• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U update!!

@RichIGN "Guessing this takes... about an hour total. Moving faster now, actually. Curious if this is a download and THEN an install or what."

Wonder if it has a seperate install graph or if it's like the Wii/3DS and it'll switch to "installing" half way through.

(edit) Beat by Rich from IGN no less :p

lednerg

@RichIGN "Guessing this takes... about an hour total. Moving faster now, actually. Curious if this is a download and THEN an install or what."

That's what I'm wondering. Like if the first half of the status bar is downloading, and the second half is installing.

40 minutes and not even 50%, I guess that means 2 hours give or take and it'll be done!

Btw i'm very impressed by this streaming technology, he must have a pretty good PC :p

Cbajd5

This is why I need mine at midnight, I can let it update while I watch Toonami.

WHAT WOULD I WATCH TOMORROW?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't understand, why is a day 1 update expected/necessary for a system not even out yet?
Basically the system software and all the features promised weren't done when they entered into hardware production months ago.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't understand, why is a day 1 update expected/necessary for a system not even out yet?
Dev team was behind and they needed all the development time they could get. Hardware had a set launch date. So they put what they had on the system.

Sandfox

It gives the devs time to work on the system's software while the consoles are being built/packaged in the factories. This allows them to work up until the final day of the consoles launch on changing things up rather than stopping months earlier. All of the current gen consoles did it as well.

Darko

What if this is the update to the update....

leo.png

Dev team was behind and they needed all the development time they could get. Hardware had a set launch date. So they put what they had on the system.

This... US launch was almost assuredly rushed to make black friday, there is a reason why it's out in Europe and Japan later.

Can't wait till tomorrow when I open it up and wait for an hour for the thing to update out the box

You can always just play the games without updating when you first get it, then set it to update when you go to bed... then just hope that Nintendo was smart enough to disable auto shutting off after 60 minutes during an update~ else you'll have a bricked system by morning.

Row

Banned
It gives the devs time to work on the system's software while the consoles are being built/packaged in the factories. This allows them to work up until the final day of the consoles launch on changing things up rather than stopping months earlier. All of the current gen consoles did it as well.

But why is it being made into such a big deal for the Wii U? For other systems it wasn't given much attention, and with games it's usually because of serious issues seen in betas or review copies, but people seem to be going off of nothing this time but making it seem like a really big deal from what I can tell.

So I'm going to be excited after I pick up the console and then get home and have to wait 2 hours to use it?

Terrible. I'm assuming we can't play games while this downloads in the background?

Top Bottom