• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSMrRound

Little Witch Academia
Saw a screenshot of E11 and it looks good, please tell me this is good (and hasn't picked up any Trigger sexy baggage on the way)?

As someone who loved the LWA OVAs, I have to admit that the current TV anime format haven't really reached the lofty heights of the original OVAs.

A couple really great episodes here and there, but most of the rest are basically just Akko going around with her friends getting into hijinks.

Episode 11 seems to be encouraging though, in the sense that they might finally settle down and go for a endgame scenario.

Apparently Kakegurui is supposed to air in July.

So MAPPA might have 3 shows airing at once if Altair is summer as well. Either that or Altair is Fall instead despite showing more footage than Kakegurui? So either they're going to have two shows airing at once for two seasons back to back or three shows in one season and one in Fall.

I don't understand this industry.

I think it's easy to understand if you consider this interview between the president of Bones and a J.C.Staff producer.

Matsukura: You don’t want them to go to another studio either. (laughs) However, both me and Minami-san know the situation when there’s no work offers coming from the industry. Therefore, there’s a fear of having no work for your staff.

Minami: That’s the most terrifying thing. But well, we’re now in an opposite situation.

While it's easy to see the struggles that arise from an overburdened industry, I imagine a key reason the producers of anime studios accept so much work in the first place is because of the fear of what will happen if that work dries up and you end up not being able to keep your company afloat.

Jarmel

Banned
I think it's easy to understand if you consider this interview between the president of Bones and a J.C.Staff producer.

While it's easy to see the struggles that arise from an overburdened industry, I imagine a key reason the producers of anime studios accept so much work in the first place is because of the fear of what will happen if that work dries up and you end up not being able to keep your company afloat.

Yea I've read the interview but there is such a thing as overworking your staff. Some of these studios are just dumping work on top of work when it doesn't even seem to be necessary in some cases. You can't make episodes if your staff is dead.

Yea I've read the interview but there is such a thing as overworking your staff. Some of these studios are just dumping work on top of work when it doesn't even seem to be necessary in some cases. You can't make episodes if your staff is dead.

MAPPA relies heavily on outsourcing as a rule; I expect they're counting on DR Movie and company to see all these shows through. Plus Inuyashiki is probably going to be a full CG series, so that'll be an inherent division of labor from their other shows.

Jarmel

Banned
MAPPA relies heavily on outsourcing as a rule; I expect they're counting on DR Movie and company to see all these shows through. Plus Inuyashiki is probably going to be a full CG series, so that'll be an inherent division of labor from their other shows.

They might be fine if they shove Altair into Fall but it's still a bit weird that they've released a PV for Altair along with more staff info compared to Kakegurui. Of course if they're planning on doing all three in the Summer, I doubt even outsourcing will save them. Not to mention Satou is still going to be Chief Director for Inuashiki so unless he's more of a name on paper than anything else, he has to be splitting his duties between Bahamut and Inuyashiki to some extent.
The anime industry says otherwise.
Robot animators when?

Kemono Friends - 11

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

FUCK THIS SHIT MAN.

NO THAT'S OKAY SHOW, I DIDN'T NEED MY HEART. YOU CAN JUST TAKE IT AND SMASH IT INTO A MILLION PIECES IF YOU WANT.

I'M ONLY JUST CRYING MY DAMN EYES OUT RIGHT NOW.

They might be fine if they shove Altair into Fall but it's still a bit weird that they've released a PV for Altair along with more staff info compared to Kakegurui.

With regard to this, it's worth noting that the promotion for these two series are being handled by different companies (Aniplex for Altair and Square-Enix for Kakegurui), so the producers at those companies might have different promotion strategies.

hampig

Don't know how you found this one, but good choice. The characters range on these extremes where the obvious side characters tend to be clownish while most of the main cast are deadpan, and the show flies mostly on expressions, camera work, sound and music cues, and of course flashbacks, because nobody almost ever talks about anything directly (except Wakaba). It's really refreshing, and the author Mitsuru Adachi has been working on this particular style for decades.

Cross Game's not without its flaws, but it's a more balanced experience imo than his most famous work, Touch. Cross Game also has a bunch of anime-original content which is melded in pretty well with the rest of the material (I didn't know until reading about it after the fact). On the whole it's a pretty plain-looking show, but the production staff know what they're doing - The animation won't wow you but the quality of the art is consistent throughout which is something I value in a show like this.

It's a good show - Enjoy it. It's earned that top 100 spot on MAL. (I'd put it in top 50 but I haven't thought too hard on where)

Man this thread moves fast.

I've been meaning to read Cross Game for forever. I can't remember what got me on it, but I love the art, and while I have never liked watching actual baseball, something about the game is very appealing to me.

5 episodes in now and I'm really loving how the characters are being handled. It's so opposite typical anime, where everything is over explained and in your face. There will be a simple explanation or a hint at what characters are feeling or thinking and then the show moves on. Overall it has a subtlety to it that's very endearing.

On a side note, I was so sure this was a remake of something made in the 80's or early 90's but apparently I'm wrong? They really nailed the look and feel of something from my personal golden age of anime.

kewlmyc

Kemono Friends - 11

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

FUCK THIS SHIT MAN.

NO THAT'S OKAY SHOW, I DIDN'T NEED MY HEART. YOU CAN JUST TAKE IT AND SMASH IT INTO A MILLION PIECES IF YOU WANT.

I'M ONLY JUST CRYING MY DAMN EYES OUT RIGHT NOW.

Hmm, the show always looked very cheap and weird. Surprised there's emotional weight behind it.

Pundere

Been spending so much time with AOTY Nier Automata that I haven't had much time for my talky talk cartoons.

Tsukimonogatari
Oh man I was just thinking "You know what would've made that creepy bath scene from Nise better? Like 300% more incest." And here we are. The bit with Koyomi doing the Platinum Disco dance was pretty good tho.

That aside, there's a lot more Kagenui here which is nice. All her shit talking towards Shinobu is pretty fun and shows how fragile her ego can be. Ougi and Gaen continue to be weird and enigmatic.

As for Teori, he feels underutilized. I don't know if there's enough there for another episode, but he seems like he should've had a bit more than he did.
Also is his the first on screen death? Tsukihi is immortal and Hachikuji was already a ghost, so I don't really count them.

Owarimonogatari Ougi Formula
Boy Ougi sure is fuckin creepy.

Angel Beats

I've been meaning to watch this for a while after seeing it's apparently one of the "most watched" series over on MAL. Enjoyed it over all. Weird point of praise, but I think it's actually cool on the writers end that they avoided relegating Yuri to being a Love Interest.

I thought the ending got a little overly melodramatic.

Szadek

Princess Precure - Ep. 46
Go-Princess-Precure-Ep-46-Img-0020.png
Very sad episode.
Shut got some much shit from everyone, it's very hard tonot feel sorry for him.
Understably he almost lost his mind, because he has lost everything. A asshole pigeon even stole his black rose.

At least the Precures managed to beat some sense into him.
I wonder what will happen to him form now on.

jbug617

Banned
Sentai doing LE for Monster Musume and Gate
C7dvQ3PVQAAq9Ja.jpg

Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation; Music Videos x2; Japanese TV Spots; Japanese Promos; Outtakes; Soundtrack, Pin Up Art Book, Poster, Lenticular Card, Stickers, Bestiary Art Cards
C7du9MtV4AATHGa.jpg

Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation; Animated Comic; Japanese Promos; Weapon Replica, Flag, Patch, Art Book, Art Cards
credit to WTK

Qurupeke

Scum's Wish 9-10
The whole thing with Ecchan was a snoozefest. I loved the initial reveal that she's into Hanabi, but she was really dragging the show after that. Thankfully, it's over.

Episode 10 was vastly more interesting, I really enjoy episodes with Akane's inner thoughts. Her situation is really amusing right now and I wonder if she'll really accept that.

Cornbread78

Princess Nine ep.15
What a mess. How can they really be freaking out about something that happened 20 years ago and well before Ryo was even born.... No reason for it.

One Piece 780

One Piece filler is dumb because they have like 1,000 marines on this base but even if they had 100,000 they couldn't do anything to Luffy. He can literally knock 95% of them out just by flexing his Conqueror's Haki...

Acca has been such a disappointment. It had so much potential, but so many episodes just dragged. It's one thing to be a slow burn, this isn't the right way to do it.

I just decided to read up the synopses up to ep10 and yeh, seems like there's little else to it other than a somewhat obvious twist everyone's looking forward to from the very beginning.

And, oh boy, even in one of the synopsis I had to read about baked goods
lina-vi1.gif

jman2050

Loved the show, ending got me despite the rush to the finish. This was the first show in which Maeda should have made 24 episodes, but instead cut it in half..

I see this a lot but I disagree strongly. 12 episodes was more than enough to do what he needed to do with that setting and premise but it tied itself down with meandering and pointless nonsense that gave it almost no remaining room to breath in developing the stories and characters that actually mattered.

Angel Beats seems even stranger to me in hindsight because the whole thing plays out as a compressed and unfocused VN adaptation except the anime came first. I mean, how does that even happen?

Cornbread78

I see this a lot but I disagree strongly. 12 episodes was more than enough to do what he needed to do with that setting and premise but it tied itself down with meandering and pointless nonsense that gave it almost no remaining room to breath in developing the stories and characters that actually mattered.

Angel Beats seems even stranger to me in hindsight because the whole thing plays out as a compressed and unfocused VN adaptation except the anime came first. I mean, how does that even happen?

Would have loved for them to spend more time with the character stories and most importantly, the main ship they revealed at the last minute. As touching as that scene was considering the context of the reveal, it would have been great to dig deeper into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom