• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I got caught up on KiraKira☆Pretty Cure A La Mode.

gumibFc.png
byulpMh.png

Better than Kemono Friends. Yellow is super good.

Wake me up when red arrives

phaze

Reigen doesn't completely control Mob's powers, all he does is just stroll around and casually slap away people's shit. Nothing fancy. The idea is that Mob's power is so much, much more powerful than the enemies that Reigen is impervious and has to do fuck-all to win. And it was Mob's subconscious decision, the anime makes it really obvious.

So he controls it with even more ease then Mob then. He does that all without even consciously trying.

Also, how is this power transference radically different than a spirit like Dimple giving psychic powers through possession? He even helps the brother learn to control his power. But, if it really makes you feel better, I'll just say that this power transfer
isn't just a one off thing: multiple characters do it, and indeed, it is a rather important plot device for the rest of the arc.
(Kind of generic non-spoiler for the rest of the arc)

Uh, because Dimple was a ghost who possessed people, not only was this his main schtick, the bodies were just conduits for his power. [I think, it's been awhile, so strike me out if that's inaccurate.]

As for your spoiler, I guess that would obviate my misgiving a bit ? Depends on how it's done.

The transference was according to Mobs emotions/subconsciousness like every other of his outbreaks.
It was '100% gratitude' about Reigen 'shouldering' the whole situation instead of him, allowing Mob to 'run away', which is pretty much exactly what the power transference represents.

Every other ? I think he had just one, two if you count the flashback and both of them was his inner hollow/whatever lashing out with power outbursts. It's a far cry from transpired at the end.

Cornbread78

The Mugi/Moca thing really is about his morals rather than anything legal, Mugi isn't preying on Moca because he was never interested in her from the start. Hell he actually seems to think she's annoying. Would Mugi be wrong for having sex with her when she is 'throwing' herself at him because she's so infatuated with him? I wouldn't be surprised that a teenage boy bites at the opportunity nor am I surprised she's taking this opportunity to go out with him knowing he doesn't love her.

Even if it's not "illegal" doesn't mean it's not "abuse." Sexual abuse isn't always defined by legalities in my mind.

Aikidoka

So he controls it with even more ease then Mob then. He does that all without even consciously trying.

Uh, because Dimple was a ghost who possessed people, not only was this his main schtick, the bodies were just conduits for his power. [I think, it's been awhile, so strike me out if that's inaccurate.]

As for your spoiler, I guess that would obviate my misgiving a bit ? Depends on how it's done.

Now, you are just being willfully obtuse and unreasonable. You are drawing arbitrary lines and pretending they are logical and also completely misrepresenting what happened.

KraytarJ

Even if it's not "illegal" doesn't mean it's not "abuse." Sexual abuse isn't always defined by legalities in my mind.
I'd still be hesitant to classify it as abuse seeing as how the "victim" is very willing to be apart, while the "abuser" is someone who seems completely indifferent to the relationship. Although at this point is Mugi actually going to take her up on her offer? I wouldn't put it past him but seeing as how he feels about Moca the same way Minagawa feels about Prof. Milquetoast, it doesn't seem like much is going to come from this in their current states.

LotusHD

Banned
I had little interest in LWA but had it turned out to be a good Harry Potter-esque anime series I would've gladly watched it.

Instead everything you folks say about the workings of magic etc. sound like one of the most boring wizarding worlds I've heard of. That the magical powers requires proximity to some magical stone/tower already sounds like a buzzkill³.

I started watching because I recall people loving the OVAs, but yea, it's pretty boring so far. But I've liked Trigger's recent work, and there's 25 episodes, so I'm still hoping it'll get a lot more interesting.

Cornbread78

that's a very wide definition of sexual abuse then, can you specify what you consider it as?
you're probably right..... however,
This will sound kind of blunt here:
Did you ever have a friend, or you yourself completely take advantage of a girls (or guys for that matter) emotional weakness/state? Knowing you could "get a piece of that a$$ regardless, for any reason" just because of the way they felt about you? All the while you know damn well that you/they have no emotional connection to that person and know for a fact you/they has no intention of "taking responsibility" of their actions?

As simplistic as that sounds, knowingly preying on others emotions is not only immoral, but a form of sexual abuse. As I stated, it may not fall under the category or "illegal" and may be consensual, but it's still a form of abuse.

I'd still be hesitant to classify it as abuse seeing as how the "victim" is very willing to be apart, while the "abuser" is someone who seems completely indifferent to the relationship. Although at this point is Mugi actually going to take her up on her offer? I wouldn't put it past him but seeing as how he feels about Moca the same way Minagawa feels about Prof. Milquetoast, it doesn't seem like much is going to come from this in their current states.

Well, Mugi thinks Hanabi is "cheating" on him and wants to get back at her, so it's almost a shoe-in at this point since she openly stated she would fill-in..

Puruzi

Banned
I got burned out on Precure after Princess and ended up skipping Mohu Girls, but I got a good feeling about this one.
Yeah, I jumped the gun when they gave details and I said it was ruined. Still not super into projectile fights but it's pretty fun and Blue seems to fill my need for punching and kicking.

Ascheroth

Girls und Panzer der Film

The panzer action and fun in this was off the charts. So many great moments.
The only annoyance here are the rehashed stakes and the 'antagonists'. The ministry are basically being assholes just because drama and the odds should be stacked against the protagonists as much as possible.
The match would have worked entirely without the drama surrounding it. Hell, it wasn't even thought about or brought up by any of the characters during the 1 hour long action once and the exhibition match at the beginning was awesome without some deeper meaning as well.

Paltheos

I thought the ending was pretty bleak once you realize things aren't going to change.
It's been a while since I watched it but Satoru(i think that's his name) was seen raising the baby cats(if I remember that's what they are, those things they use to kill kids) thus continuing the cycle that fucked them over as kids. The problem is that the way the dystopia is structured it's probably the best outcome.

Possibly, but the show's more optimistic than that I think. Recall that
Saki's group (well, just Saki and Satoru now) are different from the rest of the psychics - They haven't been mentally conditioned as thoroughly,
and though the choice to do this may have been directly responsible for the tragedies in the TV series, it ultimately does still empower them to think more outside of the box than their peers, and the series repeatedly hammers in that Saki is a stronger, more capable person than most. ... At least, Saki and Satoru themselves don't seem soured from the experience, even after all the terrible things they learned and experienced.

Line_HTX

Nana ep.1
sCUjcw9.jpg

And thus, a new journey has begun. I'm not sure where this journey will be taking me, but I can already tell that this "boyfriend" will be a douche after his actions from the first episode. I difference in personality between the two Nana's should be fun to watch though!

Aww shiet, you are so going to love both of them, Kiritobread I guarantee it. This will be one hell of a ride, heh heh heh

Cornbread78

Aww shiet, you are so going to love both of them, Kiritobread I guarantee it. This will be one hell of a ride, heh heh heh

The Dub isn't half bad, but it was really weird listening to everyone's favorite tsundere play the role of a happy, cheery and super talkative Nana...

I like how meta Gintama is about it's own production, with the characters joking that the series should end because its gotten too close to potentially overtaking the manga. The Evangelion ending was top notch.

Jex

This whole Mob Psycho discussion has been pretty illuminating. I am not looking to tell people how to feel about a show but I am very interested in hearing why people feel the way I do. To that end, this debate has been useful.

I cannot personally cannot see a problem with a writer creating a story as they go along. That just seems to be part of the creative process - which is an organic exercise. The idea that 'good' writing involves planning everything in advance feels very peculiar to me. I don't see what that has to do with a story being good or bad (beyond basic consistency).

The only time I might take umbrage with this kind of story development is in a mystery story which is expecting the audience to correctly solve a puzzle. For a puzzle to be fair the audiences need access to all the information required to solve it. However, outside of that particular context, it seems far less important.

Hell, I wouldn't even really be bothered if the writer had broken an explicit rule they set earlier in the narrative, as long as breaking that rule rewarded some kind of interesting development. Araki ignores his own rules all the time in JoJo's and that doesn't stop the series from being great - in fact the freedom it offers Araki to create as he seems fit is one of the reasons that the series is so enjoyable.

Thud

ざわ・・・ざわ・・・ざわ・・・ざわ・・・

After E-card we have a tissue box raffle from Kaiji's inspiration.
Improvs usually don't work in gamble, especially when you're outmatched against this old toad.

Pretty solid work in general. Music always kicks in at the right time and the iconic ざわ SFX of course.

Andrew J.

LWA TV 07

"A lot of people say we are outdated for using magic to repair things"

Excuse me what? How is that not the most useful...how can that possibly be outdated...Oh right, I guess I'm not supposed to question this stuff.

Remember, magic is still limited by leyline availability and the relatively low number of witches. In the past it might have been your best option to carry a broken object to the nearest witch shop and back, but with technological advances either mundane repair or outright replacement are probably cheaper when you factor in travel time.

Also, Lotte got an A+ for fixing up a shoe. I kind of doubt repair magic would be very effecive on microelectronics.

zulux21

The Dub isn't half bad, but it was really weird listening to everyone's favorite tsundere play the role of a happy, cheery and super talkative Nana...

*tries to figure out who you are talking about...*

Sango? don't know if I would really consider her a tsundere as most of her attacks on the monk are completely warranted due to his sexual harassment and she is in general a nice enough person as long as you aren't sexually harassing her or mocking her over her sibling.
Ukyo (ranma)? which I don't think is a tsundere at all.

https://myanimelist.net/people/643/Kelly_Sheridan

I don't think anything else she has played is even popular enough to remotely consider say "everyone's favorite tsundere"

Kenstar

Remember, magic is still limited by leyline availability and the relatively low number of witches. In the past it might have been your best option to carry a broken object to the nearest witch shop and back, but with technological advances either mundane repair or outright replacement are probably cheaper when you factor in travel time.

Also, Lotte got an A+ for fixing up a shoe. I kind of doubt repair magic would be very effecive on microelectronics.

yeah she literally summoned fairies to sew it back together like mini cobblers

What good would they be when my car breaks or my phone case cracks? Can't Whimsically fix that with pre-industrial revolution level familiars

Cornbread78

*tries to figure out who you are talking about...*

Sango? don't know if I would really consider her a tsundere as most of her attacks on the monk are completely warranted due to his sexual harassment and she is in general a nice enough person as long as you aren't sexually harassing her or mocking her over her sibling.
Ukyo (ranma)? which I don't think is a tsundere at all.

https://myanimelist.net/people/643/Kelly_Sheridan

I don't think anything else she has played is even popular enough to remotely consider say "everyone's favorite tsundere"

Huh, sounded like the VA that did Taiga from Toradora and Louise from The Familiar of Zero.

Jarmel

Banned
yeah she literally summoned fairies to sew it back together like mini cobblers

What good would they be when my car breaks or my phone case cracks? Can't Whimsically fix that with pre-industrial revolution level familiars
Are there universities for goblins? Does one get a bachelors in engineering?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bro they can fix daVinci's Last Supper.

Modern technology ain't got SHIT on magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom