• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish Thurrot would go become an Apple insider, his BS pisses me off

He doesn't bother me ... I just listen to him like I would any pundits and platform evangelist. At least he call out Microsoft on some of the stuff they do.

Also didn't the mango misinformation that they gave him seems like a tid for tad for him harping about the update and calling Microsoft out on their update bullshit. (Which in the end he was right, they did concede all the update power to the carrier).

dLMN8R

I was almost ready to give up on Windows Weekly this week.

Why do they act like Defender vs. Security Essentials is such a big deal? They're acting like general consumers actually know about Defender or Security Essentials.

Look, this is all there is to it: Windows 8 includes virus protection as good as or better than MSE. So you can't run MSE on it, and you don't need MSE on it.

Is that sentence really so difficult to understand? Why do they feel like anyone needs to know the confusing history here? They dwell on it forever acting like it matters, acting like Microsoft doesn't know what they're doing, when it's actually them who's completely over-thinking things here.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Why do they act like Defender vs. Security Essentials is such a big deal? They're acting like general consumers actually know about Defender or Security Essentials.

Look, this is all there is to it: Windows 8 includes virus protection as good as or better than MSE. So you can't run MSE on it, and you don't need MSE on it.

Is that sentence really so difficult to understand? Why do they feel like anyone needs to know the confusing history here? They dwell on it forever acting like it matters, acting like Microsoft doesn't know what they're doing, when it's actually them who's completely over-thinking things here.

Agreed!

I haven't listen to this week but I thought the argument was Microsoft changing back and forth between Defender and Essentials name instead of sticking to one "brand". Personally I think Essentials was a great products and give people like me who swore off Microsoft virus protection software to give them a second chance. It's great that they built that into the OS now but I can see where it could be very confusing when people are upgrading and wondering where Security Essentials went.

Also Defender is such stupid name... why would you want to name product that call out the flaw. Windows Defender give such connotation that Windows is so vulnerable that it need to have a Defender running. And let not get start on slapping Windows on everything. I won't be surprise if they rename "Zune" to Windows Music.

Commodore

Ben Rudolph is doing another win a Lumia contest. (caption a photo, weirdly a white 900 with a dove bar of soap) Some guy is putting some of the responses into banners.

Oh Snap! Woz likes the 900's aesthetic value over Android

Also, do we want a rumored Galaxy S3 infused Windows 8 Phone? Sloppy seconds again? Or a better fit.

Faster dual/quad core processor (depending on region)
4.7-inch HD display
12-megapixel rear camera, 2-megapixel front-facing camera
NFC capabilities
Dedicated camera button
Samsung Cloud Support
Improved Photo Studio
LTE support

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I love how he's all about the Windows Phone at 1st. Then he's like Android is POS, and saying shits all over the place and just messy. Then he's going down his WP apps list saying where's my messages... oh yeah here.... where's my e-mail oh yeah here...

Then he gets to the xbox live app, and he's about to say something nice again but slams on the breaks. He's like oh wait yea I don't own an Xbox. You know how I think Live is a POS. So he's like this can leave. I don't need it. LOL

giga

What does Woz's opinion on WP have to do with The Verge's opinion on WP?
The Verge has been getting flak for more than their review of the 900. People have been shitting on their reporting of WP news as well, if you've been following this thread.

The Verge has been getting flak for more than their review of the 900. People have been shitting on their reporting of WP news as well, if you've been following this thread.
The only reason they The Verge exists is to regurgitate internet info from other sources. Of course they are going to write about something that is getting attention on the internet.

I'm pretty sure people have an issue with their opinion on WP news, not the actual regurgitation of news itself.

The only reason they The Verge exists is to regurgitate internet info from other sources. Of course they are going to write about something that is getting attention on the internet.

I'm pretty sure people have an issue with their opinion on WP news, not the actual regurgitation of news itself.
Nope, people were claiming that they were purposely running articles from outside sources that had negative WP slants as some sort of attack on Nokia/MS/WP.

giga

What's their opinion on WP news?

dream

You know who else hated The Verge? The webOS lunatics. They were all aghast at Josh giving the Veer a 5.1 and couldn't believe he suggested that "from a pure features an apps perspective, it's easily bested by iOS and Android devices."

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You know who else hated The Verge? The webOS lunatics. They were all aghast at Josh giving the Veer a 5.1 and couldn't believe he suggested that "from a pure features an apps perspective, it's easily bested by iOS and Android devices."

Hi Dream,

Could you make a WP7/WebOS comparison post? I missed it the first 30 times you did it.

dream

Sure. I'll start by comparing how both fanbases couldn't accept the fact that niche platforms are objectively weaker than the market leaders in areas that reviewers look at.

What's their opinion on WP news?

I have no idea, I'm talking about the types of complaints that seem to occur in this thread. They do the typical regurgitation and then throw some kind of flippant comment on it. I don't spend a lot of time reading the various regurgitation sites so I'm just going by the things posted in here.

Edit-Just because I'm bored I went and looked for their opinion, here's the latest example of The Verge putting their slant on actual news involving Windows Phone.

Nokia's Operation Rolling Thunder starts with a whimper

So despite Nokia, T-Mobile and ATT saying that Lumia sales in the US have exceeded expectations, The Verge has a headline and article suggesting that Nokia's US sales are doing worse than they wanted them to.

No agenda though, just a coincidence that they wrote an inflammatory headline and article that is opposite to what all the primary parties are saying.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sure. I'll start by comparing how both fanbases couldn't accept the fact that niche platforms are objectively weaker than the market leaders in areas that reviewers look at.

Which areas would those be?

To help you out, I'll just aggregate what the folks in this thread pretty much unanimously agree to:

-3rd party app situation is not where it needs to be (both in raw numbers and in quality)
-MS needs to iterate quicker with the OS updates
-Gaming situation is sub-par, especially given the inherent advantage that Xbox Live integration is supposed to bring
-3rd party OEMs (outside of Nokia) just aren't bringing it
-OS hardware requirement specifications need to be updated ASAP

With those out of the way, what legitimate complaint, in your opinion, has the wp7 fanbase not accepted, but is objectively true?

dream

To help you out, I'll just aggregate what the folks in this thread pretty much unanimously agree to:

-3rd party app situation is not where it needs to be (both in raw numbers and in quality)
-Gaming situation is sub-par, especially given the inherent advantage that Xbox Live integration is supposed to bring

With those out of the way, what legitimate complaint, in your opinion, has the wp7 fanbase not accepted, but is objectively true?

That's what's funny! The Verge's complaints are nearly identical to the things everyone gripes about in this thread.

M$ is evil.

That's what's funny! The Verge's complaints are nearly identical to the things everyone gripes about in this thread.

I think you should read those posts again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Isn't everyone mad because Josh made fun of them for being all angry at him for pointing out the same things they complain about on a daily basis?

No, unless you mean over at the verge forums, which I no longer visit. Or their comments. But in this thread? No. And you should know that, because you were in this thread and posting when all the Lumia 900 review bullshit went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom