• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

flux1

I too think Watch Dogs will release at full price while it can be had elsewhere for a fraction of that. I will pick it up early next year after the price drops significantly.

This might not be the place to ask, but I was wondering what are some good 3rd party games to get for the Wii U that are cheap now? I have Black Ops 2 and was considering:

Need for Speed
Mass Effect 3
Deus Ex
Zombi U

I'm interested in the Arkham games, but heard City had performance issues. Were these fixed in Origins and is it worth picking up? Also Monster Hunter and RE: Revelations are possibilities.

ozfunghi

I too think Watch Dogs will release at full price while it can be had elsewhere for a fraction of that. I will pick it up early next year after the price drops significantly.

This might not be the place to ask, but I was wondering what are some good 3rd party games to get for the Wii U that are cheap now? I have Black Ops 2 and was considering:

Need for Speed
Mass Effect 3
Deus Ex
Zombi U

I'm interested in the Arkham games, but heard City had performance issues. Were these fixed in Origins and is it worth picking up? Also Monster Hunter and RE: Revelations are possibilities.

From the games i've played, i gladly suggest ZombiU and Deus Ex. In fact, if you haven't played those, i'd say they are "must-have". I also enjoyed Splinter Cell Blacklist. Read the lens of truth comparison... it's the best version, although initial loading times are long (also for Deus Ex btw), but once a level is loaded, restarting the level (when dead) only takes a few seconds. I'm currently taking a break from Mass Effect 3, but it's a good port (though i liked the games i mentioned better). I also finished Batman AC, didn't mind the so called problems. Also read something that any framerate issues were improved after putting the WiiU output to 720p... but i didn't do that and enjoyed the game. I didn't enjoy Need For Speed MW, due to it lacking local multiplayer and not being able to shift gears manually.

I also finished AC3, which was a decent port, but not a great game. I hear AC4 is much better. I also have Injustice (also cheap now) and had fun with it. My nephew bought Tekken TT2 and it was also fun (and cheap) with Nintendo costumes.

I tried the REvelaitions demo on WiiU and found the controls inferior to the 3DS game which i finished.

Yagami_Sama

The Wii U future is looking good, great games will be released soon, Zelda Musou, Bayonneta 2, Fatal Frame, Captain Toad and Smash Bros. Count Sonic Boom if you
expect something from this game.
And next year we have already several games announced, Xenoblade,The Legend of Zelda,Mario Maker,Splatoon,Star Fox,Yoshi's Wooly World,Kirby and the Rainbow Curse,Mario Party 10
,Project CARS (Slightly Mad), Devil's Third, and I hope Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. And Project Guard and project Giant Robo, if you expected something from this game.
10 Nintendo games for next year it is already a great start.

jholmes

Need for Speed
Mass Effect 3
Deus Ex
Zombi U

Need for Speed and Deus Ex are excellent on the system, and I would recommend them highly. Monster Hunter 3 and Zombi U are exclusives and great games, and while neither is all that impressive graphically I'd also recommend them both very highly. Arkham City's only real performance issue is that the framerate drops during cutscenes, which is very strange but doesn't affect gameplay. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but there is a game-crashing bug in the Harley Quinn's Revenge mode (which you should play after the main game, and only kicks in if you play it a second time anyway). If you get Arkham City and are worried about the game-crashing bug, hold on to your receipt and contact WB if your disc has it.

Didn't play Mass Effect 3 or Arkham Origins so I can't say much about them, except that Origins didn't get good reviews but it was on sale pretty cheap in the eShop recently. RE; Revelations has a demo, so maybe you'll want to give that a spin before you make up your mind on a purchase.

There are a bunch of other great third-party titles on the system too, like Rayman Legends and Sonic Lost World. Don't listen too much to the constant complaining about third parties on the system because some of the games are certainly worth your time.

kunonabi

Need for Speed
Mass Effect 3
Deus Ex
Zombi U

Zombi u is a must own and deus ex is
a fantastic port aside from the now mandatory dlc mission.

Need for Speed
Mass Effect 3
Deus Ex
Zombi U

Their all good, Mass Effect is more action then RPG but its still pretty good, Deus Ex is good and I played it twice when I first played it in 2012, but after playing Blacklist the stealth mechanics feel clunky and outdated, I still recommend it, but if you do plan on playing Blacklist as well, get Deus Ex first. ZombiU is good and I haven't played Need for Speed yet.

AirJay

Neo Member

Need for Speed
Mass Effect 3
Deus Ex
Zombi U

I highly recommend Mass Effect 3 and Deus Ex, both excellent ports from Straight Right. I also recommend Splinter Cell, though the loading screens are long. Rayman Legends is another great 3rd party title if you like platformers, as it was made for the Wii U first.

What was wrong with the missing link mission? It maybe dragged a bit but I thought it was fun.

It was good in theory, but losing your augmentation at that point of the game was annoying, and the amount of backtracking was annoying as well. Compared to the other levels that felt weird.

openrob

So it's starting to look pretty decent for Wii U from Sept-Dec 2014 when you include eShop & retail:

September:
Disney Infinity 2.0
Hyrule Warriors

October:
Bayonetta 1 & 2
Skylanders Trap Team
Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
Pac-Man & The Ghostly Adventures 2
Just Dance 2015

November:
Kenji: Rise of a Hero
Forced
Telsagrad
The Swapper
Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey
Watch Dogs
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (not confirmed but....)
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

December:
90's Arcade Racer
Fast Racing Neo (please make it this year)
Shanate: Half-Genie Hero
Swords and Soldiers 2
Super Smash Bros

I know there is a lot of Mega Man in August for the VC and probably some other eShop Indie games here and there but that is all I can think of right now.

Was this release window confirmed for Wii U? Any available source?

So it's starting to look pretty decent for Wii U from Sept-Dec 2014 when you include eShop & retail:

September:
Disney Infinity 2.0

October:
Bayonetta 1 & 2
Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

December:
Super Smash Bros

Thats my buy list though Disney Infinity 2.0 and Super Smash Brothers are on the border on not buying. At least not at release.

Effect

Still feel Nintendo would be stupid not to release Fatal Frame outside of Japan. Especially with the Resident Evil HD remaster being announced for Japan (no way it doesn't get released outside of Japan) and like expected there will be no Wii U version. I don't even care that Wii U is being passed over when it comes to the Resident Evil game. I do care when Nintendo has a game of their own that can fill the void left but refused to release it to all of it's customers, even as just a eShop only title.

Roo

Still feel Nintendo would be stupid not to release Fatal Frame outside of Japan. Especially with the Resident Evil HD remaster being announced for Japan (no way it doesn't get released outside of Japan) and like expected there will be no Wii U version. I don't even care that Wii U is being passed over when it comes to the Resident Evil game. I do care when Nintendo has a game of their own that can fill the void left but refused to release it to all of it's customers, even as just a eShop only title.

Why bother? Fatal Frame is as niche as it gets. It would be a waste of money and human resources on a game that will struggle to move units no matter how "hyped" people are.
At this point, with Mario Kart 8 out there you should know by now that every release it's a high risk. I'm actually still surprised they bothered with Xenoblade Chronicles X.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Why bother? Fatal Frame is as niche as it gets. It would be a waste of money and human resources on a game that will struggle to move units no matter how "hyped" people are.
At this point, with Mario Kart 8 out there you should know by now that every release it's a high risk. I'm actually still surprised they bothered with Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Why bother? To keep the fanbase happy. Why do you think games like Sin & Punishment 2 released? The Wii U desperately needs a library so they should attempt to localize titles here. Xenoblade X actually shows off the power of the Wii U, which is pretty much a good enough reason to release it here. Enough folks seem to have bought ZombiU as a bargain bin title that maybe they'd be interested in another horror game? Considering the low number of releases they might as well give it a shot.

Son Of D

Helps build a diverse library. And even if the game alone won't shift units it can add to the cumulative total of games someone may want on Wii U.

I made this, points to who gets it:

i8AHU8Qvtw5bz.png

Raw64life

Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and NES Remix Deluxe are the definites for me. Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta are maybes. I just wish they'd announce some solid dates for the fall lineup already. It's August.

jmizzal

Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and NES Remix Deluxe are the definites for me. Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta are maybes. I just wish they'd announce some solid dates for the fall lineup already. It's August.

We will prob get dates in a Sept ND, which will cover final Hyrule Warriors info, Bayo 1+2 info date, Captain toad and Smash Bros date. Maybe some new info for early 2015 games, and hopefully Fatal Frame U announced for the west

tebunker

Banned
You know I was pretty much in for Indies, Bayonetta's, and Toad.

I don't do Smash, and I am not a student of two button warfare, but seeing some of the other modes in Hyrule Warriors may make me rethink my budget...

Damn it...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In for Smash and Bayo. Will wait on cheaper price for Hyrule Warriors, and I'm not sure if I'll cave on Toad or not.

5fa17e9baa7e7dbb14c17ca26a5601a6_large.png

This game went up on Kickstarter today with Wii U as one of the consoles it supports (not a stretch goal)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/graphitelab/hive-jump-0
Seems to be ok trustworthiness wise. edit: Could be much better though as JDSN points out below.

As one thing of note, kickstarter doers, these and also in more general, should really talk about the console versions though. Either they haven't thought about it or they just don't mention it for whatever reason, but if they haven't talked to the platform holders already, they can not know for sure they will able to keep their promise. Especially seeing that they have XB1 as a stretch goal, as MS has their launch day parity clause.

JDSN

Banned
5fa17e9baa7e7dbb14c17ca26a5601a6_large.png

This game went up on Kickstarter today with Wii U as one of the consoles it supports (not a stretch goal)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/graphitelab/hive-jump-0

It looks really good, not really convinced by the experience of the team, also the strech goals are that incredibly vague "More game". I hope they dedicate more time to the management part of the equation because thats what seems more interesting at the moment, they need to clarify if they own the WiiU devkits, otherwise im not convinced.

tebunker

Banned
Seems to be ok trustworthiness wise. edit: Could be much better though as JDSN points out below.

As one thing of note, kickstarter doers, these and also in more general, should really talk about the console versions though. Either they haven't thought about it or they just don't mention it for whatever reason, but if they haven't talked to the platform holders already, they can not know for sure they will able to keep their promise. Especially seeing that they have XB1 as a stretch goal, as MS has their launch day parity clause.

Parity clause only applies to the @idxbox program people who get free dev kits.

Since this is a for hire dev house wanting to do their own thing, odds are they have dev kits for everything or maybe not.

If you read the FAQ they give some more info. I was surprised to see WiiU chosen as a lead platform. I wonder if they are getting some Nintendo support.

ozfunghi

Just bought X-Type+ for €3 on the e-shop... pretty addictive for a relatively simple shooter. It has a very clean design, i like it. Played it for about half an hour and nearly got in the top 20. I don't think too many people have played it yet, since it was taken down last week (and i'm no pro at this type of game). High score lvl14, 148.800 (classic mode). Edit: Just entered the top 15! Whoohoo (lvl16, 237.400).

You can try it out here: http://phoboslab.org/xtype/ but you seem to get much more points in the browser version than in the Wii U version.

Posted some screens in the screenshot thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124370057&postcount=12713

daydream

Banned
Got Tekken Tag Tournament 2 today. No Club Nintendo code, though, I call shenanigans! :mad:

Very much looking forward to playing this, love me some Tekken.

cand

I backed Hive Jump. Me and 3 friends just splited the $60 pledge. We are trying to decide the jumper name together XD

Phil S.

Banned
Hive Jump is being made here in St. Louis, so that excites me. It's been posted on the in IGDA community on Facebook, and it's been getting a lot of hype within our group of developers.

Pikma

Banned
So... The WiiU version of Black Ops 2 has just gotten the Nuketown 2025 map (at last). I think the fact that Treyarch actually bothered to put it in is really nice, since they were originally turned down by Activision Management back when the other versions started getting DLC. I know it's a year and a half late, but nobody was asking for it anymore, so Treyarch probably did it by their own initiative.

I hope Advanced Warfare ends up making it to the WiiU btw, it's pretty clear the WiiU community isn't as big as the other versions, but the audience is there, and it's very alive.

So... The WiiU version of Black Ops 2 has just gotten the Nuketown 2025 map (at last). I think the fact that Treyarch actually bothered to put it in is really nice, since they were originally turned down by Activision Management back when the other versions started getting DLC. I know it's a year and a half late, but nobody was asking for it anymore, so Treyarch probably did it by their own initiative.

I hope Advanced Warfare ends up making it to the WiiU btw.

o_O

Made a new thread, hope we get people to confirm. Da FUCK?

jmizzal

I hope Advanced Warfare ends up making it to the WiiU btw, it's pretty clear the WiiU community isn't as big as the other versions, but the audience is there, and it's very alive.

WHAT? Wow I loved the original Nuketown and was pissed when the new one never came to WiiU

Well I guess i'm getting Blackops 2 again for WiiU, its better then Ghost, Advanced War must be coming to WiiU, why would they even bother to keep updating the other versions if the WiiU COD team was dead

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Oh great I was going to play BOII and my piece of shit Wii U keeps freezing whenever I try playing it.

Unplugged the hard drive and tried again, same thing. Loaded up Metroid Fusion and Shovel Knight for a few minutes to test it and it's fine, then tried to go to Miiverse to see if anyone else was having trouble with the new update, and my Wii U froze again.

Great.

Treyarch is awesome. That is really, really cool of them.

I think I'm actually going to purchase Black Ops II now. I haven't played a CoD game in such a long time.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Treyarch is awesome. That is really, really cool of them.

I think I'm actually going to purchase Black Ops II now. I haven't played a CoD game in such a long time.
DO IT. The more people playing, the better. I think it's $9 (or less) on clearance now at Toys R Us if you can still find a copy there.

Top Bottom