• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman Review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are bad, and there are 27% RT bad. BvS is not worse than Green Lantern ffs. But the hot thing at the time was calling it "The Donald Trump of movies".

Snyder is just a divisive filmmaker. I like half of his filmography and absolutely loved Man of Steel but I hated BvS with the fury of a thousand suns. And yet I still respect the guy as a director. The critics don't have anything against him, the nature of his work is just polarizing and always will be. Green Lantern was bad but mostly innofensive, hence why it didn't invite the same extreme reactions.

Great to see that Wonder Woman seems to be turned out good and that critics finally matter to DC fans.

Was this dig needed? Couldn't you just wrote the first part of the sentence and call it a day? Like this stuff is the bullshit threads don't need. Generalizing entire communities is not great.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
A mainstream comicbook universe? So we are back again at the argument that BvS is to artsy for the stupid idiots who go the cinema ag watch Superheros doing stuff?

Snyder is just a divisive filmmaker. I like half of his filmography and absolutely loved Man of Steel but I hated BvS with the fury of a thousand suns. The critics don't have anything against him, the nature of his work is just polarizing and always will be. Green Lantern was bad but mostly innofensive, hence why it didn't invite the same extreme reactions.

Exactly. It was just bland and forgettable.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Was this dig needed? Couldn't you just wrote the first part of the sentence and call it a day? Like this stuff is the bullshit threads don't need. Generalizing entire communities is not great.
Yes it was.
Dont take everything I say about this shit personally. You are one of the sane people.

Ahasverus

A mainstream comicbook universe? So we are back again at the argument that BvS is to artsy for the stupid idiots who go the cinema ag watch Superheros doing stuff?
No? I mean, it does have more artistic intention than most other cbm, more comparable to logan than The Avengers BUT that's not its problem, it's that its take was too removed for what fans and the general public expect. I say it deconstructed too much to the point most people feel it was uncomfortably removed from familiarity,

Cool that it seems like it will be received decently, the trailers didn't give me a whole lot of hope. And with decent it already feels like twice the quality of the last few DC movies for me, so I'm happy about that.

zeemumu

I'm glad that if any movie is gonna save the DCEU it's this one.

Or Aquaman. I'd be fine with Aquaman saving the DCEU too.

Wasn't Justice League War based on the New 52 reboot first arc? Never watched the movies, but those comics we're legit some of the worst I have ever read.

Yup, and it had some of the same problems as the first arc. The characters spent more time bickering then actually doing something.

The BvS problem is simple:

It was not too complicated or thoughtful or deconstructive. It was a poorly made film that a lot of people didn't like, and because of the popularity of the characters it was a big disappointment and that is what caused the huge backlash. Great expectations when not met yield great anger.

I don't know why people try to make it about anything more than this. No some writer from The Guardian doesn't hate Snyder with a persona vendetta. Hollywood Reporter isn't being paid by Disney to hate Batman.

Seems like Wonder Woman is just a good movie and critics are scoring it well. Shocker, right? The continuing persecution complex is baffling. I thought it would end here but maybe not.

You know what, I get why DC originally wanted Green Lantern to be the start of the DCEU. Who would have thought that Iron Man would be the start of the MCU? Get a character some people are familiar with but not the mainstream and turn him into a huge star.

phanphare

Banned
I hope this movie is good, the DCEU needs to get their shit together. those characters deserve to have great depictions on the big screen.

strafer

It's hard to think Green Lantern only happened a couple of years ago.

I wonder if the movie had been successful of Ryan would have made Deadpool and instead been focusing on the DCEU.

Weird times.

Veelk

Banned
BvS might have been a controversial take, but at least the UC justifies such vision. It was arguably not the right way to build a mainstream cinematic universe on, but you can't say it didn't try, to say something in a sea of genericness.

I don't have a lot of respect for it trying when what I think it's trying to do or say is something that I don't think is worth saying.

I don't want a psychotic batman who has no compunctions about the lives of those he fights. Batman trying to find the middleground of humanizing criminals and still having to fight them is one of the best things about the character.

I don't want a superman movie whose only concerned about his public image as a modern day god. The best superman moments I can think of is when he's just acting out the part of a normal person.

Before the movie came out, when I heard Zack Snyder quote The Dark Knight Returns on the reveal of BvS, I immediately foresaw the problems I would have with this movie. The Dark Knight Returns is a well written comic, but it's incarnation is Batman is the one I like the least of the best known Batman stories. A well written version of BvS with that being it's inspiration would have been a bittersweet movie for me to watch at best. It was a work that promotes the worst aspects of Batman and hangs them up in admiration. I'm typically someone who thinks that the execution of a concept is more important than the concept itself...but there are still some things I just have no interest in seeing, even if it's written well, and the themes of TDKR are one of them.

Glad to hear good reviews, this wasnt much on my radar but more recent trailers have been pretty good, ill definitely be there opening weekend. I dont like batman v superman, but i really enjoyed the "wonderwoman joins the brawl!!" Moment at the end, im glad to see gadot is such a high point in the reviews. I dont know what gaf will do with itself for the next few months if it cant objectively shit all over this dc movie until justice league, we may have to up the amount of prometheus and bioshock infinite threads to let out some of that anger

The Kree

Banned
The BvS problem is simple:

It was not too complicated or thoughtful or deconstructive. It was a poorly made film that a lot of people didn't like, and because of the popularity of the characters it was a big disappointment and that is what caused the huge backlash. Great expectations when not met yield great anger.

I don't know why people try to make it about anything more than this. No some writer from The Guardian doesn't hate Snyder with a persona vendetta. Hollywood Reporter isn't being paid by Disney to hate Batman.

Seems like Wonder Woman is just a good movie and critics are scoring it well. Shocker, right? The continuing persecution complex is baffling. I thought it would end here but maybe not.

Why would it end here when people are comparing Wonder Woman to MCU movies? It's never going to end.

Yeah. I don't think it was thought out as much at the time just due to the nature of Cinematic Universes being such a fresh concept, but it was apparently going to be the springboard at one point.

Green Lantern is a strange package since they both toned down the cinematic universe baggage and intended for it to be a jumping off point. I mean, the original script has Clark Kent in it.

But Warners' first real attempt at a cinematic universe was with George Miller's Justice League Mortal, picking up round 2007/2008. The plan was to start with Justice League and have spin-offs from there. And it would've been concurrent to stand alone movies like Nolan's Batman. But some tax issues in Australia, the writer's strike, and other factors hurt it.

This was Megan Gale's Wonder Woman from JL Mortal,

loR1FhM.jpg

You know what, I get why DC originally wanted Green Lantern to be the start of the DCEU. Who would have thought that Iron Man would be the start of the MCU? Get a character some people are familiar with but not the mainstream and turn him into a huge star.

That's really not why DC went with Green Lantern in that situation. Pretty sure it's because Green Lantern basically became Geoff Johns's love project and he was given, at that time, a very large part of creative control over DC's film output (I don't know if he still does that or is more regulated to television). I think there was a lot of thought at the time from several people that GL had became way more popular than he was.

N7.Angel

Green Lantern is a strange package since they both toned down the cinematic universe baggage and intended for it to be a jumping off point. I mean, the original script has Clark Kent in it.

But Warners' first real attempt at a cinematic universe was with George Miller's Justice League Mortal, picking up round 2007/2008. The plan was to start with Justice League and have spin-offs from there. And it would've been concurrent to stand alone movies like Nolan's Batman. But some tax issues in Australia, the writer's strike, and other factors hurt it.

She's gorgeous, I take her over Gadot anyday.

Wow, that looks staggeringly awful

Servbot24

Banned
There are bad, and there are 27% RT bad. BvS is not worse than Green Lantern ffs. But the hot thing at the time was calling it "The Donald Trump of movies".
BvS is bad enough that comparison to other bad movies are pointless. Regardless of their badness rank they're all unwatchable.

And to think at the time RDJ was a huge risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom