• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman Admits Testimony In The Murder of Emmet Till Was Made Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepwater

This is what I'm talking about. Where in the world did I ever say anything about not invoking sympathy? Where did I absolve a murderer? She's a perjurer. I guess I absolved a perjurer of murder sure. But people are accusing her of it.

BUT if she lied to her husband to cause the acts that would be worse than just perjury. That's not why HE said he did it but sure it could be.

What is achieved in absolving "some" of the guilt of this woman? Why is this so important to you? You're speaking in what ifs just so that we would stop railroading her in this thread.

I want to know why you felt so compelled to come to her defense

Slayven

This is what I'm talking about. Where in the world did I ever say anything about not invoking sympathy? Where did I absolve a murderer? She's a perjurer. I guess I absolved a perjurer of murder sure. But people are accusing her of it.

BUT if she lied to her husband to cause the acts that would be worse than just perjury. That's not why HE said he did it but sure it could be.

You guys do realize that this kid did not die as a result of anything she said right? She admitted to lying about a part of it on the witness stand. She was saying something to help set her husband free. The most you could argue was her lie prevented her husband from facing justice. Which we all fucking know they would have gone free anyway.

And really, if you believe the kid could have said anything to justify what happened to him, isn't that the real issue? Her lie was meaningless in reality. Or at least should be meaningless. To call her equally as responsible for the murder? GTFO.

Right about there

giphy.gif

Caelus

A little boy lynched and brutalized to the point of an unrecognizable corpse, an event which propelled the Civil Rights movement forward... and we're still having this fucking discussion over the granularities and semantics over the racist woman who condemned him to death?

Fuck off with that shit. Rest in Peace, Emmet.

What is achieved in absolving "some" of the guilt of this woman? Why is this so important to you? You're speaking in what ifs just so that we would stop railroading her in this thread.

I want to know why you felt so compelled to come to her defense

I feel no compulsion to defend her. It's not about her. She is still evil in my eyes. It's about discourse on this forum and how people pile on and toss aside reason.

But, I just originally read the quote of him saying why he did it. If that was true then I stand by what I said. If it was the second hand account (of what Cyan posted) of the made up story that she lied to him to get him to do something to the kid that's different.

Bigfoot

You dont know what the FUCK youre talking about and then you go and reuse republican talking points to shame people. Fuck you, holy shit.
Ahhh, you kind-of just proved his point. This forum certainly has a lot more "Fuck you, holy shit" posts than it does proper discussion.

Deepwater

I feel no compulsion to defend her. It's not about her. She is still evil in my eyes. It's about discourse on this forum and how people pile on and toss aside reason.

How dare we call this racist piece of woman a piece of shit like she is. Her and all her kin.

How. Dare. We.

Well when you come and post in defense of white supremacy and racists, you shouldn't expect a reasoned discussion.

I mean, I guess I don't understand why trying to get to the truth of a matter is "defending" them. It's just finding the truth. Whether that helps or hurts them is not relevant. There is no agenda to helping or harming. It's not defending racism or racists. It's sad that's so hard for so many to understand and see the difference.

If I say I don't think a drunk driver who hit and kills someone should be charged with murder because that is not the definition of murder, am I defending drunk drivers? Or am I defending the definition and punishment of murder?

Lowmelody

Ahhh, you kind-of just proved his point. This forum certainly has a lot more "Fuck you, holy shit" posts than it does proper discussion.

Because abjectly stupid shit like the historical revision of the cause of Emmett fucking Till being savaged happens more often these days.

Slayven

But, I just originally read the quote of him saying why he did it. If that was true then I stand by what I said. If it was the second hand account (of what Cyan posted) of the made up story that she lied to him to get him to do something to the kid that's different.

What reason? People coming in ignoring long proven facts so they can play devils advocate? That is not a discussion that being disingenuous for the hell of it. That is what damages discourse

I mean, I guess I don't understand why trying to get to the truth of a matter is "defending" them. It's just finding the truth. Whether that helps or hurts them is not relevant. There is no agenda to helping or harming. It's not defending racism or racists. It's sad that's so hard for so many to understand and see the difference.

There isn't looking for truth it is looking for a racism to say this isn't racism or this woman didn't commit murder. Funny how people only want to dig for truth to absolve the systematic system that still allows murder of black people today.

Nabs

I've typed out 10 different replies to this, but I can't do it. I keep reading the "fuck you, holy shit" quote and I feel that. It's what I feel when someone tries to explain away racism and white supremacy.

Deepwater

I mean, I guess I don't understand why trying to get to the truth of a matter is "defending" them. It's just finding the truth. Whether that helps or hurts them is not relevant. It's not defending racism or racists. It's sad that's so hard for so many to understand.

You made an irreverent claim and after getting called out on it moved the goalposts to maybe, buts, and ifs. Then doubled down and said you were only interested in "the truth"

Stop lying as if you came into this thread with honest intentions

Bigfoot

Tell me why we should be kind to someone who defends white supremacist?
I never said you should be kind. I'm just saying he made a post that basically said posters would rather insult instead of discuss something and it gets followed up by a response with an insult.

By all means insult away.

Lois_Lane

I never said you should be kind. I'm just saying he made a post that basically said posters would rather insult instead of discuss something and it gets followed up by a response with an insult.

That's because his discussion is shit. Are we going to start discussing whether the Japanese internment was right now? Are we going to discuss whether or not hispanics were illegally deported in operation wetback? When do people start reading up on shit before reopening every damn wound like they're the sharp ones.

Dali

Ok facts: 14 year old emmett till brutally murdered on August 28th 1955 after allegedly coming onto a white woman.

GWrbVcF.jpg

This is what he looked like after the murder. All accounts point to his murder being the result of him coming onto the white co-proprietor of a grocery store in Money, MS. You have any new evidence you want to submit?

Fisty

Man these racists don't even try to hide their shit anymore, Trump's America baby

"Yeah I committed perjury which led to the murder of an innocent child, so what?"

Enzom21

What discussion should we be having here? How it isn't that poor white woman's fault that two pieces of shit torture a child to death?
He spins racism so much he should be called The Top

I haven't seen someone rush in to defend white supremacy this much since seanspeed.

Lowmelody

That you don't see how what he has been saying, in detail, has been horrendously insulting and instead clutch pearls at the response to such incorrigible ignorance is telling.

You made an irreverent claim and after getting called out on it moved the goalposts to maybe, buts, and ifs. Then doubled down and said you were only interested in "the truth"

Stop lying as if you came into this thread with honest intentions

OK dude ya got me! You're so clever. If anyone knew me in real life you would know how laughable it is to insinuate I'm in any way a racist. I support and walk with BLM FFS. But whatever you know me too well I guess.

Slayven

White Supremacy is magical even when a racist comes out and says they did shit cause they are racist, folks will kill themselves trying to spin it into something else.

OK dude ya got me! You're so clever. If anyone knew me in real life you would know how laughable it is to insinuate I'm in any way a racist. I support and walk with BLM FFS. But whatever you know me too well I guess.

"I have black friends, but I am still going to question Emmett Till"

I feel sorry for them

Lois_Lane

That's cute. You do realize that sometimes racists can act progressive too right? Ever heard of LBJ? Or about this little known term known as white feminism? BLM is not your black friend you can trot out whenever you want a cover to justify spouting racist shit.

What kind of discussion is their to be had really? This women's actions lead to the death of a child and she waited nearly 60 years to admit she lied. This women has expressed no remorse for what she did and she is a coward.

White Supremacy is magical even when a racist comes out and says they did shit cause they are racist, folks will kill themselves trying to spin it into something else.

"I have black friends, but I am still going to question Emmett Till"

I feel sorry for them

I don't have fucking token black friends. I support and strongly believe in equality for all people in all ways is my only point. But no, because someone might disagree with you they have to be racist.

Glix

I don't have fucking token black friends. I support and strongly believe in equality for all people in all ways. But no, because someone might disagree with you they have to be racist.

Its not because they disagree. Its because of the content of the disagreeing posts.

Bigfoot

What discussion should we be having here? How it isn't that poor white woman's fault that two pieces of shit torture a child to death?

I haven't seen someone rush in to defend white supremacy this much since seanspeed.

That you don't see how what he has been saying, in detail, has been horrendously insulting and instead clutch pearls at the response to such incorrigible ignorance is telling.

What kind of discussion is their to be had really? This women's actions lead to the death of a child and she waited nearly 60 years to admit she lied. This women has expressed no remorse for what she did and she is a coward.
Alright. I see what you guys are getting at. Sorry, I just read his post about lack of discussion and saw the post after it which seemed ironic to me. I didn't read too far in to what his actually argument was.

I still wish this forum wasn't so aggressive though. There is an ignore option for a reason.

Lois_Lane

I don't have fucking token black friends. I support and strongly believe in equality for all people in all ways is my only point. But no, because someone might disagree with you they have to be racist.

You are disagreeing about the culpability of a white woman who knew fucking well what happened to black people in the south during the fucking 50's. Take the L and move on.

Deepwater

No guys, you don't understand. We need to have nuanced discussion about moral parity all the time, every time.

Black boys getting lynched is obviously the right topic where we need to start advocating for this kind of discussion. We should all come up with three reasons on how this couldn't be an abhorrent racist act indicative of America's past and present.

And yet, here you are, talking down to black folks and others who are upset at you for this weird defense of a racist piece of shit who was fundamental in one of the most prolific race related murders in the history of this country. A child, on top of that.

With "allies" like you...

You are disagreeing about the culpability of a white woman who knew fucking well what happened to black people in the south during the fucking 50's. Take the L and move on.

I already said if her lie is what caused him to do this (and she knew it would be detrimental which she did) then yes I acquiesce my point. As you can see in my first post I believed it wasn't her lie that caused it, only that this lie was just told during the trial after he was already dead. There was a quote from him explaining why he did it though and it said he did it because of what he heard the kid say.

Slayven

I didn't trot out minorities to shield me when i am talking suspect shit.

Lois_Lane

I already said if her lie is what caused him to do this (and she knew it would be detrimental) then yes I acquiesce my point. There was a quote from him explaining why he did it though and it didn't say that.

1. Why would you believe the murderer over her own words?

2. Why would she lie for him all these years if she didn't think it caused it?

For the love of all that is holy, exit the conversation and just go read up on the murder. And read from books written by black authors and known allies. Come back when you've done that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

You might not be racist but you sure do love coming to the defence of racists.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm not white knighting or caping or concern trolling or anything. Everyone was arguing of course she knew exactly what was going to happen.

This happened in 1955, not 1908. Lynching was not a commonplace thing at that point. There were 8 or 9 reported lynchings in the 50s (with the caveat that of course not all of these things were recorded, especially in a backwards place like Mississippi)

That being said, she lied on the stand in a court. Her testimony probably helped admitted child murderers get off and I hate that my writing anything in this thread even makes it seem like I care about her well being or mental state whatsoever. I don't.

My father, born in 1955, was almost murdered a few years later, when he mistakenly drank from a whites only fountain. My grandmother had to beg for his life.

You seem to have no idea, how dangerous and lawless life in the 1950s and 60s was still for Blacks living in the South.

You guys are ridiculous. I'll just step out.

FWIW I appreciate like the 1 or two people who actually tried having some discourse instead of just shouting racist.

FyreWulff

You know "just said words, didn't pull the trigger" is what white supremacists use an excuse to try and say they have nothing to do when their underlings murder black citizens?

hold any more water for the KKK and you might be able to put out the burning cross at the next meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom