• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam Age 20
tumblr_lzxp79oJwE1r8f7gfo1_500.gif

I should have never doubted the Age-2, this episode was pretty epic, one of the best battles in the series thus far. Intense speed action, beam warfare, asteroid jarring impacts, epic.
It even had friendship too, which was cool. And Desil as well, whom aged much less than I expected. Best personality. Have to wonder if Asemu will awaken to X-rounder powers next episodes.

Zeydra best vegan mobile suit.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You're still stating with the expectation that I just believe. Ineffective. What kind of possibilities are we looking at? If you're going to run around calling viewpoints shallow, you need to do more than voice ego when backing it up.
I'm not voicing ego -- you're being way too hostile simply because I highly disagree with your view point. I'm just giving my side of the argument, I'm not trying to sway you over to my side because I know you're too stuck in your ways (which I disagree with!) and view of me to give anything I say real consideration. I know you. Why bother?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Cure Moonlight episodes are the best episodes! The fight was kind of boring, but the story sections were good as usual, I like Yuri's character since it's not something you usually see.

Next episode looks like it's stuffed with references and Kumojacky's manly spirit, should be fun.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm sure it moves well but Redline's art style is too off-putting to me.
I can't see myself watching it.
What's wrong with it? It's a fairly nice and stylish (but not too heavily stylized) artstyle.

I could see how people could not love it, but dislike it to be put off from watching it? huh.

iavi

Blade of the Immortal 2

Enter: Villians, sidekick, and sidekick's motive. Also, what a weird bgm choice for a rape scene. I have no clue what they were going for there. Heavy shit is going down, and this almost comical insert song (which they've used before) starts playing. A dissonance up the whazoo. The band of evil brothers seem pretty typical, with the usual bishie at the head.

Blade of the Immortal 3

Ok, enemy of the episode's a freak, probably in bed too, but on the outside more importantly. He subscribes to the typical animue freak ideology of 'death is the maiden's most beautiful moment,' and to act on that
kills them. beheads them. and sews their crowns to his shoulders.
wut. That fight was incredibly anti-climatic, and the enemy was just plain dumb. I'm also beginning to see a pattern to these fights.

Rinne no Lagrange 8
Finally we get some much needed exposition. It's not the most exciting episode, but they already put off explaining anything long enough. There are yet more tone shifts between (and during) episodes, and I think this inconsistency makes it hard to take all the talk of impending doom seriously.
What was the point of grounding only one of the Vox? It seems like a silly plot contrivance that only Madoka gets grounded.

Kagami

What's wrong with it? It's a fairly nice and stylish (but not too heavily stylized) artstyle.

I could see how people could not love it, but dislike it to be put off from watching it? huh.
I'm not sure how good a job I can do of putting into words what I find ugly about it, but the colors scheme is gaudy and tacky to me, and I'm not a fan of the heavy shadows/shading on everything. It reminds me of stuff like Aeon Flux.

Instro

Rinne no Lagrange 8
Finally we get some much needed exposition. It's not the most exciting episode, but they already put off explaining anything long enough. There are yet more tone shifts between (and during) episodes, and I think this inconsistency makes it hard to take all the talk of impending doom seriously.
What was the point of grounding only one of the Vox? It seems like a silly plot contrivance that only Madoka gets grounded.

It was grounded because of that weird flower thing it did in episode 6.

wonzo

Banned
Rinne no Lagrange 8

I believe in Wan!
It's good to see the story start to pick-up some more although I'm kinda worried they might leave us on a cliff-hanger until this starts airing again in July. I'm kinda gland yet somewhat disappointed that the Legend wasn't anywhere near as macabre as I expected it to be.

I actually loved the Speed Racer movie. *hides*
Yeah, the Speed Racer movie is the shit!

Thoraxes

Rinne no Lagrange 8

I think more of it will be revealed later, but I have a feeling that after
they activate whatever the fuck that was at the end of episode 6 with the Aura, they pose a greater threat the next time the user goes into battle or something to start the blossoming.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I actually loved the Speed Racer movie. *hides*
There's no shame in it, it's legitimately a good movie, even the characterization and writing is geninenly good!
Narratological depth, which is a substance 'stlye' can't be. Any good movie needs it, imo.
That's silly because film is a visual medium, are you saying "genre" flicks can't be as good as the average DEEP oscarbait drama because it doesn't aspire to be any-more than it is in regards to narrative depth? >:

Ultimadrago

Black Lion (Dub)

I watched this for the reportedly funnily,bad old dub. I was not disappointed.
The sudden scene transitions also had me chuckling a bit. The gore also had me laughing.

What is a man?

A miserable little pile of chocolate pudding.

I think the story is meant to be taken semi-seriously, but I found the whole thing light-hearted. It was probably due to the dub, where the most common emotion portrayed is "mildy amused." Some of the ending actions were laughable.
Head goes off zaps people, returns to body slowly. Arm chopped off, scream for 2 seconds. Then, not noticing it regenerating.

I have a good chuckle with oldies like this. Smirk on my face and healing beginnings.
Think I'll start Usagi Drop next...or Garzey's Wing Dub.

Guilty Crown 18

I hope he loses some more limbs.

Dangit, I was happy with dropping it until I heard about/saw him losing limbs. It's tempting me to pick it back up...or at least find a compilation of massive "Uh-Oh's of Guilty Crown" video

Are the shorts for before of after?

They take place chronologically throughout the season (ie 3.5, 6.5, 8.5), but can be watched after if you want.

It was grounded because of that weird flower thing it did in episode 6.

Yeah, I overlooked that specific issue, though it seems to me that
the other Vox are still a risk to go flower mode. Grounding just one of them is a big risk when the world is at stake.

I think more of it will be revealed later, but I have a feeling that after
they activate whatever the fuck that was at the end of episode 6 with the Aura, they pose a greater threat the next time the user goes into battle or something to start the blossoming.

This explanation makes sense, I suppose we don't know enough about the
flower thing
to say.

iavi

I'm not voicing ego -- you're being way too hostile simply because I highly disagree with your view point. I'm just giving my side of the argument, I'm not trying to sway you over to my side because I know you're too stuck in your ways (which I disagree with!) and view of me to give anything I say real consideration. I know you. Why bother?

No, on a few accounts. I may be coming across salty, but that's because of real-world stuff; a bad mood hardly because you disagree with me. And I apologize for that, but frankly; I don't even respect your opinion enough at the moment to get upset at your discord (as ass as that sounds), and seeing as how you're not going to actually back your argument (or can't), I guess it's staying that way.

Your saying that I'm stuck in my ways is a cop-out, nothing more. I've gotten into plenty of silly debates here, and have come to understandings/agreements/changed views. I'm not going to armchair and pretend as I have some deeper understanding on the subject--film, specifically--but even then if you're going to call a view out, as small/uneducated as it is, you have to actually substantiate the criticism. Or, it's akin to nothing more than me saying your an idiot, and you basically having to believe it. Hardly productive discourse. I'm always open to learning more.

Because as is, even if not with dialogues, I see the silver screen as a visual story-telling medium. I believe that those stories need to have some depth, again whether that be through sight or sound. The story-telling medium not delivering in its purpose of effectively telling a story, individual interpretation being another factor all together, means it didn't make for good product. What you've said doesn't actually contest anything I've said, aside from you just calling the package a name.

'Varied,' 'dynamic,' 'open,' within context, what purpose do those even serve aside from being buzzwords?

That's silly because film is a visual medium, are you saying "genre" flicks can't be as good as the average DEEP oscarbait drama because it doesn't aspire to be any-more than it is in regards to narrative depth? >:

That's the gist of it.

Thoraxes

This explanation makes sense, I suppose we don't know enough about the
flower thing
to say.
The other thing too, is that they refer to the
blossoming of the Flower of Lagrange and the blossoming of the Circle of Rin-ne as two different events, which leads me to believe that there may be some difference between the two as well as how they're initiated.

DTL, please teach me how to make awesome animated gif like yours.
It's not that hard, but it's easier if you own the right software. I bought a bunch of adobe software through school, so I just use most of that for mine.

Instro

Yeah, I overlooked that specific issue, though it seems to me that
the other Vox are still a risk to go flower mode. Grounding just one of them is a big risk when the world is at stake.

Pretty much, it's a somewhat meaningless plot development in that sense.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Controversial Opinion Anime-GAF

I'd probably rather watch a Boy's Love anime over a Girl's Love anime, and I'm straight.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Controversial Opinion Anime-GAF

I'd probably rather watch a Boy's Love anime over a Girl's Love anime, and I'm straight.
I wish more anime had yaoi overtones than yuri tbh; especially with the non-anime film I watched last night.:p

Narag

Shin Mazinger Z 1

So many introductions, so much awesome.

G Gundam 5

Figures Neo Russia wouldn't play fair. Fantastic fight against the Bolt Gundam though. My biggest surprise from the series so far is the excellent soundtrack.

Getter Robo 2

Called attacks are so much better this episode despite Getter Robo evidently being destroyed and needing to be rebuilt.
Musashi's phobia of reptiles was a liability when it comes to fighting the Dinoasaur Empire. How does Hayato fix this? He locks the poor guy up in a room with frogs and snakes for an hour.

rBfvW.png

Articalys

The other thing too, is that they refer to the
blossoming of the Flower of Lagrange and the blossoming of the Circle of Rin-ne as two different events, which leads me to believe that there may be some difference between the two as well as how they're initiated.
Yeah, I was wondering about that as well.
The one Moid was going crazy over at the end of episode 7 was the blossoming of Rin-ne, right?

Thoraxes

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well.
The one Moid was going crazy over at the end of episode 7 was the blossoming of Rin-ne, right?

That's what i'm assuming as well
because Moid speaks about being wary of those who oppose the blossoming of it, which I assume it's the council he's referring to as Space Tiger was trying to force it (which did happen). It's either that, or each Vox has a specific power (i'm basing this on the prophecy) that occurs under an intense emotional situation.

Risette

A Good Citizen
No, on a few accounts. I may be coming across salty, but that's because of real-world stuff; a bad mood hardly because you disagree with me. And I apologize for that, but frankly; I don't even respect your opinion enough at the moment to get upset at your discord (as ass as that sounds), and seeing as how you're not going to actually back your argument (or can't), I guess it's staying that way.
That's pretty rude. I've made many constructive posts and you don't respect a thing I have to say? I'm not buying your forced apology or likely made up explanation.

Your saying that I'm stuck in my ways is a cop-out, nothing more. I've gotten into plenty of silly debates here, and have come to understandings/agreements/changed views. I'm not going to armchair and pretend as I have some deeper understanding on the subject--film, specifically--but even then if you're going to call a view out, as small/uneducated as it is, you have to actually substantiate the criticism.
I'm not going for criticism, I'm merely stating my disagreement. Ideally, with my disagreement in mind, you could try to understand why I disagree -- maybe by just thinking about my stances on things or reading more in the future instead of expecting me to lay everything out for you.

Or, it's akin to nothing more than me saying your an idiot, and you basically having to believe it. Hardly productive discourse. I'm always open to learning more.
I'm not calling you an idiot by any means. This is you looking into things because of a preconceived (& incorrect) view you have of me. What I said is what I mean -- I'm stating my disagreement. Nothing more.

Because as is, even if not with dialogues, I see the silver screen as a visual story-telling medium. I believe that those stories need to have some depth, again whether that be through sight or sound.
The thing with film is that it's not just a visual storytelling medium -- it's a form of visual expression. A deep story can be a part of this, but it doesn't have to be.

'Varied,' 'dynamic,' 'open,' within context, what purpose do those even serve aside from being buzzwords?
Possibilities.

iavi

I see nothing wrong that. Boy's Love isn't overly fanservice is and usually has a more romantic story than Girl's Love.

I don't think so, myself. I just spent last night reading a few BL mangas, and looking through the animes to try and get some perspective...it's actually WORSE, from what I could find translated/subbed. Nothing but the strictest adherence to the seme/uku structure, silly 'I just want to fuck' narratives, all of it. I'm sure there's some good stuff out there, but hell...

Thank you all for your recommendations!!! I've got a lot to look forward too now! I am excite!

So many hidden mecha gems recommended there that I'm surprised I've never heard of them before, but to have not found or heard of them and then find out about them like this... well, I'm sure that I'm in for a good period of Anime'gasmic future :)

There's something I'd like to ask as well... I seem to recall seeing something some time about a witch or a witch sister or somtehing and it was based on magic and was medieval or whatever and I can remember I think I liked it but I have no idea what it was called or what it is... perhaps I just saw one episode at a friends house or something one time... I remember thinking to myself "oooh I've got to watch this" but never remembered until now.

Also, while many of those recommendations were Mecha based, I'm wondering if there are any more Medieval / any Medieval, swords and Knights and Elves and Magic and Dragon type anime?

Could you guys make some of those type of recommendations? Heh... sorry for asking so much of you all :)

Oh boy, this argument again.

Does it really matter when all it comes down to is opinion in the end? Everyone likes different things... but I can surely say that personally I have found that anime in recent times has surely declined in quality (but that is not the visual aspect) because the animation is so much superior, it's so hard to find the gems in all the drivel.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I watched the first episode of the newest season, not realizing it was the 4th season. I probably should go back and watch the first season.
It's pretty BL. It does the male equivalent of girls squeezing each other's breasts for shiggles... which entails guys standing close to each other and giving each other semi-longing looks.

Well, season 3 and 4 anyway.

Verelios

It's pretty BL. It does the male equivalent of girls squeezing each other's breasts for shiggles... which entails guys standing close to each other and giving each other semi-longing looks.

Well, season 3 and 4 anyway.

Oh well, I'm on season two ep 5, and I began to think that, that was just me reading too far into things. Guess I gotta hop.

Branduil

Does it really matter when all it comes down to is opinion in the end? Everyone likes different things... but I can surely say that personally I have found that anime in recent times has surely declined in quality (but that is not the visual aspect) because the animation is so much superior, it's so hard to find the gems in all the drivel.

Of course it doesn't matter. We've just had this argument a million times before and no one has really changed their mind on it.

Also, while many of those recommendations were Mecha based, I'm wondering if there are any more Medieval / any Medieval, swords and Knights and Elves and Magic and Dragon type anime?

Could you guys make some of those type of recommendations? Heh... sorry for asking so much of you all :)
Haven't seen it, but I know Slayers has a pretty fond reputation.
I'm getting to it, I promise!

If you're up for something pretty crazy (with a nice helping of pointlessly topless women) the movie Legend of Lemnear was entertaining, if only because it goes crazy towards the end. Not for everyone, though.

Dragonhalf is probably a bit too cutesy, but it's only two episodes and fun.

I'm not well versed in them enough, but I would assume (from my passing moments with them) that Reign the Conqueror, Bastard, and Berserk. Maybe Arc the Lad too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom