• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
This episode was all about
Cure Moonlight kicking ass.

Easily the best animated episode yet, the first 2/3's was just one long fight scene. Now Yuri's situation has been resolved for the moment, so it's back to normal stuff next episode.
Cologne didn't last long. :(

Itsuki and Potpourri are so adorable together,
they're the best precure/fairy pair.

Master Keaton 15-17

Military dogs are geniuses. Disabling traps and stuff everywhere.

It is interesting how people can even use a negative emotion like anger as fuel for inspiration. Even when faced with a chance to get revenge, Fender just wishes for a father to hate instead of a father to pity or even love. The human mind (and the arts) are a complex thing.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Paprika at least has some visually inventive sequences that are pure joy to watch, all inception has going for it, is shit characters, shit dialogue and shit action scenes.>:

Ultimadrago

Fate/Zero 11:
Grail
Dialogue

PCXpE.gif

THAT's what I'm talkin' about

Have I mentioned that I love Rider? I love Rider.

And DTL, I now appreciate Archer. I dunno, I guess I just had to get more material to flesh out his genre of smugness. I really liked him in this episode.

It was much more talk than I was expecting, but it was informative, entertaining and the tension made me awkwardly laugh several times (in a good way).

Dat
Noble Phantasm was da bomb!
I wonder how it'll be countered in the future.

Now, as much as I liked this episode. I must cite a fat panda that once said, "ENOUGH TALK, LET'S FIGHT!"

Dresden

Dat

Speculation, but I'll spoiler it anyways:

Well it has to be Archer, right? Magic weapon spam vs. magic soldier spam. I can't picture anyone else in the show up to the task. Especially not Saber, lolz.

Ultimadrago

Speculation, but I'll spoiler it anyways:

Well it has to be Archer, right? Magic weapon spam vs. magic soldier spam. I can't picture anyone else in the show up to the task. Especially not Saber, lolz.

Makes sense. Only ponder is that
I'd think of it as pretty wasteful for them to kill off Assassin to see the Phantasm just to answer with the move that's Archer's constant Bread n Butta anyways.
But yeah, I definitely see that speculation as possible.

Plus, it'd be pretty badass to see in that scope, so a part of me is hoping that happens.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's nothing like that later though. It genre shifts relatively quickly and pretty much becomes battles + meta-humor. It's kind of what Gintama would be if it was 90% battles and 10% comedy instead of the other way around.

Not really. As in, it's nothing like Gintama whatsoever, unless you count 4th-wall breaking jokes as exclusively Gintama's realm. There's no similarity in characters, story, or humor. Medaka Box is what you get when Nisioisin tries and fails to write a good battle/comedy shonen.

Hmmm, looks interesting. Wonder if I should hold off on the manga and just watch this.

The anime is going to adapt the entire manga, so I would say just watch the anime first.

Branduil

Bodacious Space Pirates 1

iM3sBT4zj20L.jpg

Well, where did you think all those movies and games on unmarked DVDs came from?

This feels like false advertising, given that they are neither actual pirates, nor are they particularly bodacious, unless you count green lipstick. Still, they do indeed go into space, and there seems to be some actual thought put into some of the sci-fi aspects. Plus it has Chiaki Omigawa.

It's pretty bland visually and aurally, with ugly CGI ships and cars, but that seems to be the norm these days.

Not really. As in, it's nothing like Gintama whatsoever, unless you count 4th-wall breaking jokes as exclusively Gintama's realm. There's no similarity in characters, story, or humor. Medaka Box is what you get when Nisioisin tries and fails to write a good battle/comedy shonen.

Well it's not the boke and tsukkomi routine like Gintama (or at least not to the same extent), but it still deliberately parodies and deconstructs other Shounen series while maintaining some semblance of a plot. Structurally, it's Gintama reversed even if the humor isn't the same.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Bodacious Space Pirates 1

This feels like false advertising, given that they are neither actual pirates, nor are they particularly bodacious, unless you count green lipstick. Still, they do indeed go into space, and there seems to be some actual thought put into some of the sci-fi aspects. Plus it has Chiaki Omigawa.

It's pretty bland visually and aurally, with ugly CGI ships and cars, but that seems to be the norm these days.

If you can get past the slow first 5 episodes, it's really picked up.

Well it's not the boke and tsukkomi routine like Gintama (or at least not to the same extent), but it still deliberately parodies and deconstructs other Shounen series while maintaining some semblance of a plot. Structurally, it's Gintama reversed even if the humor isn't the same.

You're really better off comparing it to something like Baka Test.

Makoto

Shuffle! 19

Oh fuck. Oh shit. Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. You guys weren't kidding when you said shit hits the fan. This shit is giving me School Days vibes
(I'm sure the latter episodes won't be that extreme)
. But fuuuuuuuuuuk at this episode.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Episode 06

WHAT THE HECK?! OH MY GOSH!

Oh man, geez... The last five minutes. What the heck is wrong with this show?! I didn't see that one coming. Wow.

Homura's starting to scare me a little, but she can't be all bad wanting to settle everything peacefully and rescuing Sayaka's soul. Kyubey's totally not suspicious at all eating that dark seed thingy. I'm starting to think he'll be the (insert long name homura said) here.

I'm beginning to wonder if Homura and Kyubey are some kind of team that intentionally pits the magical girls against each other/join their side in order to both benefit somehow. They clean up an area, move on to a new place, and repeat the process. Or something! I hope not, I like Homura. : (

Defuser

Don't you think something like this or this (minor spoilers that won't make sense in context) would be right at home in Gintama?

It would be but usually when gintama characters say it ,they always say in a bored, lazy, don't give a damn. This one here invoking serious business which kills the humor Difference in execution.

Makoto

Shuffle! 20

Kaede should get an award
for most convincing argument to stay with a girl.
Rin? Y U NO TAKE HER OFFER? Gosh, this guy keeps finding new ways to piss me off. I threw my arms in the air
when he walked out on her.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mawaru-Penguindrum 12-13

I have fun during 1/4 of the time I'm watching this show. Most of the time, though, it annoys me so much.

Every character that isn't Sho or Kanba is terrible, and the events either don't make any sense (that wouldn't be a problem if they were actually of the cool mysterious type and not only obnouxiously random) or keep happening over and over again.

New Prince of Tennis 12

This was pretty good. The wonders a training montage can do. Regardless, really cant wait for next episode, they even got
new cool looking suits to play the match
. Though is it really the last one, anime just getting so good.

zeroshiki

Nichibros 4

Was that Literature Girl on bass in the East High Light Music club? Because if it is, that's kinda hilarious because she has the same voice actress as Mio from K-On.

/XX/

Was that Literature Girl on bass in the East High Light Music club? Because if it is, that's kinda hilarious because she has the same voice actress as Mio from K-On.
If I remember correctly, they even make a joke referencing K-ON! on the following episode...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Revolutioning Girl Utena 4

Full impressions later, blah blah blah, I'll do a double feature with 3 tomorrow

anyway
NO ABSOLUTE DESTINY APOCALYPSE, I feel cheated

Anthy is a regular zoo owner

Nanami is a bitch

Am I really supposed to believe Miki is a boy

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Another 11

Holy crap. Hoooly crap :D Amazing episode, this series is really stepping on the gas right now.

everybody's dying left to right....shits gettin real...I do hope there's more gory anime in the near future..just like Another..

Mawaru-Penguindrum 12-13

I have fun during 1/4 of the time I'm watching this show. Most of the time, though, it annoys me so much.

Every character that isn't Sho or Kanba is terrible, and the events either don't make any sense (that wouldn't be a problem if they were actually of the cool mysterious type and not only obnouxiously random) or keep happening over and over again.

Im quite a few behind but Yuri and not even the epic slingshot sniper woman are not terrible? Though I do get much enjoyment from Sho and Kanba.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's nothing like that later though. It genre shifts relatively quickly and pretty much becomes battles + meta-humor. It's kind of what Gintama would be if it was 90% battles and 10% comedy instead of the other way around.
I hear it changes, but who knows how far Gainax will even get?

Shuffle! 19

Oh fuck. Oh shit. Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. You guys weren't kidding when you said shit hits the fan. This shit is giving me School Days vibes
(I'm sure the latter episodes won't be that extreme)
. But fuuuuuuuuuuk at this episode.
Hmm, might have to check this out later. SD was a pretty good mindfuck.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Well it's definitely going to get to the genre shift because that happens in the early teens. It's a bit more up in the air if they get to the best character.

Birdy: Decode 3

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Tute :(

I doubt it, since
Yandere
takes a while to show up.

Ultimadrago

Fate/Zero 12

Excellent. They've expanded on
Archer
and
Kirei's
little conversation.

And now his future is clear...or is it?

Hahaha, I await for the beast in this man to unleash.

Hmm, already only one more episode left before the season's done. I was hoping for more jam-packed action first! Maybe Ep. 13 will throw me a punch or two.

qcf x2

Ultimadrago said:
Dat

It depends what everybody else has up their sleeve. I wouldn't bet against Berserker. I would've said Saber's got some massive hidden potential, but
Rider destroyed her without even fighting

Typographenia said:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Episode 06

I see you're a fan of Homerun. She looks doped up in that pic.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mawaru-Penguindrum 15

That marks the second time they interrupt a cool moment to show a flashback. Geez.

Cool new OP.

Mawaru-Penguindrum 15 That marks the second time they interrupt a cool moment to show a backstory.
Get used to it. The way they handle and overuse flashbacks in this show is really clumsy.

It depends what everybody else has up their sleeve. I wouldn't bet against Berserker. I would've said Saber's got some massive hidden potential, but
Rider destroyed her without even fighting
How about Lancer?
What happens when a magic dispelling spear comes into contact with a reality marble?
And Saber (FSN spoilers)
could just destroy Ionioi Hetairoi or Rider with an excaliblast.

Branduil

Waiting in the Summer 1

Nagai is a much better director when he's not doing overly-serious drama. The art and animation are great, as expected. The cliched and lame fanservice at the end of the episode was dumb, though. Hopefully the show doesn't go too far in that direction and focuses on the actual character interactions.

Who names their daughter "Lemon"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom