• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Well the potential is there for an awesome 1st party year. I haven't seen a 3rd party lineup like that since the N64 days. I'm hoping for a Metroid or F-Zero though. Feels like Metroid has been gone forever even though Other M was only 3 years ago.

The only first party game i don't want on that list is Musou Zelda as it will probably be typical Musou shit.

Glass Joe

Didn't want to make a new thread for this so...

mqAyD4b.jpg

... Error or just want to get rid of the Wii minis?

I'm sure it went a little something like this:

1) Store gets big display for Wii U's for holiday season
2) Store sells enough Wii U's to no longer warrant display
3) Store decides display shipper could still be useful
4) Store fills display with Wii Mini's
5) GAF acts like this is clearly the store not knowing the difference

Roo

Feels like Metroid has been gone forever even though Other M was only 3 years ago.

I would be so happy if they announced a new Metroid.
What is Sakamoto up to anyway? His last projects (other than Game & Wario) were really small. Hopefully he's working on a new Metroid.

I was thinking of getting Splinter Cell today but according to Miiverse, it seems pretty dead online :(.

I will get it sometime, still have other games I want to get first and I don't care for the MP.

Next in line for me:
Pikmin 3
CoD Ghost (I have Black Ops 2 but I guess I need to move on to the next one, still on the fence)
W101
Deus Ex HR (gamepad features, runs well, guide built in)
NFSMWU (definitive version and cheap now)
DKCRTF 1080p60 platform goodness!!

Gartooth

Hopefully Nintendo blows the lid on release dates at this month's direct, specifically Mario Kart's which I hope is sooner than we think. I'm a bit worried that DKC:TF and MK8 will be the only games we get from now until Fall 2014.

Riki

Hopefully Nintendo blows the lid on release dates at this month's direct, specifically Mario Kart's which I hope is sooner than we think. I'm a bit worried that DKC:TF and MK8 will be the only games we get from now until Fall 2014.

I don't think they will be. Nintendo has said they don't want another drought like that, but we'll see.

Riki

I could see Bayonetta 2 making it into summer but I'm not sure about anything else.

Zelda Musou won't take long to localize so it could be a summer world wide game. I would also bet on at least one or two surprise announcements here pretty soon.

Zelda Musou won't take long to localize so it could be a summer world wide game. I would also bet on at least one or two surprise announcements here pretty soon.

Yep, I hope we don't have the same drought as last year, although I have plenty to play or pick up still. I really hope we get several surprises, but we already got Hyrule Warriors.

Yeah, I feel the same.

Don't count on them for much longer. If we're lucky we might still get Watch Dogs, though.

I don't know, I think Nintendo of America finally realized they were a part of the problem for Ubisoft, by not talking about (see: advertising) their games on the Wii U.
Which is why I think they FINALLY mentioned Rayman Legends in a TV ad, even if it was only in during the holidays.

Ubisoft and NCL seem to work together on getting some Ubisoft games released in Japan (Nintendo publishing), so while I don't think we'll get ALL Ubisoft games, I think we'll still get some. I HOPE that they can work out continuing to at the very least get the Assassin's Creed titles, and I would guess the Just Dance titles are almost a guarantee for however long the series continues.

If anything, I would love to see Nintendo pay Ubisoft for a ZombiU 2, and even see them get a revival of the original Red Steel in HD with online multiplayer.

I don't know, I think Nintendo of America finally realized they were a part of the problem for Ubisoft, by not talking about (see: advertising) their games on the Wii U.
Which is why I think they FINALLY mentioned Rayman Legends in a TV ad, even if it was only in during the holidays.

Ubisoft and NCL seem to work together on getting some Ubisoft games released in Japan (Nintendo publishing), so while I don't think we'll get ALL Ubisoft games, I think we'll still get some. I HOPE that they can work out continuing to at the very least get the Assassin's Creed titles, and I would guess the Just Dance titles are almost a guarantee for however long the series continues.

If anything, I would love to see Nintendo pay Ubisoft for a ZombiU 2, and even see them get a revival of the original Red Steel in HD with online multiplayer.

I would love both of those even though they'd flop as hard as zombiU originally did.

Nia

I want to see more of Yoshi's Epic Yarn. Kirby's Epic Yarn is the feel good game of the year all years.

GJK9BrW.jpg

Sadly, I could see their only being three retail games from Nintendo in the first half of the year. DK in Feb, MK in April, and either Hyrule Heroes, Bayonetta 2, or Yarn Yoshi in June. If that is the case the Wii U is in (more) trouble. I think fall/winter will be pretty stacked though.

"Not profitable, plans for sequel canned" is all we got I think. Ninty would have to pretty much singlehandedly bankroll it to get it to happen, and then some.

My problem with this, is that there is no quote. They don't quote him. There is no direct quote. I have never found the quote. No interview. Email. Investors conference.
I have looked. They make a claim that he said something, don't put it in quotes (paraphrased?), and how many sites ran it as a direct quote?

Even you quoted it as a quote, when it's not a quote from Ubisoft.

If he said it to investors, there would/could be a link to that. If he said it directly in another interview, that would be sourced/linked. There isn't. And the fact so many sites ran with that as a "quote" when it isn't one, is really pathetic and shows they investigate very little, if anything, these days, IMO.

My problem with this, is that there is no quote. They don't quote him. There is no direct quote. I have never found the quote. No interview. Email. Investors conference.
I have looked. They make a claim that he said something, don't put it in quotes (paraphrased?), and how many sites ran it as a direct quote?

If he said it to investors, there would/could be a link to that. If he said it directly in another interview, that would be sourced/linked. There isn't. And the fact so many sites ran with that as a "quote" when it isn't one, is really pathetic and shows they investigate very little, if anything, these days, IMO.

Yeah I know... I would love to hear it's wrong. I've had the console for 2 weeks but am enjoying ZombiU immensely.

I think we know what MH3U's sales are, and have official confirmation that it's the best selling 3rd party release? So a little research could put a ceiling on ZombiU's sales at least.

Yeah I know... I would love to hear it's wrong. I've had the console for 2 weeks but am enjoying ZombiU immensely.

I think we know what MH3U's sales are, and have official confirmation that it's the best selling 3rd party release? So a little research could put a ceiling on ZombiU's sales at least.

Is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate's sales the best for 3rd parties world-wide, or just in Japan? Either way, it kind of makes sense with how popular that series is in Japan, and NCL had a launch bundle with it.

On ZombiU, I bought it day one last year with my Wii U, and thought it was great. I'm planning on trying to beat it again on Survival Mode this year.

jmizzal

How do we know that wasn't the December ND? I mean they announced a Zelda game (not a traditional one, but you know what I mean)

I doubt thats it they have for years had announcements for the earnings report, rather something was announced in Dec or not.

jmizzal

I was thinking of getting Splinter Cell today but according to Miiverse, it seems pretty dead online :(.

I got it at launch online was fun when it worked, but the game is way worth it for the single player alone, its so much replay value in the game I put in almost 100 hours in the game, its worth it for cheap just for the single player.

I got it at launch online was fun when it worked, but the game is way worth it for the single player alone, its so much replay value in the game I put in almost 100 hours in the game, its worth it for cheap just for the single player.

I may still get it down the road if Ubisoft puts it on sale on the eShop.

It's pretty difficult for Zombi to be profitable at all.
The game underwent three developing circles over years before it even became ZombiU afair.
I think some Ubi dude mentioned that lately.

daydream

Banned
Got a WiiU today, so I'll be subscribing to this thread and the eShop one. It's updating now. Seems like servers are not quite there yet (had to restart two times).

Some Nobody

Nah, I'm betting on DKC in Feb (obviously), MK8 in April, then Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors and Yarn Yoshi filling up the summer months.

Now Smash Bros. and X are toss-ups, and since there's no scheduled release date for SMT x FE I don't want to put too much stock in saying it will come out this year unless Nintendo announces an actual release date.

daydream

Banned
I think that is part of the updating process

Nah, not restarting the system but the download process. Error messages came up so it's certainly a server issue. eShop is also a bit unstable, it threw me out one time.

Other than that I love the system already. Menu design is really slick, if not a bit slow. Gonna play some Rayman now.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I just picked up Wii U Party at Walmart for $50...It had a Wiimote+ in it (and I only had 1, so I needed a second). Apparently it's got some OK stuff to play with non-gamers (like my wife). Which leads me to my question:

Is Mario Kart the only game coming out this year that my wife and I will be able to play together? She's not a huge gamer, but she likes to try and play games with me sometimes...The Wii U is the best thing I have for that.

Zalman

Well the potential is there for an awesome 1st party year. I haven't seen a 3rd party lineup like that since the N64 days. I'm hoping for a Metroid or F-Zero though. Feels like Metroid has been gone forever even though Other M was only 3 years ago.
I think Metroid is safe. It's very possible it will be Retro Studios' next game. It's going to take a bit longer though since they're still finishing up Donkey Kong. It's F-Zero and Star Fox I'm worried about. It's been too long since we've seen those.

valouris

I got Zombi U and Rayman Legends during the e-shop sales (also, Rush, Edge, Toki Tori and Neon Assault Neo). They will go nicely with my SM3DW, Pikmin 3 and WWHD. Feels good!

prag16

Banned

Yeah, this is basically my reaction whenever somebody trots that "quote" out.

If he really did say something along those lines, I'd suspect it was more like "not even close to expectations" rather than "not even close to profitable". That would make a lot more sense (again, assuming gamesindustry.biz didn't just pull that out of their ass entirely; they haven't struck me as a great source of info over the past year in various cases).

It's one thing for people here to continuously hang their hats on that, but what's worse, as you said, is other media outlets taking it and running with it, with seemingly nobody following up. Shoddy journalism no doubt.

They have a partial quote and a paraphrase with little context, and NO other comments about it anywhere else ever again.

rawktapus

So I just picked up Wii U Party at Walmart for $50...It had a Wiimote+ in it (and I only had 1, so I needed a second). Apparently it's got some OK stuff to play with non-gamers (like my wife). Which leads me to my question:

Is Mario Kart the only game coming out this year that my wife and I will be able to play together? She's not a huge gamer, but she likes to try and play games with me sometimes...The Wii U is the best thing I have for that.

Donkey kong has co op. It might be tough for her if she doesn't game much, but player 2 can jump on Dks back and let him take care of the platforming and she could still help out with shooting and stuff.

onilink88

My hype for this game will skyrocket once we:

1) Know the official title

It's going to be Xeno_____, no question.

2) Know what kind of game it is

Well, if you played Xenoblade, you already have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

I just remembered, but wasn't Capcpom supposed to have a Wii U title (or titles) in development? Something about them wanting to focus on new stuff and not ports or something?

Incredibly sad that as I sit here with my 13 month old next gen Nintendo console that there are two games confirmed for 2014 that I will buy on day one. Iwata better drop some bombs at the Jan Direct or E3, I want a new Zelda, Metroid, Starfox and F Zero announced at a minimum.

Incredibly sad that as I sit here with my 13 month old next gen Nintendo console that there are two games confirmed for 2014 that I will buy on day one. Iwata better drop some bombs at the Jan Direct or E3, I want a new Zelda, Metroid, Starfox and F Zero announced at a minimum.
I think they're saving a couple of games until E3. I can see a Metroid game happening, but I'd like it if they decided to bring StarFox and F-Zero back.

Yeah, this is basically my reaction whenever somebody trots that "quote" out.

If he really did say something along those lines, I'd suspect it was more like "not even close to expectations" rather than "not even close to profitable". That would make a lot more sense (again, assuming gamesindustry.biz didn't just pull that out of their ass entirely; they haven't struck me as a great source of info over the past year in various cases).

It's one thing for people here to continuously hang their hats on that, but what's worse, as you said, is other media outlets taking it and running with it, with seemingly nobody following up. Shoddy journalism no doubt.

They have a partial quote and a paraphrase with little context, and NO other comments about it anywhere else ever again.

I wouldn't even call it journalism. To me, that would actually require some fact checking before you publish a story.
Here's just a quick source of some of the fine sites that ran that story, without any actual quote:
http://www.destructoid.com/zombiu-257720.phtml
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._sales_were_disappointing_no_plans_for_sequel
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-09-there-are-no-plans-for-a-zombiu-sequel-says-ubisoft-ceo
http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/8/4504622/zombiu-was-unprofitable
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/08/ubisoft-rules-out-zombiu-sequel-citing-unprofitable-performance/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/08/zombiu-wasnt-profitable-no-sequel-planned
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/8/4505416/wii-u-flagship-title-zombiu-wasnt-remotely-profitable

I think a major kudos here should at least to go Kotaku, since I think they are the only major site to not run a non-quote story, as basically a quoted story. Unless I missed their story, when I searched just now.

So yes, here's hoping the ZombiU 2 prototype that was rumored to be happening in May 2013, is still happening for the Wii U.

How many copies did ZombiU actually sell including bundled games. I have heard someone mention 500 000 but surely Ubisoft would have been delighted with that for an extremely hard new survival horror IP on a brand new Nintendo console ?.

Riki

How many copies did ZombiU actually sell including bundled games. I have heard someone mention 500 000 but surely Ubisoft would have been delighted with that for an extremely hard new survival horror IP on a brand new Nintendo console ?.

It was much less than that, but we don't have exact numbers. It did very poorly.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Question for folks here. When do you think Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate would be announced and released? Considering the Wii U version sold 200k in Japan, I would think they might entertain the idea of a Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for Wii U/3DS eventually. I just don't know whether that would come out in late 2014 or sometime after?

I think having the Wii U as the console (port) home of Monster Hunter would at least move some units in Japan.

Riki

Question for folks here. When do you think Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate would be announced and released? Considering the Wii U version sold 200k in Japan, I would think they might entertain the idea of a Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for Wii U/3DS eventually. I just don't know whether that would come out in late 2014 or sometime after?

I think having the Wii U as the console (port) home of Monster Hunter would at least move some units in Japan.

Around the same time as a G/Ultimate version of the 3DS game. So maybe Summer for Japan and Winter everywhere else if we're very lucky.

Riki

Well, how do we know, if we don't have exact numbers? I can say it sold more than 500K, and has now exceeded expectations...but we don't have exact numbers.

I mean, they had said a ZombiU sequel prototype was in the works back in May:
http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/14/zombiu-2-prototype-development-has-begun-ubisoft-dev-confirms/

We know it tanked hard in Europe (didn't even hit top 50 I think).
We know it did horribly in Japan.
So that leaves NA to have sold basically 400+ thousand units. And we know it didn't even come close in the first couple of NPDs. So yeah.
Ubisoft actually had a few WiiU exclusives in development. Including a Red Steel 2 remake (and possible Red Steel 3).
But unless something changes we can kiss those good bye.

Top Bottom