• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman Admits Testimony In The Murder of Emmet Till Was Made Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im vehemently opposed to this. I am sick of Black families giving absolution to unrepentant murderers and killers. It's not healthy, it's not healing, and it's not empowering for our people to give remorseless criminals a pass. And if they do decide to do it, for God's sake, we dont need it televised. It's humiliating.

Word.

Like we just supposed to be these ever-suffering people constantly humming negro spirituals forgiving mofos that kill our babies.

zero_suit

Im vehemently opposed to this. I am sick of Black families giving absolution to unrepentant murderers and killers. It's not healthy, it's not healing, and it's not empowering for our people to give remorseless criminals a pass. And if they do decide to do it, for God's sake, we dont need it televised. It's humiliating.

You said it better than I could.

Slayven

FUCKING COSIGNED A MILLION TIMES.

I caught a lot of heat here when I said something similar about the family of the victims of the Charleston shooting. This MUST stop.

You don't have to condemn them, but we got to stop patting folks on the head for killing us.

Forgiveness?

She allowed to unrepentant murderers to die fat and old in their beds, and they want to offer her forgiveness?

Hell no. Had she done the RIGHT THING and never lied in the first place and allowed this to happen, maybe she should be forgiven.

God.

tbm24

I was about to say... let's not act like this doesn't still happen, whether by law enforcement or good ole white/light civilians.

But you should know that when people romanticize about virtually any bygone era they do so from the assumed white and/or privileged perspective.

Generally speaking who is going to romanticize those eras if not those enjoying white privilege the most. The cases of racism with policing is to me, one of the lasting attempts to hold on to the inherent racism of that time given it also hides behind the guise of Justice.

I was about to say... let's not act like this doesn't still happen, whether by law enforcement or good ole white/light civilians.

But you should know that when people romanticize about virtually any bygone era they do so from the assumed white and/or privileged perspective.

Yup. Keep in mind that the murder of James Byrd, where three white supremacists picked out a random old black man, beat the shit out of him, pissed on him, tied him to the back of their truck and dragged him, alive, around town until he was decapitated, and then went to a BBQ after like it was nothing, happened in 1998. But im sure things will get better now that we have a President that empowers white supremacy.

No one has any obligation to forgive anyone, but whether that's healthy or not depends on the individual.

Knowing that at least a few of them died of extremely painful forms of cancer gives me just a tiny little bit of solace.

I hope every waking moment of their lives before they died was agony.

Edit: Please, god, tell me I didn't just read someone white knighting this bitch here.

Please tell me that.

Knowing that at least a few of them died of extremely painful forms of cancer gives me just a tiny little bit of solace.

I hope every waking moment of their lives before they died was agony.

Edit: Please, god, tell me I didn't just read someone white knighting this bitch here.

Please tell me that.

i dunno if it was white knighting but it seemed like a really weird, warped concern troll attempt or something. it really had no place in this thread or any thought really. she got a boy killed and she deserves the worst.

i dunno if it was white knighting but it seemed like a really weird, warped concern troll attempt or something. it really had no place in this thread or any thought really. she got a boy killed and she deserves the worst.

Yeah like, I get there might have been extenuating circumstance for her and all, being afraid of her husband and all that.

But she knew she was going to have that child murdered in cold blood and has stewed in her lies for 60 years while living a long, full life.

I hope she's suffered unimaginable pain every moment of her existence since and dies alone and unloved.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm not white knighting or caping or concern trolling or anything. Everyone was arguing of course she knew exactly what was going to happen.

This happened in 1955, not 1908. Lynching was not a commonplace thing at that point. There were 8 or 9 reported lynchings in the 50s (with the caveat that of course not all of these things were recorded, especially in a backwards place like Mississippi)

That being said, she lied on the stand in a court. Her testimony probably helped admitted child murderers get off and I hate that my writing anything in this thread even makes it seem like I care about her well being or mental state whatsoever. I don't.

I'm not white knighting or caping or concern trolling or anything. Everyone was arguing of course she knew exactly what was going to happen.

This happened in 1955, not 1908. Lynching was not a commonplace thing at that point. There were 8 or 9 reported lynchings in the 50s (with the caveat that of course not all of these things were recorded, especially in a backwards place like Mississippi)

That being said, she lied on the stand in a court. Her testimony probably helped admitted child murderers get off and I hate that my writing anything in this thread even makes it seem like I care about her well being or mental state whatsoever. I don't.

Of course she knew exactly what she was doing. Just because racially motivated killings, of which lynchings were just one part, were down by the mid-50's doesn't mean they went away.

There's a reason there was no shock, there's a reason they were let off, there's a reason they made money off their killing and there's a reason nobody then and nobody today is shocked by this,

It was the expectation.

rjinaz

I'll just say that, if you are always seeming to be on the defense in these kind of threads involving race, even if in your mind you are being completely reasonable, maybe do some self-reflection as to why that might be.

kswiston

The quote from one of the killers in Look Magazine bears sharing again. Hate completely blinds them to how evil they are. This is what a sizable minority of the country wants to bring back.

Well, what else could we do? He was hopeless. I'm no bully; I never hurt a nigger in my life. I like niggers—in their place—I know how to work 'em. But I just decided it was time a few people got put on notice. As long as I live and can do anything about it, niggers are gonna stay in their place. Niggers ain't gonna vote where I live. If they did, they'd control the government. They ain't gonna go to school with my kids. And when a nigger gets close to mentioning sex with a white woman, he's tired o' livin'. I'm likely to kill him. Me and my folks fought for this country, and we got some rights. I stood there in that shed and listened to that nigger throw that poison at me, and I just made up my mind. 'Chicago boy,' I said, 'I'm tired of 'em sending your kind down here to stir up trouble. Goddam you, I'm going to make an example of you—just so everybody can know how me and my folks stand.'

J. W. Milam, Look magazine, 1956

FyreWulff

But people told me if you don't want to get in jail or be lynched, you should just be an upstanding citizen and everything will work out!

you completely missed the point. Like, the point is over there, and you're over here, and science is now trying to find a unified theory just to explain how you missed each other. Top NASA scientists are on this shit. If we ran this statement through the slit experiment, it breaks the laws of quantum physics.

Yup, for the grand crime of whistling* at a white woman a 14-year-old got kidnapped at gunpoint in the middle of the night, beaten for hours, shot and then head his dead body violated further.

*No whistling occurred as revealed by accuser in 2017.

Yes I thought I'd heard of that before. The killers confessed to it not long after right, since they weren't convincted? Fucking disgustimg.

Nepenthe

No one has any obligation to forgive anyone, but whether that's healthy or not depends on the individual.

This goes beyond the individuals in question in the same way that a single unsubstantiated cop killing of an unarmed black man goes beyond those individuals involved. It's another incident in a long list of incidents of white people begging for their souls at the alter of black peoples' hearts, because to make themselves feel better about the system they profit from will make it that much easier to continue ignoring it. All this does is tell white America they can keep getting away with brutalizing us, and all they have to do is say "sorry guiz!" and everything will be alright. This isn't okay.

Glix

But people told me if you don't want to get in jail or be lynched, you should just be an upstanding citizen and everything will work out!

you completely missed the point. Like, the point is over there, and you're over here, and science is now trying to find a unified theory just to explain how you missed each other. Top NASA scientists are on this shit. If we ran this statement through the slit experiment, it breaks the laws of quantum physics.

Sadly, they are no longer allowed to publish the data from the experiments tho.

Slayven

Your continued downplaying of lynching is baffling and a bit disturbing "come on guys sure they had picnics and family gatherings while they strung up black people, but it didn't happen that often".

She didn't feel an ounce of guilt. She just didn't like how it made her an outcast. She made zero attempts at reconciliation with anyone, she didn't like how she ended up on the wrong side of history and that's what made her regretful.

Fuck her, I hope her death was painful and slow.

This shit x infinity.

This shit here.

I hope they want to meet with her to tell her to go fuck herself and there will be no forgiveness and a hex on her entire bloodline.

You guys do realize that this kid did not die as a result of anything she said right? She admitted to lying about a part of it on the witness stand. She was saying something to help set her husband free. The most you could argue was her lie prevented her husband from facing justice. Which we all fucking know they would have gone free anyway.

And really, if you believe the kid could have said anything to justify what happened to him, isn't that the real issue? Her lie was meaningless in reality. Or at least should be meaningless. To call her equally as responsible for the murder? GTFO.

Slayven

You guys do realize that this kid did not die as a result of anything she said right? She admitted to lying about a part of it on the witness stand. She was saying something to help set her husband free. The most you could argue was her lie prevented her husband from facing justice. Which we all fucking know they would have gone free anyway.

And really, if you believe the kid could have said anything to justify what happened to him, isn't that the real issue? Her lie was meaningless in reality. Or at least should be meaningless. To call her equally as responsible for the murder? GTFO.

Her lie killed him, her husband and his friend were just the weapon.

This goes beyond the individuals in question in the same way that a single unsubstantiated cop killing of an unarmed black man goes beyond those individuals involved. It's another incident in a long list of incidents of white people begging for their souls at the alter of black peoples' hearts, because to make themselves feel better about the system they profit from will make it that much easier to continue ignoring it. All this does is tell white America they can keep getting away with brutalizing us, and all they have to do is say "sorry guiz!" and everything will be alright. This isn't okay.
I don't believe forgiveness erases accountability or forcefulness, I see no conflict between the two, and if there is, it's the result of the forgiver not being clear on how to handle these issues.

What do you think she told her husband to make him kill Emmett Till in the first place?

Deepwater

"No you negroes, you're not aware of the situation as it happened, and painting this innocent white woman to be complicit in his murder is shameful"

Cape is flapping extra hard in the wind there

giphy.gif

Cyan

Banned

Ok, lynchings weren't common in 1955, but this isn't some abstraction where you go "hypothetically if randomly selected white woman says x about randomly selected black kid, what is the prior probability that the black kid gets brutally murdered by the white woman's relatives blah de blah." This isn't random. This is a specific woman, who reacted in a specific way to being scared of a black kid.

From what we know about the encounter now that she's admitted her fabrication, it seems like at worst the kid whistled, likely because he had a stutter and whistling helped him talk. This woman gets scared and runs out to her car to get a gun. Ok fine, so far so racist but nobody got hurt.

But then what? Then a whole week later her husband gets back from a trip. She told him about the encounter, instigating her husband enough over the encounter that he started accosting black people who entered the store, driving around and kidnapping another black kid to see if he might be the kid who had the encounter with her, finally culminating in finding Emmett Till, taking him from his home, beating him repeatedly, mutilating him, shooting him, and finally dumping his body in the river.

Why? Was Roy Bryant just a random insane murderer who had found a good excuse to murder someone? Or did he believe that this poor kid had accosted his wife and wanted to do something about it by killing him? (Or maybe just "teach him a lesson" and it went too far, but honestly that's hair-splitting.) I think it's clearly the latter, right?

So now we've got a few more questions. Did his wife not know that he would react like this? Why did she tell him about her encounter with Till at all? What did she expect he would do in response? Where was she while all this was going on? Why didn't she tell him to chill the fuck out after he accosted black kids in the store, after he kidnapped a totally different black kid because he thought he was Till?

Why didn't she say something then and not 60 years later?

Lowmelody

What in ever living fuck is this? Deplorable motherfucking shit post.

Man I miss Bish.

Dali

Alright so this thread has told me Dave is OK and lizardking are people to watch with a shady eye when they post from hence fourth. Congrats guys! You're defending someone that got someone murdered in one of the worst ways imaginable.

This bolded sentence proves that you know you're wrong and full of shit.

Her lie killed him, her husband and his friend were just the weapon.

Did you guys not read this quote....

Well, what else could we do? He was hopeless. I'm no bully; I never hurt a nigger in my life. I like niggers—in their place—I know how to work 'em. But I just decided it was time a few people got put on notice. As long as I live and can do anything about it, niggers are gonna stay in their place. Niggers ain't gonna vote where I live. If they did, they'd control the government. They ain't gonna go to school with my kids. And when a nigger gets close to mentioning sex with a white woman, he's tired o' livin'. I'm likely to kill him. Me and my folks fought for this country, and we got some rights. I stood there in that shed and listened to that nigger throw that poison at me, and I just made up my mind. 'Chicago boy,' I said, 'I'm tired of 'em sending your kind down here to stir up trouble. Goddam you, I'm going to make an example of you—just so everybody can know how me and my folks stand.'

J. W. Milam, Look magazine, 1956

He killed him because of what he "stood there in that shed and listened" to. Not because of what she said. Also the lie that she admitting to is what she said on the witness stand. NOT to her husband. In other words, not what got the boy killed, but what could have influenced the trial in setting her husband free.

I get things like this get people to be so enraged they become blinded but jesus.

Alright so this thread has told me Dave is OK and lizardking are people to watch with a shady eye when they post from hence fourth. Congrats guys! You're defending someone that got someone murdered in one of the worst ways imaginable.

I mean, why don't you just have the discussion? Why do you have to demonize someone who has a different angle and presents it with reason and fact? I'm in no way a racist or even a conservative. What she did was of course deplorable. But I just wish people could sometimes have discourse where they didn't feel they had to use hyperbole to voice their outrage. This forum gets so slanted sometimes it's prohibitive to actual discussion. I say that as a liberal. As open minded people who are interested in truth, facts, justice etc. this should be offensive to you to see other liberals who should believe in the same ideals behave this way.

He killed him because of what he "stood there in that shed and listened" to. Not because of what she said. Also the lie that she admitting to is what she said on the witness stand. NOT to her husband. In other words, not what got the boy killed, but what could have influenced the trial in setting her husband free.

I get things like this get people to be so enraged they become blinded but jesus.
He was only in that position because of her, she's the key, she triggered his torture, why is this so hard to understand?

Slayven

And when a nigger gets close to mentioning sex with a white woman, he's tired o' livin'.

I am sorry if children getting tortured and murdered by racist can't invoke sympathy in you, but don't get mad when people get mad at it.
I mean, why don't you just have the discussion? Why do you have to demonize someone who has a different angle and presents it with reason and fact? I'm in no way a racist or even a conservative. What she did was of course deplorable. But I just wish people could sometimes have discourse where they didn't feel they had to use hyperbole to voice their outrage.
Absolving an admitted murder of murder is not a "different angle"

Deepwater

I mean, why don't you just have the discussion? Why do you have to demonize someone who has a different angle and presents it with reason and fact? I'm in no way a racist or even a conservative. What she did was of course deplorable. But I just wish people could sometimes have discourse where they didn't feel they had to use hyperbole to voice their outrage.

From: http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/till/tillaccount.html

Returning home, Roy asked Carolyn if there was something she wanted to tell him. Her denial angered Roy, and he demanded to hear his wife's version of what had happened inside the store. She told him the version of events she would later repeat in his trial.

But PLEASE keep defending the sanctity of this racist white woman. PLEASE.

Cyan

Banned

I mean, why don't you just have the discussion? Why do you have to demonize someone who has a different angle and presents it with reason and fact? I'm in no way a racist or even a conservative. What she did was of course deplorable. But I just wish people could sometimes have discourse where they didn't feel they had to use hyperbole to voice their outrage. This forum gets so slanted sometimes it's prohibitive to actual discussion. I say that as a liberal. As open minded people who are interested in truth, facts, justice etc. this should be offensive to you to see other liberals who should believe in the same ideals behave this way.
Yes, yes, good source. From that same article:
Bobo bragged about his white girl. He showed the boys a picture of a white girl in his wallet; and to their jeers of disbelief, he boasted of success with her.

"You talkin' mighty big, Bo," one youth said. "There's a pretty little white woman in the store. Since you know how to handle white girls, let's see you go in and get a date with her?"

"You ain't chicken, are yuh, Bo?" another youth taunted him.

Bobo had to fire or fall back. He entered the store, alone, stopped at the candy case. Carolyn was behind the counter; Bobo in front. He asked for two cents' worth of bubble gum. She handed it to him. He squeezed her hand and said: "How about a date, baby?"

She jerked away and started for Juanita Milam. At the break between counters, Bobo jumped in front of her, perhaps caught her at the waist, and said: "You needn't be afraid o' me, Baby. I been with white girls before."

At this point, a cousin ran in, grabbed Bobo and began pulling him out of the store. Carolyn now ran, not for Juanita, but out the front, and got the pistol from the Milam car.

Outside, with Bobo being ushered off by his cousins, and with Carolyn getting the gun, Bobo executed the "wolf whistle" which gave the case its name.
Oh look it's the story that we just learned was made up.

Lowmelody

You dont know what the FUCK youre talking about and then you go and reuse republican talking points to shame people. Fuck you, holy shit.

I am sorry if children getting tortured and murdered by racist can't invoke sympathy in you, but don't get mad when people get mad at it.
Absolving an admitted murder of murder is not a "different angle"

This is what I'm talking about. Where in the world did I ever say anything about not invoking sympathy? Where did I absolve a murderer? She's a perjurer. I guess I absolved a perjurer of murder sure. But people are accusing her of it.

From: http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/till/tillaccount.html

But PLEASE keep defending the sanctity of this racist white woman. PLEASE.

BUT if she lied to her husband to cause the acts that would be worse than just perjury. That's not why HE said he did it but sure it could be. We can speculate all we want and also speculate he would have killed him without the lie. I'm not saying it's not deplorable but so many like to go off the deep end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom