• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

@ bold: This is where the problem really lies for me (plus that voice from the dub was.. UGH).

Yea I get why he's there but he was so insufferable that it would have been better he wasn't so his "development" was pretty wasted on me by then.

You shouldn't be doing bad things like watching dubs though!*

They should have eliminated the kid and i would enjoy War In The Pocket much more than i currently do.
I thought Albert's character development was one of the most compelling aspects of War in the Pocket. At first he childishly idolizes war like his classmates,
but by the end he has witnessed its harsh reality and can no longer join in wih his classmates' exultation. The resulting dissonance of the final scene is extremely effective and memorable.
It's one of the strongest portrayals of the effect of war on ordinary lives that I've seen in any medium.

Jex

I'd assume by Zaku, you mean the Zaku 2? The original Zaku was boring, if that's what he means. The Zaku 2 is iconic though.

Yes, most of the time I just use 'Zaku' as a short hand for the 'Zaku II' because it's easier to type then that, but you're technically* incorrect.

You shouldn't be doing bad things like watching dubs though!*

I can't help it man :(

I thought Albert's character development was one of the most compelling aspects of War in the Pocket. At first he childishly idolizes war like his classmates,
but by the end he has witnessed its harsh reality and can no longer join in wih his classmates' exultation. The resulting dissonance of the final scene is extremely effective and memorable.
It's one of the strongest portrayals of the effect of war on ordinary lives that I've seen in any medium.

As said he was way too annoying for me to really care as much though i still
liked that twist at the end where he sees that the pilot who killed his new friend was his neigbour and everything he believed in was shattered

My first Gundam series was (surprise) Wing from TV, but a friend convinced me to watch 0080 as a "proper" introduction into the Gundam world and I was blown away. What struck me, even more than Albert's character development, was
how the deaths actually meant something. In Gundam Wing, tens of nameless/faceless pilots got blown away by "IT'S A GUNDAM!" each episode and I found it very difficult to care. In 0080, every character that died (and especially the last one) made a huge impact. That's the mark of a quality show.

Jubern

Animegaf, it's time to show your allegiance:

0080: Bernard Wiseman
08th MS: Shiro Amada
Crossbone: Tobia Arronax

I have a hard time choosing but if I had to rank them it would be:
1. Shiro
2. Bernie
3. Tobia

1. Tobia
2. Tobia
3. Tobia
?

More seriously, 2/3/1

This discussion reminds of a great tear-jerking commercial they did a few years ago for the DVD release of 0080. I think there's more, but I could only find this 15 seconds version :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7F-AJd40Ko

Story behind this is that the voice you hear is teen/adult Al reflecting on the events, and saying "I won't forget you, Bernie".

As some of you guys may know, the original VA for Al really was a kid at the time, and has been replaced by another (female?) actor for newer apparitions. The original actor was Daisuke Namikawa, who you might now know as Brotagonist in P4 or Riddhie in Unicorn.

My first Gundam series was (surprise, surprise) Wing from TV, but a friend convinced me to watch 0080 as a "proper" introduction into the Gundam world and I was blown away. What struck me, even more than Albert's character development, was
how the deaths actually meant something. In Gundam Wing, tens of nameless/faceless pilots got blown away by "IT'S A GUNDAM!" each episode and I found it very difficult to care. In 0080, every character that died (and especially the last one) made a huge impact. That's the mark of a quality show.

I liked that as well
plus it basically was transferred to the suits as well. When one of those things exploded or destroyed the effect on the environment was very impactful (basically you needed to stay the fuck away from these things)

Jex

[Rinne No Lagrange 6 - Vox and real Shuttles]

While a few people have already discussed the action sequence towards the end of the episode already I still want to say my piece.

Pretty much the whole sequence from the initial take off of the two Vox's until all the Vox's are out in space is awesome thanks to the cool flight colours and cloud designs. I mean, just look at this image progression:

RinneNoLagrange61.png

RinneNoLagrange63.png

RinneNoLagrange64.png

What's interesting is how heavily this whole sequence borrows from space shuttle night-launches and the imagery of rocket/shuttle take off in general. You know the ones I mean, the kind that look like this:

Shuttle-Launch-Video.jpg

In case you still don't see where I'm coming from:

RinneNoLagrange68.png

RinneNoLagrange610.png

Night-Shuttle-Launch.jpg

423965main_launch2-m_1024-768.jpg

Night launches of rockets and shuttles are look even cooler than day launches because of the sharp contrast in lighting and the ability for the soaring rocket to pierce the black sky with light.

Borrowing the imagery of these night-launches brings a pretty clear benefit in that it makes the action sequence feel real and 'weighty' because the imagery of made-up science fiction vessels taking to the sky becomes more believable because you're linking it to real imagery from real events. Or at least, you are if your brain works like my brain.

Having the time for the battle transition from night to day via dawn was a master-stoke as well, demonstrating that whoever in charge of the cinematography and lighting understands what kind of images look good almost inherently.

There's some pretty neat transitions in the action sequence. One in particular that I'd like to draw attention to is:

RinneNoLagrange612.png

RinneNoLagrange614.png

RinneNoLagrange615.png

RinneNoLagrange616.png

Sure, they use clouds rushing past the camera to mask the transition from Vox to missile, but because there's never a cut and because the shot maintains it moment from start to finish it works a lot better than a standard "cut from object a to object b" because that would totally kill the kinetic movement of speed that they're trying to engender through the cinematography.

Morris

Disco Devil
Sailor Moon 43

tLq8t.png

This monster was by far the most annoying and random monster yet. Banban.

Rhododendrons are beautiful. Banban.

Usagi needs acting classes. Banban.

BANBAN.

wonzo

Banned
Natsume 7

I don't really like the multi-episode arcs when compared to the usually episodic nature of the show but I actually found this two-parter rather enjoyable mostly due to the mix of characters and how they were utilised, especially
nyanko-sensei posing as Natsume
. dat human form nyanko-sensei.

Instro

Ano Natsu 6

ik7kkPLIz1RrP.jpg

Oh we've got a real harem now. Remon continues to be a great troll, I like the way she pretty much facilitates a lot of the drama. She really steals the show at times with her antics.

iavi

Lagrange looks to be as beautifully produced as ever. Almost makes me want to start it back up. Those clouds.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Dennou Coil 16

Another excellent episode. Dennou Coil continues to have wonderful pacing, and the mystery is still steadily building. What stands out in particular is how naturally new information is revealed, and new mysteries discovered. Isako's
reason for visiting the hospital, her comatose brother, were unknown for several episodes. When Yasako questioned her about it, she immediately said what was going on. No forced mystery, no silly "let's ignore x for y arbitrary reason", and the end result was far better than that kind of lame storytelling. The one flaw in this episode was Haraken's aunt's conversation with mysterious guy x. It fell right into the trap of "that". "THAT THING that happened 4 years ago is happening again." "yes, we need to watch out for THAT" At least give the incident a name, like the human instrumentality project or something, anything would be better than THAT. Dennou Coil has managed to avoid it most of the time, but even a show as good as this one can't be perfect.

Articalys

Ano Natsu de Matteru 6

It's amazing how much the last two episodes have turned the show around for me. The ending of this one especially was great, including the BGM.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure 02:

p38cel.jpg

If only I could be so grossly incandescent!

Okay, I'm finally starting to feel the series. Even if the main characters are pretty straightforward archetypes, they still manage to be pretty endearing and I predict very good chemistry once everyone is assembled. The best part of the episode? What else:

http://i.imgur.com/QMIhCl.jpg

CURE FUCKING SUNNY AWW YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Out of the Precure series I've seen,
Sunny
is by far the most hotblooded evar. She's awesome. What better to shake up the precure formula than a dose of GAR?

Smile also has great expressions. Not quite Heartcatch-level good, but there's plenty to d'awwwwwww and hnnnnnnnng at. Some examples:

http://i.imgur.com/ASr8Al.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bCEY8l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HkfsRl.jpg

Yeah, I'm sold on the show.

P.S. this is ulysses if you couldn't tell by the avatar. It was in my best interests to request a name change due to.......reasons.

EDIT: full member get! I SURVIVED.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey guys, it's BL Mondays!

S4w0Ml.jpg

enzOpl.jpg

I totally get why fangirls ship the way they ship.

AnoNatsu is also still amazing.
0wVttl.jpg

And hey, it's Sailor Mars!
nvxWFl.jpg

An amazing Monday for animu, that's for sure.

Another 5+6
Okay, it's actually interesting now. And Mei is moe as fuck.

I can't make up my mind about Kouichi being the ghost. On the one hand, it should be impossible since his dad is outside the range of the curse. On the other, the show was kind of blatant in contrasting Countermeasure-chan's "He can't be the ghost because he was never in this town before" with the dad's "lol you were in that town before."

Also,
I think the show might have been just as good(if not better) if they did the info dump earlier and left the legitimacy of the curse up in the air for awhile. The faux-nonexistence and the relationship between Kouichi and Mei are a lot more interesting than Final Destination: the Animu.

Thank you, PdotMichael. I wouldn't have picked the show back up if you hadn't posted those trollshots.

It won't help you respect anything else they've made, but it'll at least open your eyes to the true potential the Gainax staff has, if they didn't sell out to fame and fortune instead.
Unfortunately it is not a perfect world, so the people spat in their faces and the movie bombed. Unable to get funding for anything like this again, they turned to the only other subject matter they knew best: young girls and giant robots. Hence Gainax as we know them
ಠ_ಠ Gunbuster didn't start coming out until the following year, and while it was a success it was only an OVA. Was Nadia selling out? I assume you think Evangelion was selling out.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ano Natsu de Matteru 06:

And this show continues to deliver the goods! :D Wrestling with the knowledge presented at the end of last week's episode, a brief and needed interruption of an Okinawa trip is bestowed upon our favorite characters (thanks, Tetsuro's sister!). Kanna is natually tsundere over her bikini, but Ichika once again completely outdoes her with her Baywatch Bounce™.

AN06_01.jpg

AN06_02_02.jpg

Yes, even Tetsuro, ever so hung up on Kanna, cannot deny the glory! I won't leave you Kanna fans hanging though. Beach Volleyball times!

AN06_03.jpg

But suddenly, A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!!!!!

AN06_04.jpg

Her name is Kaori, and apparently Kaito had a nickname of Umi-chan (that's what she calls him), and apparently Kaito was her first love and thinks their reuniting in Okinawa is destiny.

Ichika... is not amused.

Kanna... is equally unamused.

Remon... is totally amused as she now has a ton more trolling opportunities than ever before. Uu fuu fuu fuu...

At least Kaori's friend takes a liking to Tetsuro, proving that there is more than one male member of the cast (lest this show act like every other harem show on the planet where the MC is apparently the only one with a penis within the nearest 200 miles or something!) Her name is Arisawa Chiharu by the by.
Tetsuro, I like you. Despite having a massive crush on Kanna, you took Arisawa's number because you're smart and don't rule out anything. Why can't more anime guys be as believable as you?
Ichika and Kanna make sure that Kaito knows they're unamused, and tag-teaming at that.

Kaori's pretty darn cute, but Kaito initially thinks
something is wrong and that she's just pretending to like him to distract herself, but then she asks him what if she were serious. But I liked how Kaito resolved the issue by stating what he actually said ("I said I didn't have a girlfriend") and admitted he had someone he loved (Ichika). Unlike other anime MCs who leave girls hanging so they can hang in the harem, he told her straight up that he's serious about who he's in love with. It was sad to see her cry though. ;_;

And HOLY SHIT at Arisawa trying to force herself on Tetsuro! HOLY SHIT!! XD But Mio to the rescue!! LET THE CLIFFHANGERS COMMENCE!!!

WHY ISN'T IT NEXT WEEK YET?!?!?! :mad:

Thoraxes

[Rinne No Lagrange 6 - Vox and real Shuttles]

While a few people have already discussed the action sequence towards the end of the episode already I still want to say my piece.

Pretty much the whole sequence from the initial take off of the two Vox's until all the Vox's are out in space is awesome thanks to the cool flight colours and cloud designs. I mean, just look at this image progression:

Sure, they use clouds rushing past the camera to mask the transition from Vox to missile, but because there's never a cut and because the shot maintains it moment from start to finish it works a lot better than a standard "cut from object a to object b" because that would totally kill the kinetic movement of speed that they're trying to engender through the cinematography.

I guess I would also point out using these two gifs to further show that in motion as well (though one of them starts in the clouds rushing and finishes more of the "launch sequence" that rockets have when changing sized thrusters to exit the atmosphere as they transition to get away from the greatest gravitational pull)

1 and 2

Gintama 246

Few things make me feel as hot-blooded as when Gintama pulls out all the stops. The action scenes were fantastic - great animation and direction.

Joule

Amagami SS+ 6: Bromehara saving his bro from the cram school yakuza. Dude needs to get his props. Shoulda hooked up with the teacher.

That's the end of Nanasaki's arc. She really is the normal one out of the lot. Normal problems, normal personality, normal worries, normal yellow coat... Well now she has new one though I liked the plain yellow + school uniform combo. I do feel like the problem of this arc was a little dumb though. Cram school yakuza. Really. Nanasaki's loneliness is fine though could of used more exposure but Junichi's reason for being locked away was pretty dumb. The belly button pillow is going to be hard to top.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Amagami SS+ 6: Bromehara saving his bro from the cram school yakuza. Dude needs to get his props. Shoulda hooked up with the teacher.

That's the end of Nanasaki's arc. She really is the normal one out of the lot. Normal problems, normal personality, normal worries, normal yellow coat... Well now she has new one though I liked the plain yellow + school uniform combo. I do feel like the problem of this arc was a little dumb though. Cram school yakuza. Really. Nanasaki's loneliness is fine though could of used more exposure but Junichi's reason for being locked away was pretty dumb. The belly button pillow is going to be hard to top.
That'll probably end up being the WTF moment of the series, surely.

Thoraxes

Ano Natsu de Matteru 06

Hell yeah Kinoshita. I think she became my favorite even though she's new.
Two fufufufufufufufu-
Overall, I just like the pace this show is going at, and I enjoy most of the cast, but oddly enough Kaito the least.

That'll probably end up being the WTF moment of the series, surely.
I just want to know how they're going to continue the Sae arc considering how shitty they made it compared to the original good end results in the game. (though to be fair, I don't think that would've made a good end for the show arc though)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ano Natsu de Matteru 06:

Her name is Kaori, and apparently Kaito had a nickname of Umi-chan (that's what she calls him), and apparently Kaito was her first love and thinks their reuniting in Okinawa is destiny.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that he had Umi on his shirt when they were in the jungle/forest/whatever together at the end of the episode.

Well, it says "Beach Bum" (I assume?), but close enough!

I just want to know how they're going to continue the Sae arc considering how shitty they made it compared to the original good end results in the game. (though to be fair, I don't think that would've made a good end for the show arc though)
How did that arc end in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom