• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

TheMoon

I see. I wasn't aware of the specifcs behind those Fatal Frame titles. However, I thought I read recently that Tecmo Koei Europe stated Fatal Frame 5 was only for Japan.

KT EU's twitter person said "as far as they know" it's JP only. Which means nothing really since it's just their social media person who isn't necessarily clued into the goings on of the JP home base and Nintendo would publish it anyway, meaning KT Europe wouldn't be involved. It could also change any time since video game products get denied until 5 seconds AFTER they have been announced. :D

maxcriden

Puzzles require a good amount of thought. Some puzzles require "a lot" or exagerated motions. The game could pretty much be fixed with motion plus.

Fingers crossed we get a sequel or remake one day. I do want to try the game out again, though. I'm definitely in the market for a copy. It's cheap to buy, it's just a matter of finding a copy.

I think people that are listing monthly games from Jan to June are being way too optimistic.

People do it all the time. Sadly, Nintendo has been unable to deliver so far.

Eh, I'd rather be optimistic now and disappointed later. I spent way too much of my life being pessimistic and feeling validated sometimes and happily surprised at other times. It works better in theory than in execution to think that way, for me at least. The happy surprises don't end up feeling that meaningful when you've set your expectations low to begin with. Just my two cents.

Thats plenty to have a game released every month, even if eShop counts, plus we know there are games that are not announced yet that will come out next year.

This is the most announced first party WiiU games ever even more then after the big Jan direct 2 years ago.

I agree. I really think we could see monthly releases for pretty much all of next year.

Super Mario Sunshine HD would make me pretty damn happy.

Well, I'm expecting more Gamecube remakes next year. F-Zero and Wave Race and Mario Sunshine would be awesome-

I'd be all for that. I did just start playing SMS, though, and I'm trying to give it a real shot this time, so I don't know that I'd play a remake yet.

Yeah, let's hope Nintendo has just a few more surprises left, though I think the only ones would be a potential remaster as the rumor claims (and a possible localization of Fatal Frame 5). I doubt we'll get any new major games beyond that. 3DS, of course, has to have a better year of support than compared to this year's, and we know Nintendo has some software planned specifically for the new 3DS model too.

. If I remember correctly, back on the Wii, it had around as much as 10 titles released on it (developed and/or published) in two different years of its lifespan.

I totally agree. Just for one example, here was the 3DS release calendar last year for first-party retail titles:

February: Fire Emblem: Awakening, Brain Training
March: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
April: LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins
May: DKCR 3D
June: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
August: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
October: Pokémon X & Y
November: Mario Party: Island Tour, LBW

So that is 11 first-party retail titles in one year. Granted, some months had none (Nintendo doesn't like releasing games in January or July, from what I've noticed, at least in NA), but that's still a hefty slew of releases.

As another example, Nintendo released 57 first-party retail games over the lifespan of the Wii, which was 74 months. That's one game every 1.3 months. Pretty impressive, I think. As for the DS, Nintendo released 89 first-party retail games over its lifespan, which means about one game per month during its 84 months on the market. This does exclude 2012, in which only two games released the entire year and 3DS had already been on the market for a while. As for the current systems, Nintendo has thus far released 37 first-party retail titles during the 3DS system's 43 months on the market, and 18 first-party retail titles during the Wii U system's 23 months on the market. That's not too bad, at all, IMO, and all of the above numbers for the current systems exclude full-fledged eShop experiences as well as major 3rd party releases.

--

Also, some potential unfortunate news on the Capt. Toad front:

tng.png

GameFly has changed its 12/31/14 placeholder for Capt. Toad to the date above. Could mean something, could mean nothing. Hopefully we'll know soon.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/238842-...racker-listing-gives-it-2015-placeholder-date

Choomp

Banned
There were plenty of rumors. One about the remaster for Wii U. And one about three (?) more Devil's Third-type of partnerships for exclusives.

An HD remaster would be awesome. Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and Metroid are all games that would look beautiful on Wii U.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't care about rumors, if as generic as that one. Ok, the source was right about a couple of previous things (among those, Devil's third), but still...

I'd be more interested in knowing if the already "officially" announced projects are dead or not (as the "Wii U port of a not-hardcore AAA game" by the same developer of Deus Ex HR Wii U port).

More than anything, I'd like to know date and bundles for Smash-amiibos, release window for the first half of 2015 for Toad, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Yoshi and Mario VS DK, and something abuot the fate of Fatal Frame 5 and Pokken.

In any case, I think I'll post it here something else:
I really LOVE the "Offtv-sound" setting of the Wii U gamepad. It's not something every game has to offer, but when available to me it's something really appreciated.

I live in a small apartment with my wife and the little kid, with just one tv screen (so the offtv is good) but in any case in many occasion I have to play without wake him up.
Playing Hyrule warriros and Bayonetta and Resident Evil revelations, I have to say that being allowed to play on the tv screen but turning off the sound, to hear that directly from the gamepad with the headphones plugged into the controller, is great. It's too bad RER doesn't allow this setting, in fact I'm dedicating way less time to that game compared to the other two.

LOCK

Seems we have box art for Yoshi', Splatoon, and Kirby.

I think all 3 will be 1H releases along with MP10 and Mario Maker.

tebunker

Banned
Because GoNintendo.

I swear is it so difficult to get a good Nintendo news site? Honestly, there's little bits of good here and there, but overall, I can't find a single Nintendo based news site worth my time/attention. All they do is repost each others shit.

Nintendoworldreport is probably the most solid, but I would prefer they update more or do more articles.

prag16

Banned
I find gonintendo to be servicable enough. They're slightly fast and loose with the rumored crap (which is I believe why they were banned here for awhile) and post a bunch of superfluous stuff I can't imagine even diehards care much about, but for lack of clearly better options... meh.

69wpm

I find gonintendo to be servicable enough. They're slightly fast and loose with the rumored crap (which is I believe why they were banned here for awhile) and post a bunch of superfluous stuff I can't imagine even diehards care much about, but for lack of clearly better options... meh.

The problem with the site is that they turn every tweet into news. A few years back they had exclusive stories and I visited the site frequently. Now, it's not really worth it anymore.

Sendou

Super Mario 64 HD and I could probably finally convince some friends to get a Wii U

Sunshine HD would be disappointing to say the least.

The thing is that 64 got a remake already. On a handheld but still. That's why I would prefer Sunshine over that but then again I think Sunshine is the better game overall too. Well either of those would be just fine.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The problem with the site is that they turn every tweet into news. A few years back they had exclusive stories and I visited the site frequently. Now, it's not really worth it anymore.

Honestly gonintendo is run by a single guy (Kevin Cassidy) pretty much (who occasionally is substituted with someone else to get a bit of free time), but he really does his best all things considered. He's very receptive to feedback as well if you e-mail him and is a super nice guy. He's doing so many things at once that he does make mistakes, and that's understandable when you don't have an editor or anything.

While the wording isn't the greatest, he said "German in-store advertising for 2015 releases". He never explicitly says Smash/Amiibos is releasing in 2015, but you have to realize all the rest of them clearly are 2015 titles in Europe.... I usually send in corrections for the egregious stuff, but honestly I was more thinking "German store starts advertising 2015 WIi U titles in store"

Also he still does exclusive stories, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about o_O. Renegade Kid has been doing a reveal & exclusive dev diary for Xeodrifter on Gonintendo the past month or two if I'm not mistaken. He has done an interview with Miyamoto and Pachter. With Miyamoto and 3D World, he was the one guy asking an interesting (my personal opinion, he's too humble to actually say that) about why 3D World used an 8-directional system like 3D Land as opposed to a full 360 motion like 64/Sunshine/Galaxy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I swear is it so difficult to get a good Nintendo news site? Honestly, there's little bits of good here and there, but overall, I can't find a single Nintendo based news site worth my time/attention. All they do is repost each others shit.

Nintendoworldreport is probably the most solid, but I would prefer they update more or do more articles.

Nintendolife?

tebunker

Banned
Nintendolife?

Uh no. They are barely one step above a news reposting site. I feel like Thomas is the only good one on the site. Most of the reviews are short and poorly written, and I see too many news articles or blurbs where Gaf is effectively the source. And the community there is rubbish.

I can read Gaf on my own, but I still hold out hope for a great site to come along. Maybe it isn't poasible in the web we have today. People probably don't want long form articles. Well researched information. A long view so to speak. Other sites are trying this but I was hoping to find a Nintendo focused one.

Also to stay OT

Toad. December. I am so pumped for this and confirmed at $40 no less!

Zareka

... Captain Toad, Kirby, Mario Maker, Star Fox

I know this is more or less listing every Wii U game for 2015 but I want to play them all goddamnit.

Hahaha, I was actually in the process of typing them out too when I realised that I'd be as well saying "every Wii U game in 2015", so I cut it short. :p

Such a good year (including the tail end of this one) to be a Nintendo fan, damn.

impact

Banned
The thing is that 64 got a remake already. On a handheld but still. That's why I would prefer Sunshine over that but then again I think Sunshine is the better game overall too. Well either of those would be just fine.

Is it really a remake when it barely looks better than the original? And also controlled way worse.

Phil S.

Banned
NintendoWorldReport is my favorite.

I used to really like Nintendo Everything, but the community has turned incredibly toxic and off-putting.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
What the heck is up with Amazon's secondary categorization for Mario 3D World?

Super Mario 3D World - #6 in Home & Kitchen > Home Décor > Home Décor Accents > Decorative Accessories
#8 in Video Games > Wii U > Games

TheMoon

Super Mario 3D World - #6 in Home & Kitchen > Home Décor > Home Décor Accents > Decorative Accessories

Obvious. Your home looks like shit unless it has a copy of SM3DW on a shelf somewhere. Truthfact.

maxcriden

Obvious. Your home looks like shit unless it has a copy of SM3DW on a shelf somewhere. Truthfact.

That's amazing. Hopefully 3DW has better sales legs than the table in seventh place! ;)

tebunker

Banned
I agree with this. Tebunker, I'd be interested to hear a bit more in-depth your concerns about NL. I've found them to be a superb site with very reliable coverage and reviews.

uh look a couple posts above your, Nintendolife leaves me wanting. I don't particularly find their coverage good. Like I said, Thomas is the only good one on the site. The reviews are short and poorly written and edited. 95% of the news is reposting/media cycle stuff, and the other stuff I easily find on here, oh that's because they use gaf a major news source.

What I want, is someone like NWR to do more stuff like Giant Bomb, or for GB to have some Nintendo focused stuff.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, it's been long enough since I 100%ed DKC: TR that I feel like I can run through the game again, but this time in hard mode.

This is the best platformer of all time. And my standards for this genre are unreasonably high. I fucking love this system.

ozfunghi

Would Slightly Mad take the opportunity to support the Gamecube controller now the adaptor is available, due to the lack of analog triggers on the Wii U gamepad/pro controller?

ramparter

Banned
Yeah, not good, Hyrule Warriors is here, Bayonetta will be out too, then comes Smash. And I have none of them already, still enjoyng my Tropical Freeze. I think the timing is bad for Shoveling Knight both for competing big titles and for releasing a lot later than when everybody was talking about it.

tebunker

Banned
Yeah, not good, Hyrule Warriors is here, Bayonetta will be out too, then comes Smash. And I have none of them already, still enjoyng my Tropical Freeze. I think the timing is bad for Shoveling Knight both for competing big titles and for releasing a lot later than when everybody was talking about it.
The amazing thing, as your post just showed essentially, is that the game will still be there when you are done with the other ones.

Whether you buy it day one or day 91, the studio still gets paid and you will still get to play one of the best retro action platformers to come out.

Is it not better to get the game later than never at all? If people don't buy it because it came out later then that is bigger problem with the community and culture of gaming in general.

If you really want the game you will find a way to buy it. I wouldn't worry or care about anything else.

Also I want to point out that I am using the general "you" in this post, and I used your post above as an example of something that troubles me about gaming culture in that we don't seem to fully appreciate everything we get, regardless of when it shows up. Which is funny because your comment about DK would make me thing you aren't the type who cares about that stuff, so I am a little confused.

Shizuka

Should I get ZombiU and Resident Evil Revelations for my Wii U? It's been years since I played a survival horror game and I feel like playing one for Halloween.

Top Bottom