• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

nah he is like 35.

at one point the one teacher mentions that the distance in her age and him is about the same as her and the students and she is like 25.

doesn't make their crushes any less weird than 50, but he isn't that old :p

Eh.

Still hilarious that he has that insane body.

Dragon Ball Super 83

C7zwuGVU8AE0XtL.jpg

Vegeta dad moe

Looks like they are counting on Master Roshi to Joseph Joestar it and fight with trickery and bullshit. And they still pick him over Yamcha who thinks he's getting in lel

Erigu

[Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū]
So
when Yakumo tells Konatsu "I was too busy raising you to die," are we meant to believe that he was lying?
The Japanese line isn't really about raising, but rather "taking care of". I imagine the idea is that he was giving her a roof and taking care of her financially (so he couldn't die on her), but wasn't much of a father beyond that. Just before that in the same scene, Konatsu notes how little he did for her.
There was a special edition of the last volume of the manga that included a short story set when Konatsu was in high school, and from what I understand (I haven't read it yet myself, so take the following with a grain of salt), it shows that Yakumo doubled down on trying to get Konatsu to hate him because he feared she was developing romantic feelings for him.

Well, you could probably read it as
him having a deluded interpretation of her childhood where he felt he did more than he really did. If you believe Matsuda did indeed do all the work. So not a lie but a skewed perspective.
And considering Matsuda is the one who said he did 90% of the raising, I'd believe him. Guy is a saint!

zulux21

But then I'll get behind! And when you watch like 15 - 20 anime a season, getting behind is like a death sentence for your free time haha.

it only takes a few hours for reviews if even that.

I mean a number of people in here will give their quick thoughts, or you have sites like mal, anidb, ann, what ever the hell hummingbird is now ect that will give you quick user scores for it.

Cornbread78

Monster Girl Interviews END
I'm so glad they never crossed that red line and even distanced themselves from it on that last episode. In the end, the ship we all wanted was never realized, but the tease was fun, lol. Not sure if they will do a second season, but sensei x succubus sensei is a must! Talk about a perfect pairing...

Someone took cam footage of the PV. It's CG and it looks bad. Very bad.

Is that thing for real? It looks like a total fake.

Edit: Yeah, in fact, looking at the source for that video that's been shared around, it looks like a one-man CG "tribute" to Mazinger which has nothing to do with the Toei produced film.

Jarmel

Banned

Edit: Yeah, in fact, looking at the source for that video that's been shared around, it looks like a one-man CG "tribute" to Mazinger which has nothing to do with the Toei produced film.
Ah. Well that'll be interesting. I don't like the Mazinger franchise but I guess there are people looking forward to it.

Netflix really has been going all in on anime lately. No wonder Funimation and Crunchyroll are so concerned about them and Amazon.

I'm curious what Amazon plans to do with Strike's content. Only thing I've noticed is them cutting some type of deal with Sentai Filmworks and the Kabaneri & Scum's Wish exclusivity. Neither are really "killer apps" in my opinion though. :p

The Japanese line isn't really about raising, but rather "taking care of". I imagine the idea is that he was giving her a roof and taking care of her financially (so he couldn't die on her), but wasn't much of a father beyond that. Just before that in the same scene, Konatsu notes how little he did for her.
There was a special edition of the last volume of the manga that included a short story set when Konatsu was in high school, and from what I understand (I haven't read it yet myself, so take the following with a grain of salt), it shows that Yakumo doubled down on trying to get Konatsu to hate him because he feared she was developing romantic feelings for him.

In that case, if Yakumo was deliberately trying to distance himself from Konatsu to avoid her feeling romantic affection for him, then it's even more bizarre that he would turn around and indulge her romantic desires by getting her pregnant. In general, I can't say I'm a fan of this "adopted daughter hooks up with her adoptive father" trope.

Narag

I'm curious what Amazon plans to do with Strike's content. Only thing I've noticed is them cutting some type of deal with Sentai Filmworks and the Kabaneri & Scum's Wish exclusivity. Neither are really "killer apps" in my opinion though. :p

Scum's Wish is part of their Noitamina deal iirc.

Beyblade Episode 46
C70AzVwXUAA6Gwx.jpg:small

Kai at his best but also at his worst. Loved his miniarc with Black Dranzer.

Cheesy bladebreakers friendship stuff was amazing. So embarrassing but so good. Kai's face of confusion, doubt, and amazement was icing on the cake.

So I guess that means Saekano will be exclusive to Amazon then?

Yes, every Noitamina show from Kabaneri onwards is exclusive to Amazon as part of their Fuji TV. They've been picking up a few other worldwide exclusives as well, such as Chi's Sweet Adventure, Onihei, and it looks like the upcoming Atom the Beginning is probably Amazon exclusive as well.

Yes, every Noitamina show from Kabaneri onwards is exclusive to Amazon as part of their Fuji TV. They've been picking up a few other worldwide exclusives as well, such as Chi's Sweet Adventure, Onihei, and it looks like the upcoming Atom the Beginning is probably Amazon exclusive as well.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. Pretty solid catalog then. Nothing I'm dying for myself though.

I don't think 4 service with each their own exclusive stuff is too much so far. Every market needs competition.

Edit:+1 I forgot about Daisuki.

Anime Strike is the big problem. It's locked behind two different paywalls, and that second paywall is US Exclusive, too.

Netflix is largely a non-issue on that front because it's so widespread already. The majority of the audience probably already have Netflix (or have a family member or someone who is sharing their account with them). The only real issue there is the holding stuff back until the full season airs.

Crunchyroll, Daisuki and Netflix on their own would be fine, since that's basically two additional paid services, with a reasonable amount of free content being offered from them. But Anime Strike is a complete shitshow that is absolutely going to drive piracy back up as they get shows that were largely going to Crunchyroll in the past.

Quasar

Netflix really has been going all in on anime lately. No wonder Funimation and Crunchyroll are so concerned about them and Amazon.

I don't really see a reason to be concerned about Netflix. A slightly different case with Amazon, as they are simulcasting a handful of shows and seem like they might give a damn with anime now. Then again it might just be an excuse to scam more money out of anime fans for the same content.

Some of the stuff we already know exists like LOGH, FLCL, and the BONES mecha show. So I mean...

Someone took cam footage of the PV. It's CG and it looks bad. Very bad.

That and the time of posting the event hadn't even started.

It apparently finished about fifteen minutes ago though.

Clov

I don't really see a reason to be concerned about Netflix. A slightly different case with Amazon, as they are simulcasting a handful of shows.

Really? They're grabbing up some big exclusives. LWA TV, the three new Godzilla anime films, Yuasa's Devilman project, and now the newest Fate anime. They shouldn't be taken lightly, and they're not.

Erigu

In that case, if Yakumo was deliberately trying to distance himself from Konatsu to avoid her feeling romantic affection for him, then it's even more bizarre that he would turn around and indulge her romantic desires by getting her pregnant
As far as I can tell (I might have missed some subtle hints), there really isn't much about how/why that happened. The only direct allusion I'd see would be in that scene between Konatsu and Yakumo, right before his death.

The official subtitles:
Yakumo: What's all this? You need so much coddling, today...
Konatsu: I'm a slave to my blood.
Yakumo: You've made up your mind, then?
Konatsu: Yes. But I can't give a name to this feeling anymore.

Now, I really don't want this to sound like I'm taking a dig at the translation, as I think it was cleverly and often beautifully done overall, but I disagree with the "you've made up your mind, then?" line. The way I understand "ふんぎりはつけたってエたろ" is more "I thought you said you had gotten that out of your system" (... except that's definitely not a very Yakumo-like way to put it, sorry... English isn't my first language, so please bear with me), which really seems (in hindsight, anyway) to hint at a conversation they had around the time of Shinnosuke's conception.

The "slave to my blood" part (literally, "my blood is making me do this") also brings to mind the conversation Konatsu had with Yotarō, earlier in the series, when she was worried about "her blood making her do things" and possibly becoming like her mother. And just before that, there was another scene where Oei said Konatsu reminded her of Miyokichi, Konatsu was offended, and Oei then said "oh right, you're completely unlike her", which... might actually have been sarcasm, in hindsight (based on Konatsu's comments to Higuchi at the end of the series, Oei and Kido (the yakuza boss) knew who Shinnosuke's real father was).

Really? They're grabbing up some big exclusives. LWA TV, the three new Godzilla anime films, Yuasa's Devilman project, and now the newest Fate anime. They shouldn't be taken lightly, and they're not.

Well, Devilman is being created for Netflix, and it seems like something that wouldn't exist without them. It's a bit different than the other scenarios where they're picking up the international distribution rights.

But you're absolutely right that they shouldn't be taken lightly. They're definitely making big moves, and have been for the past year.

Anime Strike is the big problem. It's locked behind two different paywalls, and that second paywall is US Exclusive, too.

Netflix is largely a non-issue on that front because it's so widespread already. The majority of the audience probably already have Netflix (or have a family member or someone who is sharing their account with them). The only real issue there is the holding stuff back until the full season airs.

Crunchyroll, Daisuki and Netflix on their own would be fine, since that's basically two additional paid services, with a reasonable amount of free content being offered from them. But Anime Strike is a complete shitshow that is absolutely going to drive piracy back up as they get shows that were largely going to Crunchyroll in the past.
Yea Anime strike is kind of dumb and I kind of forgor about it being canadian and all. Hopefully it doesn't work for them and they change their game plan. Anyway I don't really think they have any shows driving people toward them. Nothing against Noitamina, but the exclusive they offer are far from what I would call a *big incentive* and everything else they is available elsewhere right? In the end Crunchyroll has a huge strenght having VIZ and most of Funimation's biggest shows, so it mostly counters piracy by itself.

Puzzle & Dragons X Episode 35 – Ace Versus Starjohn

Eh, really Starjohn, really? I think he had good intentions, just needed a mentor at some point. For Ace, it wasnt his flashiest. Must be saving it for Lance.

Clov

Well, Devilman is being created for Netflix, and it seems like something that wouldn't exist without them. It's a bit different than the other scenarios where they're picking up the international distribution rights.

That's true, that one has more involvement from them. Were they also financing the Godzilla films, or did they just scoop up the streaming rights?

Quasar

Well movies aren't really the purview of anime streaming services (much to my lament - films is where people have to either fall back to fansubs or wait forever for discs). I guess I'd raise my eyebrows if they started getting things like AoT and the other big shonen things exclusively. Not that I give a shit about those things personally.

Or if Netflix got exclusive streaming rights for the Ghibli films.

Quasar

Nothing against Noitamina, but the exclusive they offer are far from what I would call a *big incentive* and everything else they is available elsewhere right?

That's the only reason I have a Amazon sub. If the Noitamina deal was not there, I'd be gone in a second. I actually wonder what I will do when the discounted Prime Video price I have stops. Keep paying just for Noitamina shows? Or go back to fansubs.

Clov

Or if Netflix got exclusive streaming rights for the Ghibli films.

I'd certainly bet on Ghibli's catalogue landing on Netflix before Crunchyroll. Netflix has a bigger audience, and Ghibli films have a broader appeal than the typical Crunchyroll or Funimation crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom