• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 has won over 240 GOTY Awards so far.

seems people in this thread cant tell the difference between good acting and phoning in a performance i can see why you enjoyed the game so much nevermind, maybe it gets better? but the fist few hours i got sick of every line in that same monotone voice with zero emotion or reflection (is there a twist and the witcher is really a robot from the future)

I don't think you understand Geralt. At all. His performance is great. As is all the other main NPCs in the game. Triss, Yen, The Bloody Baron, Keira, etc etc.... I never once felt like the voice acting detracted from the experience. Even your average quest giving NPC did a solid job.

tuxfool

Banned
It's not just this thread, Bethesda is getting constant shit on this board. Hence my comment and the "good grief."

In the time of Skyrim people would be far more favorable towards the company. But people here like progress and like developers that improve on their craft. Fallout 4 is rightly being used as the poster child for stagnation.

I don't think you understand Geralt. At all. His performance is great. As is all the other main NPCs in the game. Triss, Yen, The Bloody Baron, Keira.... I never once felt like the voice acting detracted from the experience. Even your average quest giving NPC did a solid job.

I thought Triss was pretty bad, I ended up romancing Yen based on the quality of voice acting alone pretty much.

k4n3

Banned
I don't think you understand Geralt. At all. His performance is great. As is all the other main NPCs in the game. Triss, Yen, The Bloody Baron, Keira.... I never once felt like the voice acting detracted from the experience. Even your average quest giving NPC did a solid job.

could very well be if thats what the actor was going for you might be right, but when he asked "have you seen this women" i thought i was watching T2 and it was Robert Patrick

Ultimadrago

I thought Triss was pretty bad, I ended up romancing Yen based on the quality of voice acting alone pretty much.

Yeah, Triss was one of the few major performances I found notably weak. Shook me out of it all more than a couple of times.

Geralt's performance is excellent.

Best DLC I've played since Lair of The Shadow Broker. Think I paid $8.49 for it on GOG, insane value proposition.
I seriously wasn't expecting it going in. I glanced over articles saying Hearts of Stone would be some small DLC, while Blood and Wine would be the big thing to look forward to. So my goal was to finish up The Witcher 3, and maybe Hearts of Stone just in time for Blood and Wine, so I could be ready for it and all. I just finished up Hearts of Stone, and was blown away. I'm still not even technically done with it because there's still sidequests to do, but damn.

I also just tried to play The Witcher 2. I can't though. It's too dated. I've seen people mentioning that The Witcher 3's combat is worse than 2's, and I just don't see it. The Witcher 2 doesn't even allow for full 360 degree movement. Geralt snaps to increments.

KingV

its that good?

The writing and quest design is just that far beyond other RPGs, much less open-world RPGs.

It has some of, if not THE best quest and world design I have seen in an RPG, ever. I never thought anyone would get there with a full open world.

Story story story, it's all story. Every quest is basically follow red glowy line, fight monster. That's it, that's practically the entire game. The combat isn't deep either; at least DA:I has multiple characters, team tactics.

Witcher is a quality game but it is story over substance.

Bloodborne and Souls titles are travel the world, kill random mobs, fight boss, travel the world defeat random mobs, fight the boss, travel the world defeating random mobs, fight the boss.

DMC titles are the same.

Boiling down games is fun.

tuxfool

Banned
Bloodborne and Souls titles are travel the world, kill random mobs, fight boss, travel the world defeat random mobs, fight the boss, travel the world defeating random mobs, fight the boss.

DMC titles are the same.

Don't get me started on the fact there is talking before killing monsters. Simply awful.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
seems people in this thread cant tell the difference between good acting and phoning in a performance i can see why you enjoyed the game so much nevermind, maybe it gets better? but the fist few hours i got sick of every line in that same monotone voice with zero emotion or reflection (is there a twist and the witcher is really a robot from the future)
It seems you can't detect nuance. Geralt's performance, like many others, was fantastic, the actor nailed his cynicism.

DMC titles are the same.

But those two have far far superior gameplay. Combat is a joy, combat is the main point of those games. Plus enemies come in far more varieties, combat had far more options in both of those games. And in the case of dark souls the openness of the world is part of figuring out how to move forward. Everything in witcher 3 is highlighted for you, the devs hold your hand the entire time. Basically no quest allows you to think on your own, come up with a solution to a problem. There isn't even that metroid /Zelda quality of "how do I reach that", nope, how dare you have to use your mind for anything.

Witcher 3 is one of the most basic 100 plus hour game I have ever played. It's just a series of different stories with the same gameplay repeated over and over with minimal progression of skills, no puzzles, no emergent gameplay, and one very good mini game.

I have a Polish friend in the internet who has been playing the game in its native language. He says Geralt comes off as more of a medieval James Bond in it. Ever since knowing that I can't help but he slightly disappointed us English speakers don't get to experience that version of Geralt.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
CDPR has deserved every one of those awards. Even with it's clunkiness, TW3 single-handedly justifies these new consoles in a way no other release this year has.

I got to the Sauna Scene yesterday

That's a great scene because of how sweet she was to that boy even though she doesn't like men(in the novel canon)

Majestad

Banned
But those two have far far superior gameplay. Combat is a joy, combat is the main point of those games. Plus enemies come in far more varieties, combat had far more options in both of those games. And in the case of dark souls the openness of the world is part of figuring out how to move forward. Everything in witcher 3 is highlighted for you, the devs hold your hand the entire time. Basically no quest allows you to think on your own, come up with a solution to a problem. There isn't even that metroid /Zelda quality of "how do I reach that", nope, how dare you have to use your mind for anything.

Witcher 3 is one of the most basic 100 plus hour game I have ever played. It's just a series of different stories with the same gameplay repeated over and over with minimal progression of skills, no puzzles, no emergent gameplay, and one very good mini game.

No man. No. Stop with the bs " W3 doesn't have good gameplay". It does. And add to that the other things the game excels at and is easy to see why it is such an acclaimed game.

It sounds like you don't like The Witcher 3 because it wasn't a different game.

It was exactly what it was attempting to be. It wasn't supposed to be a Souls game. It wasn't supposed to be a Zelda game.

Also, lol at Zelda games being any better when it comes to handholding. Camera slowly pans from player to something important in the room

nuance performance LMAO... sorry i dont want to get banned for trolling ill just drop it

if you have ever seen actors do voice work it can last for hours and hours and i can just picture a guy standing there basically reading off a phonebook and having to do so much dialog they dont even have time for a a second take.... im not sure what the main actors name is but im sure he wakes up at night hearing "no thats good enough, go to the next line please"
It sounds like you're trying to suggest that all voice acting is bad because the job is difficult to do.

And that doesn't make any damn sense.

k4n3

Banned
It seems you can't detect nuance. Geralt's performance, like many others, was fantastic, the actor nailed his cynicism.

nuance performance LMAO... sorry i dont want to get banned for trolling ill just drop it

if you have ever seen actors do voice work it can last for hours and hours and i can just picture a guy standing there basically reading off a phonebook and having to do so much dialog they dont even have time for a a second take.... im not sure what the main actors name is but im sure he wakes up at night hearing "no thats good enough, go to the next line please" and it was so distracting it totally sucked me right out of the game

I'm not even going to argue against this mentality anymore. We can boil down shit as long as it's convenient to you. You have your opinion, we have ours, and apparently at least 166 websites/publication disagree with you as to what makes a game experience enjoyable. Let's move on.

Majestad

Banned

if you have ever seen actors do voice work it can last for hours and hours and i can just picture a guy standing there basically reading off a phonebook and having to do so much dialog they dont even have time for a a second take.... im not sure what the main actors name is but im sure he wakes up at night hearing "no thats good enough, go to the next line please"

Lmao, you are basically admitting your criticism sucks. You dun goofed enough.

Daingurse

You don't even know Geralt's name, so it shouldn't be a surprise that you really don't get the character. The voice is great fit.

It sounds like you don't like The Witcher 3 because it wasn't a different game.

It was exactly what it was attempting to be. It wasn't supposed to be a Souls game. It wasn't supposed to be a Zelda game.

Also, lol at Zelda games being any better when it comes to handholding. Camera slowly pans from player to something important in the room

Oh please are you seriously going to try to compare a hint system from Zelda to what witcher 3 does. Any one dungeon in the entire history of the Zelda franchise has more puzzles and needs more thinking by the player to solve it than all of witcher 3 combined. Maybe people don't want puzzles in their game, that's fine but fill the 100 hours with something interesting gameplay wise other than another story and the exact same actions you have to perform over and over. Even assassins creed has variety in quests, this game doesn't. You follow a red line, it leads to a monster, that's 90% of the quest gameplay.

pablito

I'd totally be fine with CDPR delaying Cyberpunk and just working on more Witcher 3 expansions.

Gonna have to completely disagree with this. While TW3 is possibly my favorite game since the PS2 era, Hearts of Stone was fantastic and Blood and Wine could win TW3 GOTY 2 years in a row from me, I think it's a good place to let it breathe. And we're already 4 years after the announcement of Cyberpunk 2077, with no concrete info or screens/videos of the game. We know that they're working on it, some of their plans with the game, and it's "bigger" than TW3. Let's not turn this into the next Versus XIII/FFXV by neglecting it to do more Witcher 3 stuff.

And while I wouldn't hate it if more expansions for it came out after BaW, I really don't want to get burn out on TW3 or the series. Sometimes leaving it alone will benefit it.

Majestad

Banned
Oh please are you seriously going to try to compare a hint system from Zelda to what witcher 3 does. Any one dungeon in the entire history of the Zelda franchise has more puzzles and needs more thinking by the player to solve it than all of witcher 3 combined. Maybe people don't want puzzles in their game, that's fine but fill the 100 hours with something interesting gameplay wise other than another story and the exact same actions you have to perform over and over. Even assassins creed has variety in quests, this game doesn't. You follow a red line, it leads to a monster, that's 90% of the quest gameplay.

What part is it too hard for you to understand that Zelda's focus is something, Bloodborne's focus is something else, and Witcher 3 focuses on something else? Ok, let's use your flawed way of thinking when comparing Witcher 3 to other games. Why the fuck Bloodborne isn't as enormous and pretty as W3? Why the story in Bloodborne sucks so much compared to W3? Why aren't any characters you give a damn in Bloodborne compared to W3? Why the music doesn't hold a candle to W3?

Basically, why isn't a game that focuses on something else the game I want to focus on what I want?

Why the story in Bloodborne sucks so much compared to W3? Why the music doesn't hold a candle to W3?
err

I'm not on this guy's side.

Agreed, I am saying why can't witcher 3 have interesting gameplay like those games. But instead the focus is now story over gameplay and that is why it is so loved. This is a GOTY thread, the point of GOTY is to directly compare games of various genres against each other, to find out what matters most to you and others. For me it's still gameplay. The story in witcher 3 is great, the world is majestic, the gameplay is solid, all together an extremely well made game that I can see why it won so many awards. To me witcher 3 is a good game, it cant hold a candle to games where excellent varied interesting gameplay is the focus. I know it's loved but I find it a shame that story is what is valued more now.
Your post holds up until the end.

Not sure what makes you think that "story" is what made some games beat Bloodborne.

Crossing Eden

if you have ever seen actors do voice work it can last for hours and hours and i can just picture a guy standing there basically reading off a phonebook and having to do so much dialog they dont even have time for a a second take.... im not sure what the main actors name is but im sure he wakes up at night hearing "no thats good enough, go to the next line please" and it was so distracting it totally sucked me right out of the game
I've done voice work myself actually and talk to actors quite frequently. You realize part of the point is that Geralt is borderline emotionless because he's a witcher as well as a cynical old man. The actor was completely on point with nailing this.

What part is it too hard for you to understand that Zelda's focus is something, Bloodborne's focus is something else, and Witcher 3 focuses on something else. Ok, let's use your flawed way of thinking when comparing Witcher 3 to other games. Why the fuck Bloodborne isn't as enormous and pretty as W3? Why the story in Bloodborne sucks so much compared to W3? Why aren't any characters you give a damn in Bloodborne compared to W3? Why the music doesn't hold a candle to W3?

Basically, why is a game that focuses on something else the game I want to focus on what I want?

Agreed, I am saying why can't witcher 3 have interesting gameplay like those games. But instead the focus is now story over gameplay and that is why it is so loved. This is a GOTY thread, the point of GOTY is to directly compare games of various genres against each other, to find out what matters most to you and others. For me it's still gameplay. The story in witcher 3 is great, the world is majestic, the gameplay is solid, all together an extremely well made game that I can see why it won so many awards. To me witcher 3 is a good game, it cant hold a candle to games where excellent varied interesting gameplay is the focus. I know it's loved but I find it a shame that story is what is valued more now.

Hakkuei

Everything in witcher 3 is highlighted for you, the devs hold your hand the entire time. Basically no quest allows you to think on your own, come up with a solution to a problem. There isn't even that metroid /Zelda quality of "how do I reach that", nope, how dare you have to use your mind for anything.

I'm currently playing the first Witcher and this is exactly what I think of the game. Not exactly encouraging.

k4n3

Banned
What part is it too hard for you to understand that Zelda's focus is something, Bloodborne's focus is something else, and Witcher 3 focuses on something else? Ok, let's use your flawed way of thinking when comparing Witcher 3 to other games. Why the fuck Bloodborne isn't as enormous and pretty as W3? Why the story in Bloodborne sucks so much compared to W3? Why aren't any characters you give a damn in Bloodborne compared to W3? Why the music doesn't hold a candle to W3?

Basically, why isn't a game that focuses on something else the game I want to focus on what I want?

this is literally my point from the start, this game is based on story and characters and i felt the acting was so subpar it took my out of the universe the game created... if you can get past that you will be better immersed in the game and love it

but... "whats this he doesn't like what i like" man the battle stations!!! now people are just making excuses for bad or rushed acting take you're pick, and if you can get past it grats to you on being able to enjoy what im sure is a very good game

Crossing Eden

Because it's not trying to be those games. It has interesting gameplay, it just doesn't have souls gameplay or Zelda gameplay. Just like Souls and Zelda has an absolutely abysmal dialogue system that boils down to yes or no and neither reach the sprawling adventure feel of Witcher 3, because the devs aren't attempting to do that.

k4n3

Banned
I've done voice work myself actually and talk to actors quite frequently. You realize part of the point is that Geralt is borderline emotionless because he's a witcher as well as a cynical old man. The actor was completely on point with nailing this.

if the character is so dead inside what is his motivation for looking for these people or doing anything eh.... sorry games just not for me then

Majestad

Banned

I love gameplay. My favorite gameplay focused games are Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime and Bayonetta 2. I still can see great gameplay in The Witcher 3. Is not only about the sword combat. To me, traversing the world and discovering amazing locales is gameplay. Engaging into amazing stories by talking with people is gameplay. Preparing myself with potions and certain equipment before a fight is gameplay. I was playing Her Story the other day and I was taking notes in real life. That is gameplay to me as well, aka mechanics that are fun.

Gameplay is this "ambiguous" term people have created that might mean different things to different people. Based on my own definition, hell yes W3 has great gameplay.

tuxfool

Banned
this is literally my point from the start, this game is based on story and characters and i felt the acting was so subpar it took my out of the universe the game created... if you can get past that you will be better immersed in the game and love it

That's is your opinion, it is quite unlikely it is shared by many other people, even those that don't like the game.

Daingurse

if the character is so dead inside what is his motivation for looking for these people or doing anything eh.... sorry games just not for me then

Play the game? Lol it's why I enjoy this series, Geralt is an interesting character. He is very blunted emotionally, but has this great sardonic wit and sense of humour.

Okay, then stop trying to critically analyze the characters in a universe you know nothing about.

I love gameplay. My favorite gameplay focused games are Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime and Bayonetta 2. I still can see great gameplay in The Witcher 3. Is not only about the sword combat. To me, traversing the world and discovering amazing locales is gameplay. Engaging into amazing stories by talking with people is gameplay. Preparing myself with potions and certain equipment before a fight is gameplay. I was playing Her Story the other day and I was taking notes in real life. That gameplay to me as well.

Gameplay is this "ambiguous" term people have created that it might mean different things to what others think. Based on my own definition, hell yes W3 has great gameplay.
For a lot of people it would appear that gameplay = killing things.

DukeBobby

90%?

I don't think the entire Novigrad section (which is quite a big chunk of the main story) involves a single monster fight. A few human fights, sure, but you can even play Gwent to avoid combat during one of the missions.

Many of the side quests don't either. The Witcher contracts do, of course, although there are a couple (Doppler, Sucubus) which can be completed without any combat at all.

Jesus man. Witchers are meant to be like this. That's in the books. Geralt is also old as fuck, cynical and tired.

He can still love a few people it doesn't change his tone. Understanding the character helps.

What is a good way to enjoy the combat in this game?
I've played all the Witcher games and I just started on 3 (and I'm mostly loving it so far), but I'm just not enjoying the combat at all so far.

Witcher 1 I liked because of the changing stances you could do which lets you specialize when you're fighting groups of enemies or just doing 1-on-1 fights. The basic combat was pretty simple and just required that you time your mouse clicks accurately.
Witcher 2 I kinda hated at first, but once I learned the benefit of rolling out of the way of everything and only hitting once or twice before rolling away again it got better, and once you level up enough it got way more manageable.

But in Witcher 3 there's just something about it that's not clicking for me. Rolling away is nice for avoiding damage, but then I'm usually too far away for my attacks to hit enemies, it feels like I'm playing Batman, but when I lunge to hit enemies I don't go quite far enough 80% of the time and I'm left exposed since now I'm right in front of the enemy. I know the B button does like a smaller sidestep dodge, so maybe I should be using that more? Or maybe I should just be blocking all the time?

I think it's all the group combat that's putting me off of the combat, 1-on1- fights or 1-on-2 fights I can manage fine, but 3-4 or more enemies (which is most of the fights in this game so far) aren't that fun for me right now. Getting hit and juggled between 5 different wolves that are all attacking at once is really annoying and it happens all the time. I REALLY wish that instead of a strong attack button it was more of an area of effect button where you swing your sword all around you. Even the magic only really shoots in front of you; I'd love it if Igni were more of a circle of fire around you instead of a cone in front of you.

Top Bottom