• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Koji Igarashi's Castlevania successor be revealed this Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the 3DS is part of the equation then there's no way a fully polygonal game is gonna meet peoples' expectations--they can either build it for the 3DS and up-res it for every other platform, which is underwhelming to say the least, or they can build it to HD spec and crank out a terrible compromised 3DS version which will irritate all the IGA fans who want/expect the game for 3DS.

Not true. Look at Mighty n°9. Handheld versions are being worked on a different engine.

georly

They already have experience in making Metroidvanias from Megaman Zero/ZX, they will be fine specially with Iga around

I'm confident they can. I'll just be disappointed if it's similar to the other two recent endeavors (either overburdened with mechanics/story it doesn't need or looking like a lifeless 3d game made in unity).

That said, i'm confident it'll be fine.

EVH

Not true. Look at Mighty n°9. Handheld versions are being worked on a different engine.

I really doubt that there is a 3DS version planned and if it is there, will be for the latest milestones. Honestly I think it is not even worthy and the logical platforms are PC and then PS4 and PSVita.

Aside of that, they could always go the DKR3D way and use renders. Hell I think that even the original DKCR for Wii used renders for the characters as revealed when playing it in the Dolphin emulator.

poncle

Yuta Romeo does some great cover songs:

Sinking Old Sanctuary + Baljhet Mountains

Iron Blue Intention

Way too many to list, he probably covered any single Castlevania song in his medleys.

I think most of it is catchy and I certainly don't think that Castlevania shouldn't have its atmospheric and gothic inspired music. Castlevania should also be beautiful and elegant.

Well said, it makes it more of a niche game, but that's why we like it in the first place.

georly

I really doubt that there is a 3DS version planned and if it is there, will be for the latest milestones. Honestly I think it is not even worthy and the logical platforms are PC and then PS4 and PSVita.

Aside of that, they could always go the DKR3D way and use renders. Hell I think that even the original DKCR for Wii used renders for the characters as revealed when playing it in the Dolphin emulator.

I'd love it to be on Wii U, so it can sit alongside my GBA igavanias.

Also, wait what... DKCR used renders? Just like the old SNES ones!? What?

@MUWANdo

Banned
I do 95% of my gaming on 3DS, but this is the sad truth.

Again, if they go with pixel art made to the 3DS' spec and scale it up for the other platforms, everyone wins!

There's no way that game is gonna survive the transition to 3DS without some significant compromises, I'm sure.

Come to think of it, we haven't actually seen either handheld port yet, have we?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
They'll do whatever iga pays them to do.

MN9 looking like ass is on inafune

The art style on the characters in MN9 seems like someone put together a quick WIP modeled example to show to Inafune and he said "Yeah sure that looks great lets do the next character now" and they just went with it.

OnPoint

Don't know why, but I haven't been able to get into gunvolt. Bought it on faith alone, and it's not clicking for me. Gameplay is not that great, and all the stuff in-between stages is really lame (horrible dialogue/story, unintuitive upgrade mechanics). I just can't get into it.

Here's hoping that their igavania is good, though. A simple 30 second gameplay video will be enough to tell me if it's good.

A MN9-style concept art image... will make many people wary.

I felt the same way about Gunvolt. I don't think it will have any bearing on their work with IGA though.

RoadDogg

Funny and ... odd thing i noticed about castlevania the other day.

Do you guys remember this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idwTZeGEkO8

Yes? alright lets move on.

Now play this following video, its a BARBIE movie my daughter watches every stinking day. Now GO TO THE 1:21:45sec part in the movie.
thats 1 hour 21 min and 45 secs, when the elefant starts running!!!
WHAT the hell is the castlevania song doing in a Barbie movie?!!?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3HJlVukP5c

My daughter loves those movies, there is also a different movie that has the Final Fantasy main theme. Seems like someone in the music department is probably a gamer lol.

Is it possible that the first 40 seconds of the CV clip are a royalty free score? The game music doesn't really start until after that and I don't hear it in the movie.

Maedhros

There's a really solid reason for that, and I don't think that there's only one style of "catchy." If it had the "catchy" that most people refer to it wouldn't have meshed with the pacing of the game and would have felt very out of place.

But of course. I'm just saying it's not memorable/catchy like the rest of the series, not that it was wrong or something.

Will anybody be live-tweeting or live-posting the stream today? I'm going to be working all night and won't be able to tune in, but will have constant access to my phone to check for updates. Anybody have any plans?

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
11am PST, right? So 2pm EST?

It's in three hours, if that makes it any clearer.

t1431367200z1.png

georly

Related?

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/597776441632108545

about to get on a plane, but be sure to check out http://usgamer.net at 10am PT for a big surprise! https://youtu.be/50iBA0Y8PJ8

Yeah, it's the earthbound jingle, but it's also the mystery/spooky jingle, so it doesn't necessarily mean it's related to earthbound. Wonder if they got an exclusive scoop on it (to reveal 1 hour before the livestream starts), considering Jeremy Parish works there and is the owner of metroidvania.com

If i were iga, i'd give him the exclusive scoop for sure.

wrowa

Yeah, it's the earthbound jingle, but it's also the mystery/spooky jingle, so it doesn't necessarily mean it's related to earthbound. Wonder if they got an exclusive scoop on it (to reveal 1 hour before the livestream starts), considering Jeremy Parish works there and is the owner of metroidvania.com

If i were iga, i'd give him the exclusive scoop for sure.

IIRC Parish is the one who coined the Metroidvania term to begin with. I hope it'll be just a short clip of IGA complaining that SotN was inspired by Zelda and not Metroid, damn it. ;)

Sword Familiar

IIRC Parish is the one who coined the Metroidvania term to begin with. I hope it'll be just a short clip of IGA complaining that SotN was inspired by Zelda and not Metroid, damn it. ;)

Let's call them Zeldavanias then. Metroidvania is too general now anyway. :p

Dremark

Banned
http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/C...ia:_Harmony_of_Dissonance_Original_Soundtrack

Apparently, you're right.

They never sounded like the originals though.

Actually I was wrong on the Circle of the Moon thing

Yeah, basically the entire soundtrack except Nathan's theme is remixes lol

What a horrible morning to eat crow
EDIT - Beaten

There are guitars in Tragic Prince

It can all be remixes and still be a good soundtrack. Actually I'd argue that it is.

Kind of surprised fans wouldn't realize it's mostly remixes though, although I'll admit myself I didn't realize it was just one original track.

JDSN

Banned
So, are you guys expecting gameplay? Target concept art? Or its just gonna be some Oscar bait story of adversity in the face of pure evil like the Inafune KS?

It can all be remixes and still be a good soundtrack. Actually I'd argue that it is.

Kind of surprised fans wouldn't realize it's mostly remixes though, although I'll admit myself I didn't realize it was just one original track.
The GBA makes them sound pretty unique, I guess

jett

D-Member
So, are you guys expecting gameplay? Target concept art? Or its just gonna be some Oscar bait story in the face of pure evil like the Inafune KS?

I expect several speedruns of igavanias, and not much else to be honest. Maybe some concept art.

So, are you guys expecting gameplay? Target concept art? Or its just gonna be some Oscar bait story in the face of pure evil like the Inafune KS?
I think we can expect some gameplay considering how they are going about revealing this

Obligatory inafuneisabusinessman.jpg

OnPoint

Listening to the SotN OST in light of these "overrated" comments and man, no. Just no.

This soundtrack is fantastic. You might not like it as much as other soundtracks, but it deserves the praise it gets. It's huge and expansive in ways other Castlevania soundtracks aren't. The royal-gothic sound of it fits the adventure perfectly, and the composition is sublime.

This isn't catchy?

Nor this?

Get some guitar work here, or, even here, and it's catchy too!

This is just so sweepingly epic

Bobby Brown, eat your heart out

Nah, it's a fantastic soundtrack. Put that thought to bed.

DKCR is... Well, to put it in simple terms: it partially uses renders but renders those renders in real-time when needed. Am I clear?

This is speculated to be done so the things overlap like there were sprites (since they are) by the way.

while i understand that igarashi and his team wanted to make a zelda game, the map style is the same from super. at least SOME inspiration came from metroid too haha

wrowa

So, are you guys expecting gameplay? Target concept art? Or its just gonna be some Oscar bait story of adversity in the face of pure evil like the Inafune KS?

I really hope that there will be some gameplay. I think it's incredibly important for Kickstarters these days to offer more than just promises. There have been enough letdowns in the past that enough people want to see something before pledging money. Yooka-Laylee did incredibly well in that regard.

TreIII

Don't know why, but I haven't been able to get into gunvolt. Bought it on faith alone, and it's not clicking for me. Gameplay is not that great, and all the stuff in-between stages is really lame (horrible dialogue/story, unintuitive upgrade mechanics). I just can't get into it.

Oh, trust and believe that you wouldn't be the only one.

I bought Gunvolt explicitly due to the fact that Inti was involved, and ended up regretting my purchase. And I wanted to like it so much, because I was excited (re: starving) for a new take on the Rockman formula.

At least the sprites and "2.5D" backdrops looked good, overall, which is what I'd expect from them for this title.

Sword Familiar

I'm half expecting character concept art (with background info), one tune (partial) and maybe a concept video that doesn't show how the game will end up, but indicates it's direction. Either that or mock up pictures instead of video. There will also be talk of *shrug* social aspects. Probably connected to the meta-game we are playing now, with clans and everything. There might even be another meta game leading up to the actual game (I'm basing this on one of the quotes; "winning here is the easy part" or whatever). Then he'll maybe announce a kickstarter.

This is after hours and hours of speedruns and filler.

As you can see, I'm expecting way too much.

jett

D-Member
DKCR is... Well, to put it in simple terms: it partially uses renders but renders those renders in real-time when needed. Am I clear?

This is speculated to be done so the things overlap like there were sprites (since they are) by the way.

No it doesn't, it's all real-time. You're being confused by an old emulator error.

OnPoint

I'm half expecting character concept art (with background info), one tune (partial) and maybe a concept video that doesn't show how the game will end up, but indicates it's direction. Either that or mock up pictures instead of video. There will also be talk of *shrug* social aspects. Probably connected to the meta-game we are playing now, with clans and everything. There might even be another meta game leading up to the actual game (I'm basing this on one of the quotes; "winning here is the easy part" or whatever). Then he'll maybe announce a kickstarter.

This is after hours and hours of speedruns and filler.

As you can see, I'm expecting way too much.

Dangerous. After MN9 and its concept art vs actual in-game graphics, that's really dangerous. My hope is that they've been secretly at work on it for the last half a year, and that what we see is actual in-game footage, if there is footage.

LeleSocho

Banned

DKCR rendered DK an Diddy outside of the stage and what you see on the stage is a sprite version of that render.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom