• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Microsoft exploring bringing back catalog to Nintendo and PlayStation

Chastten

Banned
You think? We already have a streaming subscription service available.

Consoles however skew towards younger audiences who will happily go along with whatever the platform holder decides.

Absolutely. PC gamers were the first to accept digital only, the first to accept DLC, season passes, etc, the first to accept always-online, etc etc. On top of that, they mostly play online games and don't give a rats ass about ownership.

They will absolutely be the first to accept a streaming only future, because 'at least we don't have to pay for online' or something like that.

Deerock71

Microsoft: We're going to release our back catalog on Nintendo and/or Sony systems. YOUR MOVE, FELLAS.

NINTENDO AND/OR SONY:
Tumbleweed GIF

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
What is the incentive to invest in their hardware going forward if they publish on other platforms particularly ones already more successful and regarded as having a more revered portfolio of exclusive software/IPs themselves?

Established player base which has a much higher Game Pass subscription ratio vs other platforms, and 100% of 1st party profits vs giving away 1/3rd of their profits on competing platforms.

Last edited:
“cut your nose off despite your face move” WTF.
Lol, should be to spite your face. Anyway, it only affects those who are invested in Xbox HW, which that number is dwindling. If you're more interested in Xbox actually surviving as a 3rd party company, it's a smart move.
Not to mention there is no indication that all the console discounts for the holiday moved the needle in any meaningful way. If it had, MS would be screaming through the rooftops about it. Instead? Crickets.
It's also telling that we're two weeks removed from the holidays, but stores are still selling holiday bundles at discounted prices. I remember the same happening to the XBO.
There won’t be much outrage when it happens, because the shills who are 90% of the vocal crowd will get new marching instructions from Phil to hype up these ports.
Oh, I can hear it, now. "Haha, PS5 and Switch is in such dire straits for content they need Xbox to bail them out."

Established player base which has a much higher Game Pass subscription ratio vs other platforms, and 100% of 1st party profits vs giving away 1/3rd of their profits on competing platforms.

I’m talking from a consumer perspective. Why would I buy a future Xbox console if I can play their releases on another console that already has a better regarded portfolio of games ?

We all know Spencer wants multi platform . Just get it over with.
Even one of his co workers stated as much on Major Nelsons podcast over three years ago. “He would put it all on everything if he could” forgive me I forget their name but that remark always stuck with me and thought it was a strange thing to say on a Xbox podcast at the time.

I’m not interested in their profits, they have enough money as it is and in my opinion they are no where meeting Xbox’s potential as a console for all that money and it looks like they never will. That says a lot about the kind of people they have had and have there. It could and should of been a much better competitor to PlayStation and Nintendo.

Instead they stick with more or less the same kind of people who scattergun.

Last edited:
Absolutely. PC gamers were the first to accept digital only, the first to accept DLC, season passes, etc, the first to accept always-online, etc etc. On top of that, they mostly play online games and don't give a rats ass about ownership.

They will absolutely be the first to accept a streaming only future, because 'at least we don't have to pay for online' or something like that.

PC gamers are also the most tech savvy, the most sensitive to quality (fps, resolution, graphical fidelity, ability to mod, increase performance, refresh rate) the most price conscious and in general the best taste in games.

Which is why streaming only is a hard pill to swallow for PC gamers like myself. I don't want shitty bitrate, input delay etc on my system.

Dane

Microsoft won't go third party because they get billions from the software sales cut, its just another revenue road.
There won’t be much outrage when it happens, because the shills who are 90% of the vocal crowd will get new marching instructions from Phil to hype up these ports.
There wasn't outcry from Sony shills either when they started to port stuff to PC. Loyalty doesn't pay shit if you're not backing that up, Nintendo learned that the hard way during the SNES up to Gamecube early days.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
PC gamers are also the most tech savvy, the most sensitive to quality (fps, resolution, graphical fidelity, ability to mod, increase performance, refresh rate) the most price conscious and in general the best taste in games.

Which is why streaming only is a hard pill to swallow for PC gamers like myself. I don't want shitty bitrate, input delay etc on my system.

I can absolutely understand your point, but that's only a small minority like on GAF.

The majority of PC gamers play Fortnite/Roblox/FF14/WoW/CoDOnline/etc on budget/midrange machines and have no clue about what any of the things you listed above mean.

-edit- also, the bolded just makes me laugh and is evidence of how delusional most hardcore PC gamers are. PC gaming hasn't been cheap in a very, very long time and yeah... taste is subjective, I guess. Most PC games are utter trash though, including most of the most-played ones.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I really do think Microsoft is going to redefine what it means to be a platform holder moving forward.

They aren't abandoning their platform/hardware but they also aren't going to be afraid to publish games on rival platforms.
If you are a pessimistic person and look at all the symptoms of the last months, it could be seen as just another step of XBox abandoning their hardware.

With bringing your 1st party software to other platforms you give your potential customers one reason less to buy your consoles. Why should you do that as platform holder if the console hardware is important to you?
There are reasons why Playstation only bring games to PC like 1-2 years after release on their own hardware instead of same day as Xbox does.

I was using WindowsPhone once, and I saw how Microsoft abandoned that platform from one day to another. You could see some symptoms, but officially they were behind WP until the last day.
If XBox would abandon their consoles I would guess they would still support if for X years (probably at least until the end of the generation) and then just don't release a next gen box.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yep. Instructions were circulated to the discord channel earlier last year. You'll notice that most of their army of super fans active on social, podcasts and YouTube all started playing PC primarily. A few have recently tried to position themselves as neutral and making a point playing PS Studio games and being complementary about them

It certainly seems like the new narrative will be, all games are great, play them where you want.... but they're best on a Windows device.

If you are a pessimistic person and look at all the symptoms of the last months, it could be seen as just another step of XBox abandoning their hardware.

With bringing your 1st party software to other platforms you give your potential customers one reason less to buy your consoles. Why should you do that as platform holder if the console hardware is important to you?
There are reasons why Playstation only bring games to PC like 1-2 years after release on their own hardware instead of same day as Xbox does.

I was using WindowsPhone once, and I saw how Microsoft abandoned that platform from one day to another. You could see some symptoms, but officially they were behind WP until the last day.

Look at how quickly they abandoned Mixer. What a dreadful waste of money to get Ninja to promote it too (not for him of course).

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I’m talking from a consumer perspective. Why would I buy a future Xbox console if I can play their releases on another console that already has a better regarded portfolio of games ?

Even one of his co workers stated as much on Major Nelsons podcast over three years ago. “He would put it all on everything if he could” forgive me I forget their name but that remark always stuck with me and thought it was a strange thing to say on a Xbox podcast at the time.

I’m not interested in their profits, they have enough money as it is and in my opinion they are no where meeting Xbox’s potential as a console for all that money and it looks like they never will. That says a lot about the kind of people they have had and have there. It could and should of been a much better competitor to PlayStation and Nintendo.

As a consumer, you may buy a future Xbox console because it has an attractive price point (ala Series S), or you have a digital library already established in the Xbox ecosystem that you don't want to abandon, or you want to take advantage of their robust multi-generational backwards compatibility offerings, or you prefer the Xbox controller, or you already pay for Game Pass on PC and want to expand it to your console, etc.. etc..

As I said earlier, I do see Microsoft de-prioritizing their hardware investment and no longer trying to compete in the cutting edge, "fastest console in the world" space. I think Xbox will become just another option rather than THE primary option to access Game Pass/Xbox Games Studios games. That's kind of been Xbox's whole mantra for years now. They don't care where you play, and they want you to be able to play on every single device available to you.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I remember when Sega went full 3rd party/stop making consoles.....I didnt even realize it because I always had more than 1 console platform.

I assume some die hards stopped supporting Sega or had a grudge against Sony and maybe MS. Its really not that serious. All I cared about was playing the next Sonic game, it didnt matter what console.
If they would go full third party the quality would drop. No reason to try digging out the last bit of power from a box to look better than another box if your games will be on all boxes.

But adding a back-catalogue of classic titles seems like s great idea. And is really no different than what Sony are doing on PC. PC and Xbox is kinda the same platform already so a secondary platform for MS could be PS and late ports there should get similar results. As in, annoying for those who want day 1 gaming but it is still a solution and they do sell more games and can also increase hype for new games since they reach outside their usual bubble.

The CFO already told everyone that's their plan people need to stop listening to Phil that Tim Stuart guy was very clear about a strategy change they're just not ready to announce it yet.

odhiex

They've hinted that for sometimes now, I am not even surprised. The fact that Phill said this a couple months ago:

"Xbox is a community of players, so it's important to build a community of players across a variety of platforms, which gives the community and the brand even more strength. Just as we think of ROG Ally and Steam Deck as part of the Xbox community, we need to think of the many Nintendo Switch and PlayStation users as part of the Xbox community in the future." - Phil Spencer, Famitsu interview

I don't think it is a dumb move neither. Does publishing (some/more) Xbox games outside their own console will negatively impact the XBOX sale? Sure. But, lots of money will be made and in the end, they would potentially become the biggest producer in the world.

Xbox consoles may become niche products like the Surface lines, but that doesn't stop Windows dominating the PC markets.

Mahavastu

Look at how quickly they abandoned Mixer. What a dreadful waste of money to get Ninja to promote it too (not for him of course).
I still remember them, although I never used it.
Microsoft had a video streaming platform they controlled and closed it just a day before their large Xbox Show in 2020, which they had to broadcast on competing platforms like Youtube, which had terrible image quality because they reduced the bitrate because of Corona. And XBox could do nothing to improve it.

Nydius

Probably already been said (sorry, I didn't read all 4 pages - kinda pressed for time atm) but:

Microsoft is getting smoked in hardware sales by Sony with the latest reports showing a 3:1 gap despite Microsoft offering a budget version this generation. Xbox bosses obfuscate numbers but it would appear that Game Pass Ultimate subscribers peaked around 25 million. Microsoft just spent a ton of money to buy a multiplatform publisher/studio group.

If they don't begin monetizing their first party IPs on these vastly more popular platforms, they're fucked.

No surprise if it happens. Spending $100 billion on devs/publishers and keeping them console exclusive to your floundering 3rd place hardware is insane. Seems like their CFO agrees.

And for me that’s the big problem. They never addressed that. They never did a good enough job of fixing that and time and again it was shown they never had the people in place capable of fixing that either and yet a few still remain and are getting bigged up by media and others constantly for doing so.

As a Xbox fan from the OG I don’t understand that at all

Last edited:
If they would go full third party the quality would drop. No reason to try digging out the last bit of power from a box to look better than another box if your games will be on all boxes.
One could argue that's already happening I found it extremely strange that all generation Microsoft first party haven't really taken advantage of the hardware what happened to the Velocity Architecture? Hell they didn't flex at all with Ray Tracing they showed a path traced Minecraft demo that allegedly only took a few weeks to bring up, it's a stark difference from how Sony's first party at least tried to show off the capabilities of PS5 even while marred in cross-gen development. Gears 5/Hive Busters was the only title that I could use to show off the Series X it feels like this generation Microsoft went completely away from having pride in their console power/capabilities it's a travesty how they treated the X.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Not gonna happen over night. But great if true. Let's abolish all artificial platform barriers (I wish we could abolish megacorps as well, but that's a futile discussion right now), it makes little sense for consumers.

demigod

I certainly dont want it which is why i'm on PC.
Dude you just have to look around at other entertainment and the way they went.
20 years from now arguably everything we consume will be internet based, ouside of maybe resturants and maybe clothes shops. Even our grocery shopping will slowly move to online, and thats somehting most of us need multiple times a week.
I mean speak to some kids sometimes and see what they think abut consoles, and gaming hardware, and think 20 years from now they will be our age and the gamers companies will be targeting.

Ease of use, and simplicity, will always win out in the end with the masses, it always does.
Next thing you’re going to tell us is we don’t need cars.

Mr.Phoenix

I mean no offence (offensive post incoming)..

But are Xbox fans delusional? Or just in denial?

What more needs to happen to make them see that if MS makes their entire library available on PS and it is as good as abandoning the Xbox platform and shifting to being a third-party publisher and gamepass?

I don't get it... what am I missing? If they start making all their games available on other platforms (PS5 + PC) and on gamepass. Is that literally not what it means to be a third-party publisher? Or even more pertinent, If they make more money from their gamepass subs than they do from selling consoles and selling third-party games on their consoles, then what is the point of them having a console?

If you ask me, Gamepass on PC would soon evolve into a full-on store to compete with Steam. And having gamepass would just mean that you get a lot of the games on that store for free (basically the gamepass library) and/or with some really big discounts. And then their games will also be on PS consoles too.

If that doesn't make them a full-on third-party publisher I don't know what else will.

Fredrik

One could argue that's already happening I found it extremely strange that all generation Microsoft first party haven't really taken advantage of the hardware what happened to the Velocity Architecture? Hell they didn't flex at all with Ray Tracing they showed a path traced Minecraft demo that allegedly only took a few weeks to bring up, it's a stark difference from how Sony's first party at least tried to show off the capabilities of PS5 even while marred in cross-gen development. Gears 5/Hive Busters was the only title that I could use to show off the Series X it feels like this generation Microsoft went completely away from having pride in their console power/capabilities it's a travesty how they treated the X.
MS always has to do three versions for every launch now so could be that, split optimization and bug testing etc. But I mostly play on PC so can’t say much about how things has changed on console. They always talk more than they deliver anyhow so agreed on most of that.

Still, things could definitely be worse if there would be 2 more versions to worry about besides X and S and PC. And as said there would be no need to even attempt to outdo someone else. They had a good thing going with the BC team, that’s probably where they’ve impressed me the most. They need to keep them around for the next console.

Darsxx82

Many reasons.

1- Exclusive games day one. "First in", "best in"....
If MS continues to release hardware you can be sure that it will release exclusive games even if they may become temporary exclusives later. The fact is that it is one thing to launch games first on PS and Switch and another to launch them all or to launch them at the same time.

2- The ecosystem. Very connected people with a long catalog acquired over the years.

3- Gamepass. Only on XBOX console. The value of what it offers may become a reason that makes it essential for many to have an XBOX console.

4- The hardware. Who tells you that MS cannot offer a product of irreproachable value. Imagine an extra-powerful console looking at the Hardcore player ($700/€) where they can play better on multiplatforms or a type of powerful laptop or hybrid console.....
Hardware can be a factor of attraction and loyalty.

One thing we can all agree on is that MS's message is confusing, contradictory and difficult to decipher.... OK But that is the reason not to embrace any position and be cautious.

First because those words were made during a statement in a trial against the FTC. Much of what was said is pure legal strategy.

Why do people think that MS has risked (is still risking) the acquisition of ABK by insisting on only accepting the obligation to release COD on PS?? If your plan was to be a 3rd party and only accumulate IPs to sell in the manner of EA and Take Two... There is no explanation.

Why do people forget what was discovered there? The decision to make EVERYTHING exclusive, "end PS", "Indiana Jones exclusive"..... It's funny because the same people who defended this position of MS with the acquisition of ABK are now the ones who embrace "the acquisition was a step to be a full 3rd party and dñabandon XBOX consoles" 😅😅😂

The main objective of MS is to establish a controlled ecosystem. A business where you do not depend on the decisions of companies that are your competition.... Abandoning your console business (the main source of income for your gaming business and GPass subscriptions) is the first step to achieve the opposite.

Launching all your games in the competition is also the first step for potential users to abandon that ecosystem... I think people don't stop to think what it means to abandon the console business. It is not a simple "what is lost from selling games on XBOX is gained from games sold on PS".

NO, it's not that simple.

From here on, my personal opinion....

I believe that MS is in a situation where it is forced to "test different situations" and see which one best suits its financial and strategic interests.

XSeries sales and FTC.

XSeries sales are important to them, but this is a time where they may want to see if:

- Releasing past games (1-2-3 years later) on competing platforms would affect your sales expectations (according to the FTC doc, they predict 50-56 million in 2028).

- If launching games on Switch/PS can mean revaluing the power of their IPs or favoring mindshare of these IPs in certain markets (Japan, Asia)

That is to say, as much as some deeply desire it (they have been doing it since 2005 😅), MS is going to continue releasing console hardware and will continue releasing exclusives in its ecosystem. (You wouldn't name Sarah Bond as head of Xbox Hardware if there wasn't next XBOX hardware 😉).

Then the question will be what is the degree of importance that MS gives to the whatever the results of that "testing" it will mean for their interests.

Last edited:

Fredrik

What more needs to happen to make them see that if MS makes their entire library available on PS and it is as good as abandoning the Xbox platform and shifting to being a third-party publisher and gamepass?

I don't get it... what am I missing? If they start making all their games available on other platforms (PS5 + PC) and on gamepass. Is that literally not what it means to be a third-party publisher? Or even more pertinent, If they make more money from their gamepass subs than they do from selling consoles and selling third-party games on their consoles, then what is the point of them having a console?

If you ask me, Gamepass on PC would soon evolve into a full-on store to compete with Steam. And having gamepass would just mean that you get a lot of the games on that store for free (basically the gamepass library) and/or with some really big discounts. And then their games will also be on PS consoles too.

If that doesn't make them a full-on third-party publisher I don't know what else will.
Adding a late back-catalogue of high demand classics is what Sony do on PC. I don’t see that as going full third party, it’s a way to make some extra money from games that has stopped selling and to get more people interested in IPs outside of their usual bubble and could work as a trojan horse for a sequel. MS are already on PC day 1 so can’t use that.

clarky

Banned

If you think thats an offensive post then you need to up your game.

Agent X

And then they died. Quantity instead of quality was the cause of their downfall. Or at least Nintendo believed so. Now Nintendo and Sony have a healthy business and don't need or want to do so. Xbox needs to do so, or at least think it have to. Not the same situation at all.

I totally agree with you, but my point was simply that other companies have tried this strategy in the past. In many cases, this is an indication that the company is giving up on the hardware business (or at least not pursuing it as hard). Sega at the end of 2001 is probably the best known example of this.

That depends on where the "quality" is focused. If you're looking for technical showpieces, then I agree that this is unlikely to occur with a broad third-party strategy.

However, if they aren't concerned too much about hitting certain technical features or filling specific genre niches within a rigid first-party schedule, then the developers might have more opportunity to work on the actual game design. They no longer have to "sell" hardware by checking off technical bullet-points.

GHG

Gold Member
Many reasons.

1- Exclusive games day one. "First in", "best in"....
If MS continues to release hardware you can be sure that it will release exclusive games even if they may become temporary exclusives later. The fact is that it is one thing to launch games first on PS and Switch and another to launch them all or to launch them at the same time.

That's PC.

2- The ecosystem. Very connected people with a long catalog acquired over the years.

Only applies to people already entrenched.

3- Gamepass. Only on XBOX console. The value of what it offers may become a reason that makes it essential for many to have an XBOX console.

PC again.

4- The hardware. Who tells you that MS cannot offer a product of irreproachable value. Imagine an extra-powerful console looking at the Hardcore player ($700/€) where they can play better on multiplatforms or a type of powerful laptop or hybrid console.....
Hardware can be a factor of attraction and loyalty.

A premium console would only make matters worse for them. There's nothing their hardware offers that's unique, even down to the controllers. They've failed to innovate and the response by the market has been the response.

Astray

They've failed to innovate and the response by the market has been the response.
Reminder that their launch strategy was centered around backcompat, which may be well-liked by us hardcore users, but is something the ordinary consumer simply doesn't care about.

My friend won't care if Lost Odyssey is playable on XSX when he's making the decision to purchase a console for his kids.

Side note when they were recruiting Ninja Ybarra and his wife took Ninja and his wife to dinner and Ybarra HATED Ninja and HATED even being seen in public with him

I would be interested in your take on things in a sort of retrospect at some point given your posts in the past. I get the impression you share my view Xbox would be doing a lot better if it had better management/culture (I could be way off of course)

Top Bottom