• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U will not have system-wide achievements

batbeg

Given that miiverse allows for actual discussion, gloating, and screenshots to discuss your e-peen with fellow gamers, I could not even begin to imagine what they would bring to the table besides parity with the other systems copy+pasted irrelevant achievements, which would be very un-Nintendo anyway.

Good riddance.

Durante

Here's all it means: achievements don't have a one-size-fits-all point system. The developers get to chose what makes sense for their own games. That's about the extent of it.
The most important question for me is this:

Do they have a unified, convenient tracking and comparison system?

If so, everything is fine (and quite Steam-like). If not, then WTF Nintendo.

lednerg

It depends on who's making the game and how they want to do it. Nintendo isn't going to try to make everyone fit into the same mold; if developers have better ideas, then they can use them. That's why I don't get all the FUD in here.

EDIT: Well, I do get that it has a lot to do with the misleading title.

KlotePino

Not that big of a deal to me. I don't feel as if achievements add anything to gameplay.

Even though I don't care too much about achievements I think there's definitely games out there improved gameplay or pushed people to be more completionist. Examples of gameplay enhancing would be the way Orange Box handled it, going through the sand level not triggering any of the antlions made the level completely different for me just like carrying the gnome around and made it tons of fun to replay. And I'd have been much less inclined to complete the mile high club in CoD4 on veteran.

This is a bigger deal to me than it really should be. Damn my addictions :/
It is not a huge deal, but it is something that made it much easier for me to switch to the Playstation after my launch 360 and 4 replacement 360's broke and kept breaking. Mind you at my most I played like maybe 15 hours a week (christmas break, easter, summer, ect), but the usual is 2-4 hours per week, so it is not like my 360's were stressed by the amount of play-time. And so, I was just sick of always waiting a week or two at a time to get back to gaming, so just kind of made the PS3 my main platform.

When I'm not playing on my main-platform, I don't really like to be bothered by achievements and stuff.

Got enough of that addiction on my Xbox.

And also, achievements in a game like Zelda would just make it pretty silly. :(

If achievements is something necessary to get "hardcore" gamers today that is quite sad. At the same time, I do get enjoyment out of the good achievements in Valve games, so I hope quite a few developers take advantage of it.

tci

If achievements is something necessary to get "hardcore" gamers today that is quite sad. At the same time, I do get enjoyment out of the good achievements in Valve games, so I hope quite a few developers take advantage of it.
Achievements in it self isn't that bad. It is the way developers have butchered the whole premise. I thought they was ok in the beginning, now I just laugh at them and turn off notifications.

ArynCrinn

Banned

I agree, if it's regulated to a game-by-game basis, and not part of the account or user as a whole it's just a dumb exclusion. Maybe in a update, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Not to mention less than a week away and we know next to nothing about online details, it's not surprising that Mickey Mouse stuff like system-wide achievements didn't make the cut. Disappointed in Nintendo...

Larsen B

When I'm not playing on my main-platform, I don't really like to be bothered by achievements and stuff.

Got enough of that addiction on my Xbox.

And also, achievements in a game like Zelda would just make it pretty silly. :(

I feel the same. I like achievements on my 360, don't go out of my way for trophies on my PS3 and enjoy just playing games on my Wii.

As the Wii U is replacing my Wii, I don't mind.

I do lament that achievements have made unlockables a thing of the past though.

spekkeh

Banned
Besides, the gamepad already allows us to draw huge penises, mitigating the need for emulating one with an abstract score.

big_erk

Is it?

For me, the point of an achievements system is to have it tracked and available outside the game, and being able to easily compare it with others'. This is the case for Steam's system and if it's the same for Wii U I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it doesn't read like that to me.

Sure, the achievements are optional, but my understanding is that they cn be easily integrated into Miivese. Wouldn't this give them visibility outside of the games themselves?

Well I personally wouldn't even notice if Sony and Microsoft patch their systems out, Achievements and Trophies do nothing for me really. I do understand the part that people want to track and see what their friends have been playing but with the Wii U's activity-log and Miiverse I wouldn't be so quick to brush that part off so quickly! :)

jimi_dini

Does the Wii U have an Activity Log? It scrates that itch for me on 3DS, so I'll be happy enough with that.

Of course.

Wii has an activity log as well including the ability to show the total time used per game. I love that feature, it's a shame that PS3 doesn't offer such.

orion434

So will games that don't have Acomplishments be visable on your Nintendo I.D or whatever they are calling it? Hate all you want, when I'm looking for a friend to play through say Halo 4 on Legendary I can easily bring up their gamercard and see if they have that Achievement.

Balb

I used to love Xbox achievements, but kind of got over them after a few years. Achievements are on everything (including the GPS app on my phone) to the point of meaninglessness to me.

Wiseblade

Well I personally wouldn't even notice if Sony and Microsoft patch their systems out, Achievements and Trophies do nothing for me really. I do understand the part that people want to track and see what their friends have been playing but with the Wii U's activity-log and Miiverse I wouldn't be so quick to brush that part off so quickly! :)

This, basically. If Miiverse can't tell me what games my friends own/have played recently, then that's a failure on Nintendo's part. But I really couldn't care less if they have a gamerscore of 34609 or 782/1000 in Halo 4.

Diablos54

I don't get the outrage, devs can implement if they want. Hell, you can create your own and share them on Miiverse with screenshots if you really like.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I can't believe all the applauding for the omission of a feature that many people seem to enjoy.
If you don't care about achievements, turn the notifications off, how hard could that be?

Nintendo could have implemented a fun system with unlocks for your Mii, Miiverse themes or images or at least something creative. Their decision to just immediately kick the idea of system-wide accomplishments out of the window is very disappointing.
With this and the lack of system-level cross-game chat I think it's reasonable to assume that the entire Wii-U OS is very much rushed to release.

wsippel

Banned

Probably not. Then again, only Nintendo has the Activity Log, an at least equally important feature that should definitely be standard as well. There simply is no "one size fits all".

Joni

This, basically. If Miiverse can't tell me what games my friends own/have played recently, then that's a failure on Nintendo's part. But I really couldn't care less if they have a gamerscore of 34609 or 782/1000 in Halo 4.
A couple of examples how I applied the compare function.
- I look at my friends Trophy, I see they have an ending trophy for Darksiders, I talk to them about the ending. As long as they don't have it, I don't discuss spoilers.
- I see they have all the singleplayer trophies in Killzone 2, but no multiplayer. I ask if we want to go for them together.

I don't even care about cheevos much anymore and this is enough of a deal breaker for me..

Probably not. Then again, only Nintendo has the Activity Log, an at least equally important feature that should definitely be standard as well. There simply is no "one size fits all".

Steam has an Activity log.

So all that's missing from the 360/PS3 implementation is a fixed system every developer must implement and a system level way of comparing achievements with friends?
Am I missing anything?

Derrick01

Banned
Well that confirms that I'll likely never buy one, barring some kind of dick move by Nintendo like buying some game I want as an exclusive.

Whether you like them or not personally really doesn't matter. It's not having a basic feature that the others had years ago that shows Nintendo still isn't ready for current gen, let alone next gen.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can't believe all the applauding for the omission of a feature that many people seem to enjoy.
If you don't care about achievements, turn the notifications off, how hard could that be?

People are pleased that they are not forced onto developers meaning pointless achievements are in theory a thing of the past. If a developer wants to put them in there is nothing stopping them from doing so. Even Wii games had achievements.

Diablos54

Well that confirms that I'll likely never buy one, barring some kind of dick move by Nintendo like buying some game I want as an exclusive.
See, I really don't get this. Now, I like achievements if they're implemented well, but not buying a system just because developers aren't forced to include them is insane to me. It's not like they're not allowed to do them or anything.

oh sony.........

3784587+_a5f5a2303e9cfccf1783bb8895c31251.jpg

gkryhewy

This is disappointing- I like achievements. Day 1 for Wii U, but man I hate it when Nintendo sticks to their guns "just because."

Wiseblade

A couple of examples how I applied the compare function.
- I look at my friends Trophy, I see they have an ending trophy for Darksiders, I talk to them about the ending. As long as they don't have it, I don't discuss spoilers.
"Cool, you have Darksiders 2. Have you finished it yet?"
- I see they have all the singleplayer trophies in Killzone 2, but no multiplayer. I ask if we want to go for them together.
"Cool, you have Killzone 2. Want to play some multiplayer?"

Whether you like them or not personally really doesn't matter. It's not having a basic feature that the others had years ago that shows Nintendo still isn't ready for current gen, let alone next gen.
Do you really care that much about achievement points?

You'd only buy it if you were guaranteed that every game had achievements and that you could directly compare them with friends? Why?
All multiplatform games will have achievements. Exclusive games will most likely have them because they've become almost a standard part of games now (even Nintendo Land and NSMBU have achievement equivalents). All you'll be missing is a system level log of them which allows you to compare with friends. What you will have is an activity log with loads of other stats and Miiverse for sharing progress and achievements with friends, some of which will be handled by games automatically.
It sounds loads better than how they're currently handled.

Derrick01

Banned
See, I really don't get this. Now, I like achievements if they're implemented well, but not buying a system just because developers aren't forced to include them is insane to me. It's not like they're not allowed to do them or anything.

Well to be fair it's not like I was on board with the system to begin with but it would have been a really nice way to lure me in. Nintendo games bore me frankly but a well made achievement system could have made them more interesting to me. Honestly I've played a lot worse games than Nintendo games for achievements/trophies this generation, though I don't really do that anymore.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Not that big of a deal to me. I don't feel as if achievements add anything to gameplay.

I disagree. I bet alot of people here will spend extra time with a game searching for all the hidden objects in a game in order to get the achievements.. Now there is no incentive at all..

I wont spend time if it means nothing. Achievements / trophies are just one more way to feel like you completed it and can prove it... Stupid I know but it's true..

Jay Sosa

Since I never quite understood the appeal of achievements (especially since most are just ridiculously stupid and unimaginative) this doesn't bother me a bit. Still a stupid decision, not as stupid as not giving the gamer an option to turn the trophy notifications off, but close.

dunno, ask Sony.

I disagree. I bet alot of people here will spend extra time with a game searching for all the hidden objects in a game in order to get the achievements.. Now there is no incentive at all..

THATS exactly what I hate about achievements. Finding extra stuff and hidden objects usually resulted in getting you awesome in game stuff, like galleries or even better like in GTA extra weapons or extra health that made the game even more enjoyable. Nowadays you get some points that are good for nothing.

Withnail

Achievements have definitely changed the way many people play games and personally I'm not sure if the change is always for the better. Optional achievements is clearly the right way to go, the dev should be allowed to decide if it fits their vision of the game. Also it's good that Nintendo are daring to be different. Why do people want all consoles to be the same anyway?

The other thing that bothers me about Achievements is that they are designed to be addictive. Achievements are clearly a form of conditioning and I wonder if one day some parent groups might get angsty about it. Making them optional is a better fit for Nintendo's family friendly image.

I think a lot of Wii U news still shows that Nintendo doesn't get online, or how UI should be, etc etc.

Luckily I only buy Nintendo consoles to buy Nintendo games and I'm looking forward to getting mine on launch day, but it's still pretty pathetic.

Diablos54

Well to be fair it's not like I was on board with the system to begin with but it would have been a really nice way to lure me in. Nintendo games bore me frankly but a well made achievement system could have made them more interesting to me. Honestly I've played a lot worse games than Nintendo games for achievements/trophies this generation, though I don't really do that anymore.
Well... At least you're consistent. :p I've never got the whole 'playing a game for the points' myself, but hey, I can see why people do it.

batbeg

Nintendo could have implemented a fun system with unlocks for your Mii, Miiverse themes or images or at least something creative. Their decision to just immediately kick the idea of system-wide accomplishments out of the window is very disappointing.
With this and the lack of system-level cross-game chat I think it's reasonable to assume that the entire Wii-U OS is very much rushed to release.
I find it worth applauding because its spawned one of the worst facets of gamer culture this last generation. I thought it was such a cool idea, then I actually played games with trophies and got ones like "Beat Chapter 1", "Fire your AK 5000 times", "Beat game on normal". It was a total disappointment to my gamer mentality and I never understood people hunting for easy ones.

I would rather it not include achievements because miiverse has more potential to share worthwhile achievements, and I feel the traditional ones would detract from this much improved experience.

But hey, that's just my opinion. And Nintendo's.

elektrixx

Banned
I'm disappointed but fine about the lack of achievements. If they change their minds mid generation like Sony I'll be pissed.

I refuse to play any PS3 game without trophies. It wouldn't be an issue if Sony didn't re-set their standards.

Tim-E

I've gotten to the point that I love everything Nintendo does that makes "hardcore" gamers angry. I cannot force myself to care about achievements. Does this mean I'm not a "core" gamer?

Top Bottom