• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

The people who post in this thread.

*Average wealthy AnimeGaf basement dweller
basement.jpg~original

Speaking of smut, time to see what the smut anime of spring is. This season basically has no typical smut shows(Aside from Scum's Wish but that is refined smut). Truly disappointing.

Cornbread78

I'm counting on all of you to discern trash from stuff that might actually be good this season, since there is so much middling anime airing:

Clockwork Planet
Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho
Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records
Sahurada Reset
Re:Creators
Alice & Zouroku

on the surface these sound interesting, but...

Speaking of smut, time to see what the smut anime of spring is. This season basically has no typical smut shows(Aside from Scum's Wish but that is refined smut). Truly disappointing.

There is only 1 you need to know about from what I'm being told:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34019/Tsugumomo

Kazuya Kagami never goes anywhere without the precious "Sakura Obi" his mother gave him. One day a beautiful, kimono-clad girl named Kiriha appeared before him. Kiriha naturally began to live with Kazuya in his room. Then there's Chisato, Kazuya's childhood friend with glasses and a ponytail, who meddles in his affairs. Soon there's also an overprotective older sister who seems to want to take baths with him. Jumble in a huge-chested priestess, a good-looking sorceress named Kokuyoura, beautiful women, and hot girls, and Kazuya's happy, embarrassing, confusing life begins…

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm counting on all of you to discern trash from stuff that might actually be good this season

Just look at the promo art.
If there's a male on there: avoid.

Then from the shows you have left, read the synopses:
If there are male pronouns: avoid

Easy.

Cornbread78

Easy.

lol, you guys may love your CGDCT anime, but that stuff is highly boring to me 90% of the time, so.... It's tough, ya know..

MSMrRound

Can't say so much for Spring, but at least Netsuzou Trap (NTR trap for short?) got that Summer slot locked down

I'm counting on all of you to discern trash from stuff that might actually be good this season, since there is so much middling anime airing:

Clockwork Planet
Sahurada Reset
Alice & Zouroku

From those 6, Akashic Records screams avoid. That visuals is like a huge red alert. The rest looks ok to interesting. That re:zero look alike from white fox might be the next hit for all we know.

Joe Molotov

Easy.

This is only valid until the NTR: Netsuzou Trap anime adaptation, then there has to be guys for them to NTR.

Cornbread78

Nah. I already read the manga and know that the smut is so WOOOW that it'll be light-beamed, cloud fogged and edited out of existence. Not to mention the action won't hold a candle to the manga's.

Well, at least Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata is still coming this spring! Who will he choose?!?

From those 6, Akashic Records screams avoid. That visuals is like a huge red alert. The rest looks ok to interesting. That re:zero look alike from white fox might be the next hit for all we know.

Yeah, the whole "teacher harem" potential is a little worrisome....

Cornbread78

I don't think there's a "teacher harem" in Akashic records from what I remember. He's also at the same-ish age as them and not exactly a learned teacher.
And thank god it's not an all-girls school.

All plusses I guess.

It's going to be a long 3 week trial period before stuff starts getting dropped....

-______________________

I need to get focused this morning, but dammit, this spring anime season could be fun.

I'm putting together a training curriculum for our U10 Soccer coaches and tryig to do all my work stuff at the same time. This is rough, lol.

focus, focus...

Looks like Your Name will be released in all of Scandinavia. Sweden on April 12th, Norway on April 28th and Denmark on May 4th.

Hm... Should I watch it yet again...

Clockwork Planet
Sahurada Reset
Alice & Zouroku

Akashic Records seems great. I need my magic high school.

Jarmel

Banned
Apparently Kakegurui is supposed to air in July.

So MAPPA might have 3 shows airing at once if Altair is summer as well. Either that or Altair is Fall instead despite showing more footage than Kakegurui? So either they're going to have two shows airing at once for two seasons back to back or three shows in one season and one in Fall.

I don't understand this industry.

Hopped off anime for a while due to life, etc about halfway through autumn but caught up on some things and I'd appreciate any tips for stuff I missed:

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Really loving this but why Episode 6 why??!!??? I was able to hand wave Saikawa's love reaction to Kanna as a lonely girl finally finding a friend (even during the Kanna bullying scene she seemed to have no allies in the class) but no let's play Twister ffs.

Konosuba s02
OK I'm sold this is hilarious, I'm not sure why but season 2 seemed funnier and less exploitative than the prior season so I'm rewatching S01 to try and put my finger on it.

Interviews With Monster Girls
When I saw the early posts in the thread about this I was nervous because the original manga designs were far better than the somewhat generic designs here but I like this. The teacher is genuinely interested in helping his students and the vice-principal who is set up as a sort of antagonist is also concerned about the students. Yeah the girls are crushing like mad on him but as long as the show never decides to have him reciprocate that's fine.

Masamune-Kun's Revenge
Hoo boy the whole set up for this seemed too red-pillish for me to get along with it but it was doing a damned good job of entertaining me until episode 9. I really liked Neko's character but what happened in episode 9 has left a sour after taste.
I was fine with her denouement in hospital sure it seemed capricious and arbitrary for her to select Masamune via photo but why not? I thought it made for a nice mirror to Masamune's own selfish behaviour. When after he leaves they play the 'she too has been searching for a long lost love' card I was upset as it really was adding dump trucks of unnecessary pathos to an otherwise well handled scene. Sure it was set up with the line about how alike they are when she stole his photo but that could also have worked for the photo set up.
Not sure if I'll stick with this as the new storyline about the pudgy lad who looks like Masamune used to is not enticing me, is it developing well at all?

Hand-Shakers
Hahahahahahahaha oh my god this is so bad I've watched 4 episodes of this nonsense and it is every lazy cliche with a lovely dash of sexualised violence from e01! Yeah every season has one of these and I've already had my fill

Stuff that I left halfway:
Izetta
BBK/BRNK
Magical Girl Raising Project
Bloodivores
WIXOSS
Flip-Flappers*
To Be Hero*
I've stuck an asterisk beside the stuff I definitely plan to get back to but did any of the others come good in the end (I presume Bloodivores did not :D )

Non-CR stuff that I haven't caught up on:
Scum's Wish
Please tell me they managed to keep the emphasis on teenagers destroying themselves emotionally through sex and not the sex itself

Little Witch Academia
Saw a screenshot of E11 and it looks good, please tell me this is good (and hasn't picked up any Trigger sexy baggage on the way)?

Szadek

Princess Precure - Ep. 44-45
This time Minami gets a (sort of) double episode.
While not as great as the Kirara's epiodes, they were still pretty damn good.
Her development has set up quite a while ago andthe pay off was worth it.

Looks like next episode is going to be Shut's last stand.

Scum's Wish
Please tell me they managed to keep the emphasis on teenagers destroying themselves emotionally through sex and not the sex itself
The sex is there, obviously, but it is not the focus in a raunchy way. In a scene like girl will be riding guy, but they're not very explicit about it plus more of the focus is on what is going on in the character's heads rather than the act itself. And those scenes never last very long. (pun intended)

There sex is there, obviously, but it is next the focus in a raunchy way. In a scene like girl will be riding guy, but they're not very explicit about it plus more of the focus is on what is going on in the character's heads rather than the act itself. And those scenes never last very long. (pun intended)

Excellent that matches what I've read of the manga anyway, must give this a watch at some point

Line_HTX

Apparently Kakegurui is supposed to air in July.

So MAPPA might have 3 shows airing at once if Altair is summer as well. Either that or Altair is Fall instead despite showing more footage than Kakegurui? So either they're going to have two shows airing at once for two seasons back to back or three shows in one season and one in Fall.

I don't understand this industry.

As if the quality dip in the back half of Yuri on Ice wasn't bad enough from this studio...

Qurupeke

Little Witch Academia
Saw a screenshot of E11 and it looks good, please tell me this is good (and hasn't picked up any Trigger sexy baggage on the way)?

Eeeeh. It's disappointing. Impressions are rather mixed, if not negative, but some people still seem to enjoy the show. As of episode 11, there's a goal and foreshadowing for a darker future, but I doubt it will change much quality wise.

It hasn't been very good sadly. Character flaws and shoddy pacing have marred the show.

LWA is pretty good

Eeeeh. It's disappointing. Impressions are rather mixed, if not negative, but some people still seem to enjoy the show. As of episode 11, there's a goal and foreshadowing for a darker future, but I doubt it will change much quality wise.

Hmmmm I groaned when I saw it was a Netflix show but perhaps having it all drop at once will help with the pacing issues. Hopping around the thread I saw some folks struggling with Konosuba s02 pacing which hasn't been a problem for me but then I watched most of it in an evening so here's hoping. I really like LWA so fingers crossed!

Cornbread78

Samurai Harem ep. 5-6
More harem fun. The side characters are all-right in the show and the comedy is decent enough to keep up with everything. Overall it's just meh though.

JulianImp

Gundam IBO - #47

Was good, but having Orga do double and triple takes on everything got kind of boring. Mika handing out babies like they're candy was funny, though.

Even if Tekkadan does manage to turn things around and win, it's as Mika himself says in that his reason for existing is linked to conflict, and he can't really function properly as a human being neither physically nor mentally. I never paid that much attention to it, but the higanbana being reflected in his's eyes at the end of the OP are probably foreshadowing his death, and the fact he's been raising all kinds of death flags as of late doesn't help...

Finally, I can't help but chuckle whenever Biscuit, Cookie and Cracker's names are brought up in dialogs... they sound so out of place compared to the rest of the cast's it isn't even funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom