• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U will not have system-wide achievements

I actually prefer it this way, I couldn't care less about achievements. I wish I could turn trophies off on my PS3, I'd rather have in-game rewards than little icons and *bing* sounds popping up during gameplay.

This is more great news to me, since we won't have to be bothered by flashy UI over-the-top "YOU'VE UNLOCKED AN ACHIEVEMENT YOU WIN MEDAL + 5736829 POINTZ" and BS like that every time I kill 3 enemies or complete a level.
I can't imagine you've ever seen a Steam achievement or PS3 trophy notification to call them "flashy UI over-the-top".

Anyone who plays SSBB knows how irrelevant system-wide achievements are, it's just a FAD created by COD and HALO on the X360.
You do realize that the achievement system predates Halo 3 by 2 years and COD didn't have its current weight until 2007 too?

madmackem

Most games have silly achivements that you get when you're playing the game like anyone would. That doesn't mean you should only get achievements for a normal walthrough and anything else should not be valid, I'm saying psychologically it makes you want to do stuff differently.

The presence of achivement list is the biggest factor, by knowing the achivements upfront. This is what basically makes this system ridicolous, there should have NEVER been any achivement list and description how to make it and reward and other information, it's complete nonsense.

But you can chose to not look at that at all its not forced in your face.

madmackem

I actually prefer it this way, I couldn't care less about achievements. I wish I could turn trophies off on my PS3, I'd rather have in-game rewards than little icons and *bing* sounds popping up during gameplay.

Surely ninty couldve taken the catch all look and did what 360 has been doing for years allowing achievements but also allowing the user to have complete control and remove nearly all trace of them from there gaming.

Noi

Most games have silly achivements that you get when you're not playing the game like you should. That doesn't mean you should only get achievements for a normal walthrough and anything else should not be valid, I'm saying psychologically it makes you want to do stuff differently.

The presence of achivement list is the biggest factor, by knowing the achivements upfront. This is what basically makes this system ridicolous, there should have NEVER been any achivement list and description how to make it and reward and other information, it's complete nonsense.

"Playing the game like you should"? Who decides how I want to play through the game, you? If I choose to play Mega Man X without using sub-weapons or picking up items, that isn't me not playing the game like I should, it's me choosing how I want to play the game.

In Deus Ex Human Revolution, having the trophy list isn't telling me how I should play the game. Its telling me I have the option of beating the game while trying not to kill anyone, as an extra challenge. Whether you try to go for it or not isn't something the devs forced on me, I can still choose to go in guns blazing at any time I want.

Abylim

I'll just treat it like my Wii. Will buy down the road for the exclusives, play them through till I'm satisfied, then never touch the console again.

Call me a trophy whore or whatever, but I love having them in. It gives me a reason to replay a game, or section. It tells my friends I did such and such thing, which is handy.

Nintendo will be fine without them, hell, they'll probably repeat this gen, and be top console again. Just dont get why they dont want such a system in place.

lednerg

Thread title is vague and misleading. People take it to mean there are no achievements whatsoever.

Here's all it means: achievements don't have a one-size-fits-all point system. The developers get to chose what makes sense for their own games. That's about the extent of it.

Does the game force the achievement list in your face when you first start it? Nope and it's quite easy to ignore them afterwards.

And if I finish a game and want to keep playing I look at the achievements and if they're interesting enough I use them as an incentive to keep playing.
If people have problems with OCD and feel the need to always get every achievement in every game ever or get as many in a playthrough as they can, then that's their personal bump they got to get over.

"Playing the game like you should"? Who decides how I want to play through the game, you? If I choose to play Mega Man X without using sub-weapons or picking up items, that isn't me not playing the game like I should, it's me choosing how I want to play the game.

In Deus Ex Human Revolution, having the trophy list isn't telling me how I should play the game. Its telling me I have the option of beating the game while trying not to kill anyone, as an extra challenge. Whether you try to go for it or not isn't something the devs forced on me, I can still choose to go in guns blazing at any time I want.

But it is influencing a lot of people. Hell I noticed it myself, the feeling that once a game is done 1000/1000 i rarely see reason to go back to it.

Achievements and Trophies have clear benefits but also detrimental effects.

Would a system wide achievement system make sense? Probably, but I think with Miiverse being basically a native gaming themed facebook/twitter feed, the setup is more open and rewards creative achievements more than going through a bucket list to "complete" a game.

Again, doing this on a device that isn't the console is cumbersome and akin to Nintendos friendcodes. It's all kinds of cumbersome.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
This doesn't mean anything at all, does it? What I'd like to know is if developers will use Nintendo's unified system or not, if all of them are going to do it and if it then can be considered the standard.

Basically: Will developers handle it like they do on Sony's console where they don't care about the optional features at all or will it be different.
The social aspects of Miiverse are independent of the software. While they can be built into a game, even when they aren't you'll still have the ability to take screenshots and post about what you've accomplished. So, yes, it can be considered standard.

Noi

But it is influencing a lot of people. Hell I noticed it myself, the feeling that once a game is done 1000/1000 i rarely see reason to go back to it.

Achievements and Trophies have clear benefits but also detrimental effects.

Blame that on the game itself not interesting you enough to replay it, not on Achievements. I play games I love that I've already gotten platinums for all the time. If a game was shallow enough that I was only interested in squeezing the 100% of it and moving on, why should I go back to it?

Would a system wide achievement system make sense? Probably, but I think with Miiverse being basically a native gaming themed facebook/twitter feed, the setup is more open and rewards creative achievements more than going through a bucket list to "complete" a game.

Again, doing this on a device that isn't the console is cumbersome and akin to Nintendos friendcodes. It's all kinds of cumbersome.

How is it less cumbersome on the Wii U? By posting "challenges" there, I'm limiting my challenge to people who have the Wii U version of a game. On GAF/Twitter/Tumblr/etc, I can post the same challenge publically and it'll be seen by more people not bound to just the console. What you call cumbersome, I call redundant.

Splint

I dont get how everyone here think everyone cares about the "bragging rights" part of them. I just want to see what others have played. If one guy has 2 games and one is COD , while another guy has 20 different games, its telling of what type of gamer he is. Who would you befriend? I guess if there isn't a 'games played' system, we won't know.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Thread title is vague and misleading. People take it to mean there are no achievements whatsoever.

Here's all it means: achievements don't have a one-size-fits-all point system. The developers get to chose what makes sense for their own games. That's about the extent of it.

This should be bolded, and even then we're not even sure on its extent.

Stewox

Banned
I can't imagine you've ever seen a Steam achievement or PS3 trophy notification to call them "flashy UI over-the-top".

You do realize that the achievement system predates Halo 3 by 2 years and COD didn't have its current weight until 2007 too?

Wasn't talking about them, I don't use Steam much and not even play any digital games anyways, nor PS, I just saw X360 because most trailers happend to be in that version.

madmackem

Can you turn off achievement pop-ups on the 360 without also turning off pop-ups for friends signing in, messages etc?

Im not sure you can go that deep, but as you say you can turn off notifications and sounds so you would have removed all distractions to your gaming time.

madmackem

I dont get how everyone here think everyone cares about the "bragging rights" part of them. I just want to see what others have played. If one guy has 2 games and one is COD , while another guy has 20 different games, its telling of what type of gamer he is. Who would you befriend? I guess if there isn't a 'games played' system, we won't know.

Thats what i will miss the most, i dont care about numbers i care about being able to see what people have played and done in games.

Ledsen

Im not sure you can go that deep, but as you say you can turn off notifications and sounds so you would have removed all distractions to your gaming time.

I want to see pop-ups from friends. I don't want to see achievements. If I can't set it up like that, then Achievements are forced on me.

Perkel

Banned
instabuy from me then. I hate all those achievements trophies. Since they were included developers just used it to fill your H with totaly not worthwile things instead of doing something fun like cheat codes in THPS2.

spekkeh

Banned
I hate achievements with a passion, doubly so when they're imposed on the game designers, therefore

361gwd.jpeg

Stewox

Banned
Does the game force the achievement list in your face when you first start it? Nope and it's quite easy to ignore them afterwards.

And if I finish a game and want to keep playing I look at the achievements and if they're interesting enough I use them as an incentive to keep playing.
If people have problems with OCD and feel the need to always get every achievement in every game ever or get as many in a playthrough as they can, then that's their personal bump they got to get over.

Well it spoils the general population - only those who can detect it's harmful effect can avoid it.

Starctaft 2 also has this problem, achivements are total bs, since every single one of them gives you 10 points, no matter how hard or easy it is, only category-complete achievement gives you 20 - useless. It's a gimmick, it doesn't work.

Noi

instabuy from me then. I hate all those achievements trophies. Since they were included developers just used it to fill your H with totaly not worthwile things instead of doing something fun like cheat codes in THPS2.

Citation needed. What's stoping developers from doing cheats now? The games that DO have cheats simply disable Achievements while they're on.

Stewox

Banned

No, those simply don't understand.

Game software can do whatever it wants to do, Nintendo doesn't tell developers about this, it's their choice, no matter if there is system-wide achievement support or not.

Noi

Well it spoils the general population - only those who can detect it's harmful effect can avoid it.

what

Starctaft 2 also has this problem, achivements are total bs, since every single one of them gives you 10 points, no matter how hard or easy it is, only category-complete achievement gives you 20 - useless. It's a gimmick, it doesn't work.

So blame Blizzard for their shitty implementation of achievements in Starcraft 2, not the whole concept of them.

def sim

You're assuming this affects the majority of people rather than completionists or those with addictive personalities? Gosh, you really want to make this bigger than it actually is.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I like the Steam system, where Achievments are not forced and most importantly GIVE NO POINTS you can accumulate.

No e-peen stroking possible.

Do the WiiU achievements give some kind of "points"? I read the first post and first page but didn't see this answered.

Roo

Couldn't care less about Archievements so I'm totally fine with this.
It really sucked I never "finished" a lot of my 360 games because I didn't spend 1003hrs playing survival mode to get the last archievement unlocked.
FUCK THAT!

spekkeh

Banned
I do hope this means that cheat codes will be back. From now on I will try the Konami code in every Wii U game, doesn't matter that there's no actual Konami Wii U game.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
When has Nintendo not been behind the times with this sort of stuff? I know people that buy games just for the achievements and boasting rights.
I want cheatcodes to come back too!

lednerg

Devs have access to Miiverse and can use it to share achievements online. In fact, since that's essentially advertising for their games, I don't see why publishers wouldn't be pushing devs to include at least basic Miiverse functionality. It's not like asking them to make a Sony @Home virtual world or whatever.

Perkel

Banned
Citation needed. What's stoping developers from doing cheats now? The games that DO have cheats simply disable Achievements while they're on.

Achievements/Trophies.

Decade ago additional content like challenges and cheats to unlock was big reason to replay game or play it many times more than 1 or sections of it. You were unlocking additional characters (like in Tekken 3), fun cheat codes skins and more (THPS2, AvP) additional hidden levels (fury in AVP1) that was huge factor when it comes to xxx hours spent.

Now they have a list of Achievements/Trophies and they fill it. You can count only few games that managed to do something more than just A/T with GTA4 being worst offender. GTA3/Vice City had tons of things to find and look out for and city was smaller than GTA4 and yet they gave you fucking pidgeons and stunt jumps.

They auto-assume that trphy whores are people who did play to get cheats which is wrong assumtion.

Perkel

Banned
So blame Blizzard for their shitty implementation of achievements in Starcraft 2, not the whole concept of them.

Yeah like Blizzard was only one that has problem. Most of developers now use A/T as just filler insted of using it to enrich experience.

Concept is superb but in practic it failed what it supposed to do (giving players same cheat options unlockables and overall more H in their favorite game)

spekkeh

Banned

Well apparently something has, because there's almost none anymore regarding level selection, god mode etc (let alone the funny ones), which I think is tied to this notion that it has to be some kind of achievement to finish a game.

Noi

Achievements/Trophies.

Decade ago additional content like challenges and cheats to unlock was big reason to replay game or play it many times more than 1 or sections of it. You were unlocking additional characters (like in Tekken 3), fun cheat codes skins and more (THPS2, AvP) additional hidden levels (fury in AVP1) that was huge factor when it comes to xxx hours spent.

Now they have a list of Achievements/Trophies and they fill it. You can count only few games that managed to do something more than just A/T with GTA4 being worst offender. GTA3/Vice City had tons of things to find and look out for and city was smaller than GTA4 and yet they gave you fucking pidgeons and stunt jumps.

They auto-assume that trphy whores are people who did play to get cheats which is wrong assumtion.

I'll ask again. What proof is there that Achievements lead to devs not including those extra features you speak of?

Hell, you can pin the blame on more likely things before you even reach achievements. Rising dev costs leading to less content in games. DLC giving developers an incentive to offer that previously unlockable content for more money. Content creators not wanting any of their precious work locked away where it runs the risk of people never finding it. Devs simply not caring to implement cheats in their games anymore.

Developers that actually care about unlockable content and cheats still put them in their games, even in modern games. Games on older consoles also exist that are as "trimmed" as games released today. Achievements have nothing to do with it.

Ein Bear

I love achievements/trophies, mostly because I get a kick out of having a record of the time I've spent with a game. Does the Wii U have an Activity Log? It scrates that itch for me on 3DS, so I'll be happy enough with that.

Social

I have liked achievements in maybe a handful of games so far.
One of the recent great ones was Jetpack Joyride. Great way of keeping you playing!

BearPawB

Banned
I like achievements. It's why I play my 360 way more than my ps3, all cross platform games on my 360 so I can get acheivements.

I find it fun to compare between friends

Top Bottom