• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U High Capacity-Battery and Wii Remote Rapid Charger coming to Europe on Oct 4th

I don't really care about X Box One controllers use. That has nothing to do with my post. If they also use AA then that's pretty awful, too.

all i'm saying is that AAs in electronics isn't some kind of obsolete tech and they are still in common use, in some ways they can be even more convenient for many people

But... that's why the official battery pack is being produced?

Or is Nintendo supposed to magically transform everyone's Wiimotes into having internal batteries?

I don't necessarily have a problem with the official battery pack. But Wiimotes are still being sold today (even the "Wii U" branded ones) that use AA batteries. At least as far as I'm aware.

I still can't believe that Wiimotes still to this day use AA batteries. In 2006, sure, whatever. But 2013?

AA are standard and can be used in MANY devices. These Wiimote batteries cannot be used for anything else but Wiimotes.
You can buy rechargeable AA of any capacity, so if you're interested you can get big capacity at big price, otherwise it's still generally less expensive than specific batteries such as this Wiimote thing.
You'll find chargers that support not only AA batteries but also AAA and other types.

Both solutions have a limited number of maximum cycles (say 500 full charges?), so after ~4-5 years (depending on your use) you'll have to replace them; and again, AA will be less expensive generally. For me, it's clear, AA are superior to proprietary batteries when talking about Wiimotes.

Oregano

I don't necessarily have a problem with the official battery pack. But Wiimotes are still being sold today (even the "Wii U" branded ones) that use AA batteries. At least as far as I'm aware.

That's true. I'm not sure they'll take them off market(they probably already have loads of stock) but I reckon they'll start bundling the battery packs at some point.

Hope this hits NA soon, I need!

You do realised that would have bump up the Wii U price.

He doesn't care about batteries. He and 2-3 other guys troll every WiiU thread regardless of topic. This could be about the system coming with free lollipops for orphans and he'd bray about how backwards and unacceptable it was that it didn't include grape.

That's true. I'm not sure they'll take them off market(they probably already have loads of stock) but I reckon they'll start bundling the battery packs at some point.

considering how much it would bump the cost its a fair be they'll never bundle the battery pack with wiimotes

Good thing Nintendo Defense Force was here to sort it all out!

Nah man, I'm calling bs on that. Any time a thread goes up with WiiU in the title it's like a bat-signal for those same guys to come in and shit it up. You can read off the checklist every time. They obviously couldn't care less about the system, because most of the stuff they "have strong opinions" on is just meaningless.

They just seem like sad lonely guys with some bitterness towards life to work out, and they've made this their outlet. I don't know why the mods let them get away with it. This is just a freaking battery recharge kit, FFS.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Now, make this the default battery in future Wii Us.
Apart from price reason, they won't do this because it will come at the price of getting the GamePad heavier than it should for a lot of people, including kids.

This is not a Nintendo issue alone (poor battery life). Whether it's cost or thinness reasons, they didn't include a bigger battery just like the iPhone or your favorite Android phone, and it always makes sense to buy a bigger battery. I would buy phones twice as thick if it lasted twice as long, but whatever, tech has outpaced battery designs, oh well. Kirks tricorder or communicator never ran our of juice right? We need those batteries from Starfleet.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Thanks. Do you know if the battery pack includes the special wii remote jacket too? I see that the quick charge set shows the charger, jacket, strap, and battery on the box but the battery pack doesn't.

Yeah it comes with the Wiimote jacket.

He doesn't care about batteries. He and 2-3 other guys troll every WiiU thread regardless of topic. This could be about the system coming with free lollipops for orphans and he'd bray about how backwards and unacceptable it was that it didn't include grape.

Seriously? Well that's so sad if they feel the need to troll.

Though I thought that gaf had a strict membership to weed out the trolls.

tipoo

Banned
Apart from price reason, they won't do this because it will come at the price of getting the GamePad heavier than it should for a lot of people, including kids.

I guess it's hard for me to think of what it would seem to weigh to a kid, but at 491 grams would a bit of extra bulk really make all that much difference? The iPad 4 weighs 652 grams, and kids even at very young ages seem to handle that fine for a long time.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Whooptly hooptly doo! About frigging time!

ps: why are people complaining against industry-standard battery formats? If something could be adequately powered by AA batteries then, by God and country, it should! Or are some gaffers unaware of the existence of rechargeable AA batteries?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
There was more then enough room in the WiiU screen to put a larger battery in. But Nintendo went for the cheaper route and a expensive console, knowing they were going to sell a bigger battery for more profit down the line. It's disgusting behaviour.

One could easily say the same thing about the Xbox and PlayStation's paywalls and lack of backwards compatibility. To a lot of people, that's much worse.

Saying both makes you sound really silly.

CLEEK

The battery life on the Gamepad is appalling, so this is great news. Never trust the cheap 3rd party batteries.

ASIS

So it is true, black cradle/back of the Wiimote but white Jacket. That's the only color option right?

Screw this, I'm not gonna bother.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
when's the battery due stateside? been waiting on reviews for this other one

still crappy the one we got, even earthbound marathons drain it...

Question, why would you even consider that one? It's battery life capacity doesn't look much more than the original pack in battery.

The Extended battery is great guys, on my 3-4 hours sessions/idling with the gamepad on full brightness, I have yet to see it red. I have run several tests on it, and have got some great results lasting at least 6 hours (I can't tell you how long the battery lasts because I could not last longer than that lol).

I thought the weight increase was negligible?

Well, they were counting grams while designing the GamePad. Something negligible + something negligible + something negligible + something negligible = something noticeable.

Iwata: We made it as light as possible without causing durability problems. There may be some that would think 500 grams is heavy for a controller, but the result of pecking away at it like that was something much lighter than at first.

Ibuki: Yes. Any suggestions for a change in the design had to come with how many grams it would increase the weight. It was like: "I want a design like this." "How many grams will that increase the weight?" "Five grams." "Request denied!!"

Everyone: (laughs)

One thing I will give Nintendo props for recently, they really stepped up on the accessories side of things for Wii U and 3DS in the past year or two in Europe. What with developing their own accessories or licensing from makers to show confident in accessories that come up to standard (like the Hori screen filters) - It's a nice upgrade from the Wii/DS era when most of the time - you had to deal with third party products of variable quality, while knowing the good stuff was mostly all in Japan

Might not upgrade the battery just yet, I tend to have the Gamepad running off the power supply anyway, but will nab this when I see a good deal! - The Wii remote charger is a must though, I have cheapy rechargers and they just about do the job, but take forever to charge

OryoN

I still can't believe that Wiimotes still to this day use AA batteries. In 2006, sure, whatever. But 2013?

Whooptly hooptly doo! About frigging time!

ps: why are people complaining against industry-standard battery formats? If something could be adequately powered by AA batteries then, by God and country, it should! Or are some gaffers unaware of the existence of rechargeable AA batteries?

Judging by the quote above, yes!
I personally prefer AA-powered controllers. I like having a set of charges batteries on standby. God forbid you(or a family member) forgot to charge the controller, or it dies mid-game. I hate the idea of having to charge via a short cable while playing, or worse, not being able to play while charging. Also being able to choose my own capacity size is just another plus. In my experience, AA rechargeables are preferable, by a wide margin!

(My phone set at home use rechargeble AAA in each handheld, and I couldn't have been happier to know that fact on the day that they finally couldn't hold charge anymore. Save me the trouble of ordering replacements.)

Nunchucks

Banned
Same Nintendo logic with internal hard drive memory, which you need to buy a larger one if you need one.

which I think is still irritating. If I buy a PS3 and want to swap the HDD for a bigger one sweet I can will use the old harddrive in something else.

Wii U? Nope, can't. :/

which I think is still irritating. If I buy a PS3 and want to swap the HDD for a bigger one sweet I can will use the old harddrive in something else.

So you'd rather pay more for Sony to add extra internal memory than pay less to simply add external memory? I mean heck a 320GB hard drive for the Xbox 360 costs 130$ with 130$ I can buy a 2TB external hard drive. External Hard drives continue to go down in price, whatever HDD you can get inside your system will still be sold at the same price for years. I mean I do wish that the WiiU had bigger internal memory but the fact that I can actually save money just getting myself an external hard drive makes the paltry internal memory not bother me at all.

Nunchucks

Banned
So you'd rather pay more for Sony to add extra internal memory than pay less to simply add external memory? I mean heck a 320GB hard drive for the Xbox 360 costs 130$ with 130$ I can buy a 2TB external hard drive. External Hard drives continue to go down in price, whatever HDD you can get inside your system will still be sold at the same price for years. I mean I do wish that the WiiU had bigger internal memory but the fact that I can actually save money just getting myself an external hard drive makes the paltry internal memory not bother me at all.

Sure that's true, but it just annoys me that they don't just let us swap internally like on the PS3. Not to mention the fact that it isn't even USB3.0 so we are bogged down with slow bandwidth :/

Exile20

How is this a bad thing? It is very user friendly and simple. Buy an external plug it in and use it.

For PS3 you need to do this replace PS3 hard drive. What the hell? Not only that but you need to back up the original hard drive also.

Plus the PS3 can't play games from external, only internal.

Nunchucks

Banned
How is this a bad thing? It is very user friendly and simple. Buy an external plug it in and use it.

For PS3 you need to do this replace PS3 hard drive. What the hell? Not only that but you need to back up the original hard drive also.

Plus the PS3 can't play games from external, only internal.

Internal is better for speed purposes, and honestly while yeah that is more steps it is not complex at all.

Exile20

Internal is better for speed purposes, and honestly while yeah that is more steps it is not complex at all.

I am sure people compared loading between internal and external hard drives on the Wii U. I haven't heard it was faster but someone can correct me.

It might not be complex for the average computer knowledgeable person but for kids and casuals, it is like a mountain, between backing up installing hard drive and reinstalling.

Nunchucks

Banned
I am sure people compared loading between internal and external hard drives on the Wii U. I haven't heard it was faster but someone can correct me.

It might not be complex for the average computer knowledgeable person but for kids and casuals, it is like a mountain, between backing up installing hard drive and reinstalling.

Maybe, but extending the harddrives in general is going to be done by "average computer knowledgeable people".

sackferret

Neo Member
I don't have any issues with the Game Pad's battery life, I don't game enough for that. The Wiimote ones have my interest though.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I've had mine (my video is in the OP) for couple months now and it's been awesome.

I feel like I never have to charge it now, whereas before it was like 'Oh damn it's dying again'.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
One could easily say the same thing about the Xbox and PlayStation's paywalls and lack of backwards compatibility. To a lot of people, that's much worse.

Saying both makes you sound really silly.

Comparing the complaint about the gimped battery in the launch WiiU knowing there was space in there for a much larger battery and then Nintendo releasing said larger battery for more profit is one thing. Comparing that complaint to the folks moaning about the paywalls of Xbox and Playstation and lack of BC is plain stupid.

Please stop with the weak strawman replies.

Nunchucks

Banned
But... that's why the official battery pack is being produced?

Or is Nintendo supposed to magically transform everyone's Wiimotes into having internal batteries?

I think he's saying this accessory should have come out a while ago. I'm of the camp that thinks it should have been in since the beginning like the sixaxis/dualshock 3

tsab

Gamepad battery is definitely bought.
I may get the wiimote too although I can buy 10 ikea batteries for 2euros.
100 batteries or 1 charge pack? (If the lazyness wins, will get it)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

You are what's worse with the gaming industry today. you know? You seem very informed about the evil ways of Nintendo. You know what a shit product Wii U is. You have a lot of complaints about Wii U and Nintendo in general. And still you gave them money, encouraging them to continue their malefic practices. You are practically endorsing with your wallet all of this.

I advise you not to buy anything games related until all the companies in this industry turn into non-profit foundations.

Comparing the complaint about the gimped battery in the launch WiiU knowing there was space in there for a much larger battery and then Nintendo releasing said larger battery for more profit is one thing. Comparing that complaint to the folks moaning about the paywalls of Xbox and Playstation and lack of BC is plain stupid.

Please stop with the weak strawman replies.

seeing as Nintendo don't make a profit on wii u hardware repeatedly saying more profit makes you look a bit silly

also no bc and paywall online is far more inconvenient for people

Top Bottom