'll get taken of the auto-update list but after you play it again, it'll be back on it so it will download things again.

Piccoro

If you leave the Wii U in standby mode, it downloads and installs updates without even notifying you. You just see a quick "Updates have been installed" screen upon booting the game.
Chances are that if your game wasn't updated, you couldn't even participate in online matches.
But just to be sure, on the Wii U menu go to Settings->Data mamagement->COD BO2. If you see a large file there besides the save files, that is the update.

butalala

Games update automatically. If you've not played it for a few months, it'll get taken of the auto-update list but after you play it again, it'll be back on it so it will download things again.

If you leave the Wii U in standby mode, it downloads and installs updates without even notifying you. You just see a quick "Updates have been installed" screen upon booting the game.
Chances are that if your game wasn't updated, you couldn't even participate in online matches.
But just to be sure, on the Wii U menu go to Settings->Data mamagement->COD BO2. If you see a large file there besides the save files, that is the update.

OK, thanks guys. I'll check it out tonight (after I dive into MK8 DLC)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of CoD, I'm playing Advance Warfare on the Xbone and definitely miss Off-TV play, along with the separate screen multiplayer.

jmizzal

I see some good black friday sales on Disney Infinite 2.0 Marvel Heroes

So can somebody explain how this game works a bit

If I buy the starter pack, will the only characters I am able to play with be the figures thats included? Thor, Black Widow and Iron Man, Or will all the avengers be playable?

Do I have to buy figures to unlock characters or do figures just unlock other extras

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
For Deus ex and Splinter cell, my opinion: great Wii U version of those games. Very interesting Gamepad uses, even if the game weren't created with that in mind, being multiplatform releases. I've enjoyed them a lot.

For Captain Smoker: great work, can't wait to see the 2015 thread!

Vitacat

So I just bought a Wii U. MK8 bundle from Walmart. Bought it mainly because I'm getting started working in physical therapy and Wii games with the balance board (which I will probably pickup later tonight with Wii U Fit) are used in clinic, and know almost nothing about them. Good excuse to pick up a Wii U, and I have been curious to play MK8.

Haven't bought a Nintendo system since the DS Lite.

Initial impression: charming system that feels very different from everything else I game on, i.e. PS4 etc. The gamepad is pretty nice, and off TV play is a possibly useful feature, but I wonder if any games make really good use of it. Anyway, I think it's a unique system, very recognizably Nintendo in its quirkiness. I look forward to picking up some of the best Wii U and original Wii games for it.

Now, if Nintendo would just make a new F-Zero (my favorite racing series, and one of my favorite games ever), for Wii U then I'd feel truly justified in buying this system.

Lastly, where the heck is Metroid for Wii U? So many Mario and Zelda games, not much love for other beloved IP's. Hope that changes.

Pachimari

NES Remix Pack comes out in December in North America. No European release has been announced.
I really hope they'll release it here in Europe as well. I mean why not.

Just received New Super Mario Bros U. I'm so excited about all these titles I have just gotten.

Just need Wind Waker HD, The Wonderful 101, New Super Luigi U and Sonic Lost World now. Think I'm gonna go for Wind Waker after Smash Bros for Christmas and Captain Toad in January.

Next year will be crazy for me. Captain Toad, Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World, Xenoblade Chronicles X and The Legend of Zelda.

I just need Animal Crossing and it will have been the perfect Nintendo console to me. F-Zero would be a bonus.

TheMoon

Initial impression: charming system that feels very different from everything else I game on, i.e. PS4 etc. The gamepad is pretty nice, and off TV play is a possibly useful feature, but I wonder if any games make really good use of it. Anyway, I think it's a unique system, very recognizably Nintendo in its quirkiness. I look forward to picking up some of the best Wii U and original Wii games for it.

Lastly, where the heck is Metroid for Wii U? So many Mario and Zelda games, not much love for other beloved IP's. Hope that changes.

GamePad showpieces:
ZombiU
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Wind Waker HD
Game & Wario
Wii Party U / Wii Fit U
Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
Batman Arkham City Armored Edition
Fatal Frame 5 (Japan-only so far)

As for Metroid, Miyamoto said at E3 that they're planning on keeping both 2D and 3D Metroid games going. Expect something Metroid related to show up by next E3, it's one of the series Miyamoto personally said he'd wanted to see done on Wii U. Just a matter of time.

I got some money on my Wii U to buy the Mario Kart DLC, Pikmin shorts, and Smash Bros Wii U.

I bought the Mario Kart DLC and Pikmin shorts and ended up with 59.45(I thought I'd have 60 at least), so I can't afford Smash Bros.

If I had bought Smash first I would have gotten 5 bucks from the Deluxe promotion and would have afforded everything, I feel like an idiot haha.

Vitacat

So here's my Wii/WiiU haul since buying the system earlier this week, all physical copies. Keep in mind I am totally new to everything Wii and WiiU.

WiiU: Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Bayonetta 2+1, Wii Fit U (w/balance board & meter)

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Sin & Punishment SS, Madworld, Rayman Raving Rabbits, Just Dance 1, 2 & 3 (wife loves them)

Tried ZombiU and didn't care for it. Enjoyed the Pikmin 3 demo and plan to pick that up eventually. Also plan to pickup Mario Galaxy 2, and the MK8 DLC.

Not a SSB fan, so don't think I'll get the new one. And I played (and still own) Zelda Wind Waker on Gamecube, so not too keen on buying the HD remake. Not sure about the various 2D platformers like Mario and Luigi U, Donkey Kong TF etc. Really have more games than time to play right now anyway. :p

What else should I consider for WiiU or Wii?

Shizuka

So here's my Wii/WiiU haul since buying the system earlier this week, all physical copies. Keep in mind I am totally new to everything Wii and WiiU.

WiiU: Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Bayonetta 2+1, Wii Fit U (w/balance board & meter)

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Sin & Punishment SS, Madworld, Rayman Raving Rabbits, Just Dance 1, 2 & 3 (wife loves them)

Tried ZombiU and didn't care for it. Enjoyed the Pikmin 3 demo and plan to pick that up eventually. Also plan to pickup Mario Galaxy 2, and the MK8 DLC.

Not a SSB fan, so don't think I'll get the new one.

What else should I consider for WiiU or Wii?

The Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Shovel Knight. Maybe Earthbound too.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
DK:TF is a must have, unless you absolutely hate 2D platformers. You've got enough games at this point that you don't need to pick up NSMBU/NSLU unless you see them for super cheap. I wouldn't consider them can't miss games, but they're a blast to play with friends, even though multiplayer makes the games 10x harder.

jmizzal

I'm fairly sure both are completely dead. I check BO2 a few weeks ago and it seems like there were only 2 games happening with a third always begging for people to join.

Dead no, I was just playing ghost online the other day, its not like thousands but its enough people to play, and I know Black Ops 2 has more people then Ghost.

leroidys

I was just looking at some retro game prices and realized that if you buy a Wii U to play Demon's Crest, Gargoyles Quest II and Earthbound, the system essentially pays for itself.

Jotthah

Itagaki gave an update on how the development on Devil's Third is coming along on Facebook.

There is a translation up on Gematsu.

They finished the last cutscene a couple of days ago and are still planning on releasing it in 2015.
I like that he mentions that the story mode (single player I hope) is longer than the ones in Ninja Gaiden.
The Multiplayer mechanics are similar to Halo and Gears according to him.

Top Bottom