• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 has won over 240 GOTY Awards so far.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Took a birds eye shot of one half of the Velen map (Novigrad section). Posting it here because *shrug*

15gu88.jpg

sappyday

Deserved. Fucking love the game. I want to replay it soon before the next expansion.

Also Geralt is my favorite character this year. The facial animation is the best this gen with maybe Uncharted 4 topping it although TW3 is a lot more subtle. Just look at this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC8ya-KqB7Q look at Geralt's face when he gets made fun of.

Rootbeer

Banned
So very well deserved... The Witcher 3 is one of the best games I've played in my life.

I don't know if CDPR will do another Witcher game (I sure hope so), but whatever it is they do next I hope it's very similar. It was an open world RPG done damn near perfectly for its time.
I need to get around to playing my copy of TW3 when I get back to my PS4. But God damn at the hatred Fallout 4 gets from some people for even being considered GOTY by anyone. I had a hell of a fun time with it.
I enjoyed it (still enjoying, actually.) But it's such a disappointing entry that barely improved on anything. Bethesda needs to innovate more on their next game, or I'm very worried about how next Elder Scrolls is going to turn out.

Acinixys

This sounds vaguely familiar, but looking at the writers for TW3, are you sure it wasn't localized?

The English and Polish scripts were written at the same time, with a lot of back and forth between the two teams

Cant get over how everyone shits on TW3s combat but says nothing about how terrible FO4s is.

Hypron

This sounds vaguely familiar, but looking at the writers for TW3, are you sure it wasn't localized?

I can't find a source for The Witcher 3 but I found one for TW2:

"The game is being written in English; translations into other languages (including Polish) will follow."

I'd be surprised if that changed between the two games.

Tommy DJ

The English and Polish scripts were written at the same time, with a lot of back and forth between the two teams

Cant get over how everyone shits on TW3s combat but says nothing about how terrible FO4s is.

Dude have you not read this thread. A good number of posts are shitting on Fallout 4, confused how it has more GOTY awards than MGSV or Bloodborne. People just don't shit on Fallout 4's combat consistently because...well...it has way bigger problems (like literally stripping everything that makes Fallout a cRPG out) than its combat, especially when the combat was never particularly good and people desperately want it to be Fallout 1/2/New Vegas.

dlauv

I really liked FO4's combat. More than Witcher 3's, and I like Witcher 3's. Aside from general Bethesda and open world jank, I thought it had some admirable AI and gun feel. What could you hate?

The game had way worse problems than its combat.

Chalk me up as another who thinks Geralt has a lot of personality. There's a begrudging workman-like tone to his language, combined with someone knowingly capable of dealing with the scenarios he's unfortunate to be in. He tends to teeter on the bridge of professionalism and frustration, knowing what he's good at deal with, and has to deal with to meet his goals. But then loosens up and finds comfort in the company of familiar friends.

The banter between Geralt and companions is generally very good, especially since it's a two way road; it's not just Geralt throwing all the punches, but others giving him shit too.
One of my favorite interactions I've encountered so far is between Geralt and Zoltan when you're (Novigrad spoilers)
reading through Dandelions journal, trying to find women he's had affairs with.

UnrealEck

I played maybe 20-30 hours of the game and stopped. I found the combat a bit lacking. All I seemed to do was roll, strike, roll, strike with the odd bomb or spell thrown in amongst it.
I keep having the urge to retry it though because of the praise it's gotten.

I played maybe 20-30 hours of the game and stopped. I found the combat a bit lacking. All I seemed to do was roll, strike, roll, strike with the odd bomb or spell thrown in amongst it.
I keep having the urge to retry it though because of the praise it's gotten.
Don't roll,Dodge to the side and counterattack. When facing groups of enemies run away and use bombs or your crossbow. Play on a higher difficulty.

imae

Well deserved - one of the best adventure games I've ever played, and the gameplay RPG elements are quite strong too.

Generally I really like the combat and find it fun, but I feel it could definitely use some refinement, particularly with regard to user feedback, some animations and use of the Sign/Inventory wheel.

As others mentioned, I feel the game should be played on either the hard or hardest difficulty setting, its way too easy on the 'normal' setting and because of this the game doesn't demand you to consider more strategy in combat.

Don't forget the excellent Ard Skellige music that plays while you're there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gokhBJWSjeM
Fits the scene perfectly.

It does!. On a related note, I recognized that a major part of the Ard Skellige theme (1:56 onwards ) is almost identical to this music from Lineage 2:
https://youtu.be/5kEFUCEoVQo?t=6s

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This doesn't include the map expansion for Hearts of Stone does it?

Nope. Stitched together a rough full map of Velen/Novigrad + expansion landmass.

1inu13.jpg

JoeNut

Every respect?

Even the dialogue and quality of writing?

F4 is a fun game, it has many positives, the writing and dialogue and storyline isn't exactly its strong suit though.

Purely out of interest, could you explain why you think F4 is objectively better in every aspect?

Well i thought the writing was way overdone in witcher3, to the point where, as somebody who has never played a witcher game before, i was completely lost in who people were and why i cared about them, which resulted in boredom and skipping parts. i also thought the final missions were dragged out way too long, and
Ciri just disapearring through a portal and then later finding out everything was fine, without it being playable (or even a video of what happened) right at the end.
was a total cop out.

Fallouts story isn't the best thing ever, but at least it makes some kind of sense and doesn't take itself seriously and also doesn't rely on references to an in game list of who everyone is because there are too many to remember.

the combat was also super repetitive, where i actually got to the point where i never ever used the power attack in the witcher and only used 2 spells.

I liked them both, just, in my opinion fallout is better.

Went back to it to finish it off this week before picking my GOTY for GAF and it's seriously shocking me how good this game is. The only reason I took a break from it was for FFXIV and now I kind of regret letting it sit for so long.

aravuus

Well i thought the writing was way overdone in witcher3, to the point where, as somebody who has never played a witcher game before, i was completely lost in who people were and why i cared about them, which resulted in boredom and skipping parts. i also thought the final missions were dragged out way too long, and
Ciri just disapearring through a portal and then later finding out everything was fine, without it being playable (or even a video of what happened) right at the end.
was a total cop out.

Fallouts story isn't the best thing ever, but at least it makes some kind of sense and doesn't take itself seriously and also doesn't rely on references to an in game list of who everyone is because there are too many to remember.

the combat was also super repetitive, where i actually got to the point where i never ever used the power attack in the witcher and only used 2 spells.

I liked them both, just, in my opinion fallout is better.

Are you criticizing Witcher 3's writing because of the fact that you might feel lost if you haven't played the earlier games and because there are so many characters to keep track of?

Fallout 4's story is nonsensical as fuck.

Fallout 4's combat is awful. The reason less people talk about it is because it has bigger problems than that.

Yeah, I also love how the game uses facial animations. Some of Geralt's stares convey more emotion than a lot of dialogue ever could.

Definitely.

Improving crap doesn't change the fact it is still crap. So yes fo4 combat was an improvement over 3, it doesn't change the fact it still sucks.

It plays like a FPS, unless you think all FPSs suck. You have a huge variety of weapons to pick from, enemies use tactics on you. You can approach locations in multiple ways, attack enemies using brute force or stealth or traps. The combat is fine, way better than witcher 3 as it allows for actual different ways to play the game that isn't just minor changes in the projectile or sword attack you do.

Damerman

Dude's got some of the best one liners I've seen.

His half serious, half joking tone makes them all the more incredible.
Which is why djikstra was an even more satisfying character... So far he is the only one who put geralt in his place in terms of smart quips...

Love djiskstra.

Flipyap

I can't find a source for The Witcher 3 but I found one for TW2:

I'd be surprised if that changed between the two games.
From an interview with CD Projekt Red's senior writer Jakub Szamałek (originally in Polish):
"(...) we have foreign quest designers who don't speak a bit of Polish. However our story team works mainly in Polish and then anything we come up with and write gets translated to English by translators working in-house at the company.

Therefore, as far as dialogue is concerned, it's created in Polish from the beginning, later translated to English. However, as far as design work is concerned, in those cases we sometimes switch to English, as you know, whenever we're working with someone for whom Polish isn't their first language, then we have to switch to that language."

"Currently, our story team is composed exclusively of Poles and we work basically exclusively in Polish. There are some occasional bits, sometimes one of us will do something in English, but the great majority of our creative process is done in Polish."

The only thing they do first in English is VO recording, for worldwide demo purposes.

JoeNut

i don't want to turn this into F4 vs W3 any more than it already is, but how can anybody who has played W3 say that the combat is better than F4?

Witcher 3's combat consists of hold down/tap square and press the shield spell every 10 seconds, repeat until everything's dead.

KorrZ

i don't want to turn this into F4 vs W3 any more than it already is, but how can anybody who has played W3 say that the combat is better than F4?

Witcher 3's combat consists of hold down/tap square and press the shield spell every 10 seconds, repeat until everything's dead.

F4's combat consists of holding down the left trigger and pressing the shoot button every 2 seconds, repeat until everything's dead.

See how being a reductionist adds nothing to the conversation?

Hoo-doo

Banned

How are they remotely comparable?

One is a janky as fuck FPS relying heavily on VATS, one is a 3rd person sword combat game.

For what it's worth, I think the combat in W3, mediocre as it often is, is a lot more varied and dynamic compared to anything in FO4. The different enemies and the ways you'll have to approach them and what skills to use is pretty rewarding even if the direct feedback of combat is disappointing as hell.

thenexus6

I still need to buy this game, but with quite a few games I want out within the next couple of months I don't think I will be able to put enough time into it.

Heimbeck

Banned
Improving crap doesn't change the fact it is still crap. So yes fo4 combat was an improvement over 3, it doesn't change the fact it still sucks.

Hey man, no argument from me I still think the combat sucks.

Exactly. It's still terrible, but at least there wasn't a regression in that system like nearly everything else in the game.

I'm somewhat amazed at how Fallout turned out.
Like it seems weird so much stuff was botched.

That was not my playstyle at all.

Parry, Yrden and Aard for me.

Loved it.

This would get you killed in ANY fight unless you're on the easiest difficulty. I Mean this is so off the mark I have to wonder if you even played the game.

patapuf

This would get you killed in ANY fight unless you're on the easiest difficulty. I Mean this is so off the mark I have to wonder if you even played the game.

Eh, spamming Quen works if you have a damage build, especially on normal.

It's just the most boring way to play the game (as in: "i have no interest in learning any of the combat systems since this works).

It's also not an optimal and makes combat grindy and long. There's usually quicker ways to kill your opponent.

Eh, spamming Quen works if you have a damage build, especially on normal.

It's just the most boring way to play the game (as in: "i have no interest in learning any of the combat systems since this works).

It's also not an optimal and makes combat grindy and long. There's usually quicker ways to kill your opponent.

You get in fights where, unless you're VERY nimble and dodging a lot, you're going to get hit by 4 enemies in rapid succession. Quen will only save you from 1 hit. The rest of the hits will kill you.

You need to be moving constantly, dodging, and sometimes attacking. Just going in and spamming the attack button is going to kill you. Even if you're level 15 against a bunch of level 5 drowners. Because fuck drowners.

Daingurse

I mean that works I guess, Quen is OP afterall, but I don't play the game like that. I use a variety of signs and bombs in addition to heavy attacks and light attacks. Even if I can get away with just Quen and light attacks, I have no desire to play the game like that. That sounds boring. Hell, I don't even use oils and potions as much as I'd like. There's a lot of options, and using more of them is funner IMO.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
2014 was such an underwhelming year.

Smash was absolutely incredible, surprised the game doesn't get more love. I guess I always thought the Smash series was much more popular than it really is. Then again, looking at that GOTY list and apart from RE4, there's nothing on there remotely appealing.

The Witcher 3 needs to be played on the hardest setting. It becomes a game about preparation and precision at that point. It makes all the encounters really exciting.

I agree 100%. I am playing through the game now for the first time on Death March. It makes every encounter meaningful.

Top Bottom