• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U High Capacity-Battery and Wii Remote Rapid Charger coming to Europe on Oct 4th

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I paid £300 for my WiiU and Nintendo couldn't put a higher capacitor battery in there at launch.
Keep nickel-and-diming us Nintendo.
You could say the same thing about any other platform, they're all lacking in things we want and charge extra, but no one says they're nickel-and-diming us because that makes you sound dumb.

guek

Banned
You could say the same thing about any other platform, they're all lacking in things we want and charge extra, but no one says they're nickel-and-diming us because that makes you sound dumb.

Don't 360s still come shipped with controllers that require AAs? Or have they changed that

CoolS

Impressions from this thread:

As noted below, it's all about them dolla bills. I wouldn't be surprised if they were originally going to put this "extended" battery in but later cheaped out to cut down on cost, since there is quite a lot of empty space in the battery compartment

Updated my original post with comparison shots, will upload a video later with my impressions.

I weighed them with my not so accurate scale. The original battery clocks in around 1.5 ounces I would say, while the new one is roughly double that, at least 3 ounces. This doesn't sound too bad but it feels noticeable when I pick up the gamepad now, as if it's gained some girth. The payoff should be well worth it though.

Sorry, just got around to marathoning a few games. I got almost 4 hours of straight game time.

Played with the brightest setting, power save off, rumble on. Games I played were Duck Tales, The Wonderful 101 demo, and Earthbound. Overall this makes me pretty satisfied, noticeably longer (obviously) than the stock battery pack, and the weight difference feels almost negligible.

I don't have any concrete numbers to compare mine to, but I remember I could hardly get two or so hours while playing Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on the gamepad (with the same settings). I may do some more tests if I get requests, it's just a little hard since I have to marathon through to get the numbers (idling the controller does not give reliable results, i've tried this already).

Edit: Had another marathon. Went for a solid 6 and a half hours (before I realized I need some rest, will resume tomorrow). Playing on the lowest brightness, power saving on, speakers running at full and no rumble. Surprised how long this has gone.

Edit: And pictures

TAS

I paid £300 for my WiiU and Nintendo couldn't put a higher capacitor battery in there at launch.
Keep nickel-and-diming us Nintendo.

So @ $499 you must be really pissed at MS for not even including a rechargeable battery with XB1 right? ;)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

There was more then enough room in the WiiU screen to put a larger battery in. But Nintendo went for the cheaper route and a expensive console, knowing they were going to sell a bigger battery for more profit down the line. It's disgusting behaviour.

Knowing you openly want Wii U to die, I wonder how often you run out of juice with it.

Remarkably often. Battery life for the WiiU screen is pretty short. We tend to have it permanently connected to the charger these days.

RoyalFool

Banned
To be honest knowing Nintendos normal markup on hardware, that just makes me even more annoyed it did not ship with it. I expected it to cost way more!

guek

Banned
There was more then enough room in the WiiU screen to put a larger battery in. But Nintendo went for the cheaper route and a expensive console, knowing they were going to sell a bigger battery for more profit down the line. It's disgusting behaviour.
But then why are you not equally disgusted with microsoft?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo went for the cheaper route and a expensive console, knowing they were going to sell a bigger battery for more profit down the line. It's disgusting behavior.
No. Reading you Nintendo is EVIL. Here is the thing: one of the most remarkable thing people praise with the GamePad is how light it is, everyone love that. For the few hardcore gamers like you who can't help playing Wii U for long sessions, and don't want to bother with a power chord when they run out of juice, they give you the option to include a bigger, heavier battery.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There was more then enough room in the WiiU screen to put a larger battery in. But Nintendo went for the cheaper route and a expensive console, knowing they were going to sell a bigger battery for more profit down the line. It's disgusting behaviour

Don't play their game. Show them you're better. Don't buy the extended battery. Use the power cord.

Boycott their sales, don't bump the threads about their products. :D

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Wow, the Nintendo haters are hilarious. I for one will buy this as soon as it comes to America. I play the Wii U too much for the Gamepad to have such short battery life. Give me more!

PetrCobra

Now I don''t know if I should buy a Wii U. I think I want to wait until there is a bundle where this larger battery is in the Gamepad by default.

Damn.

guek

Banned
In what way?

I asked earlier but no one responded. I thought MS still shipped controllers requiring AAs with their consoles. And now I hear they're going to do the same with the xbone? I'm not sure of either of those to be honest, though I know that's what they did awhile back with the 360.

Remarkably often. Battery life for the WiiU screen is pretty short. We tend to have it permanently connected to the charger these days.

they don't make a profit on the system so your point males no sense

Caayn

I asked earlier but no one responded. I thought MS still shipped controllers requiring AAs with their consoles. And now I hear they're going to do the same with the xbone? I'm not sure of either of those to be honest, though I know that's what they did awhile back with the 360.
All Xbox 360 models are shipped with controllers that require AAs. The Xbox One controller will also require AAs to work.

Somnid

Note that at least in Japan the Wiimote charger comes with a white condom. I hope they change it but I doubt it.

NeoRausch

Note that at least in Japan the Wiimote charger comes with a white condom. I hope they change it but I doubt it.

dreamt sound like it. and you can't swap it out because it has a cutout for the charger. bummer, cause i liked the black consumer more.... beside it being a dust magnet.

ohlawd

will I have any problems if I imported this to use on my NA GamePad?

guessing it's cheaper to import from EU than Japan

Blows my mind the amount of plastic shit people will buy to avoid buying and changing rechargeable AA batteries.

It's not like they're using some less common AAA or square battery.

Caayn

do they include the AAs?
Yes. All the Xbox 360 controllers have been bundled with a pair of Duracell batteries. Major Nelson has confirmed that the Xbox One will also include a pair of batteries, although any details about them are unkown. My guess is that they're the same batteries.

Yes. All the Xbox 360 controllers have been bundled with a pair of Duracell batteries. Major Nelson has confirmed that the Xbox One will also include a pair of batteries, although any details about them are unkown. My guess is that they're the same batteries.

i did assume they did, was kind of a joke question

D-e-f-

Banned
I noticed three things:

1) most people are happy we finally get the option to extend the battery life
2) the first two people to shit up the thread with complaints and negativity about an optional convenience accessory are ...cyberheater and brera.
3) Point 2) did not surprise me one bit. :)

edit: Where's dave?

Mithos

I noticed three things:

1) most people are happy we finally get the option to extend the battery life
2) the first two people to shit up the thread with complaints and negativity about an optional convenience accessory are ...cyberheater and brera.
3) Point 2) did not surprise me one bit. :)

edit: Where's dave?

There are a few other names I'm missing too, but just give it some time. ;P

Isn't 2550mAh a bit…low?

The thing is twice as big as the 1500mAh battery yet it can't even do 3000mAh?

Nyko's battery, which is sadly not-so-reliable, is 4000 mAh…

Rafterman

Banned
Kinda shitty that this new battery magically fits perfectly into the battery slot, even though it's twice the size. So Nintendo intentionally put in a smaller, shittier battery knowing this thing would be released later and they'd be able to get another $30 off of people down the road.

Isn't 2550mAh a bit…low?

The thing is twice as big as the 1500mAh battery yet it can't even do 3000mAh?

Nyko's battery, which is sadly not-so-reliable, is 4000 mAh…

Because in order to provide you with a halfway decent price with the battery you either need to go lower capacity or lesser reliable tech.

Kinda shitty that this new battery magically fits perfectly into the battery slot, even though it's twice the size. So Nintendo intentionally put in a smaller, shittier battery knowing this thing would be released later and they'd be able to get another $30 off of people down the road.

Wii U was (or still is, idk) sold at a loss on launch for $350... Theres your answer!

here on this site we are pretty obsessive about playing games but for most people the stock battery is probably good enough but they now give us the option of a bigger one

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do Europeans use battery life more than Americans or is this just more of NoA's philosophy of making their customers wait a month or so later for no real reason?

Top Bottom