• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

Princess Nine ep.15
What a mess. How can they really be freaking out about something that happened 20 years ago and well before Ryo was even born.... No reason for it.

Damm...I didn't expect you're watching this show. Man...out of this place left me out of the loop for a while now. Need to get myself to go back watch anime a bit.

Jex

[LWA TV] - 11

I honestly don't enjoy being the person who constantly dunks on this series, but I've been turning this episode over in my head I really just need to get these gripes off my chest.

The biggest problem with this episode is that it exists merely to vomit out exposition to the audience. It's incredibly clumsy in a manner which is shocking even for the low standards this series aspires to. To top all of that off, it also feels pretty late in the day to be receiving this kind of stuff - it feels like information we should have had 5 episodes ago.

The problems of this episode can be most clearly be illustrated by considering all the scenes which didn't involve Ursula/Akko. What, for example, was Diana's story this episode? She interrupted the teachers, who were doing a lot of exposition, so that she could then proceed to go somewhere else and engage in even more exposition, none of which connected to the 'Akko storyline' directly. None of Diana's actions seem motivated beyond her normal desire to study, and we don't learn anything more about her or the teachers at the school. It's just a bunch of footnotes that help us illustrate Akko's story which, itself, is stuffed with more exposition.

The Akko stuff is, well, more of the same really but at least they tried to shape the exposition into a form that kind of resembles a 'story', but the seams are truly showing here as well. The problem with this mini-arc is that it culminates in a dumb 'choice' that's supposed to illustrate to the audience how Akko is growing as a character but the correct 'choice' is so obvious that it really undercuts what it's trying to prove. Of course, Akko, or anyone, wouldn't chose to literally destroy their entire identity for the sake of some promised future. That's a dumb, bad choice inserted only to give Akko the appearance of agency in a story where she literally doesn't even know that she's on a quest to revive some sacred whatsit. Does she not even get to know what she's doing? Argh!

(That sequence where Akko is given 'The Choice' really bothered me as well because all of Akko's past life apparently consists of the last few weeks at school? What about her family? Her old friends? Any experiences that shaped her life (NOT THAT SHINY CHARIOT CONCERT) to give us a fuller picture of her as a human being? No, of course not, Akko literally only came into existence when she attended that Shiny Chariot concert, and then subsequently had almost no experiences until she arrived at Luna Nova. What.)

I can understand that some people felt a little bit more positively about this episode and I can understand why that is. After all, last week's episode was painfully dull and hey, at least we've got some kind of goal for our character now, right? Even if, inexplicably, she doesn't know about it? These things still aren't enough for me to overlook this episodes many, glaring flaws.

Hellraider

I see this a lot but I disagree strongly. 12 episodes was more than enough to do what he needed to do with that setting and premise but it tied itself down with meandering and pointless nonsense that gave it almost no remaining room to breath in developing the stories and characters that actually mattered.

Angel Beats seems even stranger to me in hindsight because the whole thing plays out as a compressed and unfocused VN adaptation except the anime came first. I mean, how does that even happen?

It's been many years but that's exactly what I remember to have felt at the time. It didn't need more episodes, it just needed for all the episodes to have been more focused and pave a better road to what I thought was a good, that could have been more than great, ending. IIRC there were a lot of scenes offering nothing between the ones that mattered.

Jarmel

Banned
I was wondering if they were going to show Akko's family in that scene but lol no.

Diana's stuff seemed like set up but who the hell knows.

Line_HTX

First visual for the upcoming citrus.

C7bFvdIVoAAcn3v.jpg

Jex

I was wondering if they were going to show Akko's family in that scene but lol no.

Diana's stuff seemed like set up but who the hell knows.

I mean it was all basically set-up, right? But to have it just dangling around, unconnected to any plot or obvious character motivation felt surprisingly lazy.

That one sequence was pretty cool though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think Diana's trying to do the same thing as Akko (bringing magic back to the world) just going about it her own way.

Akko = wish really heard and bumble into deux ex machinas
Diana = study all the lore

In a better show, they'd be co-protagonists and foils, kind of like Ryuko and Satsuki (but better), but unfortunately it's not. Akko is half baked and Diana is completely underdeveloped.

Haly

I still don't know what "be like Chariot" entails. Does she want to be a talented sorceress? A magical idol? A traveling performer? A role model? I assume it's the last one but she never says as much. For all I know she wants to skin Chariot and then wear her meatsuit as a costume while yelling "I'm Chariot!"

First visual for the upcoming citrus.

That right arm doesn't look like it's supposed to bend that way.

Uuggh, dropped.

Looking it up, probably because this is the plot description.

Fashionable Yuzu imagined the first day at her new school she transferred to after her mother's remarriage a bit differently; she didn't know it'd be an ultra-strict and conservative girls' school. So instead of a sweet high-school romance, she butts heads with the stern student council president Mei—who turns out to be her new step sister. And she has to learn that hate and attraction are often not that far apart.

Citrus is pretty bad tbh. The black haired girl doesn't act like a real person. Like you know tsunderes right? This is like that but with no actual emotion or reason to anything she does.

Beyblade Burst #19 Roktavor vs Unicrest!
C7e0pBMXgAAEvYl.jpg:small
C7e1-DqWsAAzZ41.jpg:small

Beyblade Burst solves first Beyblade's issue of unappealing chara designs on opponents teams. Ukio is amazing.

Honcho's beyblade battle was pretty amazing, though I wish it were flashier. Stamina type matches can be dull.

I hope Ken somehow stays.

BeyBlade #43 Live and Let Kai!
C7fAcqkXUAAgmPA.jpg:small

I live fore this type of arc in my toy and game adaptations. I was smiling so much when Demolition Boys next character was coming out and out came Kai from the curtains. Then Kai laughing as he took on all of Team All Stars (more like Fail Star). And then Laughing Kai. Tyson and the other Bladebreakers must feel bad for never seeing Kai laugh and enjoy himself.

Syrinx

Looked up the Fuuka spoiler since apparently the anime won't be doing it.

That truck is a goddamn behemoth. Does she have tinnitus or something? How do you not hear that coming?

Haly

Why even make dirty shows after Scum's Wish, the GOAT dirt?

Time Bokan 24 Episode 22 – America's Moon Landing Was Staged!
tumblr_omb2jclfeG1r5di2po1_540.png
tumblr_omb2jclfeG1r5di2po2_540.png

The X-files of anime finally happened, and it was great. Silly episode but I love seeing America in anime, even the president. Kind of a silly concept but I liked this exploration of the America moon landing was staged idea.

Suite Precure 18-21

So finally, we get what we came for, Siren turning face for real, after it was dragged by an additional few episodes because she got a bit clammy. Kind of a reminder in how long the Cure Muse storyline goes on for.

I still think it's sort of weak as a mid season climax. A lot of it comes from Hummy really. Hummy is fine in a lot of circumstances but there was the sense of naivety that makes it grating, but on the other hand, the final time she mentions her faith in Siren was a closeup of tears forming, considering how things would get fucked if her appeal didn't work out.

Cure Muse wasting the enemies Notes seems kind of pointless considering they completed the Legendary score not much longer after the event, but I wonder if it had to deal with the Organ not being ready because MYSTERIES

Either way, this is more enjoyable to watch than Little Witch Acadamia TV.... something I never thought I would say.

Szadek

Princess Precure - Ep. 47
Cure Flora gets only 1 episode, but that's fine, since the episode was great.
It also ties in very nicely into the climax of the show.

Shut is also back next episode. I wonder what role he will play in the final fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom