• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office [OT] 07•30/8•1•10 - Nolan's dream is still alive, Schmucks eat cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Solo said:
TDK + Inception + guaranteed hit in Batman 3 has probably secured Nolan carte blanche with WB for the rest of his life. I just hope he puts down his pen and stays behind the camera.

:lol The fuck is this shit?

Solo said:
TDK + Inception + guaranteed hit in Batman 3 has probably secured Nolan carte blanche with WB for the rest of his life. I just hope he puts down his pen and stays behind the camera.
You are so dumb. You really are so dumb. Fo' real.

thekad

Banned
Solo said:

Solo said:
I thought I was pretty clear, but to clarify even further -

Christopher Nolan, director? Yay
Christopher Nolan, writer? Nay

Inception's weak link is its script, courtesy or Mr. Nolan.

Director-Christopher-Nola-001.jpg

umad?

Solo

jett said:
:lol The fuck is this shit?

EDIT: predictable responses :lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I wonder what next week's numbers are going to look like. The only real competitors are The Other Guys and Step Up 3D

Solo said:

Pretty much. He needs to at LEAST work with his brother, but even they should probably have somebody pass over their script to remove some of the clunk.

jett

D-Member
Solo said:

predictable responses to a worthless opinion.

Solo

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Pretty much. He needs to at LEAST work with his brother, but even they should probably have somebody pass over their script to remove some of the clunk.

Exactly. Inception is a great idea with a great cast giving great performances, but saddled with paper-thin characters, a ton of clunky exposition, and plot details so blurry that after a 100 page thread at GAF, people still can't agree on what even happened in the movie (and no, I'm not referring to interpretations, but rather simple plot details).

Hence, I want Mr. Nolan to put down the pen. By all means, come up with ideas, but get someone more competent to pen them. His brother is a start.

DMczaf

It's probably the worst screenplay I have ever seen. I can't believe someone let Chris near a pen. He shouldn't even be allowed to read screenplays!

Combine

Banned
Have Nolan pen the next Avatar film and it might actually be watchable. :D

j/k, but seriously, Cameron sucks so much more at writing a script.

thekad

Banned
Just to be clear, things of Inception that suck, according to Solo:

1) the camera work
2) the characters
3) the writing

One more week on top and Inception's story will be both trite and banal :lol

edit: oh, he laid it out for me

DMczaf

thekad said:

1) the camera work
2) the characters
3) the writing

One more week on top and Inception's story will be both trite and banal :lol

edit: oh, he laid it out for me

When Nolan makes a bomb, it will be the greatest film in the history of cinema?

Solo

thekad said:

1) the camera work

? Kindly post a quote where I ragged on cinematography. Pro-tip: you won't find one. I have said Nolan still sucks with action, but thats as much as I've said about anything in that regard. In fact, I actually said that Pfister will get another well deserved Oscar nom for Inception.

Haters gonna hate (or at the very least, put words in my mouth)
:smug

jett

D-Member
DMczaf said:
It's probably the worst screenplay I have ever seen. I can't believe someone let Chris near a pen. He shouldn't even be allowed to read screenplays!

Certainly, it should be illegal for Chris Nolan to know how to read and write. Someone needs to slap the literacy out of him.

LM4sure

Banned
Inception number 1 three weeks in a role. Nice!! Are there plans for a sequel yet?

Sequel needs more Joseph Gordon-Levitt and less Leonardo Dicaprio though.

vooglie

Solo said:

I watched The Prestige again last night, and man it's as good as ever.

I also really liked Inception, but not as much as The Prestige. But maybe I need to watch Inception again.

In summary: I maybe agree with you, not sure yet.

Solo

The Prestige is his best movie.

LM4sure said:

Why? Leo was awesome in this, and JGL was completely wasted. Let him do projects where he can actually use his gifts, and leave Inc2pted to Tom Hardy or someone else.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Solo is nutso. Nolan is an amazing writer and that is what makes his films stand out from the rest. His brother is obviously great as well. Clearly, Nolan likes the comfort of making movies that are his, and not have them changed mid-production, so he will continue to write until he starts making shit, which i dont see happening anytime soon.

Culex

Banned
Well deserved at no. 1 for the 3rd straight week!

I think this will EASILY top out above 250 million for the US.

thekad

Banned
Solo said:
? Kindly post a quote where I ragged on cinematography. Pro-tip: you won't find one. I have said Nolan still sucks with action, but thats as much as I've said about anything in that regard.

Since when was camera work not involved in the filming of action scenes (as far as I know, you didn't have an issue with the choreography)?

Stay tuned for next week's episode of "Haters Gonna Hate"! Here's a sneak preview:

Solo said:
Look, Inception has made a lot of money, but Christopher Nolan is a cross-dresser.

LM4sure

Banned
Solo said:

Why? Leo was awesome in this, and JGL was completely wasted. Let him do projects where he can actually use his gifts, and leave Inc2pted to Tom Hardy or someone else.

Well first of all, Leo's character was a complete fuck up in the movie. Second, he played a similar character from the last movie he did, Shutter Island. The whole dead wife thing is getting old. Third, JGL was in the best scene in the movie and was completely bad ass.

jett

D-Member
LM4sure said:
Inception number 1 three weeks in a role. Nice!! Are there plans for a sequel yet?

Inception doesn't need a sequel.

~Kinggi~ said:
Solo is nutso. Nolan is an amazing writer and that is what makes his films stand out from the rest. His brother is obviously great as well. Clearly, Nolan likes the comfort of making movies that are his, and not have them changed mid-production, so he will continue to write until he starts making shit, which i dont see happening anytime soon.

tru dat.

Chris Nolan the writer/director: awesomesauce. It's no surprise that his weakest movie, Insomnia, is also the one he didn't write.

AnkitT

Solo said:
? Kindly post a quote where I ragged on cinematography. Pro-tip: you won't find one. I have said Nolan still sucks with action, but thats as much as I've said about anything in that regard. In fact, I actually said that Pfister will get another well deserved Oscar nom for Inception.

Haters gonna hate (or at the very least, put words in my mouth)
:smug
:lol

LM4sure

Banned
jett said:
Inception doesn't need a sequel.

Most movies don't "need" a sequel. Toy Story didn't need two sequels. The first one wrapped itself up really nicely, but TS3 was amazing.

Your point is invalid.

Solo

LM4sure said:
Well first of all, Leo's character was a complete fuck up in the movie. Second, he played a similar character from the last movie he did, Shutter Island. The whole dead wife thing is getting old. Third, JGL was in the best scene in the movie and was completely bad ass.

Leo's character was meant to be a "complete fuck up". Who wouldn't do a Scorsese and Nolan movie, even if they had eerie similarities? The best scene in the movie had everyone in it.

Takao

Banned
BigJonsson said:
Cats and Dogs cost 85 million? :lol

Who even decided that making that movie would be a good idea? The first one is nearly 10 years old, and children's movies that aren't animated don't stay relevent very long.

Solo said:

Yeah, a movie which final grand twist is evident since the first hour, and visually speaking is bland compared to Memento or TDK.

neither the characters are that great, is a good movie, but better than Memento and TDK? I don't think so.

vooglie

Relaxed Muscle said:
Yeah, a movie which final grand twist is evident since the first hour, and visually speaking is bland compared to Memento or TDK.

neither the characters are that great, is a good movie, but better than Memento and TDK? I don't think so.

Well yeah, since the characters quite literally spell it out, of course it's evident. And I guess I just don't see the bland visuals or the so-so characters. I really enjoyed the rivalry between Borden and Angier and how it paralleled the rivalry between Tesla and Edison.

Solo

Relaxed Muscle said:

First off, the "twist" is irrelevant. If your viewing was ruined by knowing it, then you were watching it for the wrong reasons. The movie is all about obsession and the lengths two men would go to in order to be the best. If life-ruining sacrifices for the sake of ego doesn't float your boat, then I could see how you might not dig it. As to the second item, The Prestige is anything but bland visually. Its a spectacle of cinematography. The lighting in particular is immaculate.

vooglie

Solo said:
First off, the "twist" is irrelevant. If your viewing was ruined by knowing it, then you were watching it for the wrong reasons. The movie is all about obsession and the lengths two men would go to in order to be the best. If life-ruining sacrifices for the sake of ego doesn't float your boat, then I could see how you might not dig it. As to the second item, The Prestige is anything but bland visually. Its a spectacle of cinematography. The lighting in particular is immaculate.

What's especially cool about the lighting is that it was mostly just natural lighting.

The cinematography of The Prestige is really really good.

Solo

vooglie said:
What's especially cool about the lighting is that it was mostly just natural lighting.

The cinematography of The Prestige is really really good.

The scene with all the lightbulbs in the ground at Tesla's compound was done so well.

harSon

Banned
brianjones said:
why do people keep bringing up nolan's brother like they have any idea just how much he contributes to the films.

Christopher Nolan's recent quotes regarding Batman 3's development makes it seem like Jonathan does the hefty living within their collaborations:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/a-man-and-his-dream-christopher-nolan-and-inception/
Q: So Jonathan has at least finished the screenplay?

A: Oh, yeah. He’s been working on a script for a long time. And working very hard. So he tells me.

Instro

So Inception should be able to crack $450 million worldwide. Very nice, although next week The Other Guys will probably take top spot since its tracking for like a 30-40 million opener.

If Shutter Island doesn't win an Oscar for best cinematography, then there will be blood. The flashback scenes with the nazi camp and Leo in his apartment with his wife were amazingly well shot.

Solo

Jason's Ultimatum said:
If Shutter Island doesn't win an Oscar for best cinematography, then there will be blood.

Dude, you literally stole this quote from me :lol I said this in one of the Inception threads a week or so ago :lol

Mrbob

Great weekend for Inception. Good hold for Salt as well. :D I want a sequel, fun movie!

The road to 300 million might be off the books now, but Inception will end up with at least a 4.5 multiplier which is fantastic. Could creep to 300 million but I'm thinking around 270 to 285 now. I wanted to see Nolan take down Iron Man another year but maybe we'll have to wait for the home movie release to do that!

Dead

well not really...yet
Relaxed Muscle said:

Prestige shits all over TDKs chest

jett

D-Member
Jason's Ultimatum said:
If Shutter Island doesn't win an Oscar for best cinematography, then there will be blood. The flashback scenes with the nazi camp and Leo in his apartment with his wife were amazingly well shot.

The quicker Shutter Island is forgotten the better.

Zeliard

harSon said:
Christopher Nolan's recent quotes regarding Batman 3's development makes it seem like Jonathan does the hefty living within their collaborations:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/a-man-and-his-dream-christopher-nolan-and-inception/

This is almost complete conjecture, but my guess is that in films where they share credit, Chris Nolan comes up with the big ideas and the crazy concepts and tasks his brother Jonathan with writing the details in the script.

I think Chris Nolan himself is a much better writer than James Cameron, but that's pretty much exactly what Cameron needs. Cameron is a terrific idea and concept guy, but he needs somebody else to be writing the actual scripts, especially the dialogue.

Someone dial up Bob Cameron.

Solo

Zeliard said:
I think Chris Nolan himself is a much better writer than James Cameron, but that's pretty much exactly what Cameron needs. Cameron is a terrific idea and concept guy, but he needs somebody else to be writing the actual scripts, especially the dialogue.

Nolan and Cameron both should stick to broad concepts/story ideas and direction, and leave the nuts and bolts writing to others.

Solo said:

I completely disagree, but whatever. You guys are in the minority.

harSon said:

shrug

Is that how the collaboration with the The Dark Knight is going? Because you weren't there for the first one right?

Jonathan Nolan: I worked on that film for a long time, but more of an assistant or consultant or whatever you want to call it. On this one I wrote the first draft, David Courier and Chris came up with this awesome story that I was able to do the first draft on. Chris is now doing re-writes and I hope to get back a...back on that picture in a few weeks here. Those are really fun movies to work on.

that sounds rather mutual if anything to me.

it seems more like a convenient argument to use against inception that he "needs his big bro"

artist

Banned
brianjones said:
why do people keep bringing up nolan's brother like they have any idea just how much he contributes to the films.
Cause it's easy to make bullshit up.

I liked the action in Inception a lot better than other 'action' movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom