• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will discussion of certain games be banned on Neogaf from here on out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MormaPope

Banned
What exactly is "fan service"? I always thought it was when a developer threw in a nod to another series, like putting Mega Man in Smash Bros. In this thread it seems like it is code for "creepy shit"

A by the books definition would be a female character that is otherwise depicted normally, gets depicted in a sexual manner. Could be revealing clothing, could be the lack of clothing, could be the character posing, could be a camera angle or shot focusing on the characters ass, breasts, thighs, panties.

Gestahl

I read Fire Emblem a few times in this thread. What the hell did I miss? I have not played Awakening so I'm guessing the waifus crap went too far?

Do you know what Tharja's butt smells like

Most of the supports revolve around marriage and most of the characters, particularly the women, are now one dimensional paper thin anime archetypes. So now a lot of the fanbase has gone to complete shit. I used to enjoy FE threads on /v/ but they're nearly unreadable now. Could be a lot worse as this thread demonstrates

Also they Disgaea'd the shit out of it so it barely feels like an FE game anymore

Yeah, while I try not to judge anyone for their yearnings or lifestyle, I do feel uncomfortable when people are so shameless lusting for people who can see what they're saying and be affected by it

It kind of tainted Treehouse Live and made me wonder if some of the people who wanted it to continue did so for less-than-game-related reasons
It followed in SGDQ, where people would comment on a female runner's legs or talk about the cute-voiced donation reader and try and find her twitter.

Maybe I'm just getting older and don't remember that I was such a slave to physical observations of people that I had to tell the world every time I found someone attractive in my early 20s, but jesus is it tough to read some threads sometimes.

Depends. Some of the character designs are... questionable. Just wondering what you thought.

Well, I...

comic296_zps6463473c.png

f0kchQg.gif

Neiteio

Oh man, Nowi in Fire Emblem Awakening. I matched her up with Gregor, based purely on their well-written exchanges, but I could never shake how weird it felt marrying her off to him (or any of the adult males), because 1,000 years or not, she clearly looks like a kid dressed as a stripper.

jwhit28

I read Fire Emblem a few times in this thread. What the hell did I miss? I have not played Awakening so I'm guessing the waifus crap went too far?

No not really

That's Nowi. She is an immature acting 1,000 year old dragon that you can take as a wife and have a kid with. It's a little uncomfortable but nothing worth not playing the game for. Same with EO's character portraits. Yet the same sort of headache inducing "how could you play this?" stuff got into threads. It's good to know that mods will defend fans of games when the games warrant it though, instead of deleting threads and throwing the argument and source that caused it out of the forum entirely.

GAF is probably better off as a community when steering away from posting media and gushing about games where you smack little girls in the sexual bits. A line has to be drawn somewhere or we're just a fancier 4chan.

This is kind of related, kind of not, but can we also talk about the super creepy treehouse things? Or, like, any creepy reaction to real people that clearly know this place exists?

It's fucking weird. The Treehouse streams were full of "She's my waifu" or "She looks like a 14 year old girl" or "Let's go look for this guy's twitter so we can find shirtless pictures of him oh god so hot."

When did this become a high school? This sort of thing makes me embarrassed to be reading it, keep your fucking hormones in check.

Yeah, I was, um, more than a little disturbed by the fucking Treehouse creepers from E3. We get a good thing and people are already trying to fuck it up.

If I were one of the treehouse team, after seeing some of the stuff in that thread, I wouldn't volunteer to be on next year's stream. :(

213372bu

Banned
Again, only in certain states.

Would you say that representing pedophilia as a satisfying gameplay element isn't something that should be illegal?

Just a question.

Another question.

if these girls weren't animated, and we saw actual images of real 6 year olds exactly like that... being vilely punished in sexual ways as you touch them and being told you did it "perfect" or "really good"...

Would you still find the gameplay in the right?

ITT: I learned there are some sick-ass people in the world.

Settin

STOP COMPROMISING THIS IMPORTANT ARTISTIC VISION!!

Crying "logical fallacy" is irrelevant. Nobody doesn't know that ad hominem isn't a sound formal logical method. You got insulted and then said "I was insulted!". We all know, we were all there, we all saw it. But we aren't Plato and we're not writing tracts of ironclad Truth here. This isn't a court of law. "This guy has written some bad things" is a pretty useful heuristic for deciding if future things aren't worth reading.
Not sure if serious. Random insults being slung around blindly is not a legitimate response to my points, thus, I cry "logical fallacy".

Yeah I was about to ask why people were giving FE of all things shit before I remembered Nowi.

Marriage system doesn't help.

Brakke

Banned
Oh man, Nowi in Fire Emblem Awakening. I matched her up with Gregor, based purely on their well-written exchanges, but I could never shake how weird it felt marrying her off to him (or any of the adult males), because 1,000 years or not, she clearly looks like a kid dressed as a stripper.

Yeah, Nowi X Donnel OTP.

Only one I could handle.

Vire

Not sure if serious. Random insults being slung around blindly is not a legitimate response to my points, thus, I cry "logical fallacy".

So going by your logic (disagree with what you say, but will defend your right to say it), you are completely okay with NeoGAF having threads filled with hate speech directed towards certain groups?

Where exactly do you draw the line?

Crying "logical fallacy" is irrelevant. Nobody doesn't know that ad hominem isn't a sound formal logical method. You got insulted and then said "I was insulted!". We all know, we were all there, we all saw it. But we aren't Plato and we're not writing tracts of ironclad Truth here. This isn't a court of law. "This guy has written some bad things" is a pretty useful heuristic for deciding if future things aren't worth reading.

While I agree with the general sentiment you guys have had on the topic, it seems kind of limp-wristed to just dismiss logical fallacy arguments by saying, "yeah well we're just fuckin around here yennow." It's probably not best form to just outright generically insult other people.

It's a hard line in threads like these where some posters are dropping snark buckets while others are actually debating, granted.

AniHawk

Oh man, that's not even subtle

It's also "tear-resistant." That could be quite innocuous under normal circumstances, but paired with water-proof, one wonders how they think the fans will handle these posters...

they do tear-resistant posters for a lot of their stuff though. they had one for atelier totori and a bunch for some of their recent anime and games. like, even natural doctrine got a tear-resistant poster, and the image is a landscape.

edit: i agree about the time and eternity stuff though.

Neiteio

Yeah I was about to ask why people were giving FE of all things shit before I remembered Nowi.

Marriage system doesn't help.
I thought people were talking about the summer bikini DLC when they first mentioned FEA, but then they pointed out Nowi and I was like, "Oh"

Yuuichi

Yeah, I was, um, more than a little disturbed by the fucking Treehouse creepers from E3. We get a good thing and people are already trying to fuck it up.

If I were one of the treehouse team, after seeing some of the stuff in that thread, I wouldn't volunteer to be on next year's stream. :(

I'm not sure how I didn't hear about this, I'm not really sure what to say about it. Disabling chat sounds like a nice option for them, to be honest. It's a shame that people feel the need to actively publicize their thoughts like that in an area where it's hard to moderate your individual interactions. On social media like twitter, fine. I can choose who I follow and who follows me, but at least show some respect on a public soapbox.

The best part of when you first meet those two (before you find out that Nowi is 1000 years old) is that the dialogue even implies that that Gregor is some pedophilic creeper. I was like "wow, they actually went there."

Marrying her off to Ricken is the least-creepiest choice. I couldn't choose anyone else but him.

It can certainly mean that, but it's also often used to describe light (usually), often sexual, pandering, a common trait in otaku-centric media. But I agree with Shouta here having read his response, this game is far beyond that, and fan service really isn't the right terminology any longer.

Thank you both for the helpful answers. :)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
GAF is probably better off as a community when steering away from posting media and gushing about games where you smack little girls in the sexual bits. A line has to be drawn somewhere or we're just a fancier 4chan.

At least on 4chan people have enough shame to talk about these type of games behind anonymous identities.

Truth be told I'd love if 4chan would crack down on all that shit too. I really like the funnier light-hearted threads they have over there for like Smash and Mario Lore, but always someone has to introduce some creepy shit and ruin the fun.

213372bu

Banned
So going by your logic (disagree with what you say, but will defend your right to say it), you are completely okay with NeoGAF having threads filled with hate speech directed towards certain groups?

Trivializing people who like sexually touching animated pedophilic drawings as they get feedback by audible moaning and visual feed back such as "great" and more... visuals is fair game.

Sickening.

Honestly though, if this wasn't animated how would you feel?

Neiteio

they do tear-resistant posters for a lot of their stuff though. they had one for atelier totori and a bunch for some of their recent anime and games. like, even natural doctrine got a tear-resistant poster, and the image is a landscape.

edit: i agree about the time and eternity stuff though.
Ah, OK.

To be honest I like the idea of a tear-proof poster. And I like the idea of a waterproof poster as well, but not for the reasons I think they did it here, lol.

Aces&Eights

I am not seeing the "free speech" issue, here. NeoGaf is a closed community that has a man in charge who can say, do, add, delete, ban, unban anything he wants. This is not a democracy. He makes the rules. He can change them. If the powers that be decide a certain topic cannot be discussed then that topic is not going to be discussed. The fact that every mod on the planet has come here to try and at least explain what they are doing goes well above any anything that should be required of them and certainly there is no legal responsibility for them to explain their actions.

Those that fear a ban on the discussion of this game might lead to Bioware bans, and Cliffy B bans, you are correct. So what. If you feel this is not a place that is giving you the freedom you feel you deserve, or that your voice is being taken away by the man then go find another forum. The people that remain understand there are just some things that are not going to be tolerated whether you feel it is justified or not. Games that petict little looking girls being sexualized with spanking and/or whipping is just one of those things that a lot of the adult population has a problem with. Period. We are not standing on the street corner arguing over what one can do in the privacy of their own home we are on NeoGaf. A gaming forum. That is run by a guy who doesn't have to explain shit to you.

If I remember correctly Nowi's daughter even calls out her father for potential creepiness. At least they had some self-awareeness, lol.

What was worse for me is that with my pairings (Olivia x Chrom and Male Avatar x Lucina) I realized that I could have had Morgan marry her uncle. Unless they had some method of blocking that (I didn't let it get that far).

JoJoSono

Banned
So when is the DOA game threads going to be closed too?

At least this means Bioware threads will be locked for the very same reason. Their games are no better than those pervy and badly written Japanese games.

Whats with all the extremes and false equivalences from you? Your trying to make this an extreme by presenting this as an argument against sex in general. It's not. DoA is just sexual fanservice that is arguably sleezy. Yet, it sure dosen't present sequences where 12 year old Ayane is rubbing her clit and you're rubbing a cursor over her to punish her as she makes moaning noises.

Bioware's sex scenes go about as far as some backside.

None of this is as extreme as something like Criminal Girls. This is'nt an argument against sex either. You're trying to present these as all the same thing to make it seem like that. That's very disingenuous. Harmless fanservice and tame sex scenes between adults is hardly the same as sexual depections of minors.

Would you say that representing pedophilia as a satisfying gameplay element isn't something that should be illegal?

Just a question.

Another question.

if these girls weren't animated, and we saw actual images of real 6 year olds exactly like that... being vilely punished in sexual ways as you touch them and being told you did it "perfect" or "really good"...

One is a drawing and the another is a photo of an actual 6 year old being abused for the sake of sick men.

Or we are going to say that is the same thing a la Spec Ops and say: How many people killed today?

El Sloth

Banned
lol nice. This is the most convincing For argument yet.

Lightweights. I married her off to Kellam because fuck your delicate sensibilities.
He wrecked that. I doubt she was even able to walk after the honeymoon.

Seik

Banned
*Searching for a random google pic.*

Here's...uhmm...Naruwaga!

AishiteruzeBaby17.jpg

She looks young, doesn't she? Fear not, she's from an ancient race of alien and she actually have 700 years old at this point.

Ironically, it's exactly the point in this race's lifetime where they reach their reproductive phase. So she's waiting for you to rub tons of shit on her and spank her with it as well.

It's okay guys, she's 700.

Settin

Um, read my posts. I've said I'm OK with the clearly defined rules of GAF. My post about "defend your right to say it" was in response to a question why I'm so defensive about this.

Just a question.

Another question.

ITT: I learned there are some sick-ass people in the world.

We'd all be deranged psycho's if our media suddenly became real. Would anyone be cool with it if actual people were being tortured in the SAW movies? Would it still be 'thrilling'?

This is one of the worst possible arguments, and we should all know it, with how Call of Duty (military war training program) is linked to every god damned shooting/suicide/hurt feeling/violence statistic by both liberals and conservatives

I don't have a horse in this race, but 'WHAT IF IT WAS REALZ' is the laziest shit

Shouta

I did read the other mods posts.
For example on page 7:

There are many games that prominently feature underage girl fan-service, again, for example Senran Kagura Versus. This is why I am asking. Punishment isn't mentioned anywhere there. I posted also on page 7 asking if it was just the punishment itself that is the problem but nobody replied to me.

Sexualization and Objectification should be the words you should be keying. Punishment isn't the one you should focus on.

I've reviewed the thread and have yet to see why anyone would support this game.

It is that the game is of Japanese origins and gaijins just don't understand Japanese culture?

Is it that the game is virtual and thus has no bearing on real life?

What is a valid reason for not considering this beyond niche and into the territory of filth?

benjipwns

Banned

AishiteruzeBaby17.jpg

She looks young, doesn't she? Fear not, she's from an ancient race of alien and she actually have 700 years old at this point.

Ironically, it's exactly the point in this race's lifetime where they reach their reproductive phase. So she's waiting for you to rub tons of shit on her and spank her with it as well.

Go on...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

AishiteruzeBaby17.jpg

That's from Aishiterze Baby you sicko! At least post from something thematically appropriate and not a sweet show.

A by the books definition would be a female character that is otherwise depicted normally, gets depicted in a sexual manner. Could be revealing clothing, could be the lack of clothing, could be the character posing, could be a camera angle or shot focusing on the characters ass, breasts, thighs, panties.

I'd never heard this prior to this thread, but I guess I've been misunderstanding it. I've definitely used it incorrectly in that case.

To the OT, I'm down with this type of moderation. NeoGAF, and its moderation policies do an excellent job of helping to cultivate a sense of community, but that doesn't mean every and all points of view need to be championed. I understand that this kind of thing can be a slippery slope, but setting certain standards of what content is and isn't ok, especially when we're talking about the extremes, is part of most systems of free speech. This is little different.

Nocturno999

I'm googling some pics and I don't understand how girls with deformed heads and Gianna Michaels bodies can incite to pedophilia.

Neiteio

AishiteruzeBaby17.jpg

Did you make this up? I'm not even joking, it sounds like a plausible premise for one of these games

docbon

AishiteruzeBaby17.jpg

hjUieyE.gif

let's not do this.

At least on 4chan people have enough shame to talk about these type of games behind anonymous identities.

Truth be told I'd love if 4chan would crack down on all that shit too. I really like the funnier light-hearted threads they have over there for like Smash and Mario Lore, but always someone has to introduce some creepy shit and ruin the fun.

4chan mods couldn't crack down on anything if they tried. The problem with 4chan is that there are so many users and so few mods willing to stick with the job after trying to deal with it. In fact most people don't realize that it's against the rules to say racist things on any board besides /b/ (which is a containment board) People there just do it anyway because they know mods can't keep up.

MormaPope

Banned
Oh wow, that must have made the campfire scene super weird

I got the Merchant once

It was, like, dude my character is gay, I don't like you like that, I just like buying things

The final battle and the seriousness behind it would be sorta ruined with a kid beloved as well. Something that's pretty neat is if your beloved is a merchant and they die, that could affect your post game.

AishiteruzeBaby17.jpg

YZD8l1W.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom