• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman Review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

The DCEU films so far:

1) Great.
2) Best superhero film of all time.
3) Average MCU quality.
4) Based on reviews, great.

Not bad.

for me:

1) Good
2) Masterpiece just under Watchmen
3) More interesting than most MCU in style, but story kinda fell a bit, so average
4) Pretty hyped, looks like a good balance between the fun of Marvel and the effort DC movies put into cinematography and style.

CryptiK

I was hoping this and JL would bomb so they would be forced to reboot they fucked up Batman so hard :/. But if it does well at least JL can still bomb.

Considering how great Man of Steel was and how good the ultimate cut of Batman v Superman was, Wonder Woman must be picture of the year material with these reviews.

VeeP

I was hoping this and JL would bomb so they would be forced to reboot they fucked up Batman so hard :/. But if it does well at least JL can still bomb.

I'm pretty sure we're stuck with the DCU for awhile man. Instead of hoping for these movies to bomb you should hope they turn out good. In the end, the movies are gonna get rebooted again in 10-20 years.

I see that the MCU have been brought up again, wonder if there will be another poll for Thor2 again.

Think WW will fare nicely.

Having seen it, my comparison of Wonder Woman with a Marvel Studios movie is Winter Soldier, which I'd also say compares favorably with Batman Begins and Iron Man 1. fwiw I don't think all Marvel Studios movies are the same.

Yeah, I've been comparing Wonder Woman to Batman Begins a lot personally. It's a good film.

Neoxon

Ditto.

I grew up loving both. It's been frustrating being a DC fan and getting subpar films for so long.

I'll be more than happy to see things change, and happy if Wonder Woman is the film to do it.
This guy gets it. It's okay to like both & to want both to succeed.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm pretty sure we're stuck with the DCU for awhile man. Instead of hoping for these movies to bomb you should hope they turn out good. In the end, the movies are gonna get rebooted again in 10-20 years.

That would make too much sense though.

CryptiK

Yeah. Im just hoping they unfuck Batman. He has had the best visual representation to date just made by people who don't understand him. I'm sure Wonder Woman will do a lot better. That said I also love that people will have to eat crow over Gal in the role.

For Warner's DCEU movies, I'm at,

Man of Steel- OK? Parts I like, but a messy movie overall.
BvS (UC)- Really liked it. Doesn't need to be three hours.
Suicide Squad- Did not like at all.
Wonder Woman- Really liked it.

I know I'm in the minority with Batman v Superman. What I will say is I'm much higher on WW than the BvS theatrical cut, going off the early viewings. Rarely rewatch movies in theaters, maybe once a year, and last year it was Civil War. But I'm gonna watch WW again.

And, outside of my own peculiar taste, and acknowledging these were all early screenings with nerds in attendance, there was a stark contrast between audience reaction in Wonder Woman to BvS and Suicide Squad.

It's difficult for me to proclaim the DCEU saved when a Snyder-directed Justice League film is still around the corner (which I hate to say, the guy's going through it now). But shit, I really pray this movie is phenomenal. The universe needs it, and Wonder Woman should've had a movie decades ago.

Here's hoping.

Bronx-Man

Banned
This guy gets it. It's okay to like both & to want both to succeed.
Well yeah. No one wants to see a shitty Justice League movie or Batman/Superman teamup. We all love these characters, loved them for decades and all we want is to just see them on the big screen done with justice. (Pun slightly intended)

Kayhan

Basically, yeah
At least it gave us this gem
19dw4z7p9tt4agif.gif

This is probably the best Green Lantern has ever looked.

Yep, your opinions on movies got me right in the heart. I'm gonna cry my eyes out for 20 minutes while holding my Kevin Feige plushie.

There, there, little fellow. One of us brought up unrelated shit from some other thread and it wasn't me. It's OK if you like different movies, but there's no need to follow me around and spread nonsense.

With Snyder not directing (condolences) and Whedon finishing the job, I don't think it's gonna bomb. JL also looks like it's trying to correct the issues that were in BvS. If this is the start of the DCEU improving even just a little then that's fine. Too much money is already invested. You can't back down now.

Edit: I know it's still Snyder's movie and Whedon isn't gonna change anything.

Slaythe

With Snyder not directing (condolences) and Whedon finishing the job, I don't think it's gonna bomb.

Whedon isn't remaking the movie, he's just overseeing the new shoots and will handle the final cut.

While he can improve the film, if what was there was shit, he can't turn it into gold.

And if it's good, he shouldn't take the credit.

Anung

Un Rama
With Snyder not directing (condolences) and Whedon finishing the job, I don't think it's gonna bomb.

It'll be interesting seeing the narrative emerge around JL. I can see it already. It JL is shit it'll be Snyder's fault and Whedon just couldn't right a sinking ship. If Justice League miraculously turns out good/great then I imagine Whedon'll get the lions share of the credit. Regardless of the facts.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It'll be interesting seeing the narrative emerge around JL. I can see it already. It JL is shit it'll be Snyder's fault and Whedon just couldn't right a sinking ship. If Justice League miraculously turns out good/great then I imagine Whedon'll get the lions share of the credit. Regardless of the facts.
Huh. It's like Ant-Man but in reverse.

roytheone

The DCEU films so far:

1) Great.
2) Best superhero film of all time.
3) Average MCU quality.
4) Based on reviews, great.

Not bad.

The issue with this is that you say 4 is great based on reviews, even though your opinion is clearly the exact opposite of reviews for the early 3.

But Snyder did direct it.

Whedon isn't remaking the movie, he's just overseeing the new shoots and will handle the final cut.

While he can improve the film, if what was there was shit, he can't turn it into gold.

And if it's good, he shouldn't take the credit.

Snyder directed 98% of the movie. Whedon is not changing anything.

I understand the movie is still Snyder's. I guess I should have phrased that better. I meant Whedon is just gonna finish whatever small thing that is left, not change the movie or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom