• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Microsoft exploring bringing back catalog to Nintendo and PlayStation

Bernoulli

M2 slut
XXFKIuI.jpg
NMX1hB8.jpg

This is a disadvantage for their platform though.

Outside the PC. Why one would buy an Xbox if he can play their games on ps or Nintendo ?

Just buy that platform. And get Nintendo games as a plus Xbox games for example on one platform vs just ms games .

Because they still have a very substantial number of Xbox diehards that buy/own Xbox hardware, prefer the Xbox controller, have built a large library in the Xbox ecosystem, enjoy Xbox achievements, etc.. etc.. . Why would they leave those millions and millions of people in the dust and ruin their own brand perception?

Last edited:

GHG

Facts.

Also Jez is click farming for add revenue. He’s increasingly talking about PS because the audience he leans towards isn’t viable.

He actually said that not too long ago, that his shilling is becoming unprofitable due to the shrinking userbase.

Lebron James Reaction GIF

Because they still have a very substantial number of Xbox diehards that buy/own Xbox hardware, prefer the Xbox controller, have built a large library in the Xbox ecosystem, enjoy Xbox achievements, etc.. etc.. . Why would they leave those millions and millions of people in the dust and ruin their own brand perception?

I think you're overstating things here.

Most of their userbase just want to play games and will be happy as long as they continue to get their gamepass fix, as evidenced by the fact that the series S has been outselling the X.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Poor TimDog..I get so much joy seeing these shilling bitches get a reality check. All that whoring and shilling for a brand that has delivered nothing substantial or moved the market has gotten them nothing.
wgqyYIn.jpg

I remember when Sega went full 3rd party/stop making consoles.....I didnt even realize it because I always had more than 1 console platform.

I assume some die hards stopped supporting Sega or had a grudge against Sony and maybe MS. Its really not that serious. All I cared about was playing the next Sonic game, it didnt matter what console.

//DEVIL//

yeah no. That is not how it works.

They didn't do this rumored move yet and they are getting a beating 4x to 1 or 3x to 1 at least.

imagine when Forza / Halo / Gears come to PS5... yeah everyone and his mother will sell the damn thing and just grab a PS5 and enjoy both words.

ZERO common sense since MS in the first place does not care about game sales as they care about the game increasing their game pass numbers.

releasing high-profile games on rival consoles defeats the purpose of owning a Game Pass.

seriously what a joke. whoever came up with this rumor is a retard.

That is not to say MS will not release games on multiplatform. they already are. Whether it is COD, Minecraft, or Hi-Fi rush on a Nintendo Switch since MS doesn't even see the Switch as a competitor to them.

Just don't expect MS big guns to be on PS ecosystem.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

To the people who for some reason keep repeating the lie that MS does not see Nintendo as a competitor:

They confirmed in court in a sworn testimony that they do, and that the Series S exists specifically as a counter to Switch.

Roxkis_ii

To the people who for some reason keep repeating the lie that MS does not see Nintendo as a competitor:

They confirmed in court in a sworn testimony that they do, and that the Series S exists specifically as a counter to Switch.

Yesterday's enemy is today's friend when the accountants get involved.

GHG

imagine when Forza / Halo / Gears come to PS5... yeah everyone and his mother will sell the damn thing and just grab a PS5 and enjoy both words.

So all this crap about how "Xbox is the better place to play" that certain people have been trying to indoctrinate everyone with is false and doesn't hold up to scrutiny?

Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

Banjo64 Banjo64 youve been hard selling the controller, quick resume and the proprietary SSD in recent weeks for nothing my friend, I'm sorry.

LakeOf9

Yesterday's enemy is today's friend when the accountants get involved.
Right, but some Xbox fanboys are trying to cope by saying this doesn't mean anything because Microsoft doesn't see Nintendo as a competitor. That is a lie, they do, they spent months arguing in court that they do, and they even hinged their entire strategy for this generation (the two SKUs) on the fact that they see Nintendo as a competitor.

So this is absolutely significant, Microsoft is bringing more games to a major competitor.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Viva Pinata could do well on Switch. Prob Banjoo Threeeiii to some extant with improvements. Also sea of thieves.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
They are not going to continue hardware if they're barely selling anything.
It's basically a miniPC at this point, nothing that proprietary about it like it used to. They can continue to manufacture Xbox and still have GamePass on other platforms.

Since MS is a software company this makes sense, they are bad at hardware, always have been. A move to focus on software would be good.

Alan Wake

I really do think Microsoft is going to redefine what it means to be a platform holder moving forward.

They aren't abandoning their platform/hardware but they also aren't going to be afraid to publish games on rival platforms.
And while doing so making it less meaningful to own an Xbox. Seems we really are moving in the direction where Xbox is just an app.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I remember when Sega went full 3rd party/stop making consoles.....I didnt even realize it because I always had more than 1 console platform.

I assume some die hards stopped supporting Sega or had a grudge against Sony and maybe MS. Its really not that serious. All I cared about was playing the next Sonic game, it didnt matter what console.
It was a sad when Sega left the console market, but like Xbox (if it happens) they will have nobody to blame but themselves. They made too many bad decisions and never brought in the revenue to justify it.

The biggest difference is that Sega still had a ton of quality exclusives that people wanted to play and a solid library. Xbox not so much. Xbox has their parent companies warchest to keep them alive....as long Natella and the shareholders allow it.

No matter what anyone tells you, they won't allow it forever.,

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
So all this crap about how "Xbox is the better place to play" that certain people have been trying to indoctrinate everyone with is false and doesn't hold up to scrutiny?

Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

Banjo64 Banjo64 youve been hard selling the controller, quick resume and the proprietary SSD in recent weeks for nothing my friend, I'm sorry.
PlayStation’s 3D over-the-shoulder, walking simulator, cinematic template (where all of their games are the same) does nothing for me.

Xbox Game Studios have the most diverse array of games covering every genre, and actually care about gameplay. Plus, the misconception is that they don’t produce quality, but they actually won the Publisher of the Year Award 2021.

You won’t get high quality titles like Flight Sim and Pentiment from Sony.

GHG GHG prepare for the storm, because once people realise they can play a title like Halo Infinite (NeoGAF’s GOTY) on PlayStation no one is going to be buying Cuck of War or The Last Bum Plug anymore.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
PC gamers were the first to accept digital only, and they will be the first to accept streaming only. The handful of people who care about graphics are just that, a handful. The rest of the PC crowd will happily play their Roblox, MMO's, CounterStrike and Fortnite as a stream.

You think? We already have a streaming subscription service available.

Consoles however skew towards younger audiences who will happily go along with whatever the platform holder decides.

Roxkis_ii

PlayStation’s 3D over-the-shoulder, walking simulator, cinematic template (where all of their games are the same) does nothing for me.

Xbox Game Studios have the most diverse array of games covering every genre, and actually care about gameplay. Plus, the misconception is that they don’t produce quality, but they actually won the Publisher of the Year Award 2021.

You won’t get high quality titles like Flight Sim and Pentiment from Sony.

GHG GHG prepare for the storm, because once people realise they can play a title like Halo Infinite (NeoGAF’s GOTY) on PlayStation no one is going to be buying Cuck of War or The Last Bum Plug anymore.
Sony getting that 30% cut like:
yes-no.gif

TrebleShot

Sony and nintendo become the outliers in the industry with games locked to specific hardware, honestly that shit belongs in the early 2000s, guarantee Sony will look at doing something similar (PC) with a launcher.

There is still way too much stock left to make an announcement anytime soon.

With the XBS going largely back to original msrp price, it could be 6 months to a year before current stock actually sells out. I also think if their true goal was to clean house, the price would have remained the same as during the holiday discounting.

Roxkis_ii

If I could play Infinite on PS5 I'd delete Destiny and never reinstall it again.
Off topic, but I started playing Destiny 2 on PC again after not playing if for a while on console (Ps5), and holy freaking crap is the monetization is off the charts and horrendous! Charging people for nightfalls that used to be free (when buying the forsaken pack, you can even see that it used to be free on the psn store 😡), requiring DLC to complete seasonal challenges and earn the seasonal title, nerffing resources, so people don't have the said DLC have to grind longer. I bought this seasons season pass and feel absolutely cheated. I want to like the game, but fucking hell is the monetization absolute dirty dog water garbage!

*** breathes****

I just needed to get that off my chest..

Last edited:
I really do think Microsoft is going to redefine what it means to be a platform holder moving forward.

They aren't abandoning their platform/hardware but they also aren't going to be afraid to publish games on rival platforms.

What is the incentive to invest in their hardware going forward if they publish on other platforms particularly ones already more successful and regarded as having a more revered portfolio of exclusive software/IPs themselves?

Top Bottom