• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With XB1X and PS4 Pro. Can we expect this generation to last longer?

Gemüsepizza;240768848 said:
No. Sony thought it was necessary to release new hardware 3 years after PS4 release. Why would they suddenly decide to wait longer? PS5 will be out in 2019, maybe 2020 at the latest.

The new hardware is still a Ps4 though.

gimmmick

Whether anyone likes it or not, this generation is going to last us 8 years. I don't expect anything happening till March 2020. (when the console get's announced). As for having the most powerful system, up until this generation sony never gave a damn of which system was the most powerful. I don't think they want to lose the 60 million install base that they have in present day to sell software.

Whether anyone likes it or not, this generation is going to last us 8 years. I don't expect anything happening till March 2020. (when the console get's announced). As for having the most powerful system, up until this generation sony never gave a damn of which system was the most powerful. I don't think they want to lose the 60 million install base that they have in present day to sell software.
i hope you're right

12Dannu123

Sony probably has two road maps right now

Depends on sales and how Scorpio goes along imo

They want to be first though and ms may want to be first too so it depends imo

I feel ms doesn't want to do gems but continuous upgrades.

Sony needs a super cheap and super super slim ps4.

I imagine Sony will do a Sony ps4 switch vita combo soon.

Good luck doing that. That's almost impossible considering that you won't be able to run PS4 Games on a small farm factor and without talking about X86 efficiency problems.

Servbot24

Banned
Nah, I think both Sony and MS learned their lesson last gen and will not keep this gen going much longer. I expect the PS5 latest 2019-2020 and that would be a good time for the next step.

What lesson? 360 was a success overall, and PS3 gained steam in the later years.

Nerazar

Probably not. I don't buy into the idea that Sony and MS are iterating ever 2-3 years. This will burn money eventually and burn-out the fans if they expect us to pay $400-$500 every 2 or so years.

Gamezone

Gold Member
What happens to the Xbox One X when the next Xbox releases? Will every game released on the next Xbox also have to function with the X? Same with PS4 Pro?

jstripes

Banned
My prediction is there are no more "generations", at least for a while. Just iterative releases every few years based on the same architecture.

R&D for building new architectures is too expensive, and devs are tired of learning new platforms.

Next year we'll potentially see Red Dead, Anthem, God Of War, Spider-Man, Metro, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Kingdom Hearts 3, and The Last Of Us 2.

That will almost certainly mean there won't be any more big games from at least Rockstar and Naughty Dog this generation after that.

Some of those will probably fall into 2019, so I don't think there's any way they'll release new consoles until Fall 2019 at the earliest. And since that's when I'd like to see a new console, but they never seem to come out soon enough for me, I would expect a new console a year later in Fall 2020.

So, 7 years.

And I think you're going to get a shock when PS5 gets announced and you can't play PS5 gen games on your PS4..... but you can on PS4 Pro.

Game development at the AAA level is now too expensive to absorb the hard install base resets every 5-7 years.

Not remotely true. Game developers will just target cross-gen games again like they did at the beginning of this gen. until the new gen console installed bases are large enough to support sales of the latest games alone (i.e. usually by fall of year two).

PS4Pro/XB1X are still crippled by Jaguar CPUs. There's little chance that devs on PS5 will have any desire to be held back throughout next-gen by such a shitty CPU... no chance.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And I think you're going to get a shock when PS5 gets announced and you can't play PS5 gen games on your PS4..... but you can on PS4 Pro.

Game development at the AAA level is now too expensive to absorb the hard install base resets every 5-7 years.

This is what I'm expecting and hoping for.

This is why I said MS might have a better head start going into next gen. The XBO X specs vs the PS4 Pro's.

I wouldnt expect them to make them work for the 2013 machines. From Pro, XBO X is better.

I hope we see next gen 2019

Just look at xbox one x, nothing during their game announcements impressed me visually, besides Anthem. And thats not because its at 4k res....

Xenoflare

I hope so.

If these upgraded models aren't for extending the generation then it's like a middle finger to the people who invested in them.

Although I'm not a keen fan on the constant iteration upgrades either. Hopefully the Pro and X will last for a long while.

AmyS

Sony even said the whole point of the pro was to extend the generation. And the one x isn't even out yet. I expect ps5 in 2020 and xb2 in 2021.

But last September Mark Cerny said PS4 Pro was arriving mid generation, and that was 3 years after PS4 launched. Another 3 years from then means 2019.

I think PS5 will probably arrive Fall 2020.

However, there are a few arguments to be made for 2021 or 2022 and that being, having access to a 5nm process using Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) lithography. It might be the only way to get a truly huge leap in CPU/GPU over PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

2021+ also might mean having access to not overly expensive HBM3, hopefully anyway. HBM3 would allow for several TB/sec memory bandwidth with 64GB and won't be as expensive to produce as HBM2 is currently. HBM3 is meant to first be available for PC cards in 2020.

Anyway, there are both good *and* bad reasons to start the next gen in any given year, be that 2019, 2020, 2021, or later.

As someone who just bought a pro and is thinking about buying an Xbox one s I would like to see this gen last till at least 2020. But who know how it will actually play out.

gortsi

Neo Member
While I have no idea whether this generation will last longer than previous ones, it amazes me that there are developers that still haven't put out a new game after four years in this generation (I.e. Rockstar)

This is what I'm expecting and hoping for.

This is why I said MS might have a better head start going into next gen. The XBO X specs vs the PS4 Pro's.

I wouldnt expect them to make them work for the 2013 machines. From Pro, XBO X is better.

Both Pro and Xb1X are gimped by Jaguar CPUs.

If next-gen consoles go big on the CPU with a full fat 4-8 core Zen-based CPU on a 7nm process, there's next to no chance that the mid-gen consoles will continue to be supported throughout the rest of the new gen.

Tbh, next-gen could be looking at consoles with beefy Zen-based CPUs and 13-15TFLOPs GPUs. Why on earth would anyone want these new machine to be held back by 3-4 year old hardware with exceptionally shitty netbook CPUs?

But last September Mark Cerny said PS4 Pro was arriving mid generation, and that was 3 years after PS4 launched. Another 3 years from then means 2019.

I think PS5 will probably arrive Fall 2020.

However, there are a few arguments to be made for 2021 or 2022 and that being, having access to a 5nm process using Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) lithography. It might be the only way to get a truly huge leap in CPU/GPU over PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

2021+ also might mean having access to not overly expensive HBM3, hopefully anyway. HBM3 would allow for several TB/sec memory bandwidth with 64GB and won't be as expensive to produce as HBM2 is currently. HBM3 is meant to first be available for PC cards in 2020.

Anyway, there are both good *and* bad reasons to start the next gen in any given year, be that 2019, 2020, 2021, or later.

AmyS, this is a unique take. But I suspect neither Sony nor MS would want to wait for 5nm when the 7nm TSMC volume production process will be mature by 2019.

Depending on the target performance of next-gen machines (i'm hoping for around 15TFLOPs), GDDR6 chips at 16Gbps should provide enough memory bandwidth to feed a GPU at that level. I'm not sure that HBM would ever really be cheap enough for console adoption. Also having the HBM stacks on die might limit fabrication options, which wouldn't be desirable for console makers who will want to be able to shop around for the best price.

Also, there an argument that launching at 7nm gives you a nice easy shrink to 5nm in two years time for you slim unit. Whereas, with 5nm getting closer to the physical limits of existing lithographic process tech, you may not have anywhere to go after that, or at least for a very long time (even the mighty Intel is feeling the heat here).

Sony is making money hand over fist on a console that is showing no signs of stopping.

We're not getting a PS5 until 2020 at the earliest.

AmyS

AmyS, this is a unique take. But I suspect neither Sony nor MS would want to wait for 5nm when the 7nm TSMC volume production process will be mature by 2019.

Depending on the target performance of next-gen machines (i'm hoping for around 15TFLOPs), GDDR6 chips at 16Gbps should provide enough memory bandwidth to feed a GPU at that level. I'm not sure that HBM would ever really be cheap enough for console adoption. Also having the HBM stacks on die might limit fabrication options, which wouldn't be desirable for console makers who will want to be able to shop around for the best price.

Also, there an argument that launching at 7nm gives you a nice easy shrink to 5nm in two years time for you slim unit. Whereas, with 5nm getting closer to the physical limits of existing lithographic process tech, you may not have anywhere to go after that, or at least for a very long time (even the mighty Intel is feeling the heat here).

All reasonable points, especially going for 7nm at first, because there's only one shink left within a reasonable amount of time, 5nm a couple years later.

I'd hope that Sony and Microsoft aim for 7nm+ (aka true 7nm) rather than vanilla 7nm which is really more like 10nm, in the same sense that 14/16nm is similar to 20nm.

Speaking of gens I think MS not doing any more "generations" . I think they will make a Xbox one X2 in 2019 with ryzen CPU and bump in gpu and kill off the Xbox one S.

120v

new consoles are indicative sony and MS aren't ready to wrap things up for another year or three but i doubt the Pro and 1X will in and of themselves extend the gen's life. they're still tethered to base hardware requirements so you're still only going to get so much mileage out of them

AmyS

Speaking of gens I think MS not doing any more "generations" . I think they will make a Xbox one X2 in 2019 with ryzen CPU and bump in gpu and kill off the Xbox one S.

That's really PR speak IMO.

Microsoft will have another console, but not before 2020 or 2021. It would be suicide for them to launch yet another new console just two years after Xbox One X, even though Xbox One X is still tethered to Xbox One,

Xbox One S and Xbox One X will remain Microsoft's consoles through the rest of this decade.

Earliest Microsoft would have a new console is late 2020, but I think they're more likely to have new & more powerful consoles at 4 year intervals, not including slim revisions.

2013: Durango / Xbox One.
2017: Scorpio / Xbox One X
2021: Xbox ???? (this will be 8 years after Xbox One and PS4 released)

Looking at pro and x, I would say it'll last untill 2020 at least , but the whole gaming industry was on a halt at the end of last gen cuz it lasted so damn long, so who knows.

Unlike last gen though, sales dont seem like they are gonna slow down in the next 2 years because unlike last gen, there are alot of diverse and exciting games coming out this time around.

This is the obvious conclusion...last gen was 8 years...this gen will be the same or longer

There is no other conclusion

People keep saying this and i don't understand. What lesson did they learn? That they can make profit continuously without having to more often spend millions on r&d for new consoles? That devs want them to wait longer between generations because it takes longer now to get their engines and tool chains up to scratch and since it takes longer they want to be able to spend longer in that sweet spot?

Seriously what did they learn

Im with you. I feel like most times people don't even consider those very realistic points.

Who cares if technology is growing faster, the tool sets need time to mature to make use of the hardware.

That's really PR speak IMO.

Microsoft will have another console, but not before 2020 or 2021. It would be suicide for them to launch yet another new console just two years after Xbox One X, even though Xbox One X is still tethered to Xbox One,

Xbox One S and Xbox One X will remain Microsoft's consoles through the rest of this decade.

Earliest Microsoft would have a new console is late 2020, but I think they're more likely to have new & more powerful consoles at 4 year intervals, not including slim revisions.

2013: Durango / Xbox One.
2017: Scorpio / Xbox One X
2021: Xbox ???? (this will be 8 years after Xbox One and PS4 released)

Everyone will have different opinions on what's right or wrong .maybe every 4 is what's best and a new Xbox one will come then but I do think they will keep it connected to Xbox one .

AmyS

Everyone will have different opinions on what's right or wrong .maybe every 4 is what's best and a new Xbox one will come then but I do think they will keep it connected to Xbox one .

I doubt it will be connected to Xbox One and therefore, be limited to games that have to run on the 2013 console.

While I am sure the next Xbox will be backward compatible with all Xbox One games (including Scorpio upgraded games) but at some point, games cannot be held back by the Jaguar CPUs and the original Xbox One hardware. I think Microsoft will keep going forward with 4x to 5x more power every 4 years. The names won't matter but Xbox Two X in 2025 will be tied to Xbox Two in 2021. Xbox Two and Xbox Two X will play their own games in addition to all Xbox One games.

Dlacy13g

I think the notion of generations of console kinda died with PS4 Pro and more importantly Xbox One X. I think these consoles are a bridge between this generation and the next.
System architecture will be done in a way to allow continuation of compatibility. The new gen will consist of games that can run on newest hardware in about 3 yrs time but also can run on PS4 Pro / Xbox One X as a min spec machine for the platform but they will cut out the lowest spec Xbox One S/PS4 base models.

Ushay

They learned their lesson. They released mid gen refreshes.

Exactly, if they wanted an early gen reboot it would have happened differently.

Costs are high, and player populations need not be fragmented now that the consoles use PC architecture. Lowest common denominator will be the philosophy going forward I think.

Generation doesn't end until the machines are literally struggling to run the latest Battlefield, Crysis, GTA level games.

So far the OG PS4 is still doing very good, third parties games like RE7, Battlefield 1, For Honor all look fantastic and runs pretty well on the consoles, I see NO ONE complaining about the graphics or the performance on these new PS4/XBO releases.
Even I feel like my PS4 is holding up perfectly fine, I don't even feel like I need a PS4 Pro, let alone PS5...

You do not move on to the next generation until the masses feel like their machines are old and weak. That's how business work.

This generation can last another 5 years and I would have no problem with it.

odhiex

The PS5/next Xbox could released in 2019/20.

But I expect that the PS4/Xbox one would be supported for at least until 2021/23 (8-10 years lifespan)

I fully anticipate another revision each from XBOX and Playstation. They can't even do 4k properly yet in intense games, so why not squeak out another 2 years with the same giant game libraries.

Playstation Ultimate and XBOX XS incoming 2020.

Koutsoubas

I believe from next year games will start dropping to 720p on OG PS4/XO.

No way the added fidelity like Anthem's can run on these consoles

So probably new generation is 2 years away

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I think and hope that this generation lasts longer because of the advent of the Pro/X. Some developers have only put out 1 game or none at all. I'd hope we receive at least 2 games from the likes Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Sucker Punch. So until that happens and technology reaches a point to where its a large enough jump to what would be done on that tech can't be replicated on Pro/X and is affordable, then and only then should we have new consoles.

Just my own guesses...

Things continue as planned for the next couple years.

Early 2019 Sony announces the PS5. Releases in November 2019. More powerful than the XB1X, but not grossly. Ryzen CPU, 16GB ram, 8ishTFLOPS. $399.

Microsoft doesn't respond at all. But publishers start announcing games for only PS5 and XB1X. By 2020 half of the new games won't work on PS4/XB1. By 2021 over 80% of games are PS5/XB1X. Microsoft announces the follow up to XB1X and we're in a similar situation situation to what we're in now - with XB1X games playing better on the XB1X follow up.

Unless Xbox makes a huge comeback, I don't think Sony will do another mid generation upgrade.
There's almost no way MS lets Sony release the PS5, assuming it incorporates Ryzen tech, without having their own counter release. MS won't make up any ground by waiting, and, if the PS5 does release on its own, MS can kiss the next generation good-bye too. The only way MS climbs back into the console race is by releasing a good console at a good price with some good exclusives to coincide with the PS5's release. Or at least that is the way I see it. You have to sway consumers at the beginning of a generation, not in the middle when it's too late. And the longer Sony takes to release the PS5, the better shape MS will be in when next gen does come around. I think Q4 2019 is very doable. Announcements begin at E3 next year followed by release in a little over a year after that. 2020 at the absolute latest, but 3 years away from the end of this year seems really really... really............ long.

Top Bottom