• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that he had Umi on his shirt when they were in the jungle/forest/whatever together at the end of the episode.

Well, it says "Beach Bum" (I assume?), but close enough!

How did that arc end in the game?

He basically gets her preggers in the theater, and then a timeskip happens, and we're shown a pregnant Sae a little under 9 months in the future. Teen pregnancy I guess isn't really on the table for the show though.

wonzo

Banned
Space Pirates 2

This ep would make a pretty good sleeping aid.

He basically gets her preggers in the theater, and then a timeskip happens, and we're shown a pregnant Sae a little under 9 months in the future. Teen pregnancy I guess isn't really on the table for the show though.
that sounds much better than whet we ended up with in the anime

wonzo

Banned
I raged when the anime end was "HEY I'M A PENGUIN UGUUUUU~"
at least we got miya in a cat outfit

miyanyan.gif

Did you get it from "buynowlv" ? They shipped mine in a box last year.
I had to check to see (because the moment I saw the price my mind went in auto-pilot), but, yes, it's buynowiv people. Makes me feel better, at least.

Typically, my stuff ships okay, but every once in a while I end up with a loose disc in the case or a small, interior thing chipped off. My RahXephon cases had some strange indenture in the bottom of them, so I don't know what happened there. I liked how they actually padded the discs with a large disc-shaped foam thing though, haha.

Lagrange 6
tumblr_lzbdxfeJpZ1r9c51co1_500.gif

Now this is what the anime should be about, wholly. Everything was so epic, just needed to actually let Kirius get involved..and where did Array go? The take off sequence of the rocket was awesome as was the
beam blast ---> cratar near miss of home base
, my mind was blown, these production values for graphics are awesome.

Muginami sealed her fate for me for becoming essentially Inoue level, such a terrible character in this anime and worthless. Worst character this season.
She honestly couldnt fight back after all he did to hear :(

Uchip

Banned
FMA Movie

filthy illegal immigrants with Mexican names getting shot trying to cross the border?
classy

Jintor

My local (read: Australian) anime distribution company (there's only one here... well, two, I guess, but Siren doesn't have enough sway to pick up anything really) just sent around their catalogue. I guess they're pushing Madoka as 'the most highly anticipated anime of 2012'.

I'm sure they know that everybody who was 'anticipating' Madoka already pirated the shit out of it. This model needs a fucking shake-up.

My local (read: Australian) anime distribution company (there's only one here... well, two, I guess, but Siren doesn't have enough sway to pick up anything really) just sent around their catalogue. I guess they're pushing Madoka as 'the most highly anticipated anime of 2012'.

I'm sure they know that everybody who was 'anticipating' Madoka already pirated the shit out of it. This model needs a fucking shake-up.

I hope its cheaper than 50-74.99 for "only" four episodes for you all.

Risette

A Good Citizen

Siren licensed Trapeze. They're good people.

Mature

The Vision of Escaflowne 3-5
6zWYi.png

This is what happens when your militant, shadowy government employs pre-pubescent boys in combat.

This show has a pretty fantastic rate of plot progression. Even for those old shows which were pretty good at stringing you along. It's also notably nostalgic watching it. I mean, naturally it would be, but everything from the art to the plot has a warm air of that 90's quality around it.

iammeiam

6zWYi.png

This is what happens when your militant, shadowy government employs pre-pubescent boys in combat.

For some reason the most nostalgic part of that picture, for me, is the hair going all translucent over his eye.

I don't know if it's not a thing anymore, or if I just don't notice it anymore, but man that takes me back to the days of eight-volume DVD releases.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
6zWYi.png

This show has a pretty fantastic rate of plot progression. Even for those old shows which were pretty good at stringing you along. It's also notably nostalgic watching it. I mean, naturally it would be, but everything from the art to the plot has a warm air of that 90's quality around it.

I remember when I first saw the end of Episode 4... man that sent shivers down my spine at how awesome it was! :D

Mature

For some reason the most nostalgic part of that picture, for me, is the hair going all translucent over his eye.

I don't know if it's not a thing anymore, or if I just don't notice it anymore, but man that takes me back to the days of eight-volume DVD releases.
Actually, yeah, I'm right there with you, haha.

It most reminds me of Team Rocket's James hair and eyes doing that.
tumblr_ly0nbcFwYJ1qknffvo1_500.png

And Aniplex USA ain't helping the situation. Hopefully the prices for Madoka aren't absurd there too.

Instro

Dirty Pair: Affair of Nolandia

iW0JbCr9PSim8.jpg
ibo6f5MsEiQ7d7.jpg

This was rather disappointing coming off of the great TV series. Basically the plot of Affair of Nolandia sets Kei and Yuri on a mission to find a missing girl who also happens to have telepathic powers which are being abused by some bad guy. The narrative was pretty poorly explained at times, with events happening without explanation and a number of questions left unanswered. This is strange since it is the same writer as the TV series, so I can only attribute it to the director, which is something that carries over to the rest of the production since there are quite a few poor and confusing cuts, especially during the early going that make the OVA kind of confusing at times.

That's not really the biggest issue I have with this though. The whole tone of the OVA was not only way too serious, but often just downright strange. There is very little comedy throughout, and when it does show up it just feels out of place. It almost has a case of tone whiplash at times, completely unlike what I have come to expect from Dirty Pair. As I mentioned the OVA gets a bit weird at times , and when I say weird I'm talking tentacle rape weird. The crux of the plot is that the missing girl can use her powers to create illusions/nightmares/etc. For whatever reason the staff thought it would be a good idea to use this angle to create illusions of Kei and Yuri basically getting raped by tentacle aliens, amongst other strange imagery. This ties back into the tone whiplash bit I mentioned earlier because in the 2nd half the illusions are used for comedy effect. Honestly you can never really get a laugh in because the jokes, rare as they are, usually come right in between some rather heavy elements.

iybY8itbTzlSg.jpg
iNyvFXBpvTa8b.jpg

Visually the animation is a step above the TV series, however the character art is quite a bit different as you can see in some of my images. I'm assuming this was designed to go well with the more serious nature of the OVA, but I didn't like what they did to Key and Yuri. It didn't look right, but I suppose it fits the atmosphere at least, I certainly couldn't see the normal character art working at all with the tone here. Also, Mughi is colored black for some reason. I couldn't figure why they did that. I thought they did a pretty good job with the backgrounds and mechanical designs, for what its worth.

The music was probably the one thing that I could actually call good here. Outside of a few weak tracks, there were a number of pieces that actually impressed me and went quite well with what was happening on screen.

Overall: too serious, poorly directed, lame character art....and tentacles.

Mature

"The most highly anticipated" means that a half-dozen will people remember that it will be available for purchase.

iavi

If Aniplex USA released Trapeze on blu-ray I'd buy that for hundreds of dollars

Wasn't this recently listed on Funi's 'want do you want us to bring over' poll? Not like that even means much, but at least it's thought of, lol. (As was The Tatami Galaxy, for which I'd pay a good amount of coin for, myself. )

Risette

A Good Citizen
People complaining about Aniplex USA pricing better get used to it or get prepared to stop buying anime.

Personally, the pricing isn't the issue. I just wish they would bring out things better than Fate/zero (lol) or Meduca (also lol.) Like, say, if Bandai Visual restarted USA operations and brought out something like Future Boy Conan for like $400 with subs, I'd probably spring for it.

Mirai Nikki 18
tumblr_lzbhdo7CbL1qmlotno1_250.jpg

Either I was looking to closely or there were just numerous moments like these, tacky.

Awesome episode.
Yuki was epic wow, Yuno even got in a hit and gave me a good laugh when she was in class questioning how Yuki could go with Wakaba, of all people. Cant wait to see if Yuki can truly win this

madp

The Light of El Cantare

wtf seriously?

I suppose it's the ultimate condemnation of her boring, boring character that her biggest charm point is
the ability to make babies
. I'm okay with them going in an anime-original direction for her SS+ arc.

iavi

Somebody over at The Fandom Post actually started a thread today with the title "Should Japanese otaku boycott high priced anime for the greater good?"

And destroy the industry for good? It's not as if it would have a purse-string to fall back on were there to be a boycott, and the medium isn't suddenly going to move the units to make up for the loss of revenue lower prices would bring. It's a niche; a weird position, and unless there's a serious paradigm-shift of sorts, I don't ever see the industry moving away from it.

Cwarrior

Fullmetal Alchemist sacred star of Milos

mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ano Natsu de Matteru 6

Remon's trolling pretty much makes this show. Despite all the drama going on, the show keeps a light hearted enough tone that it mostly works. Though this episode went pretty heavy with the fan service.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mirai Nikki 18
I must have missed the memo about this show turning into a bad comedy.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ano Natsu de Matteru 6

Remon's trolling pretty much makes this show. Despite all the drama going on, the show keeps a light hearted enough tone that it mostly works. Though this episode went pretty heavy with the fan service.

Beach episodes have a way of doing that. :p

Thoraxes

wtf seriously?

I suppose it's the ultimate condemnation of her boring, boring character that her biggest charm point is
the ability to make babies
. I'm okay with them going in an anime-original direction for her SS+ arc.

Dead serious. The anime made me rage, but it was handled nicely in the game, and her's was probably the most unique in that aspect, as far as her age went.

Also dat namechange.

Instro

Another 6

Haha that dream sequence was brilliant. This was a solid episode all around, lots of interesting exposition about what is happening. Looks like shit is going down next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom