• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 has won over 240 GOTY Awards so far.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
if the character is so dead inside what is his motivation for looking for these people or doing anything eh.... sorry games just not for me then
Because he's not exactly dead inside. I'd recommend actually reading the books and/or looking up the character before saying the actor rushed or phoned in his performance.

if the character is so dead inside what is his motivation for looking for these people or doing anything eh.... sorry games just not for me then

The whole set-up of witchers is that they are supposed to be emotionless mutants who only slay monsters for money. Geralt often hides behind this so-called witcher's code but it should be clear to anyone that Geralt does care about people and does get involved. If you can claim with a straight face that Geralt is dead inside you either haven't played the game or your resolution is so low you can't see the facial animations.

read the novels to find out why the protagonist is a bore

thats a new one
Not only were there two games before this which do a good job of setting up that premise, but even just paying attention to The Witcher 3 you'll learn enough about Witchers to realize why he's that way.

Dude comes into this thread criticizing Geralt without having even played a Witcher game.

One of the best parts about these games for book readers is that they don't cater to people new to the franchise, arguably one of the biggest issues with Game of Thrones, where they treat the audience like they're idiots.

And he obviously has a moral compass. Just... watch this trailer and you get an inkling of that.

..... fuck that trailer is good.
Been awhile since I'd seen that. Just watched the opening cinematic for The Witcher 2 as well. So good.

Almost looks live-action too.

k4n3

Banned
Jesus man. Witchers are meant to be like this. That's in the books. Geralt is also old as fuck, cynical and tired.

He can still love a few people it doesn't change his tone. Understanding the character helps.

why does this seem so familiar....omg no it the people defending starwars prequels all over again !!

ive seen actors play a role where the character is deadinside but you cant do sounding like a monotone robot... defend the game all you want but please do not defend this acting ugh...

why does this seem so familiar....omg no it the people defending starwars prequels all over again !!

ive seen actors play a role where the character is deadinside but you cant do sounding like a monotone robot... defend the game all you want but please do not defend this acting ugh...
Are you trying to compare three movies where every single character but Jar Jar sounded lifeless to a franchise centered around Witchers, who are intentionally emotionless?

Started the DLC today, so much awesome.
Damn right

According to that chart I haven't play a GOTY winner in 11 years. Good for me.
:/

and the "read the books to understand" part
So the Star Wars books explain why it feels like M. Night Shyamalan is directing everybody in the Star Wars universe before the fall of the Jedi?

Your immediate attempt to dissolve any defense by redirecting and comparing our opinion to a critically and audience panned movie trilogy is lazy as fuck and frankly insulting.

Many folks don't have issues with the actor's voice acting, and plenty of others gave great performances. Your opinion isn't the golden standard, get off your high horse.

You're going into a property with no knowledge whatsoever and saying you don't comprehend a character and why voice acting is as it is, then give vague anecdotes that you've heard better shit elsewhere.

I love gameplay. My favorite gameplay focused games are Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime and Bayonetta 2. I still can see great gameplay in The Witcher 3. Is not only about the sword combat. To me, traversing the world and discovering amazing locales is gameplay. Engaging into amazing stories by talking with people is gameplay. Preparing myself with potions and certain equipment before a fight is gameplay. I was playing Her Story the other day and I was taking notes in real life. That is gameplay to me as well, aka mechanics that are fun.

Gameplay is this "ambiguous" term people have created that might mean different things to different people. Based on my own definition, hell yes W3 has great gameplay.

Then we are quite similar cause I agree with all that and I too just played her story and took notes in real life.

It does come down to personal taste so there is no right answer. I think there is some general consensus in some areas. I think combat has certain tiers everyone agrees on with the hardcore action games like DMC, Bayonetta, ninja Gaiden being the best at combat and then there are tiers below that. But even with that its still taste, someone people don't like the difficulty or how fast paced those games are.

So obviously l am me and I have particular tastes but is still try to see this in a general point of view by comparing to thise general consensus. Witcher 3 combat I feel is probably not even mid tier. I give it praise for needing to prepare and always having to be engaged, you can't sleep walk through a fight cause enemies are dangerous. But once you know the strategy for that enemy there isn't much to it, just do the same thing over and over. Witcher 3 is so ridged in its design it rarely throws you into situations where you need to mix things up. You will pretty much always fight the same groups separately. So it's not just the combat mechanics, the simplistic enemy encounters hurt the combat as well.

You mention exploration, I love exploration. Zelda is my favorite series cause I get to explore an amazing world. And believe me I lost 150 hours just running around this stunning world but nearly every where I went I wanted more. I wanted the sense of discovery to match what I felt in other games, mainly Zelda. I want me the player to be the reason I found a mysterious cave. I want to be the one to solve a puzzle and find some brand new weapon. I want to see something unreachable and have to figure out what do I need to do to reach it. That's the part of exploration that engages me, and witcher had almost none of that. Everything has a waypoint, everything has a marker, and that damn red line telling you exactly where to go. Obviously the flip side would be to not guide you at all and then get lost in this huge ass world cause it is not designed like a Zelda game. So i understand why it's done but I don't think that makes for compelling exploration.

As for story it's where I understandably differ from many. I love a great story if it fits with compelling gameplay. TLOU, stunning achievement in storytelling with great gameplay. Still not one of my favorite games. To me story is just not that important, a good Zelda dungeon for instance will engage me in ways a compelling story will never do for me in a game. That's just me, obviously I know I am basically in the minority on that now.

k4n3

Banned
Your immediate attempt to dissolve any defense by redirecting and comparing our opinion to a critically and audience panned movie trilogy is lazy as fuck and frankly insulting.

Many folks don't have issues with the actor's voice acting, and plenty of others gave great performances. Your opinion isn't the golden standard, get off your high horse.

You're going into a property with no knowledge whatsoever and saying you don't comprehend a character and why voice acting is as it is, then give vague anecdotes that you've heard better shit elsewhere.

so you're saying its like property and it rhymes? .... sorry, high horse really? wow i say 1 bad comment about a game and get attacked by a army if anyone is on a horse look in the mirror

90%?

I don't think the entire Novigrad section (which is quite a big chunk of the main story) involves a single monster fight. A few human fights, sure, but you can even play Gwent to avoid combat during one of the missions.

Many of the side quests don't either. The Witcher contracts do, of course, although there are a couple (Doppler, Sucubus) which can be completed without any combat at all.

Good point. But following a red line and just ending a quest by choosing a dialogue option is not a better alternative IMO, I'd rather fight if those are my options. There are some interesting quests, the one where you put on a play, that was unique. The main quests that invoked a major boss battle, those were fantastic as interesting stuff happened and the boss battle was engaging in ways the regular gallery of monsters where not. Being pitted against another enemy that has your same skills, awesome. Anything involving gwent I enjoyed.

so you're saying its like property and it rhymes? .... sorry, high horse really? wow i say 1 bad comment about a game and get attacked by a army if anyone is on a horse look in the mirror

I'm saying get off your high horse because you intended to diffuse the defense by saying "oh well you sound just like the prequel people" so basically making fun of it, plus your constant mocking tones, as seen as in once again trying to equate it to a negative star wars example above, aren't exactly helping your case. You're now essentially trolling and trying to get a rise out of people.

_Clash_

I have a Polish friend in the internet who has been playing the game in its native language. He says Geralt comes off as more of a medieval James Bond in it. Ever since knowing that I can't help but he slightly disappointed us English speakers don't get to experience that version of Geralt.

Just hit the Polish VO with English subtitles.

It then becomes an arthouse experience. And it is worth it.

Ganondorfo

The popularity of this franchise got massive this year. It's The Last of Us of this year, where every Goty thread is applauding this game. I remember when this game was niche in 2007 with Witcher 1, look at it now, its being heralded as one of the best rpgs ever. It's in the Baldurs Gate 2 quality.

k4n3

Banned
I'm saying get off your high horse because you intended to diffuse the defense by saying "oh well you sound just like the prequel people" so basically making fun of it, plus your constant mocking tones, as seen as in once again trying to equate it to a negative star wars example above, aren't exactly helping your case. You're now essentially trolling and trying to get a rise out of people.

people defending dull wooden acting and saying read the books the understand the plot.... and this is not similar to the prequels how? if you cant see it you're to far into the forest my friend

Kadayi

Banned
What is a good way to enjoy the combat in this game?
I've played all the Witcher games and I just started on 3 (and I'm mostly loving it so far), but I'm just not enjoying the combat at all so far.

Witcher 1 I liked because of the changing stances you could do which lets you specialize when you're fighting groups of enemies or just doing 1-on-1 fights. The basic combat was pretty simple and just required that you time your mouse clicks accurately.
Witcher 2 I kinda hated at first, but once I learned the benefit of rolling out of the way of everything and only hitting once or twice before rolling away again it got better, and once you level up enough it got way more manageable.

But in Witcher 3 there's just something about it that's not clicking for me. Rolling away is nice for avoiding damage, but then I'm usually too far away for my attacks to hit enemies, it feels like I'm playing Batman, but when I lunge to hit enemies I don't go quite far enough 80% of the time and I'm left exposed since now I'm right in front of the enemy. I know the B button does like a smaller sidestep dodge, so maybe I should be using that more? Or maybe I should just be blocking all the time?

I think it's all the group combat that's putting me off of the combat, 1-on1- fights or 1-on-2 fights I can manage fine, but 3-4 or more enemies (which is most of the fights in this game so far) aren't that fun for me right now. Getting hit and juggled between 5 different wolves that are all attacking at once is really annoying and it happens all the time. I REALLY wish that instead of a strong attack button it was more of an area of effect button where you swing your sword all around you. Even the magic only really shoots in front of you; I'd love it if Igni were more of a circle of fire around you instead of a cone in front of you.

Invest your experience points in upgrading your signs. Quen is essential, and Aard is super useful as well, especially against human opponents. If you knock them down you can 1HK people a lot of the time.

people defending dull wooden acting and saying read the books the understand the plot.... and this is not similar to the prequels how? if you cant see it you're to far into the forest my friend

A lot is explained in the game opening tbh, including the nature of Witchers. I'm surprised if you've played the game you haven't seen this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8YUDfFtH2A

Fletcher

Yet here I am not having read the books and understanding the plot and not thinking the voice acting was bad. Strange.

k4n3

Banned
Yet here I am not having read the books and understanding the plot and not thinking the voice acting was bad. Strange.

good lord im not saying the game is the prequels im saying his argument is lol

i just said the game had poor voice acting and it sucked me out of the world witch is KEY to any RPG also the lackluster combat didn't help.... follow shortly after daniel bloodworth waiting for me in the parking lot to knife me

Definitely sets a new standard, that's for sure. It had flaws, yeah. No one in their right mind should be copying how Witcher 3 handled combat, movement, and interaction with the environment (yuck).

However, the quality of the quests and the quantity of quests is really unmatched. It's quite absurd how well they did on the story and quests. Size of the world -- though not the biggest -- is definitely a feat considering how detailed everything is.

tuxfool

Banned

Frankly, you should just leave the thread. Your utter failure to grasp the english language isn't helping here. No wonder you don't understand the game.

People have explained that they don't think the acting is dull and wooden and they explained why. Deal with it.

I love when people say that it's unacceptable to have to read the books in order to understand the characters....yet in order to understand the Souls/Bloodboune lore you have to read every freaking thing in the game, but hey, they're perfect....double standards.

tuxfool

Banned
I love when people say that it's unacceptable to have to read the books in order to understand the characters....yet in order to understand the Souls/Bloodboune lore you have to read every freaking thing in the game, but hey, they're perfect....double standards.

Bolded the key difference.
They're not even doing that. They're talking about lore and character backstory that is explained in the game. They're referencing the books just because they're a canonical source other than some person on the internet.

The other poster is wilfully ignoring what people are telling him, what else is one to do?

k4n3

Banned
Frankly, you should just leave the thread. Your utter failure to grasp the english language isn't helping here. No wonder you don't understand the game.

People have explained that they don't think the acting is dull and wooden and they explained why. Deal with it.

explain or make excuses? but you are right about one thing i should leave this thread because i see there is no room for open debate in a lovefest

tuxfool

Banned
explain or make excuses? but you are right about one thing i should leave this thread because i see there is no room for open debate in a lovefest

Clearly. you should start a thread with your awful opinions and see how many agree.

Kadayi

Banned
Debate would require one to bring a case, not demonstrate their ignorance as to what is easily known if one plays a game and simply pays attention.

Ralemont

not me
c3kXV9z.png

thank goodness, i was worried the internet didn't have enough fanboy wars for a moment

TW3 and CDPR totally deserve it. They've knocked it out of the park, bringing open world RPGs into a new era of glory. I can't think of any other game that so successfully brings in open world design into an established RPG structure, without sacrificing anything that the previous games were.

TW3 has its cake and eats it, too.
Just hit the Polish VO with English subtitles.

It then becomes an arthouse experience. And it is worth it.
The English VO's been pretty good through the series, with only a few exceptions. Doug Cockles--Geralt's VO--has always been fantastic, ever since the first game.

I'd be so crushed if they ever replaced Doug Cockle.

TW3 and CDPR totally deserve it. They've knocked it out of the park, bringing open world RPGs into a new era of glory. I can't think of any other game that so successfully brings in open world design into an established RPG structure, without sacrificing anything that the previous games were.

TW3 has its cake and eats it, too.

The English VO's been pretty good through the series, with only a few exceptions. Doug Cockles--Geralt's VO--has always been fantastic, ever since the first game.

I'd be so crushed if they ever replaced Doug Cockle.

My love for Cockle knows no bounds.

There is a ton of lore information in the Witcher games.
Oh for sure. I was actually a bit worried that this one would lose the written lore (I've played since W1) and they did a really good job of including a TON, including some very good descriptions of your quest progress/summaries as you go.

My comment was simply to differentiate between learning about a game's lore from the game itself and learning it from source material and/or supplimentary books. We got similar goofy comments about certain 360-era Halo games and Metroid: Other M that boiled down to "what? you didn't read the manga/book/graphic-novel?!?!?"

If the game itself does a poor job of filling you in, then that's a failure of the game. Not saying that Witcher 3 does that, necessarily. I read The Last Wish and didn't feel like it added anything essential (since the games take place after the books anyway? Not 100% sure on that to be honest. The Last Wish was a looong time ago)

Speaking of the books, is there an order I should read them in? Or are they all rather stand alone?

Yes. Read them in release order tbh. The short story compilations have both been released in english, and the novels have been released in every other language but english, at least fully. But there are fan translations that are pretty decent. You could purchase all the available ones in english, and then purchase the rest in another language you can read or purchase the rest and read the fan translations.

Oh for sure. I was actually a bit worried that this one would lose the written lore (I've played since W1) and they did a really good job of including a TON, including some very good descriptions of your quest progress/summaries as you go.

My comment was simply to differentiate between learning about a game's lore from the game itself and learning it from source material and/or supplimentary books. We got similar goofy comments about certain 360-era Halo games and Metroid: Other M that boiled down to "what? you didn't read the manga/book/graphic-novel?!?!?"

If the game itself does a poor job of filling you in, then that's a failure of the game. Not saying that Witcher 3 does that, necessarily. I read The Last Wish and didn't feel like it added anything essential (since the games take place after the books anyway? Not 100% sure on that to be honest. The Last Wish was a looong time ago)

All 3 games take place after the books, but there's a ton of them haha.

No thanks. It's finally time for them to work om something completely new.

I love Witcher but the ending was pretty satisfying for me and my triss canon. I don't know if I'd want more in-between game expansions instead of a whole new game where they get to be as creative as possible, I'm very very curious since they don't have an exact story or set of characters to recreate or follow.

Top Bottom