• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

tebunker

Banned
DO IT. The more people playing, the better. I think it's $9 (or less) on clearance now at Toys R Us if you can still find a copy there.

I bought it for 18 played it, realized it isnt for me and then sold it for 16 I believe. So no complaints. I am glad they still supported it and people are still playing it.

I just found out about the refurbished Wii Us for 200, and watching W101 gameplay was too much, I got to have one now. Any recommendations for an action lover with not a lot of free time? I do plan to get Bayonetta 2 as well, even though I can barely play with a gamepad for an hour without my old man hands kicking in.

ozfunghi

Please don't tell me you were misled to believe it was the Telltale Games version...

Haha, no idea what version which game is or not. I was just making a joke about the game being too expensive for what it is at €4.

I just found out about the refurbished Wii Us for 200, and watching W101 gameplay was too much, I got to have one now. Any recommendations for an action lover with not a lot of free time? I do plan to get Bayonetta 2 as well, even though I can barely play with a gamepad for an hour without my old man hands kicking in.

Action... is a broad description. Do 2D shooters fall into that category? If so, there are a few indie games in the e-shop (Scram Kitty, X-type+). Do action platformers fall into that category? Like Donkey Kong TF? There are a few Action Adventure games that are good. Also, Pikmin 3 offers quite a bit of action, especially in the Mission Modes, but it's a RTS game.

Phil S.

Banned
Does anyone here play Wii Sports Club? I didn't do much with it when it was available digitally only. I was waiting for a retail version, and finally got one. I'd love to play with someone or some GAF members.

NNID: Phil32

jmizzal

Anybody know how Best Buy Pre orders work?
I pre order Hyrule Warriors last month before they announced the pre order SS outfits bonus, will I be able to get those or do I need to re pre order it?

I know at gamestop, I had to cancel and re preorder Watch_Dogs since I did my preorder before the Bonuses were announced

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I was yesterday at Gamescom and I try to do a little round-up about the Wii U games I played and saw.

First thing I wanted to do is to play Splatoon and I was there early enough to wait just about 10 minutes to play it. The game is fun, fun, fun. You could play a warm-up round and then 2 4vs4 games. I got a good grip of it after the first 4vs4 game and there are so many ways in which you can approach this. The squid mechanic really adds a lot in it. Not only that it allows you to hide in the ink or move really fast towards enemy territory by using a succession of paint - squid - jump moves, but it can help you also climb the walls and get into a higher ground when the enemy is around you. The whole scope being painting the ground it means that you permanently need to keep an eye on the map as you might fighting hard against the enemy and meanwhile a damn squid is painting all over your home turf. I even got to play another session of 2 games and my team won and I was the best player, which was nice.

I skipped SSB 4, as I've seen so much of it already that I didn't want to wait in the queue for it, and went next for Captain Toad. I played the dragon level. It looks better visually than SM3DW and the levels in the demo all had a different structure and practically different types of puzzles. I think it will turn out to be a great game, it seems to have the a lot of diversity and so many good ideas in it (like SM3DW). Captain Toad really needs to be pushed more into the spotlights, he has character.

After that I played Bayonetta 2 and 1 (in this order), I will copy what I wrote in the Bayo 2 preview thread:
I finally played the demo for Bayo 2 today at Gamescom. It was so damn good. Really fluid and spectacular. It was so good that I would have stayed there and played the same level over and over again if I could. It was quite a queue (I was lucky to wait just 20 minutes) all day.

I played the level with the Italian looking city and the church inspired by the Belgian Royal Palace. It had very detailed environment, nice models for Bayonetta and the enemies, nice textures (by comparison Bayo 1 that I played afterwards did have some not so nice textures), very good looking water (it will be heaven for that Miiverse guy that is impressed by water), the lightning looked also to be a step up from Bayo 1. The animations are smooth. And with all this, even when the fight was frantic and there were 5-6 enemies on the screen the game was so damn fluid. Smooth and gorgeously looking (the art is also helping more than in Bayo 1). A real joy to play.

Because I was there and there was no one trying Bayo 1 I gave it a go, using Samus costume. The costume really fits well in there and it's fun. But playing Bayo 1 intermediately after Bayo 2 it really seemed to me that they are a generation apart. The jump in quality it's obvious for Bayo 2.

I watched Hyrule Warriors being played and it confirmed me that it is a solid game. If you know what to expect of it you won't be disappointed.

Mario Party 10 was better than I expected as I watched 4 guys playing it. I think it will add up quite nice to my party games collection to use when the friends are visiting us.

Yoshi Wooly World is a cuteness overload. It will be the best looking 2d platformer. The wool mechanics are doing a damn good job of separating it from the other 2d platformers too. It adds a lot to the gameplay.

As for popularity, except for Sonic Boom and partially for Mario Party 10, for the other Nintendo games there were big queues with SSB 4 and Splatoon being the most popular, but Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 were close behind. A lot of women/girls playing Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad.

Edit: I forgot about the indie game of 2015: Affordable Space Adventures

I got to play a little bit and had a chat with the guys there at the Mega Indie Booth. I got quite fast a grip on the mechanics and the idea and the execution (at list visually, because the sound was replaced by some dubsteb from a neighboring booth) is really great. The developers were saying that the game is 98% ready but they will spend some month on polishing it to be as they want it. The whole "control your damn cheap space ship" is very nicely done with the Gamepad and while I played the intro and it was easy I got some glance and a more difficult area and some very interesting puzzles. I also liked some of the details, like that you can't steer the ship underwater (except for increasing and decreasing the mass) because you can't use its engine there. This will be probably released at the beginning of 2015, but I think it will turn out into a great game.

dearodie

I was yesterday at Gamescom and I try to do a little round-up about the Wii U games I played and saw.

First thing I wanted to do is to play Splatoon and I was there early enough to wait just about 10 minutes to play it. The game is fun, fun, fun. You could play a warm-up round and then 2 4vs4 games. I got a good grip of it after the first 4vs4 game and there are so many ways in which you can approach this. The squid mechanic really adds a lot in it. Not only that it allows you to hide in the ink or move really fast towards enemy territory by using a succession of paint - squid - jump moves, but it can help you also climb the walls and get into a higher ground when the enemy is around you. The whole scope being painting the ground it means that you permanently need to keep an eye on the map as you might fighting hard against the enemy and meanwhile a damn squid is painting all over your home turf. I even got to play another session of 2 games and my team won and I was the best player, which was nice.

I skipped SSB 4, as I've seen so much of it already that I didn't want to wait in the queue for it, and went next for Captain Toad. I played the dragon level. It looks better visually than SM3DW and the levels in the demo all had a different structure and practically different types of puzzles. I think it will turn out to be a great game, it seems to have the a lot of diversity and so many good ideas in it (like SM3DW). Captain Toad really needs to be pushed more into the spotlights, he has character.

After that I played Bayonetta 2 and 1 (in this order), I will copy what I wrote in the Bayo 2 preview thread:
I finally played the demo for Bayo 2 today at Gamescom. It was so damn good. Really fluid and spectacular. It was so good that I would have stayed there and played the same level over and over again if I could. It was quite a queue (I was lucky to wait just 20 minutes) all day.

I played the level with the Italian looking city and the church inspired by the Belgian Royal Palace. It had very detailed environment, nice models for Bayonetta and the enemies, nice textures (by comparison Bayo 1 that I played afterwards did have some not so nice textures), very good looking water (it will be heaven for that Miiverse guy that is impressed by water), the lightning looked also to be a step up from Bayo 1. The animations are smooth. And with all this, even when the fight was frantic and there were 5-6 enemies on the screen the game was so damn fluid. Smooth and gorgeously looking (the art is also helping more than in Bayo 1). A real joy to play.

Because I was there and there was no one trying Bayo 1 I gave it a go, using Samus costume. The costume really fits well in there and it's fun. But playing Bayo 1 intermediately after Bayo 2 it really seemed to me that they are a generation apart. The jump in quality it's obvious for Bayo 2.

I watched Hyrule Warriors being played and it confirmed me that it is a solid game. If you know what to expect of it you won't be disappointed.

Mario Party 10 was better than I expected as I watched 4 guys playing it. I think it will add up quite nice to my party games collection to use when the friends are visiting us.

Yoshi Wooly World is a cuteness overload. It will be the best looking 2d platformer. The wool mechanics are doing a damn good job of separating it from the other 2d platformers too. It adds a lot to the gameplay.

As for popularity, except for Sonic Boom and partially for Mario Party 10, for the other Nintendo games there were big queues with SSB 4 and Splatoon being the most popular, but Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 were close behind. A lot of women/girls playing Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad.

I got to play a little bit and had a chat with the guys there at the Mega Indie Booth. I got quite fast a grip on the mechanics and the idea and the execution (at list visually, because the sound was replaced by some dubsteb from a neighboring booth) is really great. The developers were saying that the game is 98% ready but they will spend some month on polishing it to be as they want it. The whole "control your damn cheap space ship" is very nicely done with the Gamepad and while I played the intro and it was easy I got some glance and a more difficult area and some very interesting puzzles. I also liked some of the details, like that you can't steer the ship underwater (except for increasing and decreasing the mass) because you can't use its engine there. This will be probably released at the beginning of 2015, but I think it will turn out into a great game.

Nice impressions... Thanks for sharing.
Regarding Captain Toad, was there any opportunity to find out it's scope? I'm a bit worried about number of levels and to an extent the variety. I love Nintendoland's Yoshi fruit game for example but found some of it was a bit repetitive. I also wonder if this is going to be retail or eshop, ala pushmo.

I've also had my eye on Affordable space adventure, sounds like it's shaping up nicely... Any talk of pricing? I'd imagine $10 or $15.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Regarding Captain Toad, was there any opportunity to find out it's scope? I'm a bit worried about number of levels and to an extent the variety. I love Nintendoland's Yoshi fruit game for example but found some of it was a bit repetitive. I also wonder if this is going to be retail or eshop, ala pushmo.

I've also had my eye on Affordable space adventure, sounds like it's shaping up nicely... Any talk of pricing? I'd imagine $10 or $15.

About Captain Toad, it had 5 levels for the demo there. All focusing on a different mechanic. And all having somehow a different style. I wouldn't worry about the amount of content, they seem to have so many ideas. It was announced as being a retail release, but with Nintendo being quite flexibile with the prices lately I don't think this will be more than 39,99.

As for Affordable Space Adventure, I didn't ask for a price. Generally indie prices on eshop have been reasonable

maxcriden

FWIW, I want to say that at E3 they said Capt. Toad has enough content to justify being considered a full retail title.

TAFK

Don't know how much action oriented it is but Super Mario 3d World is an amazing game to knock a few levels out for only an hr at a time.

jholmes

Disappointed this is getting delayed to 2015 apparently, but I'm glad to hear it's progressing. This is big on my radar.

dearodie

FWIW, I want to say that at E3 they said Capt. Toad has enough content to justify being considered a full retail title.
Thanks both ... I believe you're right about your e3 memory.
I am very much looking forward to both games. In the YouTube videos Captain toad looks to have some sort of filter that makes it all appear realistic... Like you're looking at actual plastic toys. That jives real well with Amiibos.

maxcriden

Thanks both ... I believe you're right about your e3 memory.
I am very much looking forward to both games. In the YouTube videos Captain toad looks to have some sort of filter that makes it all appear realistic... Like you're looking at actual plastic toys. That jives real well with Amiibos.

My pleasur!. That's a really interesting observation, I hadn't thought of that at all. You know, that same plastic-y filter was present in 3DW as well, actually! You can see it really well in B-1, Spiky Spiky Bridge:

super_mario_3d_world_rain_by_malerfique-d6qn79t.jpg

BTW, some have said that SSB is a great fit for Amiibos as well given that it brings this to life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eajoen8TeT8

Shauni

Was that $39.99 price tag from K-Mart for Captain Toad ever confirmed? I assumed it was some type of error of some sort, but it's still there, despite every other retailer listing it for the standard $59.99.

Was that $39.99 price tag from K-Mart for Captain Toad ever confirmed? I assumed it was some type of error of some sort, but it's still their, despite every other retailer listing it for the standard $59.99.

Apparently Newegg also put it up for the same price ($39.99).

If your definition of action includes platforming:

NSMBU is one of the most infuriating games I've ever played, so if you like sidescrollers that's an option

Mario 3d world's later levels are very difficult.

DKCR: Tropical freeze is probably also a fun and challenging game, if dkcr 1 was any indication.

Not sure what else the console has in the vein of w101/bayo though. There's ninja gaiden 3 but you've probably played that someplace else already.

The pro controller is supposed to be one of the comfiest controllers, so maybe try that if you have the cash.

Can anyone make some recommendation for some good eShop exclusive WiiU content? I know there are some great eShop titles, but a lot seem to be on PC as well, which is my primary platform. I'm really looking for something exclusive to fill out the WiiU.

Sendou

Can anyone make some recommendation for some good eShop exclusive WiiU content? I know there are some great eShop titles, but a lot seem to be on PC as well, which is my primary platform. I'm really looking for something exclusive to fill out the WiiU.

Scram Kitty (dope literally on-rails shooter)
Armillo (I don't know if it's good. Reviewed alright. Check videos if it's your kind of game. Coming to other platforms later)
Pushmo World (if you like puzzle games get this)
NES Remix 1&2 (if think you would like playing NES games with a twist then get these)
Earthbound (classic)

Shaanyboi

Banned

Scram Kitty
Pushmo
Earthbound
Shovel Knight (I know it's on PC, but this is where it belongs god damnit!)
Nano Assault Neo

daydream

Banned

Scram Kitty (on sale for US right now), Pullblox/Pushmo World, NES Remix 1/2, Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition, Armillo, Nano Assault Neo, etc.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Scram Kitty is only $5 right now, hard as hell but rewarding when you complete levels.

maxcriden

I'll strongly recommend Scram Kitty again. It's on sale for $5 so not much of a risk. Plus, you can enter to win the OST right now:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=874706

ozfunghi

I might have missed it already been posted, but (oh and yeah, it's not a game but still)...

Indie developer Helix Games (Don't Touch Anything Red for Wii U), are looking into making a Media Player for Wii U.
What do you think about it? I've always said why isn't anyone doing a Media Player for Wii U, now someone is looking into it.

Reddit AMA
Miiverse interview with developer @ Helix Games

Bailey Earley's twitter, developer at Helix Games

A media player that plays your PC files, streamed over wifi, on wiiu... already exists. And it's called the browser. Install PlayOn or Plex for free and you can access all your media files (movies, pictures, audio) on Wii U. So unless they can really streamline the app interface, i don't know if it's that useful. Let's not forget, many if not most tv's sold at the moment are smart tv's.

prag16

Banned
A media player that plays your PC files, streamed over wifi, on wiiu... already exists. And it's called the browser. Install PlayOn or Plex for free and you can access all your media files (movies, pictures, audio) on Wii U. So unless they can really streamline the app interface, i don't know if it's that useful. Let's not forget, many if not most tv's sold at the moment are smart tv's.
Eh, the way Plex requires your files to be organized is pretty stringent last I checked (provided you want it to be AT ALL user friendly). Lots of room for improvement imo. Even the PS3 Media Server is preferable imo (when it works that is... which lately is almost never for some reason).

Mithos

Tried them, they're both are crap sorry to say, not even SD material can be played back on the Wii U without major artifacting.
And yeah Plex require major rehauling of how the organization of files on server is places etc etc, and PlayOn's web-interface is really bad.
I hope their media player will not use the PC side to transcode/decode anything, but that everything happens on the Wii U hardware itself.

ozfunghi

I've used PlayOn and have not had any problems, other than the webinterface being from the 1990's. Played 720p movies without any issues.
I also don't see how they could transcode data that is stored on the PC, by the WiiU. In order to let Wii U transcode that data, it would need to be "read" by the WiiU on the fly... which is the reason why it is being transcoded to begin with (at least for filetypes the WiiU can play natively).

Mithos

I've used PlayOn and have not had any problems, other than the webinterface being from the 1990's. Played 720p movies without any issues.
I also don't see how they could transcode data that is stored on the PC, by the WiiU. In order to let Wii U transcode that data, it would need to be "read" by the WiiU on the fly... which is the reason why it is being transcoded to begin with (at least for filetypes the WiiU can play natively).

If I still need a powerful computer the Media Player on Wii U would be useless, I store my media files on an old Pentium 3, and it can not handle doing the muscle job, but any XBMC computer in the network that CAN do the muscle job, can access the files through the shared folder and play it back flawlessly.

So do it like in XBMC, just allow the Media Player to access any SAMBA shares on PC/MAC/Linux.

ozfunghi

If I still need a powerful computer the Media Player on Wii U would be useless, I store my media files on an old Pentium 3, and it can not handle doing the muscle job, but any XBMC computer in the network that CAN do the muscle job, can access the files through the shared folder and play it back flawlessly.

So do it like in XBMC, just allow the Media Player to access any SAMBA shares on PC/MAC/Linux.

If it can natively play those files and those files aren't too big for the network to transfer on the fly, they don't have to be transcoded, do they? Then the data just has to be streamed. But if the files are too big to stream over the network, they need to be transcoded... but how could the Wii U transcode those files itself whitout the same data being sent to the Wii U over the network to begin with when the files are on a computer on the network? If the files aren't too big, but the Wii U just natively doesn't understand the fileformat, their app could deal with that, obviously. So i think if transcoding is needed, it will have to be done on the PC.

daripad

Is Ducktales Remastered a decent platformer? Saw the game yesterday for like $30 (I'm in Mexico) but I don't know if it is worthy or not. Consider that I love platformers but never played the original game.

Danneee

Is Ducktales Remastered a decent platformer? Saw the game yesterday for like $30 (I'm in Mexico) but I don't know if it is worthy or not. Consider that I love platformers but never played the original game.

I kind of regret purchasing it. There are loads of better platformers out there and I'd probably only recommend it if you have very fond memories of the original.

Mithos

If it can natively play those files and those files aren't too big for the network to transfer on the fly, they don't have to be transcoded, do they? Then the data just has to be streamed.
Correct, you can playback "any" MP4 file through the browser, no matter if its a small 360p youtube video or a 720p movie, no transcoding on the PC side required.
But if the files are too big to stream over the network, they need to be transcoded... but how could the Wii U transcode those files itself whitout the same data being sent to the Wii U over the network to begin with when the files are on a computer on the network?
How can my XBMC machine playback my media files at my TV when the "server" I store them on can't handle to play them back at ALL? Answer is the file is being cached on the XBMC computer after accessing the file on the "server", and then its played back.
If the files aren't too big, but the Wii U just natively doesn't understand the fileformat, their app could deal with that, obviously.
They would need to cache the media file somewhere on the Wii U flash or HDD if the file is oh lets say several gigabyte in size. And things like this is probably what they are checking with Nintendo if they may/be allowed to do in a Media Player app.
So i think if transcoding is needed, it will have to be done on the PC.
It would be a failure if that is needed, because then the Media Player would "only work for some" that have a powerful enough PC to do the transcoding, I'm sure they want to avoid something like that.

Everything depends on what Nintendo will allow and not allow, apparently Nintendo have "some funny regulations with non-game software" as Bailey Earley says it on his twitter account.

ozfunghi

How can my XBMC machine playback my media files at my TV when the "server" I store them on can't handle to play them back at ALL? Answer is the file is being cached on the XBMC computer after accessing the file on the "server", and then its played back.

This is not the same though. Besides, if the file just needs to be cached, then why would it need to be transcoded to begin with? Only if the fileformat isn't readable for the WiiU and then their app could just solve that (with drivers). If it can't be cached, and the file is too big for streaming over wifi, there is no way the WiiU can transcode it on the fly, because in order to process it, it has to be able to read the data (over wifi). And if it were able to read the data (on the fly) then it wouldn't need to be transcoded to begin with.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Why is it not that good? Bad level design? Bad controls?

I think the game is fine, albeit a bit short. My only issue with the game (hard pogo requiring down and button in a certain order) was fixed in a patch, so I'm sure it's fine now. The presentation was great and the level design is pretty good. However, you'll probably beat the whole game in 5 hours.

Pachimari

I rarely get a Wii U game, and the last one were Super Mario 3D World at Christmas.

Now I'm considering getting one of these: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (played a little bit of it on GameCube), Mario Kart 8 (will online only last me?), New Super Mario Bros. and Pikmin 3 (have never played a Pikmin game).

Wind Waker HD and Pikmin 3 are the cheapest.

Min0

I rarely get a Wii U game, and the last one were Super Mario 3D World at Christmas.

Now I'm considering getting one of these: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (played a little bit of it on GameCube), Mario Kart 8 (will online only last me?), New Super Mario Bros. and Pikmin 3 (have never played a Pikmin game).

You should buy all of them in this order:

Pikmin 3 -> Mario Kart 8 -> Zelda WW -> Mario Bros. U

...You should have taken advantage of the free game with MK8 promo.....

Pachimari

...You should have taken advantage of the free game with MK8 promo.....

Nah, I'm not much for digital games anyway.

I might go out on a limb and get The Wonderful 101.
I really hated the demo, and haven't been too fond of any of Platinum's games (didn't play Bayonetta much and MGR grew on me, yet came to bore me).

ozfunghi

Nah, I'm not much for digital games anyway.

I might go out on a limb and get The Wonderful 101.
I really hated the demo, and haven't been too fond of any of Platinum's games (didn't play Bayonetta much and MGR grew on me, yet came to bore me).

Then get Pikmin 3 and W101. But whatever you do, get Pikmin 3.

Pachimari

I'm gonna try out Nintendo Land and Wii Party U with my 2 nieces for the first time. Which of the mini-games do you recommend? I'm excited about the ghost one, I think it's Luigi? And the Mario chasing.

Blues1990

I'm gonna try out Nintendo Land and Wii Party U with my 2 nieces for the first time. Which of the mini-games do you recommend? I'm excited about the ghost one, I think it's Luigi? And the Mario chasing.

Mario Chase & Luigi's Ghost Mansion will be good choices, but you should also give Pikmin Adventure a chance. The game is a lot of fun when you have some extra buds to play with. As for Wii Party U, The Balldozer & Gamepad Island are a lot of fun, and are far from complicated.

Mithos

This is not the same though. Besides, if the file just needs to be cached, then why would it need to be transcoded to begin with? Only if the fileformat isn't readable for the WiiU and then their app could just solve that (with drivers). If it can't be cached, and the file is too big for streaming over wifi, there is no way the WiiU can transcode it on the fly, because in order to process it, it has to be able to read the data (over wifi). And if it were able to read the data (on the fly) then it wouldn't need to be transcoded to begin with.

Sounds like we're saying the exact same thing just in different ways.

But anyways, right NOW because of the html5 support in the browser the Wii U can handle mp4 (if the codes are correct) of the bat.

What I hope the Media Player for Wii U (if it comes) will do is make it possible to play avi, mkv, mp4 that uses different codecs, without the need of something like plex or playon running on the computer to feed the video to the Wii U, because all the Media Player needs is have read access of a folder on the PC/MAC/Linux computer really to make that happen.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Luigi's Ghost Mansion is one of my best gaming experiences with friends, it's so well designed, I wish there were a full eshop game built around that or DLC, or something.

Mario Chase is fun, and the Animal Crossing game is fun as well with 3 players.

Top Bottom