• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Puella Magi Madoka Magica 4

yTJf3.jpg

I should've learned to not judge a series by its looks by now, heh.

This is good stuff.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai 02
NnA6O.jpg

This is life.
That was extremely enjoyable. I really do like Sena's and Yozara's feud against each other and their sudden cooperation with each other. Playing Monster Hunter and a dating sim was extremely fun to watch, and I wonder why we haven't gotten a Monster Hunter anime yet.
I really do like Sena's gaming side and her total commitment towards playing games.
Kodoka is just sorta there at this point with his terrible fashion choices both in game and in real life.

Thoraxes

Nisemonogatari 08:

Tonight, I transcended my body and experienced heights of sensory intensity normally reserved for beings that have achieved oneness with existence. I saw things, felt emotions, and tasted a minty freshness whose cosmic levels of intensity I never be able to articulate with limited human speech.

Remember, I will never lead you astray.

There was nothing I had anticipated more than that scene getting animated, and the fact that it did, and so awesomely, makes me glad that I read the novels just to appreciate it more.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Remember, I will never lead you astray.

There was nothing I had anticipated more than that scene getting animated, and the fact that it did, and so awesomely, makes me glad that I read the novels just to appreciate it more.

I should never have doubted you. In fact, I may hold everyone else responsible for not hyping it up enough now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nisemono 8

Wow. I mean, I think I was oversold on the whole
toothbrush
thing, but that was still pretty amazing.

I think that was even better than the random hijinks in the last AnoNatsu episode.

Joule

Nise 3: I wonder why I let the episodes pick up this much till I got back to it. So I heard this was the good episode and it was. Felt a lot more inline with what I enjoyed about Bake than the previous episodes (though Kanbaru is great). The banter between Senjou and Araragi was entertaining and we got back to where we started off in the first episode. I'm looking forward to see what's going on with Hanekawa. This Kaiki dude is kind of ominous I guess.

Black Rock Shooter 2: Talk about whiplash after Nise. From Sawashiro being awesome as Kanbaru to terrible as Yomi. Ugh. Mato is getting stood up like and gets achey toes : ( The school nurse/councilor or whatever she is, must be trolling the shit out of anybody who's watching this show. When you're hurt you're not hurt. Fuck outta here. Kagari sucks some more and does amateur acupuncture on Yomi's chest. The other world stuff's action is nice but why does it have to accompany the rest of this show. I wonder what's kind of mindbreak Kagari got at the end of the episode. At least I hope that's what it is.

However I did get a few nice macaroon gifs. I kind of feel like this when I'm watching this show (I like macaroons though!):
aJ0FI.gif

Thoraxes

I went back and watched the BRS movie again.

Watching the TV show is like watching your pet dog getting terminally ill and then having to put it to sleep and the kids keep asking where Fido went.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nise 08
My expectation coming into the episode from some of the reactions was that I would be watching fetishistic fluff, but actually watching the episode didn't really push that impression on me. Over analysis and spoiler stuff abound below, though I guess that goes without saying.

This episode actually has a wildly different feel from the rest of the "-monogatari" series. It's pretty daring really, in the best possible way. The most common means of exposition, character development, and even pay off for Bake and Nise tends to be the dialogue. These shows have always payed special attention to what people say and carry themselves on executing that at a high level. Because of this, the shows can often feel aimless, teetering on a strange edge between the mundane and the supernatural.

Episode eight of Nisemonogatari is more about what isn't said. On this conceptual level, things are handled quite well. There is a much more definitive structuring to what's going on here.

To begin with, each conversation is actually charged with a specific desire. There is something one party seeks to gain from the other at all times. It starts with Karen trying to butter up Araragi to introduce her to Kanbaru. Even here, Nise isn't relying purely on the words here. She's dressed up for the part of manipulation. For her brother and potentially the audience.

While there are obvious signs of Karen's interruption here being a search for her brother's attention and praise she also seems to exert a level of control over her brother that reaches beyond what any of the other characters in Bake or Nise are capable of. Even groveling she always seems to be in the position of power, inflicting frustration and discomfort on her brother to lead him where she wants. Again, there is a physicality here absent from the rest of the show. How does she throw her Araragi off his game to take advantage of him? It's all about physical contact between the two and how it's viewed under multiple lenses of Karen's naivety, her brother's feigned innocence, and the overly sexualized reality presented by Shaft.

This physicality continues of course, turning to violence when it becomes obvious that Karen won't change her brother's mind with just words. This is however short lived as Araragi's vampiric affliction makes violence on him a rather futile pursuit, but Araragi presents the opportunity of a game both to put an end to requests and to fulfill a desire of his own.

So we wind up with the scene. It's actually fairly in line with the rest of the episode. There is a mask of innocence placed on top of the sexual tension between Karen and Araragi because of their relationship as brother and sister, but also because Araragi is simply resorting to his sister's tricks. The aim is arousal through the guise of innocence, but as a lecherous individual Araragi cannot play the same game as his sister. And so with the strangest interpretation of penetration and lost innocence things escalate.

A short list of some visually interesting things from the episode (even though it was all contained to one empty room):
The episode both begins and ends with one of Araragi's little sisters entering his room unwelcome.
Poor Senjougahara. Is your hold over Araragi threated most by his little sister? This shot comes up just as Karen jumps on her brother.
Some shots in regards to role reversal. Karen controls the conversation while on the bed alone, but Araragi takes it back when he joins her.

In regards to how Araragi sees his sister, we get this shot when he finds out she's dolled herself up. I guess it can be hard to acknowledge your little sister as a person with sexual desires. But after he gets caught she does go back to being her regular old self.

A certain model dirigible wound up sparkling clean by the end of the episode too. That's one spectacular toothbrush.

Sket Dance 46

Good start to the Bossun back story. Like the other ones, the somewhat somber atmosphere makes a return as do the monologues. Nothing earth-shattering yet, but I can feel it building up to something good. Definitely wasn't expecting his
parents' tragic story
to be covered before the back story really even gets going.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai 03
Dear lord, isn't she cute.
Good episode. I really like that Sena plays eroges and is willing to act it out in defense of their story. Kobato is adorable as a loli necromancer. Mini beach scene was pretty good. I totally called the twist at the end.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Nichibros 07:

The
Dragon Quest
gag in the first half was way too long, but the second half was SOLID GOLD.
HOW DO THEY KEEP TOPPING THEMSELVES EACH WEEK ON THE LITERATURE GIRL SKITS? Screaming and crying in shame after destroying the mood with her own clumsiness
was one of the best things in the show thus far.
Uncute girls are the cutest

High School Girls are Funky is becoming a really awesomely biting criticism of K-On and its ilk. I'm so glad that it's become a weekly skit and that it hasn't had to share time with the oujosama and her butlers from the second episode, though that was fairly funny in its own right.

jman2050

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai 03

Dear lord, isn't she cute.
Good episode. I really like that Sena plays eroges and is willing to act it out in defense of their story. Kobato is adorable as a loli necromancer. Mini beach scene was pretty good. I totally called the twist at the end.

This show isn't exceptional or anything but it's a lot better than I ever expected it to be.

Brazil

One Piece 91

Gol D. Roger?!
Hoooooooooooly shiiiiiiiiiiit, this series.

Arabasta is going to freaking rock.

wonzo

Banned
Glass Fleet: The Legend of the Wind of the Universe 6

a single frame from glass fleet contains more emotion in it than the entirety of one piece logh.

The galaxy in revolution. Renaissance.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm reading all the Nisemonogatari talk in the past few pages and, honestly, that toothbrush scene hardly did anything for me, jokes aside. I didn't feel any sort of enlightenment towards certain fetishism nor do I look upon it with despair or admiration. Maybe I've just been exposed to far worse shit in the past.

It was very nicely animated though!

Toriko 44

Isnt it about time for funimation to give future plan for this?

Anyway I almost thought the pacing was too fast until he threw out the training card. Cool place and fights and next episode seems like it will be epic and more intense.

Oh the exclusive restaurant with access only by airship, why cant we live in the gourmet age.

One Piece 91

Gol D. Roger?!

Yes it is, which reminds me I haven't responded to this post yet.

I take it from your comment that the Arabasta arc is bad?

Aw. I was looking forward to it.

You shouldn't be listening to Hito about OP, especially if you've loved it up to this point. His view of the series is rather outside the norm. Arabasta is generally agreed to be one of the best arcs if not the best. Great fights and potentially the most intimidating antagonist in the series thus far, at least among (spoiler of obvious events)
the ones that have been beaten
. I would even go so far as to say it has one of the best climaxes in the entire medium. Barring maybe 4 or 5 episodes of filler, there is very little to complain about regarding the arc.

No guarantees of course, but from the way you've been talking about the show so far, I say there's virtually no chance you will dislike it. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
One Piece 91

Gol D. Roger?!

I wish so much that I could experience Arabasta for the first time again. Enjoy the ride
and then set your sights lower for Skypiea

jman2050

I'm reading all the Nisemonogatari talk in the past few pages and, honestly, that toothbrush scene hardly did anything for me, jokes aside. I didn't feel any sort of enlightenment towards certain fetishism nor do I look upon it with despair or admiration. Maybe I've just been exposed to far worse shit in the past.

Just confirming what we all knew already: you have no soul!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I dont understand how concentrating on the ball is a weakness though, wouldnt that mean the ball cant be taken from you, though I never played soccer before.
Because it's a distraction. You have to be confident enough to now that the ball is on your feet. When you look at it that's a moment of self-doubt at which the opponent can steal possession from you.
Just confirming what we all knew already: you have no soul!
:( all that ntr doujinshi has taken a toll on me

dimb

There are potentially more provocative scenes in Bakemono. The snake exorcism comes to mind, but the toothbrush scene has a great deal more intimacy to it, which has a pretty strong effect on making the scene seem more revealing.

Soma

Kare Kano Episode 20

Phew I was worried the rest of the series would be like episode 19.

The new character this episode introduced seems kinda cool. His history with Tsubaki seems interesting too. Not much else to say really. Kinda interested to see how their little story goes.

And Yukino is still awesome.

tumblr_luza5aTYYe1qdippyo1_1280.jpg

I also like how Tsubasa seems to be getting smaller and smaller with each episode.

tumblr_lv0rs9AiQa1qdippyo1_500.jpg

Brazil

Yes it is, which reminds me I haven't responded to this post yet.

You shouldn't be listening to Hito about OP, especially if you've loved it up to this point. His view of the series is rather outside the norm. Arabasta is generally agreed to be one of the best arcs if not the best. Great fights and potentially the most intimidating antagonist in the series thus far, at least among (spoiler of obvious events)
the ones that have been beaten
. I would even go so far as to say it has one of the best climaxes in the entire medium. Barring maybe 4 or 5 episodes of filler, there is very little to complain about regarding the arc.

No guarantees of course, but from the way you've been talking about the show so far, I say there's virtually no chance you will dislike it. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

I don't think you'll eat anything. It'll take some kind of major scale disaster to make me dislike anything about this series at this point, honestly.

I dont understand how concentrating on the ball is a weakness though, wouldnt that mean the ball cant be taken from you, though I never played soccer before.
Because' it's a distraction. You have to be confident enough to now that the ball is on your feet. When you look at it that's a moment of self-doubt at which the opponent can steal possession from you.
It's kind of like staring at your own character in a video game instead of focusing on the opposition.

dimb

Oh, I forgot to mention Nise 08 brings the return of staples:
8Rd5f.jpg

In case Araragi studying needed to represent his dedication to Senjougahara more.

Uchip

Banned
One Piece 91

Gol D. Roger?!

Man
you're watching/just finished some of my favourite shows
*gives props*

Actually Arabasta is one of my least favourite arcs, so dont have any preconceptions since they are all very different and appeal differently

madp

The Light of El Cantare
would even go so far as to say it has one of the best climaxes in the entire medium.

Dat
Dvorak's Symphony From the New World 4th Movement
elevating the scene to incredible heights of emotion. The climax is half of the reason that Arabasta is so great. Even you're already enjoying the arc, nothing can prepare you for the end.

Also, it really blew my mind when the concept of the
New World
was introduced in OP thanks to the use of
that piece of music
in the Arabasta climax, whether or not is was coincidental. I'd like to hope it was intentional considering that
Oda regularly foreshadows plot elements years in advance
, in which case the meaning of that scene increases x1000.

I'm
god Enel
yes I'm the
god Enel
All you other
god Enels
are just imitating
So won't the real
god Enel
please stand up, please stand up, please stand up?

Uchip

Banned
So i finally decided to catch up on naruto
going through around 100 episodes of shipuuden (skipping the filler)
they kill off everyone worth a damn, then make most of it redundant
god damn fucking shounen anime, you always do this to me

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Amagami SS+ 08:

I just don't feel like this arc did Kaoru justice. Sure, I understand that the show was trying to explore the
ambiguity surrounding Kaoru and Junichi's relationship status
, but it wasn't fun to watch and the plot that connected the serious scenes together felt like it was hastily pulled from a bag of anime filler plots. I'm pretty disappointed.

Worst waifu is next, but somehow I think her arc will still be better than Kaoru's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom