• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Acca has been such a disappointment. It had so much potential, but so many episodes just dragged. It's one thing to be a slow burn, this isn't the right way to do it.

It still probably is in my top 3 of the season (esp if I exclude sequels). It just felt rushed at the end. It felt to me like it was setting up this much longer narrative, then the rush to fit a story into one cour. Am curious to see if the source material is like that.

Cornbread78

Looked up the Fuuka spoiler since apparently the anime won't be doing it.

That truck is a goddamn behemoth. Does she have tinnitus or something? How do you not hear that coming?

6360904463419883931186227092_tumblr_m1yrz0INZq1qeje6qo1_500.gif

This week is going to be a great dinner of steamed shit on a platter..

K-ON!! 21

It's a shame the soundtrack is so mediocre. It interferes with my enjoyment of otherwise excellently made scenes. It was especially noticeable here since there were numerous stretches with no dialogue, which forces the music, if present, to take on more of the brunt of carrying the proper tone. Not like I'm asking for something as lush as Hyouka's score, but something more akin to Koufuku Graffiti's soundtrack would have been nice.

Having the four leads go to the same college kind of takes the teeth out of the upcoming graduation. Leaving high school doesn't have the same impact if you're just going to turn college into high school part 2.

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 22 – Desert Mayday
C7fki-KXgAEhahP.jpg:small
C7fki-KXgAAX4uW.jpg:small

Yes, Cheval Lute co-op and handholding was perfect.

I still fear Cheval will go to the darkside or lose himself to being an avenger, he gets way to serious and distance in these moments where he has to seemingly prove something.

Controlling monsters plot line is going as expected.

jman2050

Kemono Friends 1-11

Come for the mofu mofu, stay for the accelerated Introduction to Zoology and disturbing implications of past horrific events!

Did Azusa end up going to the same college or did the manga never get to that point or what?

The manga juggled showing some of Azusa's year with Ui and Jun, and some of college life between Yui and Mio and Ritsu and Mugi and another band at the same school, then kinda unceremoniously stopped with just enough material for a volume for each of them.

Is Mappa trying to commit suicide by anime production?

Mappa can't kill itself before it makes another good season of Garo or something else that makes up for Terror in Resonance.

zulux21

Fairy Tail 227

a long time ago I watched this in Japanese, and week by week I couldn't stay interested. In an attempt to clear a few finished series from my Queue on the funimation app I noticed this one on top and saw it was fully dubbed now... so why not jump back in.

I forgot the first half of the episode was still filler... yay bathhouse scenes *rolls eyes* anyways the episode is clearly set up, though more amusingly I think it does a better job of making me want to check out fairy tail zero instead of the rest of this arc :p

Pooya

lwa 11

so
older Diana becomes Lord Voldemort
? I'm guessing there is going to be a time skip.

edit, I guess it's spoiler, I have no idea what it is spoiler these days.

Pooya

It's not even a spoiler, it's just a very far fetched guessing at best based on a single frame. meant for people that seen it. :(

Pooya

But with that interpretation of that single frame in a single episode now out in the open, why would I even want to watch the series anymore?!

Well, it's funny at times and there is more to it than the possibility of a villain in the story, that may or may not be an existing character based on interpretations of a single viewer of a single frame without any context that if it's even future or past.

I'm out, sorry about that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Duckroll is being facetious don't take him seriously.

In fact even when he's being serious you shouldn't take him seriously.

Ratrat

I've watched all three of them and I've read both books he wrote.
Worth watching?
I read them a while ago, including Empire of Corpses(did not like it). I've been avoiding the movies after seeing what the character designs in Harmony looked like. But I just watched the trailer for Genocidal Organ and it actually looks... kind of good.

duckroll

Worth watching?
I read them a while ago, including Empire of Corpses(did not like it). I've been avoiding the movies after seeing what the character designs in Harmony looked like. But I just watched the trailer for Genocidal Organ and it actually looks... kind of good.

Both Harmony and Genocidal Organ are outstanding adaptations. Strong direction, tight screenplays, doesn't water down any of the themes or violence. They're crushing works which really sell how fucked up the worldview of the stories are. There are various things which are excised from the books due to runtime, but overall they capture the tone really well. Genocidal Organ makes some pretty subtle but substantial changes though, which I actually felt improved the characterization of the characters.

Empire of Corpses is hot garbage with some really nice art and animation. Basically Guilty Crown 2 with a more interesting setting. What a waste of time and money.

DiGiKerot

Worth watching?

Empire of Corpses is a mess (the opening act is actually pretty strong, which just makes the way the whole back half pans out all the more disappointing).

Harmony is OK. Not great, not bad, just OK. It has its moments, and at its best it manages to be about as deeply unsettling as you'd hope, but it never really rises above been competently made.

I've not been able to see Genocidal Organ yet, alas.

Ratrat

Both Harmony and Genocidal Organ are outstanding adaptations. Strong direction, tight screenplays, doesn't water down any of the themes or violence. They're crushing works which really sell how fucked up the worldview of the stories are. There are various things which are excised from the books due to runtime, but overall they capture the tone really well. Genocidal Organ makes some pretty subtle but substantial changes though, which I actually felt improved the characterization of the characters.

Empire of Corpses is hot garbage with some really nice art and animation. Basically Guilty Crown 2 with a more interesting setting. What a waste of time and money.
Oh, that's surprising. But then again, its kind of a tribute so perhaps they would be extra respectful. Glad to hear, I'll try to watch Harmony then. Not too surprised about Empire of Corpses. The book shouldn't even exist.

Empire of Corpses is a mess (the opening act is actually pretty strong, which just makes the way the whole back half pans out all the more disappointing).

Harmony is OK. Not great, not bad, just OK. It has its moments, and at its best it manages to be about as deeply unsettling as you'd hope, but it never really rises above been competently made.

I've not been able to see Genocidal Organ yet, alas.
Makes sense...

Genocidal Organ just released last month so it won't be on dvd for a while unfortunately.

Anyway, thanks for the impressions!

duckroll

I think the only part of Empire of Corpses which really worked for me was the long montage where they show the progression of corpse technology in the world over the years. That was super fascinating and really cool.

Then the movie happened. Bleargh.

Ratrat

The setting itself is pretty cool. But having characters like Rhett Buttler or Dimitri Karamazov was just weird. Threw me off right away.

Cornbread78

Nana ep.17
0QMuGZW.jpg

Yeah, I can see how this one was painful for Nana from the start and the bond between these two just keeps growing and growing. Excellent moment...

That song by Trapness was pretty badass as well.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist ep.49
On one hand fans have been waiting 49 episodes for this to happen and it was great, but on the other hand, all these twists, turns, OP boss, power ups and all the other craziness is really exploiting the show's shounen roots. I loved the look back at everything that has happened between those two throughout the show (the VA's didn't have to scream over it though) and I look forward to next weeks final showdown/conclusion.

Playing Tales of Berseria and watching this at the same time is kind of funny when you think about it the "bad guys" motivations, lol.

Twin Star Exorcist ep.49
On one hand fans have been waiting 49 episodes for this to happen and it was great, but on the other hand, all these twists, turns, OP boss, power ups and all the other craziness is really exploiting the show's shounen roots. I loved the look back at everything that has happened between those two throughout the show (the VA's didn't have to scream over it though) and I look forward to next weeks final showdown/conclusion.

Playing Tales of Berseria and watching this at the same time is kind of funny when you think about it the "bad guys" motivations, lol.

Just getting back into TSE w/episode 31 after the Sae arc and I remain both impressed and frustrated with how they handle re-cap episodes. Impressed because they seem to have managed to blend time saving reuse with actual character moments (the christmas tree was esp good) but frustrated because it's still a damn recap episode. Glad to hear it's building to the ending well!

Just going to take a moment to shit on FunimationNow for the 10th time or something, so my suscription lapsed and they have barely a handful of shows I am mildly curious about that have yet to be replicated on CR. They do still have Tales of Zestiria though so I figured I'd throw them a few quid for a couple months and enjoy a binge on that. Nope it's 1 year and €60 only, the PS4 app isn't in my local PSN and is as garbage as the android app if the forums are to be believed, ditto the Vita app, the UK&I support twitter has been dead since October and I'm 3 days awaiting a reply to my support e-mail. €60 for this? Nah I'll wait thanks

Clov

I really enjoyed Harmony, found it to be an incredibly unsettling film. Not perfect, but it definitely makes me want to see more from its two directors.

I'm glad to hear that Genocidal Organ has some good impressions, I was a bit skeptical about that one myself.

Just getting back into TSE w/episode 31 after the Sae arc and I remain both impressed and frustrated with how they handle re-cap episodes. Impressed because they seem to have managed to blend time saving reuse with actual character moments (the christmas tree was esp good) but frustrated because it's still a damn recap episode. Glad to hear it's building to the ending well!

Just going to take a moment to shit on FunimationNow for the 10th time or something, so my suscription lapsed and they have barely a handful of shows I am mildly curious about that have yet to be replicated on CR. They do still have Tales of Zestiria though so I figured I'd throw them a few quid for a couple months and enjoy a binge on that. Nope it's 1 year and €60 only, the PS4 app isn't in my local PSN and is as garbage as the android app if the forums are to be believed, ditto the Vita app, the UK&I support twitter has been dead since October and I'm 3 days awaiting a reply to my support e-mail. €60 for this? Nah I'll wait thanks
Tales of Zestiria is also on Daisuki if you can use that.

I really enjoyed Harmony, found it to be an incredibly unsettling film. Not perfect, but it definitely makes me want to see more from its two directors.

I'm glad to hear that Genocidal Organ has some good impressions, I was a bit skeptical about that one myself.

I liked it quite a lot too. I think my Wife and I were just about the only review website that was actually positive about it when it first hit US theaters. I liked it so much I've included it in our latest contest on our site too, although I'm sure winners will pick one of the other DVD sets as their prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom