• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winning Eleven Champions League.

Just wanted to say congrats to huka. Two well played games. Even when I lost in the league, I still had a blast. I might not have time for season 2, so if I'm not around, thanks to everyone for a really fun season, especially Astro, Fifty and sef for making the site and keeping the league running.

Socreges

Banned
Fifty said:
Osama Bin Laden stays in the same place longer than the average WE league member!
:lol nice

sefskillz said:
I'm a software engineer. I work long hours. I just closed on the house we've been building for 6 months. I'm trying to get house finished, move into house, get everything in order while working long hours as mentioned above. I have many things in two different locations currently. Locations that are a hour apart. Hopefully I'll have internet access at the new house this week. I just got over the flu. I work long hours. I'm moving. I'm trying to finish a house.

Give up my spot... it's fine, I understand.
Hey, man, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. I didn't know you were moving. Let's not get dramatic! Play your games when the move is complete - I'll sit here patiently. ;)

bionic77

Hey Srider, what times are good for you to play?

P.S. Stuttgart is going to send that sorry excuse for a team that Man U. tried and failed to assemble home. Those English nancy boys won't know what hit them (and neither will the other 90% of the team that doesn't come from England).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ggs LB, I dunno what got into Owen those two games but I'm sure he will disappear again for the rest of the playoffs.

huka- let me know when you can play

Hayami

Banned
weeeooooo, that wraps it up for me. awesome season, thanks to everyone, especially Astro and Fifty and sef, for all the fun.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
They are going to shut the servers down before we ever get season two started! :lol Good luck guys!

Fifty

Whoever's active in conference two should just play (I'm guessing Socreges vs Bionic) and then they can play the winner of Huka/Astro. This league started out ok, but the apathy seems to have been growing (yes, people have been very busy as well!) and it's just gone to hell.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Great games huka, shame we couldn't do a straight Golden Goal and had to do that 5 min game instead but those were seriously like real champion's league games between your PK in the first game, your two posts that you hit in the second, the heroics of Alan Geritolius Shearer, it was great.

you guys just let me know when the conf 2 champ is sorted; i'd love to see everyone play their games if that's possible (though hey shit happens) though whatever works best is fine (e.g. you guys don't have to worry about finishing the regular season if you don't want)

Srider

Banned
I'm around, bionic and I just have been talking through pm's. We will get our games done these few days over the weekend.

Congrats to my man Astro on going to the final. Yeah those games were intense. That sneaky little bastard Owen had to save the day didnt he. ;) A well played league hombre, good luck in the final.

A tip for you Conference 2 guys. If you have a game where its tied in aggregate but you're not able to go to golden goal (like the 1-0 situation AL and I had), just have a quick 5 minute game with PKs and treat it like its the Golden Goal period.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, forget the regular season games. Agreed?

Shoplifter/sefskillz.... you guys have any idea when your playoff games can be played?

bionic77

Hey Srider where are you?

Unless I messed up the timezones again I have been online in lobby five since 7pm EST. It has been almost 15 minutes and I don't see you online on AIM or my WE friends list. Let me know what happened. I guess we will have to reschedule, but this is getting crazy.

Srider

Banned
We got our games in, in case others were worrying. Ran into a bit of traffic so was about 20 mins late to the match. I apologize again to Bionic for making him wait. Thanks for waiting.

bionic77

Srider said:
We got our games in, in case others were worrying. Ran into a bit of traffic so was about 20 mins late to the match. I apologize again to Bionic for making him wait. Thanks for waiting.

It is all good and we got our matches in. I admit I was a little pissed when I didn't see you at first, but as long as someone gives me a good reason as to why they couldn't make it I am fine with it.

Good match Srider and thanks to everyon else for showing good sportsmanship throughout. Thanks also to Fifty, Astro, Sefskillz, and everyone else involved with the league.

While it was a ton of fun, I doubt I will participate in the 2nd edition as it is so hard to coordinate everyones's schedules. And also to me online just doesn't properly capture the entire WE experience. It might have been because of my mad ghetto Comcast connection, but the experience is just not the same for me online. There is too much delay that takes some of the options away from what you can do. Regardless though, everyone from GAF was totally awesome in this league and I hope to get some random matches with you guys whenever we can. And if we could ever arrange for a in person tournament somehow that would probably be the greatest thing ever.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Since we haven't heard from sef in a while, I guess he's still busy moving etc. so shoplifter and Soc you guys can go ahead and schedule/play your games unless you hear from sef first shoplifter.

Thanks for the nice words from everyone. It's been fun playing w/ you guys and I would do it again next time I've got the time (probably in about 30 years).

A final big thanks to sef as well for all the great work on the site; it would have been quite a low-rent operation without him.

Socreges

Banned
I'll be joining the next league/cup since I should have enough free time over the summer. Hopefully we can recruit some new people to make up for those that are unfortunately dropping.

I just lost 2-0 to nhan83, the 11th ranked player. He was in 2nd before, according to himself. I actually outposessed (sic?) him 58-42 and outshot him 5-3. My shots were also great chances (as were his), so I still feel like I outplayed or matched him. It was a tight, intense game. Goes to show that after a certain threshold, its not too difficult to compete with the best. I don't think this guy was the best, though... he just played a whole lot. There are some players who have a 90% win percentage (compared to 65% for nhan83). I'd love to play them. They could probably teach me a thing or two.

And yea, thanks to sef. Its unfortunate timing. I wish he could have gotten his chance.

Fifty

I haven't made up my mind whether or not I'll organize a season 2. Sef was a godsend this year in creating the website for us all, and because of that we have the framework to easily schedule and create a second season. The question I'm debating is one of interest.

Do people really give a shit? I only can name about 4-6 who I think do. If there is interest, by people who have some free time, and aren't going through major life changes, I'd certainly consider it. We'd of course need at least 8 people, but when this league was on, that is to say, when people were playing at a regular pace, it was tons of fun. The energy spent by myself and astro was not so much in the schedule creation, but rather in pushing people to complete their games. If people want to do it, it can be (somewhat easily) done.

That concludes my quasi state of the WE union address.

Socreges

Banned
I'm not sure if it was the interest that dropped or maybe just terrible timing with people getting busy right as they were needed to play for things to continue. I find it difficult to believe that people lost interest as soon as the playoffs began. That seems more like a coincidence than a cause.

I know if I would have had to play games these last couple weeks, I would have been screwed. I was always interested, but had exams and was super busy. Fortunately I had completed my schedule earlier than most and got a bye as well.

Also, I hope that people start doing recaps again. I've noticed that they're rarely done. Too cheesy?

Once again, I'm in.

When the time comes, let's create a recruitment thread in the Gaming Forum. There's a chance that some people outside our small circle will want to play. Last I remember, Shinobi was game. It'd be nice to enter a familiar face.

Rorschach

Yeah, it was a life getting in the way thing for me. I ended up getting all my games done before half the league, but I was just going through the motions at the end. I did enjoy most of my games, though.

Besides the horrible net code (which can't be helped), one thing that did seem off, though, was that the more skilled players also got some of the best teams. It's like FMT or CK using the Pats. Setting up the draft the way we would set up the Madden drafts might work out (which is the same way the nfl does it). Oh, and part of the reason for the league disorder was due to the size of the league (28 to start). A more intimate league and the use of aim in addition to the thread would help.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll be able to. It all depends on whether there's a new season of Madden. :p If it does, I'd be in three leagues and finals time is around the corner.

Good job to the commissioners. It must have been frustrating as hell, but you guys kept up with it best you could.

Socreges

Banned
I agree that a reverse draft would be beneficial. The winner of the league's reward can be the sweet taste of victory alone. ;)

I have a lot of experience with this series and take little pride in, with AC Milan, defeating beginners that have poor teams. It's never automatic, but definitely not fair.

As for new entries, they can get random picks. Or something.

Miguel

Rorschach said:
Yeah, it was a life getting in the way thing for me. I ended up getting all my games done before half the league, but I was just going through the motions at the end. I did enjoy most of my games, though.

Besides the horrible net code (which can't be helped), one thing that did seem off, though, was that the more skilled players also got some of the best teams. It's like FMT or CK using the Pats. Setting up the draft the way we would set up the Madden drafts might work out (which is the same way the nfl does it). Oh, and part of the reason for the league disorder was due to the size of the league (28 to start). A more intimate league and the use of aim in addition to the thread would help.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll be able to. It all depends on whether there's a new season of Madden. :p If it does, I'd be in three leagues and finals time is around the corner.

Good job to the commissioners. It must have been frustrating as hell, but you guys kept up with it best you could.

^WE9 Bush Bowl Champion

Brofist

Rorschach said:

I think that will be easier to pull off with a season under our belts.

Srider

Banned
I know I've had some problems getting my games in, but I had a lot of fun with the league especially when I lose matches. Sef's site was also a great addition with the statistics to see how we all compared. I simply love playing WE with different people, but it's hard for me to fully enjoy the game online. Aside from the timing issues, the game being online often forces you to compromise in terms of defense. You simply can't play defense well online or at least the same way as you do offline. It's also frustrating to have your commands buffered incorrectly when lag hits. These are the only things that are making my hesitant about joining season two. As for season one, the commissioners did a great job, and thanks for putting up with my issues and being patient with some of us. It would be great if we can play in person, but I guess we’ll have to settle with online. It’s a maybe for me with season two right now, we’ll see how things go.

bionic77

Srider said:
I know I've had some problems getting my games in, but I had a lot of fun with the league especially when I lose matches. Sef's site was also a great addition with the statistics to see how we all compared. I simply love playing WE with different people, but it's hard for me to fully enjoy the game online. Aside from the timing issues, the game being online often forces you to compromise in terms of defense. You simply can't play defense well online or at least the same way as you do offline. It's also frustrating to have your commands buffered incorrectly when lag hits. These are the only things that are making my hesitant about joining season two. As for season one, the commissioners did a great job, and thanks for putting up with my issues and being patient with some of us. It would be great if we can play in person, but I guess we’ll have to settle with online. It’s a maybe for me with season two right now, we’ll see how things go.

The lag seemed to depend on the quality of your connection. Some GAFers apparently never had any problems going online. Unfortunately if you had an ass connection (like we and many others did) it definitely impacted the game negatively. Maybe this is something that Konami can fix in WE10. :D

P.S. I have two Comcast connections and both of them sucked massive balls. I tried being wired or going wireless with both of them and it never made any difference, the best I could hope for was a yellow connection. So in my limited experience Comcast sucks balls for online gaming.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SRider-Soc, Any idea on when the big showdown's going on? I'd like to get the final game in pretty soon...

Srider

Banned
AstroLad said:
SRider-Soc, Any idea on when the big showdown's going on? I'd like to get the final game in pretty soon...

Well Soc.. can we get our games in early this week? Let me know.

Socreges

Banned
???? I haven't won anything yet!

I was waiting on sefskillz/shoplifter, but I just realized that shoplifter won by default.

shoplifter and I still have to play then, unless I've missed something. I'll pm him and try to get our games scheduled.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Alright guys, it's been a few days now that the matchup has been set and I still don't know what's going on. I don't really want to have this drag out into next week so shoplifter and soc please play or one of you forfeit very shortly if you can't play in the next few days and then whoever is the winner play srider ASAP (that means within the next few days). I don't have any time next week which is why I wanted to avoid these playoffs stretching out as they have so please just do whatever it takes otherwise you're just going to have to figure the rest of the playoffs out yourselves. Danke.

shoplifter

Sorry, I must have missed your first post saying that you were pushing us up. I got Soc's pm, we should be able to get our game in in the next few days.

Socreges

Banned
Shoplifter and I are going to play at 4:30 PST on friday.

Srider, check up around 5:30 PST. The winner, either myself or shoplifter, should be in touch with you soon after to arrange the semi-final.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It looks like fifty deleted all the information from the past season in creating the new season (I literally can't even change the bracket anymore since all the teams are deleted) so don't worry about entering/recording stats guys, just post the scores here.

Fifty

:lol :lol

Oops. Oh well, there are only a few games left in this, right? When and if they get played, it won't be hard just to post the stats here. Sorry though.

Socreges

Banned
Wow, the first season is going to be even more anti-climactic than I first thought. There's nothing to say it even exists any longer. ;)

shoplifter, I'm heading online right now. Lobby 5.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Socreges said:
Wow, the first season is going to be even more anti-climactic than I first thought. There's nothing to say it even exists any longer. ;)

shoplifter, I'm heading online right now. Lobby 5.

Haha, yeah, just like the World Cup. Though the loss of interest/participation in Season 1 has been almost comical, I suggest you guys implement a betting system in Season 2 to avoid the inevitable interest plummet. Would be great if whoever wins between you guys could play srider soon b/c I'll be ready to go in any of the next few days here.

shoplifter

good matches Soc, that own goal in match 2 was a killer on your end :/ I still have no idea why it's just you that I lag with so badly.

Srider, when do you want to play?

Match 1

Chelsea 3 ACM 1

Match 2

ACM 2 Chelsea 1

Totals

Chelsea 1 win, 4 goals
AC Milan 1 win 3 goals

Socreges

Banned
Shoplifter won!!11

He went up 3-0 and then I made it 3-1 late. The second goal was very regrettable: I pressed circle to clear, but Stam chipped it (???) to Drogba who quickly slipped it into the net. That one hurt. Third was pretty. Nice cross!

Second game I scored early, but he tied it up after my player dribbled it into his own f'ing net (bobbling it while running into the net, really bad). I scored another, but couldn't split it past Cech (who was crazy stellar in both games) late. 4-3 on aggregate.

GGs, shoplifter. Too bad you couldn't do season 2. Sorry about the lag. Dunno how to explain that since my connection wasn't too bad.

Btw, what were the shot/possesion totals?

shoplifter

My guess is that nothing can or ever will be done about the lag. Likely an ISP<->ISP thing.

match 1

ACM - 20 shots, 13 on target, 56% possesion
Chelsea - 8 shots, 6 on target, 44% poss

match 2

ACM - 14 shots, 9 on target, 54% poss
Chelsea - 8 shots, 5 on target, 46% poss

Honestly, the only way I knew of that I could beat you was to mark your forwards heavily, hunker down with 5 backs, and try to counterattack as much as possible.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Good work guys. I'll keep my eye on the thread in the next few days and PM me when you're done also and we can get going this weekend hopefully.

Socreges

Banned
shoplifter said:
Honestly, the only way I knew of that I could beat you was to mark your forwards heavily, hunker down with 5 backs, and try to counterattack as much as possible.
Fucker. ;)

Great first season, guys. It was really fun to be a part of. Thanks to Astro, Fifty, and sefskillz for the work involved.

Srider

Banned
Here's our results.

Code:
                              Game 1
           ManU              at                Chelsea
              2               Score                 2
            10               Shots                  2
              5         Shots On Target        2
             56%        Possession %        44%
                               Goals
 Van Nistelrooy 1                          Lampard 1
              Giggs 1                                Duff 1

Game 2
           Chelsea           at               ManU
              0                Score              8
              8                Shots             19
              2        Shots On Target      12
             49%       Possession %       51%
 Makelele 1          Yellow Cards         0
                                Goals
                                                  Van Nistelrooy 6
                                                           A Smith 1
                                                       C. Ronaldo 1

Good games Shoplifter, I just had lucky bounces and lucky breaks aside from the penalties in the second game. Chelsea is dangerous as always. Ok Astrolad, when you want to get the finals going?

Top Bottom