• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Anime-GAF, I have confession and shame I must get off my chest... I have a serious addiction to buying anime. The only problem, is I don't tend to get around to actually watching said anime. THIS IS SOMETHING I HOPE TO CHANGE! Until ME3 comes out and completely ruins me, at least.

Here is the entire box of things I've bought the last 2/3 months.
Pardon my awful photo taking.

Here is where I currently stand with my progress (also removing the three non-anime items).

It is going to be a long journey, and I hope you will be tolerant of my slow progression through things. My plan of attack is to make my way through the shorter/quicker things first to get on a roll, and then hit the longer stuff near the end.
I'm glad the rest of my stuff is back home, because I've been tempted to go back and rewatch some of my older shows with the recent Toonami thread on OT, haha.

I'm going to watch Assemble Insert tonight and possibly Garaga or They Were Eleven, time permitting.

You have some good stuff there, have fun watching!

Oh that's a funny joke. Definitely funnier than anything in K-On, that's for sure.

This is where I spam K-on gifs, except I don't have any. :(

Anime-GAF, I have confession and shame I must get off my chest... I have a serious addiction to buying anime. The only problem, is I don't tend to get around to actually watching said anime. THIS IS SOMETHING I HOPE TO CHANGE! Until ME3 comes out and completely ruins me, at least.

That could also just be a sign of an anime fan. :p
I have a pretty large backlog of shows I say I would watch but haven't gotten around to.
Hell, I bought Summer Wars when it came out, and I still haven't watched it yet.

wonzo

Banned
Yep. Between the Witcher 2, exams, and Apollon, I'm not so sure what'll become of me this spring.

But the King of HNNNGG is dead (for a spell). The era has passed (for a spell).
He's merely the King in exile. He shall return and rule with an iron hnnnnggh!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's not fair. Space Pirates started at such a low point for it to improve from.

But that low point was better than Lagrange! So it can't have been that low.

Maybe if you didn't watch the first 5 episodes.

The first 5 episodes was like this: ______________________

Episode 6 compared to episodes 1-5: /

It would help if you explain why you disliked the first few episodes so much, and then I can explain why you're wrong!

Beats

I'm the same way. I bought a bunch of anime the last few months and I got a lot more that I want to get in the near future, but I haven't gotten around to watching even a little bit of it.
I'm mostly buying old stuff at the moment but there's just so much of it!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
But that low point was better than Lagrange! So it can't have been that low.
I can't really agree with this assessment at all. Even as someone who dislikes Pirates I'm willing to admit that the sixth episode was enjoyable, but it proves just how useless the plodding first five episodes were.

Jexhius after his first round defeat

jack-tretton-kaz-hirai.jpg

Pirates has been slow paced, but I'm not sure why something as generic and dull as Rinne no Lagrange is being used as the counter-example. Both shows are just now showing signs of going somewhere with their latest episode.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I can't really agree with this assessment at all. Even as someone who dislikes Pirates I'm willing to admit that the sixth episode was enjoyable, but it proves just how useless the plodding first five episodes were.

Well, the first few episodes were slow, but I certainly appreciated the care that went into keeping them from being boring, certainly better than the fanservice-fest of the first few episodes of Lagrange.

Of course, I'm enjoying Lagrange a lot as well, but Pirates is just ahead of it for me.

Pirates has been slow paced, but I'm not sure why something as generic and dull as Rinne no Lagrange is being used as the counter-example. Both shows are just now showing signs of going somewhere with their latest episode.

Have you seen the latest episode of Pirates? It pretty much directly contradicts the idea that it's going nowhere...

Thoraxes

Well, if you couldn't appreciate the slow, thoughtful pace, well designed and consistent world, fun character interactions, and careful build up to a climax, that's not the show's fault!
Slow and thoughtful, well-designed/consistent world, yes.

Fun character interactions? No. The deepest character on the show so far is Marika's mom, and that's being nice.

Careful build to a climax? Can you really call episode 5 a climax? It's like comparing nuclear explosions to someone playing battleship at home.

Also given how the Pirates manga started, they completely did it all wrong with the show, and the show would've been way better following that instead.

I'm the same way. I bought a bunch of anime the last few months and I got a lot more that I want to get in the near future, but I haven't gotten around to watching even a little bit of it.
I'm mostly buying old stuff at the moment but there's just so much of it!
You'd think there'd be an end in sight when it comes to buying old stuff, but, somehow, I keep finding more. Curse the related items on Amazon! CURSE THEM!

The one thing I want to buy more than anything is a copy of Honneamise, but they're so blasted expensive... The worst part is, since I've seen it, I feel it's somewhat worth paying the high asking price. : (

Is Jexhius Tretton or Kaz? haha

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Slow and thoughtful, well-designed/consistent world, yes.

Fun character interactions? No. The deepest character on the show so far is Marika's mom, and that's being nice.

Careful build to a climax? Can you really call episode 5 a climax? It's like comparing nuclear explosions to someone playing battleship at home.

Also given how the Pirates manga started, they completely did it all wrong with the show, and the show would've been way better following that instead.

I was thinking of episode 6 as the climax as it
brings together everything that has happened in the show so far, culminating in Marika's first raid
, but I did enjoy all the
electronic warfare
in episode 5, and I thought it did a good job of keeping a tense atmosphere in the face of an unknown enemy. I haven't read the manga, so I can't really comment on whether or not a more direct adaption of it would have worked better.

I didn't say any of the characters were deep (yet); rather, it's fun watching them run a cafe, go for a cruise, and so on. That's what I meant by character interaction.

I'm beginning to fear that you like Denpa for all the wrong reasons :(

I like Denpa because of Erio and all the secondary characters.

Persona 4 Anime ep 18

It was a moving episode but probably the most not good one for me. I dont understand the focus on the uninteresting characters. They could have made this filler vastly more interesting or used someone else.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Guys, no panic!

We have now a strong weekend with both shows. It's imo like a new little Golden Age.

Yeah, a fairly good episode six for Mouretsu makes me not so keen to get involved in a gang war. I still think that Lagrange is vastly better than Mouretsu but since that show is finally dragging itself out of a very deep hole, I'm willing to accept that other people actually really like it.

Now, if someone were to say that, for instance, Symphogear or Brave 10 were better than Lagrange... *cracks knuckles*

Persona 4 Anime ep 18

It was a moving episode but probably the most not good one for me. I dont understand the focus on the uninteresting characters. They could have made this filler vastly more interesting or used someone else.

It should make more sense with what's gonna happen in the next dungeon/ jump into TV land. Not to mention, they pretty much had to shoehorn them in and I would say it would give the best emotional impact. Probably.

IIRC, you didn't play the original game, so I would say look forward to the next episodes. :p

Thoraxes

I was thinking of episode 6 as the climax as it
brings together everything that has happened in the show so far, culminating in Marika's first raid
, but I did enjoy all the
electronic warfare
in episode 5, and I thought it did a good job of keeping a tense atmosphere in the face of an unknown enemy. I haven't read the manga, so I can't really comment on whether or not a more direct adaption of it would have worked better.

I didn't say any of the characters were deep (yet); rather, it's fun watching them run a cafe, go for a cruise, and so on. That's what I meant by character interaction.
I know you didn't say deep, but as for the interactions, I don't really think any of them were enjoyable because nobody really has any personality right now. I think if the characters had more depth to them they'd be able to provide "fun" character interactions. (I see we're defining this differently though)

Also I would delineate episode 6 as the clear start of a new arc, and not the tail end of the first one. There's too much distanced from the first 5 episodes.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Bodacious Space Pirates 02 06:

If this had been Episode 2, I think there'd be more people liking the show. There's some pirating this time (albeit amateurishly funny pirating) and even a little bodaciousness too! Color me surprised! :D

Kuroneko m2 is so tsundere! XD

survivor

Banned
The Knight of the Area 5

I didn't think they were going for the
two clubs route. I just thought it will be living under the brutal coach, destroy the system kind of thing.

Next week match should be good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fullmetal Alchemist
Brotherhood
: The Sacred Star of Milos
:

Kp2HCl.jpg

(There are no good screen caps that aren't spoilers, even though spoiling this movie is kind of impossible if you've seen either series.)

Anyway, I really enjoyed the film. It was nice to go back to a franchise I haven't thought about in a while and revisit the world and the characters, even if it is mostly a side-story of sorts.

In many ways, it combines
both the early exploration moments where the brothers have not been caught up in the conspiracy and the later moments when they are dealing with the metaphysical consequences of the Philosopher's stone
, so it's a nice way to get into the franchise and the themes it covers without being embroiled in the long running plot threads.

As for the movie itself, it hits many of the familiar beats:
1) Some atrocity has happened to a minoritized people.
2) The Philosopher Stone is made from the BLOOD OF HUMANS
3) The subsequent debates that surround that revelation
4) Giant transmutation circles build around cities
5) The true meaning of family

I suppose a cynic might say that all they did was just rehash old stories by putting a fresh coat of paint on it. (I'm assuming this is an original story and not an adaptation of a manga volume anyway). But even so, the story has enough meat on it that despite the fact that I could feel the manipulative moments -
dead children
- I felt that I cared about the new characters created for the film. As bog standard as it was, I can't really complain because it captures the essence of Fullmetal Alchemist.

For the shounen bros, the one big fight that launches the movie was quite exciting to watch - and it certainly felt bigger than the typical FMA:B fight (albeit with very little stakes).

The one thing that stood out was how they felt the need to
throw in Mustang and Winry
. It felt perfunctory, especially considering the fact that they tease
a Mustang fight only to cut away at the last moment
. But, I guess you have to service those fans as well.

There's a part of me that almost wants them to figure out how to make FMA movies of this sort so that they can continue the franchise in some way. A movie every couple of years would be a nice way to hang out with Ed and Al without committing to a 64 episode animu. Heck, even a post-series movie with them just off in their own separate journeys would be fine with me. Here's hoping Bones or the mangaka or whomever feels the need to cash in on the franchise in a couple of years.

wonzo

Banned
I might check out this "Bodacious Space Pirates" if only because of dat Chiaki!

Rinne no Lagrange 6

Maru!, Wan! and now Harem Night!
I wonder what was up with the Rin-Ne at the end. Seems kinda ominous.

This is merely an interregnum. Jexhius is already asserting his dominance:
nothing a little bit of revolutionary moeism can't fix!

Instro

Lagrange 6

That was quite an episode, visually(a lot of great art in this episode I think) and otherwise, I would say it was the best thus far. The colorful nature of the show really lends itself well to the action sequences, which really made this episode a blast to watch. Seems like the actual plot is kicking into gear, looking forward to seeing where it takes us from here on in.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Maru!, Wan! and now Harem Night!
I wonder what was up with the Rin-Ne at the end. Seems kinda ominous.

nothing a little bit of revolutionary moeism can't fix!

That revolutionary moeism is probably going to
fulfill that prophecy of destruction
, you know!
No way the rin-ne isn't directly related to this.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
This show is so awesome. The mystery and atmosphere are getting stronger, while even more tantalizing snippets of the past are revealed.
Yasako is clearly a far more important character than she appeared at first. I want more Isako, though, she hasn't shown up much recently.

Mk3eP.jpg

Yasako has awesome boots.

Instro

This show is so awesome. The mystery and atmosphere are getting stronger, while even more tantalizing snippets of the past are revealed.
Yasako is clearly a far more important character than she appeared at first. I want more Isako, though, she hasn't shown up much recently.

Does my heart good to see someone enjoying this excellent show. You are good people.

Hunter x Hunter 19
tumblr_lzagffhHla1r3x2t8o1_500.gif

Killua having to take the backseat was odd but his commentary throughout was nice. I too was shocked at the bracket presented.
how in the world did Gon do better than Killua, impossible, Killua was essentially perfect in every exam trial and didnt even get beat up on Zevil Island

Somehow this feels way more violent and brutal than Naruto, Bleach, and the others. Ive never reached a point where I was on the verge of wanting to turn it off due to
characters getting beat up so much they vomit and then still having to endure more pain with their arms being broken, and the sound heard.

Oh well its getting better and better, guess Im truly becoming an HxH fan. Preview was baffling
Killua Blood? no :(

wonzo

Banned
Fullmetal Alchemist
Brotherhood
: The Sacred Star of Milos
:

http://i.imgur.com/Kp2HCl.jpg[/IG]

(There are no good screen caps that aren't spoilers, even though spoiling this movie is kind of impossible if you've seen either series.)

Anyway, I really enjoyed the film. It was nice to go back to a franchise I haven't thought about in a while and revisit the world and the characters, even if it is mostly a side-story of sorts.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. I cant wait to watch it in April, I think is when dub releases on disc. Kind of wish it came during or while the series wasnt yet completed so I wouldnt already know the outcome of the series. Seems kind of awkward to revisit a world when one already knows the conclusion of sorts, if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom