• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office [OT] 07•30/8•1•10 - Nolan's dream is still alive, Schmucks eat cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

International numbers

Christopher Nolan’s Inception claimed the overseas box office crown with an estimated $53.7m weekend haul from more than 7,500 screens in 51 markets.

The sterling effort saw the Warner Bros Pictures International (WBPI) release overtake Toy Story 3 and soar to $170m after three weekends.

Domestic: $193,348,000 53.2%
+ Foreign: $170,000,000 46.8%

= Worldwide: $363,348,000

vooglie

Jason's Ultimatum said:
If Shutter Island doesn't win an Oscar for best cinematography, then there will be blood. The flashback scenes with the nazi camp and Leo in his apartment with his wife were amazingly well shot.

Oh hell yes.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
DMczaf said:
International numbers

So good.
Inception-Christopher-Nolan-and-Leonardo-DiCaprio-12-4-10-kc.jpg

jett

D-Member
Massive success overseas indeed. This one's definitely gonna break the 500 million barrier and might reach 600. Phoenix Dark on suicide watch.

BTW Inception is only 9 million behind Batman Begins. :)

irfan said:
Cause it's easy to make bullshit up.

I liked the action in Inception a lot better than other 'action' movies.

Surely you didn't like it better than the action movie classic and tour-de-force that is Quantum of Solace?

Zeliard

I feel vaguely vindicated after those arguments I had with people on GAF prior to Inception's release as to its box office potential. I would dig up some quotes, but as I'm an awesome person, I won't stoop to that. ;)

Somnia

vooglie said:
A question about Jonathan Nolan: how come he's got an American accent and Chris has a British accent?

One may stay in the states longer than the other and it's just naturally happened?

jett

D-Member
vooglie said:
A question about Jonathan Nolan: how come he's got an American accent and Chris has a British accent?

The Nolan boys moved to Chicago at a young age. Chris was old enough to retain his British accent, Jonathan wasn't.

Solo

Because Chris is pretentious and Jonathan is not. Real talk.

jett said:
Surely you didn't like it better than the action movie classic and tour-de-force that is Quantum of Solace?

You basically accuse me of trolling Nolan, then you try miserably to bait me

Never change, jett :lol

DMczaf

vooglie said:

It's because we all know that how to get laid the most in college is have a shitty acoustic guitar or speak with an accent.

Chris got tons of trim.

McLovin

*looks at Despicable me total gross*
Holy shit! Almost as much as inception with much less then half the budget.

The only evidence I need to see that Jonathan Nolan does a lot of the work in their collaborations is to look at the screenplays; The Prestige and The Dark Knight, the two films on which he's worked, have much better, tigheter screenplays than Inception (though TDK does suffer from some clunky, pandering lines, hence my belief that even the Nolan Brothers together don't always produce gold and probably need a third, objective person with an ear for dialogue to read their work).

mackaveli

DMczaf said:
International numbers

are these good foreign numbers? it looks good but I dont know how to analyze the numbers.

vooglie

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
The only evidence I need to see that Jonathan Nolan does a lot of the work in their collaborations is to look at the screenplays; The Prestige and The Dark Knight, the two films on which he's worked, have much better, tigheter screenplays than Inception (though TDK does suffer from some clunky, pandering lines, hence my belief that even the Nolan Brothers together don't always produce gold and probably need a third, objective person with an ear for dialogue to read their work).

Wasn't David Goyer the third writer of TDK? I'd blame him.

Dead

well not really...yet
Pinzer said:
Cliches aren't good ideas or concepts.
Yeah, movies about people who remote control genetically engineered extraterrestrials in order to interact with an alien species that can connect their brain stems to their planet that happens to essentially be one gigantic planetmind are a dime a dozen.

vooglie

Dead said:
Yeah, movies about people who remote control genetically engineered extraterrestrials in order to interact with an alien species that can connect their brain stems to their planet that happens to essentially be one gigantic planetmind are a dime a dozen.

This part is awesome.

The part that turns Pocahontas into isn't :(

bathala

Banned
entrement said:
Only 6OM? Pretty disappointing given its budget.
the walrus said:
Come on - 60 million opening is merely okay, not "very good". I mean, it will struggle to make a profit, and if a sequel doesn't happen then WB will have essentially gained nothing.

:lol :lol

Deku

Banned
jett said:
Massive success overseas indeed. This one's definitely gonna break the 500 million barrier and might reach 600. Phoenix Dark on suicide watch.

BTW Inception is only 9 million behind Batman Begins. :)

Will hit 625million. 40/60 split assuming it stops at 250 million domestically. Which may be a bit low as it will be at or close to 230 million after next weekend

The film opened a week late (July 25) instead of July 16 in NA and uK due to the world cup. So the rest of the world is tracking a week behind too.

Deku

Banned
lawblob said:
Also remarkable since it isn't puffed up by the 3D tax.

The surcharge we pay for glasses count towards the B.O. gross? I thought it was something the theatres charged for...

if so, one less reason for me to support 3D movies.

Dead

well not really...yet
lawblob said:
Also remarkable since it isn't puffed up by the 3D tax.
How is that remarkable at all?

Its performing like a hit movie, thats all there is to it.

Barrett2

Deku said:
The surcharge we pay for glasses count towards the B.O. gross? I thought it was something the theatres charged for...

I always thought the 3D tax was part of the BO overall total, but maybe I'm mistaken.

-Eddman-

Rapping Granny said:
Deserved, we need more movies like this and less comic book, remakes and vampires movies.

Well, while I agree with this, it's funny that Nolan's next project is a Comic book franchise reboot (and a sequel) about a man who wears a vampire suit.

jett

D-Member
Deku said:

You don't pay for glasses, you pay for the privilege of watching 3D movies. :lol Yeah it counts towards the final gross.

artist

Banned
Deku said:

One of the reasons, number of tickets sold for Toy Story 3 is way less than Nemo. I think the number of 3D % was in the range almost 60% ..

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dead said:

Please, its barely about that awesome concept and dives straight into Dances With Cliches and Bad Dialogue Land within like the first 20-30 minutes

Dead

well not really...yet
HK-47 said:
Please, its barely about that awesome concept and dives straight into Dances With Cliches and Bad Dialogue Land within like the first 20-30 minutes
Nevermind that you're wrong, but that has absolutely shit all to do with what I meant. Those are among the key concepts of the movie, thats an inarguable fact.

C4Lukins

McLovin said:
*looks at Despicable me total gross*
Holy shit! Almost as much as inception with much less then half the budget.

I am more amazed that Despicable could defeat the new Shrek in the US.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
ZephyrFate said:
i'm pretty sure no one watched avatar for the story
Avatar has a very watchable and easy to take in story. James Cameron is good at that. Maybe one of the best. Most people find Avatar's story pretty damn satisfying.

Definitely not for me, but Cameron's got talent.

jett

D-Member
ZephyrFate said:
honestly it is so riddled with cliches that its visual appeal is really the only thing it had going for me as a movie.

sux for you

I personally enjoyed Avatar thoroughly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You know, INCEPTION isn't getting the 3D tax, but it IS getting the IMAX tax. Not as widespread, but it's getting a nice bump from that!

artist

Banned
Y2Kev said:
You know, INCEPTION isn't getting the 3D tax, but it IS getting the IMAX tax. Not as widespread, but it's getting a nice bump from that!
True, but EVERY major release is guaranteed IMAX but not 3D. Just saying ..

JGS

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
i'm pretty sure no one watched avatar for the story
I always [try to] watch movies for the story which is why I didn't care too much for District 9.

Avatar had a great story that was less paint by the numbers than Hurt Locker (Although I liked it too)

GhaleonEB

Glad to see Inception continuing to do well. So much crap made mint this year, it's good to see some original work excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom