• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

I try to brush most of its logical fouls as part of the comedy and the source material. I find Kanna just fantastic because of how convincingly her character acting and voice acting are at making her the cutest, most adorable little sweetheart.

But honestly, I find Renge to be a far more well-rounded and unique character. She may not be as oh-my-god-my-heart-can't-take-this-cuteness as Kanna, but personality-wise, she wins hands-down.

KyoAni would make the already excellent Non Non Biyori a legend and they should also adapt Yotsubato already.

I'd brush it off if it were a one off thing but it seems to rely on it a lot(many such moments), I can't get over a character with that fresh in mind. The fight scene gag with Tohru was what got me into watching it in the first place.

Yotsubato won't happen because the author himself was against an anime adaptation. The closest we ever got was a short 3DCG moment at the ED of Nyanbo.

Quasar

I'd certainly bet on Ghibli's catalogue landing on Netflix before Crunchyroll. Netflix has a bigger audience, and Ghibli films have a broader appeal than the typical Crunchyroll or Funimation crowd.

Certainly. I've long wondered why they haven't been on Netflix. I assumed because of simple hard headedness of Miyazaki etc. Then again given they let them get disneyfied, maybe its simply a matter of a big enough dump truck of cash.

I guess Netflixes current strategy of caring more about things with their name on them rather than licensing films, maybe that explains it a bit. Makes me wonder if Amazon wont just swoop in, especially now that Prime Video is way wider.

Jintor

Out of the blue perhaps but I've been seeing a lot of Kanna artwork and gifs from Maid Dragon lately, mostly things that show her as a cute innocent child analogous to Renge-chan from Non Non Biyori. The show's attempts in portraying that side of her are very neat at times but I really feel it's not really as compelling as it's supposed to be. During the first couple of episodes we see her go head to head against Tohru even if playfully, it was bloody intense and later on, she manages to outwit Saikawa by crying when she attempts to bully her - these moments(particularly the latter) give the impression that she can handle herself quite well and when she's suddenly shown as a helpless little child, I just can't buy it. Has anyone else felt the same?

Well Renge isn't really portrayed as a helpless little child either really I feel... NNB is more about Renge's inquisitive nature and how she absorbs everything around her, and in that sense I see Kanna's sort of similar character there

Quasar

Well Renge isn't really portrayed as a helpless little child either really I feel... NNB is more about Renge's inquisitive nature and how she absorbs everything around her, and in that sense I see Kanna's sort of similar character there

Yeah, Renge seems way more independent to me. Which is kind of weird given Kanna is a dragon.

Certainly. I've long wondered why they haven't been on Netflix. I assumed because of simple hard headedness of Miyazaki etc. Then again given they let them get disneyfied, maybe its simply a matter of a big enough dump truck of cash.

I guess Netflixes current strategy of caring more about things with their name on them rather than licensing films, maybe that explains it a bit. Makes me wonder if Amazon wont just swoop in, especially now that Prime Video is way wider.

Hulu is also a possibility since Disney recently cut a deal with them as well.

JCG

The ID-0 opening looks kind of stylish and definitely gives off a different impression than the PV (either of them).

I guess they're actually going for something closer to Outlaw Star/Space Dandy? If the script is good enough, that could work.

blurr

Renge isn't portrayed that way(because that's not the point of that show) but the idea is that Kanna is shown as cutesy, innocent little child like her albeit more seriously/unironically than out of simple comedy.

Narag

The ID-0 opening looks kind of stylish and definitely gives off a different impression than the PV (either of them).

I guess they're actually going for something closer to Outlaw Star/Space Dandy? If the script is good enough, that could work.

Mecha with a scarf and a mysterious masked man...

GjGES4X.jpg

All right, I guess I'll give this a shot. That last shot of the mecha in the OP is pretty rad.

kewlmyc

As many have said, Anime Strike is the only real problem here. The fact that they act like it's such a deal is the worst when they offering the exclusive stuff for free everywhere other than the US.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think Kanna is very competent but it's clear she likes to be babied and what she missed out on most during her childhood in dragonland, and why she clings to Kobayashi/Tohru so much.

Quasar

As many have said, Anime Strike is the only real problem here. The fact that they act like it's such a deal is the worst when they offering the exclusive stuff for free everywhere other than the US.

Well I assume the add-on prime video channels will roll out to other regions in time.

I actually hoped the extra revenue would get them to license more simulcasts. But the pessimist in me says they will just pocket that extra cash and not do anything with it.

Chindogg

Interviews with Monster Girls 12

I'm glad that a lot of you finally understand that the show wasn't supposed to be sensei creeping on highschoolers but sensei trying to help his students handle things like casual racism and bullying.

This series was so innocent and sweet that I'm actually going to miss it if they don't do another season. The manga is right up to the series so I'm curious as to what direction it goes in.
Although that vampire dream did seem like an adult Hikari so who knows.

Also, Succubus-sensei needs to fulfill her feelings for Takashi-sensei.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Interviews with Monster Girls 12

I'm glad that a lot of you finally understand that the show wasn't supposed to be sensei creeping on highschoolers but sensei trying to help his students handle things like casual racism and bullying.

I finally realized it was about high school girls creeping on sensei.

blurr

I think Kanna is very competent but it's clear she likes to be babied and what she missed out on most during her childhood in dragonland, and why she clings to Kobayashi/Tohru so much.

Given her first encounter with Saikawa it gives me an impression that it's less liking being babied but more on grounds of taking advantage of Kobayashi. I can understand going to school as a result of being inquisitive but not beyond that.

Well I assume the add-on prime video channels will roll out to other regions in time.

I actually hoped the extra revenue would get them to license more simulcasts. But the pessimist in me says they will just pocket that extra cash and not do anything with it.

Doubt they'll roll it out in countries without regular Amazon where they just have video, cause why would you even get video in the first place if everything is locked behind another paywall?

Quasar

Doubt they'll roll it out in countries without regular Amazon where they just have video, cause why would you even get video in the first place if everything is locked behind another paywall?

I dunno. It would be like cable with premium packages. Pay for prime video and get some content. Pony up the extra for the anime channel or the horror channel and get a shit tonne more of whatever the channels focus is. That's how I imagined it.

I dunno. It would be like cable with premium packages. Pay for prime video and get some content. Pony up the extra for the anime channel or the horror channel and get a shit tonne more of whatever the channels focus is. That's how I imagined it.

Well, they'll need to have enough stuff in their base package that's not already on Netflix first though :p

Is Seiren actually anything like Amagami SS and Photo Kano?
Same character designer (Kisai Takayama) omnibus format. Takayama previously haf some input into the writing of Amagami but I think this is the first time he's done the writing by himself and it certainly shows. The ending to the first Arc is bad and the second arc has some pacing issues but he seems to get it together by the third arc. The MC, Shouichi, isn't as likable as Junichi and can be frustrating to watch at times but I liked how he developed in the last episode

phaze

Your time is better spent rewatching Amagami SS.
I think I have already watched it 3 or 4 times.
Yes. It is very much alike, and is more or less a Amagami sequel. Just not as good.

Same character designer (Kisai Takayama) omnibus format. Takayama previously haf some input into the writing of Amagami but I think this is the first time he's done the writing by himself and it certainly shows. The ending to the first Arc is bad and the second arc has some pacing issues but he seems to get it together by the third arc. The MC, Shouichi, isn't as likable as Junichi and can be frustrating to watch at times but I liked how he developed in the last episode

Thanks.

Szadek

Rakugo Shinjuu - S2 Ep. 12
Pretty good ending. Not too much happend, but it was nice knowing how they are doing years later.

Overall, the best anime of the season. If you liked S1, you have to watch this one.

Twin Star Exorcists - Ep. 49

Oh look, a good episode for a change.
It was far from perfect, but it was infinity more watchable than the last episode.

Szadek

Mindfuckingblowing. This is going to be the most complete and uncompromised finale to a Gundam series in a long fucking time.

It's been amazing! IBO will easily end up as one of my favorite Gundam series. Both the characters and the mecha fights are just outstanding!
Awesome, time to start watching that I guess.
Nier Automata ([E]nd)

Wow.

That was nuts in a good way
Sounds like a Yoko Taro game to me.
Didn't have the money to buy this month, but I will get it soon enough.
Problem is Persona 5 is coming out soon and I also promissed my gf to buy her Yo-Kai Watch 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom