• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U will not have system-wide achievements

Einbroch

Banned
I love achievements. I check them before I play a game to see if I can get any along the way, and if they're somewhat easily obtainable I go for them on the first play through. Then if its a great game I try to get more.

I like having something there to show that I played a game. I like having something to check on friends. I like the weird challenges.

People actively cheering against achievements are puzzling. If they ruin a mood, hide them. If you think they're pointless, don't go after them. I thought choices were a good thing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think it's the thread title that's causing much of a fuss really. But then again posters can be dumb and read it as "no achievements".

andthebeatgoeson

Why is it hard to make it mandatory? How many resources is it going to consume for any dev to just add it during development. Sheesh. I dont know why Nintendo goes out of its way to screw things up sometimes.
Nintendo doesn't want to do it? Seems kinda stupid to shoe horn into a game like Zelda or Kirby.

Terrell

If Nintendo wasn't going to do anything distinctly unique with the concept, it's better this way. The current implementation of achievement is terrible across the board.

def sim

They are. It's called miiverse. Nintendo isn't barring achievements from games, just not making them compulsory or mandating a gamerscore.

Ah

If the system is in place, then I don't see why this won't be included in most games. For ports, the achievements will be in three different platforms already so there's no reason to think devs will exclude it from the Wii U. Still, I'm surprised they didn't make it mandatory since it's pretty much a standard by now. Doubly so at people saying developers should have a choice in this matter. Setting some standards for us isn't a bad thing.

Would be nice for those that care about them If they were mandatory, but I couldn't give two shits about them so no skin off my back.

NickMitch

To be fair that was always a choice: Earth Defense Force only gave achievements for exactly what you outlined (and getting every weapon). It won't even give them if you're playing co-op with someone and you're not the primary player. And of the games I played the "we'll give you gold starts for pressing start!" mentality was uncommon, more often it was for completing the first stage or a tutorial, which at least requires some effort put in.

Effort completing a tutorial? I could support an achievement for stuff that is not required in the main game. Like hidden items or such. And in that sense achievements has been sround since like forever. Commonly called easter eggs or hidden items.

Durante

So, is there or is there not some system-level tracking and comparison of achievements in place?

Well, that's fine, really. I'm 6'2" and Wednesdays is the only time I have time for chatting, anyway. It's great that Nintendo is looking out for me and making sure I'm not bothered by chat-invites going out on Tuesdays when I just want to play games and not chat.
This is the best post on NeoGAF.

madmackem

Has there been anything shown of miiverse that shows friends history etc what they have played?. That would soften the blow for me if i could do that.

def sim

Look at any feature Sony introduced with the PS3 (game related) that is not mandatory. They're not supported at all.

Yes and I was speaking in regard to ports that already have achievements made for the 360, PC, and PS3. IIRC steam achievements weren't made mandatory by Valve but developers still include them since there is already a system in place to support it.

Eusis

Effort completing a tutorial?
Unless it was just some video thing where you didn't perform actions you'd at least be making an effort to learn how to play the game and performing actions. It's still kind of silly, AND is just as obnoxious in a slightly different way if they keep giving you achievements for every little thing done (Prince of Persia 2008, which ALSO is guilty of the "Press start to play" one), but one achievement for completing a tutorial is preferable by far to the ones you get before even PLAYING the game for real.

Fraeon

I... don't really see why this is a thing of note at all. I mean, it's not a bad thing. It's not a good thing either. It's just a thing. But then again, I got bored of the achievement race years ago (around the time I got bored of WoW, interestingly enough).

Why is it hard to make it mandatory? How many resources is it going to consume for any dev to just add it during development. Sheesh. I dont know why Nintendo goes out of its way to screw things up sometimes.

Why exactly should it be mandatory? Such a dumb thing to force on anyone. This has got to be one of the strangest posts I've seen.

The Hermit

I will never understand why people want OS, pointlless based achievments/accomplishments/trophies.

I miss the day when those challenges meant something, like Goldeneye unlocking secret modes or the secret characters in Diddy Kong Racing.

snap0212

Yes and I was speaking in regard to ports that already have achievements made for the 360, PC, and PS3. IIRC steam achievements weren't made mandatory by Valve but developers still include them since there is already a system in place to support it.
We'll see. There will be multi-platform games at launch so we can see if that's the case very soon.
I will never understand why people want OS, pointlless based achievments/accomplishments/trophies.
They add to the fun people are having with the game. Just like some people think amazing graphics improve the fun they have with the game or a good soundtrack.

Wiseblade

It's kind of sad that this is news. Do people really care about global achievements that much? I could understand if it was about being able to quickly see what games you friends have, but an actual affinity for the e-peen contest that is achievement points? Nope.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
We'll see. There will be multi-platform games at launch so we can see if that's the case very soon.
You do know that a lot of those multiplatform achievement lists are already in Wii games? There is no reason to assume they'd stop now.

lednerg

So basically, we'll be able to do the same things we've been doing with achievements except for gamer score type stuff, where everything's added up for one total number.

Eusis

It's kind of sad that this is news. Do people really care about global achievements that much? I could understand if it was about being able to quickly see what games you friends have, but an actual affinity for the e-peen contest that is achievement points? Nope.
To be honest, I kind of suspect that with the vast majority of gamers it's not a huge deal. Well, there were higher reported sales for Borderlands due to having easy enough achievements a few years back if I'm remembering right, but it seems possible the novelty could well be wearing off for all but a few of the most dedicated who'd more likely post here. We'll see once the Wii U's been out awhile I guess and what publishers say about sales and achievements.

snap0212

You do know that a lot of those multiplatform achievement lists are already in Wii games? There is no reason to assume they'd stop now.
This doesn't mean anything at all, does it? What I'd like to know is if developers will use Nintendo's unified system or not, if all of them are going to do it and if it then can be considered the standard.

Basically: Will developers handle it like they do on Sony's console where they don't care about the optional features at all or will it be different.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Miiverse allows you to announce any achievement, even that you managed to locate the start button and got past the title screen. But now the public can judge whether or not that was worth celebrating or not.

I personally don't like trophies / achievements. I think they target a certain part of the obsessive-compulsive brain, and are therefore abusing what should just be a "fun" experience. I also don't feel the need to brag online with stuff like this. If anything, it comes across as not having a life when you have all the achievements.

Stewox

Banned
This is more great news to me, since we won't have to be bothered by flashy UI over-the-top "YOU'VE UNLOCKED AN ACHIEVEMENT YOU WIN MEDAL + 5736829 POINTZ" and BS like that every time I kill 3 enemies or complete a level.

Thanks Nintendo, It just keeps getting better, It actually never got

As it has shown in speculation threads over the months, the true nintendo fans what they most miss is USB3.0 and Optical Out, that's about it, only a handful ever cared for system-wide "achievementz".

Anyone who plays SSBB knows how irrelevant system-wide achievements are, it's just a FAD created by COD and HALO on the X360.

Eusis

Anyone who plays SSBB knows how irrelevant system-wide achievements are, it's just a FAD created by COD and HALO on the X360.
I wouldn't be so quick to blame CoD for this specifically, the achievements that likely are most popular in that series AREN'T tracked on a system level, but in-game for unlocking online weapons and stuff. CoD's definitely had a lot of bad influence, and the leveling up for online play is a huge one that hits a similar area, but they're actually one of the smartest by not including multiplayer achievements that can actively undermine the experience and frustrate the people wanting 1000/1000.

madmackem

This is more great news to me, since we won't have to be bothered by flashy UI over-the-top "YOU'VE UNLOCKED AN ACHIEVEMENT YOU WIN MEDAL + 5736829 POINTZ" and BS like that every time I kill 3 enemies or complete a level.

Thanks Nintendo, It just keeps getting better, It actually never got

As it has shown in speculation threads over the months, the true nintendo fans what they most miss is USB3.0 and Optical Out, that's about it, only a handful ever cared for system-wide "achievementz".

A long fad, just because you dont like it doesnt make it a fad and shit. I love party chat and with that might not being in im gutted i guess thats a fad and shit anyway too?.

Not really a deal breaker to me and I do like achievements and trophies, but I can imagine that this upset gamers who love the things. They should of added them for the hardcore and for competition. X360 multiplatform games on the X360 used to outsell the PS3 versions just because they had achievements. No, true story. That is the primary reason Sony decided to add them with Uncharted and beyond. For people who do not like the things, just ignore them. I don't see the big deal.

NickMitch

but one achievement for completing a tutorial is preferable by far to the ones you get before even PLAYING the game for real.

Definetlly but i think its strange to get achievements for being able to play the game. Im simply quite a self tormentor. I love challenges and when games tell me i suck. That triggers me to try and want to master the game. Games arent rollercoasters they are challenges. Like rock climbing. Alone. Without safety harnesses and shit.

Noi

I wouldn't be so quick to blame CoD for this specifically, the achievements that likely are most popular in that series AREN'T tracked on a system level, but in-game for unlocking online weapons and stuff. CoD's definitely had a lot of bad influence, and the leveling up for online play is a huge one that hits a similar area, but they're actually one of the smartest by not including multiplayer achievements that can actively undermine the experience and frustrate the people wanting 1000/1000.

Black Ops has online achievements. And Black Ops II has one for prestiging in multiplayer.

Hooray. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If Nintendo actually delivered a world class system with integrated online etc, you'd still be searching for whats missing. Its not Nintendo unless they leave something out. I'm fairly happy they've left out something reasonably lightweight this time.

Anyway, if its not there, it'll be one of the cornerstones of their E3 2013 presentation. How better to go up against PS4 and 720 than with global online acheivements?

But how are people going to be able to brag about their virtual inflated ego now?

By spamming Miiverse with screenshots and obnoxious drawn messages.

If anything, Nintendos solution is even better for people wanting to brag about their game accomplishments as everything they want to share is in their miiverse timeline.
It's going to be hell seeing all these people post every little shit they took on Miiverse to make them feel better about wasting time on a simple achievement.

Hell, this allows people to set specific user made achievements and competitions. Post a challenge on Miiverse, have people take screenshots of them achieving it. Bam infinite achievements per game.

Definetlly but i think its strange to get achievements for being able to play the game. Im simply quite a self tormentor. I love challenges and when games tell me i suck. That triggers me to try and want to master the game. Games arent rollercoasters they are challenges. Like rock climbing. Alone. Without safety harnesses and shit.

Like I said, with Miiverse you can set challenges and with game screenshots you'll be able to prove you've done it. Speedrun challenges, headshot challenges, k/d challenges, everything community driven, if people want it.

That is if people actually think of achievements as beating a challenge rather than ticking off boxes tricking them into the notion that they "completed" a game.

Stewox

Banned
I personally don't like trophies / achievements. I think they target a certain part of the obsessive-compulsive brain, and are therefore abusing what should just be a "fun" experience. I also don't feel the need to brag online with stuff like this. If anything, it comes across as not having a life when you have all the achievements.

Exactly - among other reasons.

It distracts away from the core gameplay into achivements-farming.

Produces an effect when gameplay is forgotten, the idea of getting those achivements tricks the mind into priority.

I am not against some special stuff like in Metroid Prime 3 with no flashy UI animations and huge text, you really had to do some big thing to get a medal and it was just simple text to inform you, for example destroying the bridge with full of droids and you would get a token. And it was just like 5 or 6 of these tokens throughout the whole game, it really is much more valuable and feels less chidlish too.

Eusis

Black Ops has online achievements. And Black Ops II has one for prestiging in multiplayer.

Hooray. :(
Correction to what I said: Infinity Ward is smart about it! Though I guess even Treyarch is wisening up IF that prestiging one is the only one.

Noi

Hell, this allows people to set specific user made achievements and competitions. Post a challenge on Miiverse, have people take screenshots of them achieving it. Bam infinite achievements per game.

I can already do this. It's called the Internet.

Produces an effect when gameplay is forgotten, the idea of getting those achivements tricks the mind into priority.

What the hell am I reading. Don't you get the achievements by playing the game?

Correction to what I said: Infinity Ward is smart about it! Though I guess even Treyarch is wisening up IF that prestiging one is the only one.

It's the only one >I< know of! I don't play CoD. :(

Stewox

Banned
But how are people going to be able to brag about their virtual inflated ego now?

By spamming Miiverse with screenshots and obnoxious drawn messages.

If anything, Nintendos solution is even better for people wanting to brag about their game accomplishments as everything they want to share is in their miiverse timeline.
It's going to be hell seeing all these people post every little shit they took on Miiverse to make them feel better about wasting time on a simple achievement.

Miiverse could be the biggest feedback machine of all time.

For example i post a message: Nintendo, please make rumble attachment for GamePad.

And if it makes sense, miverse could be full of replies to that post. And it would really show what nintendo community thinks, currently with Wii, nintendo has much less idea what community thinks, but I am glad the F-Zero thing got through to Miyamoto because that's the game we really want to get a comeback. (starfox too, I don't want to have "annualized" zelda)

Brera

Banned
Nintendo has the worst policies because they have a glimmer of hope, a glimmer that Nintendo gets it, a glimmer that they know what gamers want.

Then introduce a Policy that just leaves everyone unsatisfied,

madmackem

Exactly - among other reasons.

I am not against some special stuff like in Metroid Prime 3 with no flashy UI animations and huge text, you really had to do some big thing to get a medal and it was just simple text to inform you, for example destroying the bridge with full of droids and you would get a token. And it was just like 5 or 6 of these tokens throughout the whole game, it really is much more valuable and feels less chidlish too.

But all of that is optional you dont have to partake in any of it on the hd systems with system level mandatory achievement systems.

Sounds like a cumbersome workaround, just like friendcode lists. If we're complaining about the lack of system specific features, 360 and PS3 are absolutely lacking in that regard.
There is no community feature to allow game specific user challenges with a mode to prove a successfull challenge.
On WiiU there is, right from the system menu.

Stewox

Banned

What the hell am I reading. Don't you get the achievements by playing the game?

Most games have silly achivements that you get when you're playing the game like anyone would. You should also get achievements for other variations of the gameplay not just the usual one, I'm saying psychologically it makes you want to do stuff differently even if there are only achievements for normal way, it just spoils you.

The presence of achivement list is the biggest factor, by knowing the achivements upfront. This is what basically makes this system ridicolous, there should have NEVER been any achivement list and description how to make it and reward and other information, it's complete nonsense.

Unlocks & Hints were basically a working system - now dumped by this modern industry.

This is a gimmick that was constructed for X360 as a sales point, as you can see, kids are ballistic over it. "LOOK MOM I GOT 47474 POINTZ OF ACHIVEMENTZ AND THERES A REWARD I GOT TOO YEEEEEY IT'S A PINKYMINKY WEAPON SKIN" or "OH I GOT DA SUPAR DUPA MOTHAFAKA AVATAR FOR ME PROFILE" ... I'm super glad

And by the way: This may not come to as surprise anyways:

http://beefjack.com/news/wii-u-wont-have-a-standardised-achievements-system/

Top Bottom