• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 has won over 240 GOTY Awards so far.

Drakhyrr

People saying Witchers are intentionally emotionless...

Well, I haven't read the books, but the only source of such information I got from the games were leaflets and speeches making bigoted anti-mutant propaganda.

It is elsewhere VERY obvious that this is not true. If anything, what makes them cynical is the amount of shit they have to put up living in such a crapsack world. And that's not at all exclusive to witchers.

A lot is explained in the game opening tbh, including the nature of Witchers. I'm surprised if you've played the game you haven't seen this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8YUDfFtH2A

Don't fall for what he says. Clearly one of those eternal fire bigots.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oh for sure. I was actually a bit worried that this one would lose the written lore (I've played since W1) and they did a really good job of including a TON, including some very good descriptions of your quest progress/summaries as you go.

My comment was simply to differentiate between learning about a game's lore from the game itself and learning it from source material and/or supplimentary books. We got similar goofy comments about certain 360-era Halo games and Metroid: Other M that boiled down to "what? you didn't read the manga/book/graphic-novel?!?!?"

If the game itself does a poor job of filling you in, then that's a failure of the game. Not saying that Witcher 3 does that, necessarily. I read The Last Wish and didn't feel like it added anything essential (since the games take place after the books anyway? Not 100% sure on that to be honest. The Last Wish was a looong time ago)
Well in this case the guy didn't seem to know anything about the character at all and just assumed it was phoned in acting when it couldn't have been anymore dead on. Which is why I and others suggested that he actually learn about the character first.

No thanks. It's finally time for them to work om something completely new.

We wouldn't be losing anything in that scenario though. More expansions for those that want them and we'll still get Cyberpunk after that. Now that I think about it, they have two teams now anyway so they could feasibly work on both at the same time.

why does this seem so familiar....omg no it the people defending starwars prequels all over again !!

ive seen actors play a role where the character is deadinside but you cant do sounding like a monotone robot... defend the game all you want but please do not defend this acting ugh...

You're just another no idea on the internet. What are you even talking about? You clearly don't know.

We wouldn't be losing anything in that scenario though. More expansions for those that want them and we'll still get Cyberpunk after that. Now that I think about it, they have two teams now anyway so they could feasibly work on both at the same time.

If they're able to work on both, that's fine. Otherwise, I don't want to wait an extra six months to a year for Cyberpunk, simply because CD Projekt wants to create another Witcher expansion. Two is enough for me.

Well, I haven't read the books, but the only source of such information I got from the games were leaflets and speeches making bigoted anti-mutant propaganda.

It is elsewhere VERY obvious that this is not true. If anything, what makes them cynical is the amount of shit they have to put up living in such a crapsack world. And that's not at all exclusive to witchers.
Yeah, witchers play up the myths surrounding them or make them up outright. They're loners by trade, mutants, so of course they seem distant. But they're far from emotionless, and farther from heartless.

It's a harsh reality that witchers can't be heroes, but they can live their own way. Y'know... Killing Monsters.

Crossing Eden

Anyone else read this as Bloodborne was robbed of over 166 GOTY Awards so far.
I definitely enjoyed my time with W3 after having a blast with BB but being soured on the fact that the co-op was needlessly obscure despite being a heavy focus of marketing and the incredibly poorly designed chalice dungeons that the creative director for some reason had little to do with.

Yeah, witchers play up the myths surrounding them or make them up outright. They're loners by trade, mutants, so of course they seem distant. But they're far from emotionless, and farther from heartless.

It's a harsh reality that witchers can't be heroes, but they can live their own way. Y'know... Killing Monsters.
Or other things to occupy their time aside from monster hunting.

If they're able to work on both, that's fine. Otherwise, I don't want to wait an extra six months to a year for Cyberpunk, simply because CD Projekt wants to create another Witcher expansion. Two is enough for me.

We've been waiting since 2013 with barely any information on it though. I'd be fine with an extra 6-12 months, but I get where you're coming from. There's not much to even be excited about yet so it wouldn't really matter to me. The thought of getting more expansions on the level of Hearts of Stone is tantalizing and I'm not alone on that based on the OT.

Emotionless is a bit exagerated admittedly, but the process that turns them into Witchers completely fucks them up to the point it does affect them emotionally, not only physically. chemically neuters them too. But yes alongside the persecution of mutants, prolonged lives and cruelty/ugliness of the world it isn't hard to see why so many of them sound tired or angry. Geralt is one that was particularly and uniquely affected by the process, hence the white hair.

I haven't read the books, and I find Geralt anything but boring and lifeless. I wasn't initially dazzled by his voice actor, but after 3 games it's hard to imagine him sounding different. I honestly find Geralt to be one of the most compelling protagonists in all of gaming.

I haven't read the books, and I find Geralt anything but boring and lifeless. I wasn't initially dazzled by his voice actor, but after 3 games it's hard to imagine him sounding different. I honestly find Geralt to be one of the most compelling protagonists in all of gaming.
Dude's got some of the best one liners I've seen.

His half serious, half joking tone makes them all the more incredible.

AU Tiger

I definitely enjoyed my time with W3 after having a blast with BB but being soured on the fact that the co-op was needlessly obscure despite being a heavy focus of marketing and the incredibly poorly designed chalice dungeons that the creative director for some reason had little to do with.

Or other things to occupy their time aside from monster hunting.

I did this part last night and was legit laughing my ass off. Everyone's seriousness in so much of the game up to that point really made making all the obvious wrong
(right)
choices that much more enjoyable.

There's also the frying pan quest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9-aHUyokr4

Thread has me all excited to get back in. Have a screenshot...

24156435716_24c69ae90e_o.jpg

Mmmm.... Skellige....

nib95

Banned
It's an absolutely fantastic game. Not my personal GOTY, and naturally not without it's faults, but I can fully appreciate why it's being chosen. Weirdly, I had more fun with Witcher 2 overall, but for whatever reason the previous title wasn't quite as well received.

It's an absolutely fantastic game. Not my personal GOTY, and naturally not without it's faults, but I can fully appreciate why it's being chosen. Weirdly, I had more fun with Witcher 2 overall, but for whatever reason the previous title wasn't quite as well received.

I'm not sure if I can say I had more fun with Witcher 2, but I definitely enjoyed the game and replayed it like 6 times already. My only gripes were I can't find more monsters contracts and scoundrels to kill as they are pretty limited, and I can't explore more places in the game. I wanted to play the game for longer, but it didn't allow it. I actually loved the combat and preparations. The Witcher 3 just made my dreams from Witcher 2 come true.

Crossing Eden

I loved Witcher 2 but had a lot more fun gameplay wise with W3. They fixed every issue I had with the combat in Witcher 2.

dlauv

I feel like Witcher 2 had more reliable combat, but it did have a couple years of patching under its belt before I had played it.

Also enjoyed the story in TW2 more, but TW3's side-quests made up for that.

Tommy DJ

I'd sort of agree. For me, the main quest is easily the weakest part of the game, especially with the fact that there's absolutely no urgency to actually find Ciri while Geralt gets distracted by every village and random encounter he finds. Out of the three, I feel that The Witcher 1 is the only one that had a strong main questline.

I also think The Witcher 1's portrayal of Geralt, as a pretty immature and hypocritical dude, is much stronger than the later games where there isn't really a whole lot of consequence to Geralt being a busybody. Its why the whole pay-off at the end is just so good.

Daingurse

As did I at the end of the day. I felt the story was a lot more compelling in 2. It's still not really saying much in regards to how much I love the Witcher 3 though. That game is really up there for me, and will become my new bar for open world games. I just really loved Witcher 2. For me it really was a case of the right game at the right time. I adore that game.

The Witcher 2's combat, world design, quest design, writing and atmosphere are inferior though(though still excellent in writing). There are a couple of boring stretches in the main quest too(especially chapter 1). It wasn't nearly as dense with quality quests and it's linearity felt too restrictive after the first game. I'm replaying The Witcher 2 rn actually. I love its political story, but it is the weakest game in the trilogy.

Varna

The game is pretty great. I don't think I will ever play more then 50% of it though.

Even on the hardest difficulty I find myself way OP about the time I hit the second map. It makes everything after that feel pretty pointless. I want to exploration to feel like the first 20 or so hours.

EDIT:

It's taken me a long time to get to this point. But, I think the TW2 is pretty bad. I can still play through the first game but part 2 is just not a fun game to play through. I feel like I'm just constantly struggling with the controls and the meele combat is just abysmal. I had similar issue with TW3 but the newer responsive controls really did wonder for it.

Anyone else more often than not resolve conflict with the sword? I keep having the option to sweet talk bros... But I just don't have a need for Jedi mind tricks when I've got those sweet sweet Blades on my back.

senahorse

Anyone else more often than not resolve conflict with the sword? I keep having the option to sweet talk bros... But I just don't have a need for jedi mind tricks when I've got those sweet sweet Blades on my back.

Not often, don't like blunting my blade over the commoners.

Anyone else more often than not resolve conflict with the sword? I keep having the option to sweet talk bros... But I just don't have a need for jedi mind tricks when I've got those sweet sweet Blades on my back.

I couldn't NOT use the jedi mind tricks when it was available. You get the same amount of experience, if not more, for a mission and skip a combat encounter finishing the game slightly faster.

dlauv

It's taken me a long time to get to this point. But, I think the TW2 is pretty bad. I can still play through the first game but part 2 is just not a fun game to play through. I feel like I'm just constantly struggling with the controls and the meele combat is just abysmal. I had similar issue with TW3 but the newer responsive controls really did wonder for it.

I hear ya'.

I first started TW2 on Dark and it taught me everything awful about its combat. Then I went to beat it on Insane. I've come out with the conclusion that the combat is way more reliable than it seems, but unintuitive (doesn't make as much sense as it should) and hampered by a janky leveling system.

Basically, the roll doesn't work like you would think it should, but more on that later. Also, the light attack locks you into an almost unpredictable animation length. It's based on distance away from the enemy, and you can eyeball it and kind of get a feel for which attack its going to be. But it's not reliable, and it doesn't generally hit other enemies, which makes it suck even more in a crowd. That's why I would generally recommend using the heavy attack for most scenarios, unless you have the whirl perk or need to close in some distance.

There is no invincibility on the roll, and you would normally assume to roll away from the enemy. Well, enemies get an upgrade to backstab damage just as you do. So what you'll want to do is upgrade backstab protection and possibly roll speed/length (it's one perk) as quickly as possible. They're in the Swordsman skill tree. If you get the latter perk, you can basically roll circles around the enemies and control the battlefield easier. If you unsheathe, you can roll places faster than running. But I digress.

Fights in TW2 work by basically corralling all of the enemies into a group and hacking at them with the heavy attack. As you corral, some enemies may be faster than others, or their attack patterns may keep them from being corralled as easy. If someone is ahead of the pack, tap light attack to basically get to them quickly.

Most enemies counter attack after two hits, but you can offset that with an Aard or Quen.

If you ever play again, I hope this helps.

The Witcher 3 was also written in English so there isn't really any reason to play it in another language imo.

This sounds vaguely familiar, but looking at the writers for TW3, are you sure it wasn't localized?

ManeKast

This game deserves every award it gets. Such a massive improvement over 2 and raised the bar high for Western RPGs.

If CDPR continue on this curve their next gane will reach legendary status.

Majestad

Banned
The game is pretty great. I don't think I will ever play more then 50% of it though.

Even on the hardest difficulty I find myself way OP about the time I hit the second map. It makes everything after that feel pretty pointless. I want to exploration to feel like the first 20 or so hours.

EDIT:

Get the expansion pack. Apart from being fantastic, it is considerably more challenging than the base game.

Hypron

The English VO's been pretty good through the series, with only a few exceptions. Doug Cockles--Geralt's VO--has always been fantastic, ever since the first game.

I'd be so crushed if they ever replaced Doug Cockle.

The Witcher 3 was also written in English so there isn't really any reason to play it in another language imo.

Doug Cockle is awesome. Geralt is probably my favorite protagonist in gaming.

Yeah, I also love how the game uses facial animations. Some of Geralt's stares convey more emotion than a lot of dialogue ever could.

_Clash_

Polish Geralt >>>> English Geralt.

maybe play a session like this, you might enjoy it. My partner is an english native speaker and prefers to play this way so it definitely has merit.

dlauv

Geralt sounds super suave in Polish, and I love it, but everyone else in the game sounds better in English. There are also tons of voices going on constantly, so not understanding a lot of it takes me out of the exploration and such. In the books, Geralt is supposed to have an unpleasant, gravelly voice anyway.

erawsd

Yeah, one of the through lines in the books is deconstructing the myth of Witchers, which is perpetuated by Witchers themselves. They're suppose to be emotionless and amoral but nearly everything Geralt does is governed by emotion and his sense of morality. He had one wish in the world and it was that he and Yenn would love each other forever. He takes in Ciri because he feels great affection toward her. He dies trying to save non-humans from being slaughtered. Book Yenn and Dandelion both call him on it at points where he tries to play the "I dont care because Im a Witcher" card.

I need to get around to playing my copy of TW3 when I get back to my PS4. But God damn at the hatred Fallout 4 gets from some people for even being considered GOTY by anyone. I had a hell of a fun time with it.

reKon

Banned
I took the advice in this thread and I'm having a more enjoyable time with the combat in Witcher 2. I'm at the prison sequence in the game. Now the combat seems a bit too easy now that I just have to roll around and wait for open strikes, mixed in with my stun and fire attack. Someone mentioned that game actually gets easier as you level. So I may switch from normal if stays easy. Enjoyable the story so far.

GHG

Gold Member
How is this game so damn beautiful?!

I stop and ask myself the same thing while I'm playing. It's difficult to find a bad angle of anything. Which is rare in an open world game.

It's the most beautifully crafted open world I've ever seen by a mile.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Chalk me up as another who thinks Geralt has a lot of personality. There's a begrudging workman-like tone to his language, combined with someone knowingly capable of dealing with the scenarios he's unfortunate to be in. He tends to teeter on the bridge of professionalism and frustration, knowing what he's good at deal with, and has to deal with to meet his goals. But then loosens up and finds comfort in the company of familiar friends.

The banter between Geralt and companions is generally very good, especially since it's a two way road; it's not just Geralt throwing all the punches, but others giving him shit too.

Majestad

Banned
Chalk me up as another who thinks Geralt has a lot of personality. There's a begrudging workman-like tone to his language, combined with someone knowingly capable of dealing with the scenarios he's unfortunate to be in. He tends to teeter on the bridge of professionalism and frustration, knowing what he's good at deal with, and has to deal with to meet his goals. But then loosens up and finds comfort in the company of familiar friends.

The banter between Geralt and companions is generally very good, especially since it's a two way road; it's not just Geralt throwing all the punches, but others giving him shit too.

Lambert, haha.

The count has increased to 175.

While it's still growing, it's not all about the total number as well.
If we count the percentage..

Since the raw number of GOTY awards they count each year seem to fluctuate a lot, I decided to look at the percentage of all the GOTY awards the winner ended up getting:

Currently Witcher 3 has won 58% of all the goty awards counted.
In 2014, Dragon age won 33 % of all the goty awards counted.
In 2013, The last of us won 48 % of all the goty awards counted.
In 2012, The walking dead won 19 % of all the goty awards counted.
In 2011, Skyrim won 56 % of all the goty awards counted.

I haven't looked at the years before 2011, maybe I will do that later, but out of those 5 years, percentage -wise The Witcher III is the most successful game right now! Skyrim is VERY close though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I don't recall it ever happening with other games, but I was genuinely sad to see my time playing as him come to an end once I had finished it.

Top Bottom