• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

But it would it have been as good as an actual TV series? Possibly!

I don't think it would have hurt the material itself, but there's things specific to the direction and boarding of A Silent Voice that probably either wouldn't work or would be hard to enforce across something that's made in the fashion that TV anime is produced. It's probably still be good, but it'd end up being something pretty different.

blurr

Iron Blooded Orphans S2 24

McGillis was a disappointment in more ways than one. What a disaster for Tekkadan.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Clov

Disney gave up their Ghibli licenses a while back. The Ghibli catalog is currently licensed by GKIDS in the US.

Aren't those only the theatrical licenses, though? As far as I know, all of Disney's BD releases of their Ghibli licenses are still in print.

Disney definitely doesn't have the streaming rights at all though; if they did, they'd be up on Netflix already.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2, Episode 24:

Right, whatever sympathy I am meant to feel for McGilli Fareed is still erased by the whole child bride thing.

Idolmaster EP 20

MlFkmVj.png

Oh my, was this thread always so rainy? I can't barely see anymore.

Relceroi

Neo Member
A Silent Voice

Raw. Real. Long. Frustrating. Depressing. Pretty.

Should have been a 1-cours TV series instead of a movie.

I haven't yet seen the movie version of A Silent Voice so I can't say for certain how it worked out in the end, but I'd imagine the story could at least potentially work very well as a movie. The manga felt like it could have either gone on a little longer or drop some of the stuff and have a higher focus on the two main characters.

Actually, I happened to read the manga yesterday for the first time. Largely I found it to be a wonderful story if only a bit lacking towards the end. I suppose I tend to like endings that are both detailed and conclusive.
It was fairly clear where the two main characters' relationship was headed with them making a quite literal step into adulthood hand in hand, but as I said, I like detail. It was also a bit of a shame that Nishimiya's confession was dropped and how the two of them, despite being friends with each other for months and even years, seemingly couldn't find the time to talk to one another at length.

Lately I've been binge-watching a lot of shows. With Crunchyroll having such a limited selection (of course My Hero Academia wouldn't become available here...) there hasn't been much to choose from, but Hunter X Hunter and Haikyuu!! among others have been the stand outs so far. Currently I'm watching Flying Witch. Apparently Rakugo is something that I should maybe consider watching next.

Jex

I don't think it would have hurt the material itself, but there's things specific to the direction and boarding of A Silent Voice that probably either wouldn't work or would be hard to enforce across something that's made in the fashion that TV anime is produced. It's probably still be good, but it'd end up being something pretty different.
I agree with you. A Silent Voice, the film, essentially has the feeling of a singular vision. This oneness would ultimately be diluted if it was a television series.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 24

Obviously Nobliss killed Orga. Or his goons seizing a good opportunity. The obvious answer is usually the right one. McGillis going down like the punk he always was. He's good, but even he can't take on an army by himself. Though I do wonder how he would've fared without Gaelio present. Rustal is getting away scot-free. Well when everyone is a bastard some evil guy is going to make it, and at least he'll keep things stable. Mika manages to keep Tekkadan focused on what they need to do. Hush jobs again, but considering what some people have survived I'm considering him dead yet. I called Julietta being the main rival way back at the beginning of the season. And now she's the final boss. Not bad for someone who is just a mid-boss in terms of skill.

Jarmel

Banned
I agree with you. A Silent Voice, the film, essentially has the feeling of a singular vision. This oneness would ultimately be diluted if it was a television series.
Not inherently and with a studio like KyoAni I think that's even less the case.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Demi chan wa kataritai end
Goddamn, Tetsuo got A+ body. He's working out like hell.
Fun series. There's time when the show try to get real serious, but other than Yuki arc, the show mostly focus on light SoL with the demis.
Also, TetsuoXSuccubus sensei FTW

Kobayashi's Maid Dragon 12

Ah yes, Japan 2nd most powerful magic tool, Kotatsu (the 1st one is rice cooker btw)
You know, all this time with Tohru trying to feed Kobayashi her tail, i won't be surprised if it play major part in later story (something about eating dragon part will make someone immortal)

AoT Recap Movie 1 - a third or so in

Yeh, no. I figured sine AoT has indeed a bunch of pacing issues I'd just watch this instead of revisiting all of season 1 before AoT finally continues in April.

But when they manage to lame-ify the armored Titan charge scene with shoddy editing and removal of his theme, what's even the point. I'll instead watch the series again and just skip around a bit.

Also, seeing once gain how awfully edgy the direction of some scenes like the initial Survey Corps return are, I can only pray this crap is downed down in S2. I'm not getting my hopes up for that, though...

AoT Recap Movie 1 - a third or so in

Yeh, no. I figured sine AoT has indeed a bunch of pacing issues I'd just watch this instead of revisiting all of season 1 before AoT finally continues in April.

But when they manage to lame-ify the armored Titan charge scene with shoddy editing and removal of his theme, what's even the point. I'll instead watch the series again and just skip around a bit.

Also, seeing once gain how awfully edgy the direction of some scenes like the initial Survey Corps return are, I can only pray this crap is downed down in S2. I'm not getting my hopes up for that, though...

Araki won't be directly directing S2 himself, so there's a little hope for that I'd say.

duckroll

I will post much more about A Silent Voice tomorrow when I decide to put the time into it. There's a lot I want to talk about in detail, but.... not today.

Araki won't be directly directing S2 himself, so there's a little hope for that I'd say.

Ah right, I remember reading about that.

I still kinda fear that they might not change the tone of the often overly dramatic scenes when AoT was so wildly successful. Oh well, we'll see soon.

edit:
Seriously, though, just how awful is this bit in particular from the aforementioned scene. The damn, uh, phantom gust and speedlines.
dac15_face.gif

Samurai Jack 503
God this show continues to outclass so much generic anime with its visuals and artstyles. When Jack enters the cave all bloodied up it looks gorgeous. All of the sequence with the wolf was sweet and continues to display the show's rule of showing vs telling. Jack is a man of few words.

The battle sequence at the end though. Simple yet brutal. Jack has finally gotten over his
fear of killing another human
and it made for the most intense battle scene in the show. God this show. Everything they've done is just right. Genndy Tartarsauce is the true master.

Gotta get back. Back to washing my pants.

KraytarJ

K-ON!! 14
After like a month long break I'm finally back to K-ON with a pretty fun episode. A new pairing of Mugi and Ritsu emerges, and like any pairing with Ritsu it's wonderful. Then Mugi enlists Ritsu's help to get smacked by Mio because she needs *ahem* physical contact but of course playing the fool in a group with Yui and Ritsu is deceptively difficult.

Zestiria X 24

Wow, so they did end up running through the Camlann backstory in this episode. And good lord did this episode indirectly spoil another big thing of Berseria (
Maotelus = Phi's voice
). At least the final form Sorey looked pretty cool.

Waiting a month for the next episode then.

Masashi Koizuka was assistant director on S1 and has moved up to director for S2, while Araki has moved up to the role of chief director.

I'm not really sure based on that that I would expect any sort of massive shift in the direction of the series, considering that Koizuka would have had a sizable impact on the first season already, and that Araki is still the guy at the top.

Thud

This poster cannot continue.

Careful.

There's a lot of 2B fans in here son.

Hopesdeleted.gif

Lol, different context guys.

Dragon Ball Super 83

There are some funny scenes in here, like Yamcha scaring Bulla. However they're gonna be filling these episodes just with Goku recuiting his friends and that just comes off as lazy. Not talking about the animation, but the general motive behind this.

Oh well at least they don't take Yamcha with.

duckroll

So with one episode left (in a month! HAHAHAHA!) how does ToZ the X stake up again the game in terms of the story stuff towards the end? Is it even comparable?

So with one episode left (in a month! HAHAHAHA!) how does ToZ the X stake up again the game in terms of the story stuff towards the end? Is it even comparable?
Mostly incomparable. What led them to the final boss, the location of the final boss, how much they knew before confronting the final boss, and even how the final fight looks to be resolved. About the only thing that's the same with the final battle is Heldalf's backstory, and that was slightly reworked as well.

Trickster Episode 21 – Veracious Victim

I was kind of hoping for Nakamura to be in on it with Twenty Faces instead of just being charmed for another thrill. I wonder if Twenty Faces would get to one of the kids, thatd be incredible.

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 8

Props to Yukari for moving at her own pace and not just following Ichika's whims. She knows how to handle the pink. How much space is in that house? It certainly doesn't look that big. Aoi has super strength even in her normal form. Old fairy guy already showing off a human form. At least everyone can kind of cook by now. Again, they make their enemies stronger. If this wasn't Precure I'd question how this store could stay open when everyone has an erratic schedule at best, but it's not like operating expenses are high, so they can manage.

I'm not really sure based on that that I would expect any sort of massive shift in the direction of the series, considering that Koizuka would have had a sizable impact on the first season already, and that Araki is still the guy at the top.

I wouldn't expect any intentional shift, but it's possible that with Araki in a less hands on role that others will be unable to replicate the same level of intensity he operates at.

Cornbread78

Samurai Harem ep.10-END
Meh. I really didn't care for the whole drama drama plot leading up to the ending and of course we got a typical harem
non-ending, no "winners" just ends
out of this one as well... Some decent conedy, but that ending kinda killed the fun.

Yowamushi Pedal New Generation Episode 9 – New Sohoku, Start!
C73lxbrXUAEf4pS.jpg:small
C73lxbsXkAUi_3B.jpg:small

I really want Sugimoto to make it as the sixth man. His moment with hotshot and their continuing training regime and inspirational discussions was good and makes me want to cheer Sugimoto on, he deserves it.

Hiro Shimono was also in the episode, great voice.

Qurupeke

Gintama. [END]

Zzzzzz

This series was like 40% expositions, 25% boring fights, 20% flashbacks, 10% sentimental moments and 5% jokes...

I miss the time when I enjoyed the series for its humor. I suppose they had to finish the story some day, but the continuous serious arcs are getting rather tiring. And maybe I'd be more interested in it if there was a budget.

Gintama. [END]

Zzzzzz

This series was like 40% expositions, 25% boring fights, 20% flashbacks, 10% sentimental moments and 5% jokes...

I miss the time when I enjoyed the series for its humor. I suppose they had to finish the story some day, but the continuous serious arcs are getting rather tiring. And maybe I'd be more interested in it if there was a budget.

Budget + direction really killed this arc's adaption, worked quite a bit better in the manga. Hopefully they adapt the final arc since it has a much better balance between action and Gintama comedy so far, and it's a love letter to those who watched through everything prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom