• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Koji Igarashi's Castlevania successor be revealed this Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

My hope is that they're going to concentrate on one platform at first and attempt to maximize the budget they end up with. Make the game for PC/Steam, and make it as beautiful (2D or super stylized 2.5D) as you can. Worry about porting it to consoles and/or handhelds afterward. Of course this is unlikely. But a boy can dream.

If Inticreates really is involved, and the game does end up in 2D then we have little to worry about with the style and visual fidelity.

Not much longer until we know a little more for sure, though.

wrowa

I need a source, because *ANY* game, especially one with a retail release, having a 1 million budget is absolutely insane. Especially considering it took 2+ years from announce to release, which is a lot of time and 2+ years of salaries.

Google is your friend. :p

http://gematsu.com/2013/07/dragons-crown-vanillawares-most-expensive-project

He didn't say that it cost 1 million dollar to produce though, but that it was Vanillaware's first project that cost more than 1 million to produce. How much more is anyone's guess. However, that means that games like Odin Sphere and Muramasa cost even less in production.

Confession time: I never beat OOE, I have a save file right outside the last boss fight. Died like 5 times, quit, never tried it again ;_; My only castlevania shame. I need to replay them all again. Just beat circle of the moon on Wii U VC, started HoD, moving onto aria next.
Don't be ashamed, it took me forever to beat OoE. Fucking Blackmore asshole fuck
why all the discusion
the art will be the same as we see in the page. right?
Some of Igacula's lines imply it'll be a 2.5D game

Foffy

Banned
why all the discusion
the art will be the same as we see in the page. right?

We're discussing because today's the day, and it's just hours away!

No idea if it will be like the art posted on last page. We don't know who the artist is, or if the game will be 2D with 3D backgrounds or a full 2.5D game, but it would appear the latter is likely.

EDIT: Axiom Verge guys confirm they'll be at the event, too. This is really going to be a day to celebrate the Metroidvania genre, isn't it?

I could live with 2.5D if the art is on the level of Trine 2.

:3

Trine_2_-_Deadly_Dustland_Three_Heroes.jpg

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I managed to defeat most of the bosses in OoE without getting hit, except for Eligor. My left? trigger was damaged though, so I couldn't backdash. Need to get back to that someday.

Firemind

My hope is that they're going to concentrate on one platform at first and attempt to maximize the budget they end up with. Make the game for PC/Steam, and make it as beautiful (2D or super stylized 2.5D) as you can. Worry about porting it to consoles and/or handhelds afterward. Of course this is unlikely. But a boy can dream.

If Inticreates really is involved, and the game does end up in 2D then we have little to worry about with the style and visual fidelity.

Not much longer until we know a little more for sure, though.
But I don't want to play Castlevania on a PC.

Also, Trine is gorgeous but it sucked to play.

Kirie

I've had some Empty Tome remixes on loop for the past couple days now. So goooooooooood
You have great taste! It's the best ; ;

Confession time: I never beat OOE, I have a save file right outside the last boss fight. Died like 5 times, quit, never tried it again ;_; My only castlevania shame. I need to replay them all again. Just beat circle of the moon on Wii U VC, started HoD, moving onto aria next.

Haha, funny you say that because I never actually beat Circle of the Moon. I bought it way back in the day, but on the GBA it was so dark I could barely see anything (and I had that stupid light attachment that didn't help much) so I gave up not too far into it. I really should pick it up on the Wii U after I finish my SotN replay.

EDIT: Axiom Verge guys confirm they'll be at the event, too. This is really going to be a day to celebrate the Metroidvania genre, isn't it?
Party like it's 1999
Haha, funny you say that because I never actually beat Circle of the Moon. I bought it way back in the day, but on the GBA it was so dark I could barely see anything (and I had that stupid light attachment that didn't help much) so I gave up not too far into it. I really should pick it up on the Wii U after I finish my SotN replay.
Circle is amazing, you should definitely finish it

Fuck Adramelech and everything it stands for tho

georly

It's pretty short and easy. The only tough part is the colosseum, and only a couple of rooms.

OnPoint

Also, Trine is gorgeous but it sucked to play.

If it meant more Castlevania, I would play it on the Dreamcast VMU. I'd prefer it on a console myself, but i'd rather they take it one step at a time.

I agree about Trine though. Never been a big fan of how those played.

Honestly my benchmark is Slain, it's nailing the Gothic look and varied enemy designs.

If this looks as good or better than that, I'll be happy.
I hope better. The problem I have with a lot of modern pixel indie games is they stress the fact they are using pixels by making everything pixel-y, if that makes sense. There's no illusion to blending or soft surfaces, it's all square on square with more squares on square. Even the raindrops in the one gif are basically long rectangles that fall and splash into scattered little squares. I think the sci-fi cyberpunk pixel game someone posted had superior rain effects(blurred and don't look overly pixelated). If anything, I think games like Ghost Song(shoutout to Jobbs) is more akin to what an evolved form of SNES sprite-game SHOULD look like and Ori and the Blind Forest is more akin to what an evolved form of PS1 sprite-game SHOULD look like. Something like or mixing those two styles is what I would love to see with a CV-ish horror adventure/metroidvania.

To me, personally, for a game like THIS, SotN would suffice. It had perfect amount of detail, but pixelated and smooth(or blends that gave the impression of smooth surfaces), as well a fluid as hell animation. Might be asking too much, but that's how I feel. Though the rumor of 2.5D might mean this will look TOTALLY different from either of these.

Dremark

Banned

Yeah it's my least favored platform for it aside from mobile, but it's almost definitely going to be the base platform, at least to begin with as it's the cheapest to develop for.

Yeah I even had a light for my GBA and I couldn't play it on it, way too dark. Was disappointing as that was a large part of the reason I bought a GBA to begin with.

I played it later though, the GBA player for the GameCube was awesome. The game itself was great too.

RoadDogg

Once you learn his patterns he's ridiculously easy, but yeah, the first time you fight him you'll almost certainly die.

Or you just spam the rooster card transformation and kill him without fighting. I always found the game to be fairly hard as even normal enemies take awhile to kill and you seem to level up slowly. When you know more about the card system though and what is weak against what, it gets much easier. Going in blind it is probably one of the hardest ones to me.

It is pretty broken though so you can glitch into any card combo you want without playing much.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Circle of the Moon was pretty good, but after SotN it felt like a let down. Graphics were not as smooth, the music was good, but mostly (if not all) reused tunes from other games, and the controls weren't as fluid. I would be ok with that level of quality for this though, but I'm hoping for better.

Dremark

Banned
Once you learn his patterns he's ridiculously easy, but yeah, the first time you fight him you'll almost certainly die.

I might have just been massively under leveled but he did a ton of damage too. Iirc he'd knock me down to a silver of life with a single hit.

He's not difficult at all aside from that though, even in the shape I was in I was able to beat him after a couple of tries.

Or you just spam the rooster card transformation and kill him without fighting. I always found the game to be fairly hard as even normal enemies take awhile to kill and you seem to level up slowly. When you know more about the card system though and what is weak against what, it gets much easier. Going in blind it is probably one of the hardest ones to me.

It is pretty broken though so you can glitch into any card combo you want without playing much.
I thought CotM to be pretty hard as well, but it's mostly due to having sparser save points and no way to stock up on health items without grinding.

You can power level super easy once you get to those fire armors.
Circle of the Moon was pretty good, but after SotN it felt like a let down. Graphics were not as smooth, the music was good, but mostly (if not all) reused tunes from other games, and the controls weren't as fluid. I would be ok with that level of quality for this though, but I'm hoping for better.
Reused tunes? I always thought it had a completely original soundtrack.

georly

They don't have the same hardware limitations and it's not trying to meet new hardware launch, so I think they'll be fine :)

OnPoint

I have no shame in admitting that to beat that Dracula fight, I had to use the card glitch. The game is not liberal with how often it drops cards and grinding for them was hell. Aside from the brightness issues, the rate of card drops is the one thing I'd fix about that game.

Kirie

That's good info to know guys, thanks! I'll definitely make that the next one I play :D Admittedly I'm a huge CV fan but I'm actually not very good at the games, so it'll probably take me awhile to get through it lol

Yeah I even had a light for my GBA and I couldn't play it on it, way too dark. Was disappointing as that was a large part of the reason I bought a GBA to begin with.

I played it later though, the GBA player for the GameCube was awesome. The game itself was great too.
Same here, and I remember being so upset about it lol. My dad went out and got the light attachment for me since I was so salty about it but it did nothing to really help. By the time I got the SP I think I lost it or sold it off or something, but never did end up rebuying it. So happy it's on the Wii U VC though so I don't have to spend the money to track down the cartridge.

Foffy

Banned
I might be misremembering and there are some original tunes in there, but it's at least partially reused tunes from older games, like the NES vanias and Bloodlines.

This is true. Like most Castlevania games, there are old tracks that return and get remixed.

Circle of the Moon also has the best Dracula theme ever. Ever. Dance of Illusions be damned.

I hope better. The problem I have with a lot of modern pixel indie games is they stress the fact they are using pixels by making everything pixel-y, if that makes sense. There's no illusion to blending or soft surfaces, it's all square on square with more squares on square. Even the raindrops in the one gif are basically long rectangles that fall and splash into scattered little squares. I think the sci-fi cyberpunk pixel game someone posted had superior rain effects(blurred and don't look overly pixelated). If anything, I think games like Ghost Song(shoutout to Jobbs) is more akin to what an evolved form of SNES sprite-game SHOULD look like and Ori and the Blind Forest is more akin to what an evolved form of PS1 sprite-game SHOULD look like. Something like or mixing those two styles is what I would love to see with a CV-ish horror adventure/metroidvania.

To me, personally, for a game like THIS, SotN would suffice. It had perfect amount of detail, but pixelated and smooth(or blends that gave the impression of smooth surfaces), as well a fluid as hell animation. Might be asking too much, but that's how I feel. Though the rumor of 2.5D might mean this will look TOTALLY different from either of these.
Oh Slain certainly isnt my favorite. I like it for the gothic atmosphere, but stuff like The Last Night and others are more realistic and smoother

Castef

Banned
I don´t think there will be a lot of reused assets in this game specially being out of Konami.

I'd be totally OK with a bit of palette swap per the enemies.

Like, one enemy, 4-5 different color sets, each with different behaviour/abilities.

Firemind

This is true. Like most Castlevania games, there are old tracks that return and get remixed.

Circle of the Moon also has the best Dracula theme ever. Ever. Dance of Illusions be damned.
Personally, I think SotN's soundtrack is a bit overrated. Sometimes I like to believe people think of it fondly because of the damn I am the Wind song.

Soo, Ps4 and vita confirmed as part of the platforms ? maybe PC too ? I mean this and the other hints such as Vita's No 1 Fanboy Colin Moriarty being there naggin Iga and Yoshida retweeting

Foffy

Banned
Soo, Ps4 and vita confirmed as part of the platforms ? maybe PC too ? I mean this and the other hints such as Vita's Nro 1 Fanboy Colin Moriarty being there naggin Iga and Yoshida retweeting

I surely imagine those will be targeted platforms, but I think the Axiom Verge guys are going to be there to show off their game during the event, as I believe it's also a Metroidvania. They might use the genre itself to promote Igarashi's new game, for it was his work with Symphony of the Night that coined the genre name. Perhaps games in that umbrella will be embraced during the stream.

Remember, this is an eight hour stream. There has to be a lot of shit in store. This is not the length of an E3 conference.

the event will be a celebration of metroidvania, with koji igarashi announcing his new game, a tons of indies coming with their metroidvanias. But at the end of the event koji says that something is missing.... when suddenly reggie fils-aime shows up announcing a new 3d metroid made by retro studios and another 2d following the events of fusion made by sakamoto, with him saying that this will be the ultimate metroid following the footsteps of super.

georly

Soo, Ps4 and vita confirmed as part of the platforms ? maybe PC too ? I mean this and the other hints such as Vita's No 1 Fanboy Colin Moriarty being there naggin Iga and Yoshida retweeting

I'd love 3DS, too, so long as it doesn't compromise the other versions. I prefer to play igavanias in bed on my handheld.

wrowa

I surely imagine those will be targeted platforms, but I think the Axiom Verge guys are going to be there to show off their game during the event, as I believe it's also a Metroidvania. They might use the genre itself to promote Igarashi's new game, for it was his work with Symphony of the Night that coined the genre name. Perhaps games in that umbrella will be embraced during the stream.

Axiom Verge was actually made by just a single person. Dan Adelman just managed the marketing during the final months of development.

I'm just saying this, because Axiom Verge as a one-man-achievement is absolutely incredible.

the event will be a celebration of metroidvania, with koji igarashi announcing his new game, a tons of indies coming with their metroidvanias. But at the end of the event koji says that something is missing.... when suddenly reggie fils-aime shows up announcing a new 3d metroid made by retro studios and another 2d following the events of fusion made by sakamoto, with him saying that this will be the ultimate metroid following the footsteps of super.

No , Reggie announces a new partnership with Konami with a crossover, Metroid x Castlevania, Metroidvania™ . He then proceeds to C&D everyone on the stream for using their trademark.

georly

Axiom Verge was actually made by just a single person. Dan Adelman just managed the marketing during the final months of development.

I'm just saying this, because Axiom Verge as a one-man-achievement is absolutely incredible.

Axiom verge is my inspiration in life. I want to do just that. I want to make a game, but I really don't want to have to have other people's livelihood and well-being rely on me and the game. I also can't afford to pay others. I can't wait to play it this weekend.

Portugeezer

It is one of those games I always imagined making if I could code, and damn, Tom Happ felt the same and could actually accomplish this.

Personally, I think SotN's soundtrack is a bit overrated. Sometimes I like to believe people think of it fondly because of the damn I am the Wind song.
Your words are as empty as your soul

Seriously tho, it might not be for everyone but I would never call it overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom