• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman Review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
It'll be interesting seeing the narrative emerge around JL. I can see it already. It JL is shit it'll be Snyder's fault and Whedon just couldn't right a sinking ship. If Justice League miraculously turns out good/great then I imagine Whedon'll get the lions share of the credit. Regardless of the facts.

I doubt many people will even know that Whedon came in to change things last minute. Snyder will probably still have the director's credit to himself, since Whedon seems to be coming in last minute to just help put the finishing touches on.

It'll be interesting seeing the narrative emerge around JL. I can see it already. It JL is shit it'll be Snyder's fault and Whedon just couldn't right a sinking ship. If Justice League miraculously turns out good/great then I imagine Whedon'll get the lions share of the credit. Regardless of the facts.

I'm sure Whedon would quickly correct those people. Even though he's in charge he knows JL isn't his movie.

jviggy43

The issue with this is that you say 4 is great based on reviews, even though your opinion is clearly the exact opposite of reviews for the early 3.

Yeah but everyone knows that those reviews don't count and WW reviews are the real reviews after critics got exposed for their marvel bias from the last 3 movies.

Excited for a finally (hopefully) good DC film that can get me invested in these characters.

Based on the critics screening reactions the other week this is a certified fresh lock, probably high 70s or even 80s.

The issue with this is that you say 4 is great based on reviews, even though your opinion is clearly the exact opposite of reviews for the early 3.

Ha! You got me.

Although I have a minor quibble with "the exact opposite."

Yeah but everyone knows that those reviews don't count and WW reviews are the real reviews after critics got exposed for their marvel bias from the last 3 movies.

This has never been my argument.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Having seen it, my comparison of Wonder Woman with a Marvel Studios movie is Winter Soldier, which I'd also say compares favorably with Batman Begins and Iron Man 1. fwiw I don't think all Marvel Studios movies are the same.
Okay, I'll take your word for it.

Movie premieres here this week in Friday, so I'll see it.

Mrbob

If this movie doesn't end up certified fresh the opening post gif will live in infamy. But it's tough to trust reviews any more after Alien Covenant.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Kinda crazy realizing this the first time in 9 years we've had a good Marvel flick and a good DC flick out at the same time. Is Patty the new Nolan?

Ahasverus

Wonder where the "critics hate DC" train will go now.
Critics hate Zack Snyder. The hate hard on on him is ridiculous. Suicide Squad did deserve the bad reviews, you don't see any fans defending that piece of trash. Snyder is not perfect, but things get really personal with him.

More or less. We're seeing something similar with Spider-Man Homecoming. Any good decision is Marvel Studios; any bad decision is Sony's. And in fairness, after Amazing Spider-Man 2 maybe that's not far off.

With Justice League, seemingly Zack Snyder had to convince Joss Whedon to accept directing the reshoots, that Joss had already helped write. And Whedon was gracious enough to agree, given how burnt out he was after Avengers AoU.

Oh, right. Wonder Woman thread,

6w8JCmp.jpg

On director shakeups, while Patty Jenkins was ultimately the right person to direct Wonder Woman, I was interested in seeing Michelle MacLaren do a big movie after her great TV work.

Prompto

Banned
Kinda crazy realizing this the first time in 9 years we've had a good Marvel flick and a good DC flick out at the same time. Is Patty the new Nolan?
A good Fox film, a good Marvel film, a good DC film, and potentially a good Sony film all released back to back. That's gotta be a first right?

FTF

TDK and Iron Man in 2008 will probably always be the best DC Marvel combo of all time, but TDKR and Avengers are def a great combo in 2012.

Veelk

Banned
Critics hate Zack Snyder. The hate hard on on him is ridiculous. Suicide Squad did deserve the bad reviews, you don't see any fans defending that piece of trash,

I think it's more that fans have run away with hating Zack Snyder for 'ruining' their childhood idols. I know fans and critics and overlap, but I think professional critics who are published trash his movies mostly on the basis that they are not very good.

I'm seeing it tomorrow, won some passes for the premier from Warner. I have a good feeling about it, but not sure if I should stay away from this thread until I see it.

Critics hate Zack Snyder. The hate hard on on him is ridiculous. Suicide Squad did deserve the bad reviews, you don't see any fans defending that piece of trash. Snyder is not perfect, but things get really personal with him.

Critics don't hate Snyder, they just don't like his movies because they aren't particularly good.

Stop with this.

Veelk

Banned
There are bad, and there are 27% RT bad. BvS is not worse than Green Lantern ffs. But the hot thing at the time was calling it "The Donald Trump of movies".

I think the major difference is the cultural icons that the film was handling.

Green Lantern is a hero that not many people really care that much about, so they are less critical of it's failings. Batman and Superman? Those are the fine china of Superheroes and they need to be handled correctly.

And while you can argue that's a double standard, it certainly applies to me. The same way I care a lot about if they do Wonder Woman correctly, because she's both a favorite superhero of mine and she represents something bigger than herself as a feminist icon. Meanwhile, the flash will....just be another superhero movie. If it's good, great, if it fails, it's inconsequential to me. I care less about it doing well, so it's faults, if it has them, will just not stand out to me as much. Meanwhile, I will be giving WW an eagle eye because I hold that character to higher standards.

That said, I do think that Green Lantern was a legitimately more enjoyable movie than BvS. I don't see much that is salvageable about BvS.

Ahasverus

I think the major difference is the cultural icons that the film was handling.

Green Lantern is a hero that not many people really care that much about, so they are less critical of it's failings. Batman and Superman? Those are the fine china of Superheroes and they need to be done right.

And while you can argue that's a double standard, it certainly applies to me. The same way I care a lot about if they do Wonder Woman correctly, because she's both a favorite superhero of mine and she represents something bigger than herself as a feminist icon. Meanwhile, the flash will....just be another Superhero movie. I care less about it doing well, so it's faults, if it has them, will just not stand out to me as much.

That said, I do think that Green Lantern was a legitimately more enjoyable movie than BvS. I don't see much that is salvageable about BvS.
BvS might have been a controversial take, but at least the UC justifies such vision. It was arguably not the right way to build a mainstream cinematic universe on, but you can't say it didn't try, to say something in a sea of genericness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom