• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U will not have system-wide achievements

Hoo-doo

Banned
People are pleased that they are not forced onto developers meaning pointless achievements are in theory a thing of the past. If a developer wants to put them in there is nothing stopping them from doing so. Even Wii games had achievements.

They are only pointless if you make them pointless. If they are not system-wide they are completely meaningless by default.

Also, "forced" on developers? Do you know how much work it is to implement these achievements? Don't act like it's somehow a massive burden on developers to implement a few lines of code after a certain chapter or after a certain in-game "achievement."

I've gotten to the point that I love everything Nintendo does that makes "hardcore" gamers angry. I cannot force myself to care about achievements. Does this mean I'm not a "core" gamer?

The only achievements worst crap are the really hard ones to get, that take skill. These achievements actually add challenge and replay values.

Achievements for clearing levels or getting lvl 100 on a certain type of pistol can screw off. These make up 99% of achievements.

Hopefully with this policy, there are less useless achievements and more meaningful ones.

Derrick01

Banned
They are only pointless if you make them pointless. If they are not system-wide they are completely meaningless by default.

Also, "forced" on developers? Do you know how much work it is to implement these achievements? Don't act like it's somehow a massive burden on developers to implement a few lines of code after a certain chapter or after a certain in-game "achievement."

Yeah if it's optional then it's useless. Something like this needs to be system wide.

Also lol at the assumption that this frees up resources. This isn't advanced AI they're programming here people, these are little notifications and points that pop up when you do something that they already designed in the game.

I can't believe all the applauding for the omission of a feature that many people seem to enjoy.
If you don't care about achievements, turn the notifications off, how hard could that be?
I'm applauding the fact that they're not forcing developers to implement an overarching achievement system in one fixed way. Games like Smash Bros, Kid Icarus, Wii Sport Resort, Call of Duty etc. should be the model for this, not the inflexible system level systems of the 360 and PS3.

ArjanN

The only achievements worst crap are the really hard ones to get, that take skill. These achievements actually add challenge and replay values.

Achievements for clearing levels or getting lvl 100 on a certain type of pistol can screw off. These make up 99% of achievements.

I like level/game completion achievements because it let's me see how much of a game people have played.

I'm applauding the fact that they're not forcing developers to implement an overarching achievement system in one fixed way. Games like Smash Bros, Kid Icarus, Wii Sport Resort, Call of Duty etc. should be the model for this, not the inflexible system level systems of the 360 and PS3.

But the hardcore demandz it!!!

Tim-E

Yep. I'm not against their existence, and they can make for some good challenges, but they clearly suck most of the time and most of the people who care about them want some meaningless score attached to an account so that they can hopefully look cool on the internet.

Withnail

Actually there is quite a large overhead in implementing acheivements. The actual code to unlock might be trivial but there is work has to go into design (e.g. design the achievements, design the art, write and localise all the descriptions) and in particular an awful lot of work should go into QA/cert to make sure that all the achievements work properly and can be unlocked in a variety of game situations.

Tim-E

Actually there is quite a large overhead in implementing acheivements. The actual code to unlock might be trivial but there is work has to go into design (e.g. design the achivements, design the art, write and localise all the descriptions) and in particular an awful lot of work goes into QA/cert to make sure that all the achievements work properly and can be unlocked in a variety of game situations.

bububu line of code for notificationz!

Jucksalbe

Banned
I like collecting trophies on PS3/Vita (got something over 30 plats), but I still don't care about this. There are features that should be mandatory (or system functions), but this is certainly not one of them.

Does anyone know if the WiiU has an activity log like the 3DS does?

Seance

Banned
I never knew game designers had it so tough, I guess I had no idea. Being forced to make achievements for their games... It's horrible.
wut?

And the gamers! Having to endure the torment of achievements popping up on screen, but no more!

Thank you based Nintendo!!!!! You have saved us from the evil achievements!!

Larsen B

Actually the real issue here is when I see my friend playing a game online, will it say "DudeLove88 is playing Zelda HD" or will it say "DudeLove88 is searching for the last piece of the Triforce in Zelda HD"?

That's a bigger question.

So, we have argument between people who think implementing achievement is a chore for developers, and people who think implementing system wide achievement for Nintendo was difficult?!

lol

Metal B

The most important question for me is this:

Do they have a unified, convenient tracking and comparison system?

If so, everything is fine (and quite Steam-like). If not, then WTF Nintendo.

Well, first there is the universal Log for Play-Time. Second Miiverse, where you can post uneditable screenshots of events in the game and people can comment your post. You have an new high score? Post a screenshot and ask strangers or your friends to show off there results. It is much more manual, but also much more social. Third developers can build in events, where they ask you to comment a specific point in game, like dying in one pit or finding a certain treasure. Then it will randomly show your post to strangers or your friends and visa versa.

The system has you and the developer do more, then only reaching the goal, but it can also make your experience more personal, then only compare points or trophies.

ArjanN

Actually the real issue here is when I see my friend playing a game online, will it say "DudeLove88 is playing Zelda HD" or will it say "DudeLove88 is searching for the last piece of the Triforce in Zelda HD"?

"Dudelove88 has played for 20 hours and just finished the tutorial. Achievement unlocked!"

10.jpg

Eideka

Banned
I never knew game designers had it so tough, I guess I had no idea. Being forced to make achievements for their games... It's horrible.
wut?

And the gamers! Having to endure the torment of achievements popping up on screen, but no more!

Thank you based Nintendo!!!!! You have saved us from the evil achievements!!

Is this really necessary ? :/

LeleSocho

Banned
I'm waiting the news that WiiU will not play games at this point

not that i care about achievements but... sheesh it's a standard nowadays.
As i said in the other thread this console is getting worse and worse everyday that pass.

Jay Sosa

Would you enjoy seeing shit popping up on your screen and making an annoying sound when you're watching a movie?

No you wouldn't.

No one has a problem with achievements as long as you can turn that annoying shit off. And with Nintendo I'm not so sure they would have given the user a choice.

They aren't pointless if they aren't system wide. If they get entered into your miiverse, which any game can put information in miiverse, the effect is the same even if each game gives its own name to achievements.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No they are not. Brawl unlocked things when you beat a challenge. Being self contained does not make them meaningless by default. Not putting any thought into them makes them pointless by default.

And this logic is why people are not a fan of them. Developers who just add "a few lines of code" at the end of fixed goals clearly didn't want to waste time with them so just threw some in to tick off the achievement tickbox.

People like the concept of achievements as additional challenges and not just an additional message to tell you that you're make normal progress in the game.

Metal B

I believe, you see what your friend is actual playing. What you know about him playing, is up to him. He can write a post about the game and it will show up in his log of the game. He basically can comment every part of his adventures, if he wants for example: DudeLove88 - "I'm searching for the last piece of the Triforce in Zelda HD. Where are you now?". Or the devolpers can ask him to post a comment at some specific point in the game, like after the second to last piece, he could write: DudeLove88 - "This was hard! Now after the last one!". And if you get to the point, you see his message.

lednerg

"System-wide achievements" just means having one type of point system for all games. If you had read the article, you'd see how the Scribblenauts guys devised their own point system for Unlimited. That's all this is about. The Wii U supports whatever kind of achievements developers feel like putting into their games. They aren't making all devs use trophies or 'Yoshi eggs' or what have you. It's an open system.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Perfect for me, not so perfect for those CHEEVEY HUNTERS! Gotta see that number go up!

The sad thing is that thanks to the 360, achievements are regarded as nothing but a meaningless number for achievement hunters, while it could be so much more than that if they only took the time.

I expected Nintendo to come up with their own take on the system, maybe by collecting coins you can unlock a new hat for your Mii to show off in Miiverse? Maybe you unlock a new gamerpicture/text balloon shape/sticker or Miiverse theme. The ideas are pretty limitless.

Sony tried to do this by giving actual Playstation Home rewards and trophies, but of course we all know PS Home backfired immensely and nobody ended up giving a fuck.
Nintendo and Microsoft on the other hand have a widely accepted way to display Avatars and Mii's and yet nothing gets done with these achievements except for the extremely rare Xbox 360 achievement awards. (which are awesome, by the way)

I expect both Sony and Microsoft to take this idea further than just numbers in the next generation, and it's not that hard to see why it's disappointing that Nintendo just thought "fuck it" and threw the entire idea out the window from the start.

I'm waiting the news that WiiU will not play games at this point

not that i care about achievements but... sheesh it's a standard nowadays.
As i said in the other thread this console is getting worse and worse everyday that pass.
Nintendo adds a fully Wii compatible mode instead of hit and miss software emulation: console getting worse
Nintendo adds video chat that doesn't work inside of games [for now]: console getting worse
Nintendo gives the developers the option to add the achievements, and also implementation via miiverse: console getting worse

even comments at eurogamer aren't these biased; just stop trolling

Jay Sosa

I guess you find it impossible to play games with a HUD.

Actually yes I prefer games that give me the option to play hud-less, or even better when the developers implement the health meter and other important information in some other way (see Dead Space)

So you wouldn't have a problem with a HUD that pops up during a cut scene and makes a ping noise? Interesting.

I actually care, I like getting achievements. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and still getting day one, however that being said, this is pretty stupid on their end. Every major gaming platform has achievements, and to not have it now seems kind of archaic. Steam, Origin, Vita, ps3, 360, etc.
I know it's not necessary but still very nice to have. I like them because seeing as I don't have nearly as much time to play in my late 20's as I did in my teens, it at least gives me an idea of things to do in game, that I probably wouldn't normally try for. Call it what you will, but I think this is a huge oversight on Nintendo's part. Hope it gets patched in - in the future.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So the common complaints and the info from what I gather:

"Wii U doesn't have achievements!" - Yes they have. They're not traditional, but they exist.

"But it won't track my progress/tell my friends!" So far the hint is that the Miiverse will do that for you.

Really, the only thing they don't have is gamescore.

smr00

Banned
The sad thing is that thanks to the 360, achievements are regarded as nothing but a meaningless number for achievement hunters, while it could be so much more than that if they only took the time.

I expected Nintendo to come up with their own take on the system, maybe by collecting coins you can unlock a new hat for your Mii to show off in Miiverse? Maybe you unlock a new gamerpicture/text balloon shape/sticker or Miiverse theme. The ideas are pretty limitless.

Sony tried to do this by giving actual Playstation Home rewards and trophies, but of course we all know PS Home backfired immensely and nobody ended up giving a fuck.
Nintendo and Microsoft on the other hand have a widely accepted way to display Avatars and Mii's and yet nothing gets done with these achievements except for the extremely rare Xbox 360 achievement awards. (which are awesome, by the way)

I expect both Sony and Microsoft to take this idea further than just numbers in the next generation, and it's not that hard to see why it's disappointing that Nintendo just thought "fuck it" and threw the entire idea out the window from the start.
The only way i would ever care for achievements is if you get some kind of physical reward.

Avatars, clothing for mii's and home items is absolutely useless to me. I would rather get club nintendo points from nintendo, MS points from microsoft and PSN credit or something. Make it where if you get X amount of achievements per year you get into like "bronze/silver/gold" level and you get a gift per level. Make it interesting.

I actually care, I like getting achievements. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and still getting day one, however that being said, this is pretty stupid on their end. Every major gaming platform has achievements, and to not have it now seems kind of archaic. Steam, Origin, Vita, ps3, 360, etc.
I know it's not necessary but still very nice to have. I like them because seeing as I don't have nearly as much time to play in my late 20's as I did in my teens, it at least gives me an idea of things to do in game, that I probably wouldn't normally try for. Call it what you will, but I think this is a huge oversight on Nintendo's part. Hope it gets patched in - in the future.
I thought people in their 20's had already learned to read?

edit: reading almost all Wii U related threads is bond to give you cancer...

Wiz

Wow. Never knew people cared about achievements that much. I'm sure they'll be in games that actually make sense to use them in. Overreacting much?

Tim-E

Wow. Never knew people cared about achievements that much. I'm sure they'll be in games that actually make sense to use them in. Overreacting much?

Overreacting in a Nintendo thread on GAF? This has never happened.

I don't see any reason they shouldn't have added them. They don't even need to be required by devs; there just needs to be a point system and an easy a at to compare games. If you don't like them, you can turn off the notifications. I don't even like achievements, but I thought even this wouldn't be looked over by Nintendo.

Mael

I hope that people claiming that achievements are free/easy to put in games work in Q/A to see how easy it is to implement them...
That said not putting them in a clear and non confusing way would be in anyone's best interest, Nintendo being Nintendo I guess.

Jay Sosa

I don't see any reason shouldn't have added them. They don't even need to be required by devs; there just needs to be a point system and an easy a at to compare games. If you don't like them, you can turn off the notifications. I don't even like achievements, but I thought even this wouldn't be looked over by Nintendo.

Again, out of two companies one doesn't allow it. Who says Nintendo would?

Rootbeer

Banned
I just want to be able to proudly display my "Collect all 100 Gold Skulltulas" badge from Zelda Wii U for the entire world to see. The dream is dead. Yet to see to what degree Miiverse allows you to compare accomplishments in various games for those that choose to support it. I'm hoping it somehow can fill in for an achievement system to some degree.

LeleSocho

Banned
Nintendo adds a fully Wii compatible mode instead of hit and miss software emulation: console getting worse
Nintendo adds video chat that doesn't work inside of games [for now]: console getting worse
Nintendo gives the developers the option to add the achievements, and also implementation via miiverse: console getting worse

even comments at eurogamer aren't these biased; just stop trolling

Wii games need to be booted into Wii mode instead of the simple and intuitive mode of GC games on Wii (that has 100% compatibility) like everyone thought: console is getting worse
You can't boot games from SD unlike everyone thought: console is getting worse
Nintendo doesn't have a system-wide achievements system that a lot people like and are a standard apparently aside Nintendo consoles (even Apple has it and they not even sell console per se): console is getting worse
even with Iwata asks and whatnot it's still not clear how people will add friends so maybe we will still have a sort of friend codes: maybe the console is getting worse
if you have followed the specs thread of the console we have jumped to a "AMD guy said that is a 1TFlop/s machine!" to a "probably around 500GFlop/s or even worse": obviously console getting worse

saying that you are happy of not having the achievement system wide is on the same level of saying that "rumble is a last gen feature" (cit.)

denying that since the presentation of the console this is getting worse is just lying

Tim-E

This is pretty dumb. They'll lose a few multiplat sales because of it.

Developers can still put achievements in their games. If they've made the achievements in a multiplatform game, it's very likely that they'll be in the Wii U version as well since they've already created them.

Ryoku

Personally, I don't care about these "achievements" systems that PS360 have. There's nothing to gain from them for me.

Top Bottom