• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Holy crap, Bayonetta 2 is incredible. And there's still Smash on the way. I'm pleased.

This system is fucking weird for me. Usually, when I play a new game, I'll finish it and be like "I liked it... but it wasn't as good as the classics." With the games on the WiiU, I haven't left disappointed -- this is as good as games get. I love it.

Holy crap, Bayonetta 2 is incredible. And there's still Smash on the way. I'm pleased.

This system is fucking weird for me. Usually, when I play a new game, I'll finish it and be like "I liked it... but it wasn't as good as the classics." With the games on the WiiU, I haven't left disappointed -- this is as good as games get. I love it.

Totally agree. PS/XBOX it just feels like I am going through the motions I have been for the past 10 years. The WiiU and 3DS bring this specialness to the table. I actually feel I have games of value as opposed to games on my other systems.

mf luder

Is it true that there's only been 24 retail games released on the wii u this year? Thats a pretty pathetic number but I've still bought more games for the wii u this year than on my ps4, ps3 and 3DS.

Going to pick up Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1 + 2 and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze this week. Super Smash Bros will be the last Wii U game I pick up this year.

Looking forward to Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Party and Starfox next year.

TheMoon

Going to pick up Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1 + 2 and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze this week. Super Smash Bros will be the last Wii U game I pick up this year.

Looking forward to Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Party and Starfox next year.

No interest in Captain Toad? =O

69wpm

Looks like Nintendo has gone third party. Look at these games being available for Xbone:

9PIflH3.png

It's an error at game.co.uk

BumRush

Might pull the trigger on a wiiu today, Nintendo GAF...question for you...

If my wife is watching TV and I'm playing the game pad in the same room, is it lag free? Nothing worse than a platformer ruined by connection errors.

If my wife is watching TV and I'm playing the game pad in the same room, is it lag free? Nothing worse than a platformer ruined by connection errors.

yes it is.
in fact the video signal needs longer from the WiiU to the TV than to the gamepad (afair)

I've finished NSMBU and NSLU on the gamepad.

edit: I play regulary with the gamepad in my bedroom and even on the toilet, both around 5 meters away from the WiiU

TheMoon

there is 0 lag. the system was designed for exactly this. it's not like on other platforms.

muteant

It's probably the ideal way to play platformers, from a latency perspective.

Playing on the gamepad isn't ideal for me (going from a 60" samsung to that small screen is a bit humbling) but I've been able to progress in several games while my fiance watches The Vampire Diaries or similar crap I couldn't care less about it, and for that I'm hugely thankful.

tebunker

Banned

I played a lot of SC blacklist off screen and oddly enough I prefer to play RE revelations off screen with the pro controller, I know weird but it seems to look better on the little screen

A lot of tests I've seen show that the Gamepad actually has LESS latency than most TVs.

Thank you! :) any game recommendations while I'm here?

I'll be echoing many others, however the must-haves are:

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Pikmin 3
Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
Wind Waker HD
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Rayman Legends

Other games worth checking out are:

Nintendoland (Best with some friends)
ZombiU
New Super Mario Bros. U
Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate (I've found that Monster Hunter is a bit of an acquired taste so you may love this or you may hate it.)

ozfunghi

The gamepad has less "lag" than most tv sets. There are slow motion youtube video's where you can see the image on the gamepad being a couple frames ahead of the image on the tv.

If the connection between the gamepad and Wii U is less than ideal, the connection will be dropped instead of streaming the image at a bad framerate.

As for games:
Pikmin 3 is an absolute must. Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Lego City Undercover, Mario Kart 8, Earthbound (VC), ZombiU, Deus Ex HR DC, Super Mario 3D World...

muteant

SM3DW and MK8 are must-plays.

presuming you don't have anything against their respective genres, Tropical Freeze and NSMBWU are essential. if you enjoy the latter, get the Luigi DLC, too.

nintendoland is a nice showcase for the system; if you can get it cheaply, there's certainly going to be enough content for it to be worth your while.

if you've never played Wind Waker before, or really enjoyed it the first time around, go for that too.

even if Pikmin 3 doesn't seem like your kind of game, you should really consider it. might take you a bit to settle into its groove, but once you do, it's pure joy.

am surprised by how much I'm currently enjoying Hyrule Warriors. it's going to be an extended rental for me.

if you like action games, wonderful 101 and bayonetta 2 are no-brainers.

Ahh, so many good games I still need to play/finish.
Zelda WW currently. Then Pikmin 3/W101/Rayman. Lastly, DK, ZombiU and saving the best for last, SM3DW.

BumRush

It's probably the ideal way to play platformers, from a latency perspective.

Playing on the gamepad isn't ideal for me (going from a 60" samsung to that small screen is a bit humbling) but I've been able to progress in several games while my fiance watches The Vampire Diaries or similar crap I couldn't care less about it, and for that I'm hugely thankful.

I'm the same way but my wife loves TV so this will be nice. I have a ps4 and vita and love that ability but think it will translate better to Nintendo gamea for some reason

BumRush

ThAnka moon...I'll be in here a loooooot moving forward. Really excited to be a part of the family

Oh one more question...do most games gave demos?

TheMoon

No Nintendo games, sadly

TW101, Bayonetta 2 have one. Pikmin 3 will have one in the future, according to Miyamoto's comments last week at that film thing. On 3DS they have demos for Smash, Mario Golf and Pokémon so it could happen more often going forward for games where they might feel the need to "convince" you by providing a demo.

There aren't a lot of Demos in general, though. Personally, for Nintendo games I don't really need one because I know I get a certain minimum level of quality for the most part (excluding some outside developed spin-off type games maybe).

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm definitely getting one for Smash, the question is when. Are we convinced that there will be a Smash bundle?

Roo

TW101, Bayonetta 2 have one. Pikmin 3 will have one in the future, according to Miyamoto's comments last week at that film thing. On 3DS they have demos for Smash, Mario Golf and Pokémon so it could happen more often going forward for games where they might feel the need to "convince" you by providing a demo.

You know what I meant.. :p
First party games/in house developed.
Also I think he was only talking about Wii U not 3DS.

BumRush

I used to own a Wii, but sold it a few years back. I had quite a few VC games. When I get my Wiiu, will they be mine again, or did I lose them with the console? Any way to check?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I used to own a Wii, but sold it a few years back. I had quite a few VC games. When I get my Wiiu, will they be mine again, or did I lose them with the console? Any way to check?
They're long gone. You need the console, unfortunately.

Aiustis

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/06/10/art-academy-on-wii-u-gets-october-release-window

What about this? Or is this just complete BS? I don't mean that in a funny way, it could be an IGN mistake.

...Is Art Academy not out in all regions? I have Art Academy on my Wii U...might be a bigger more fleshed out version since there are a crapton of coming soons

Edit:

It was silently put on the 2015 tab on their release schedule a few months ago. It's unclear if it's digital-only or retail, though it being full-fledge AA product, it would suggest a retail release.

Aaaah hope it's good. Can't imagine it being bad though.

Top Bottom